Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Mental Health

Comments

• ThatGuyArloThatGuyArlo Posts: 1,430 jayfacer
    Jesus Christ that's insane. I can't even begin to imagine what that experience is like. Good on you for doing what you can to help him. 
  • Dime2Dime2 Posts: 2,790 jayfacer
    You're a good man, Satan
    out of context I didn't realize how my weird my last comment might be
  • SATANSATAN Posts: 25,824 spicy boy
    I appreciate the kind words. 

My wife talked to him on the phone today. While we were trekking him up to Pennsylvania, she convinced him that he needed to get himself in better shape so his “women” could manifest physically. It seems to have worked. His experience when he was institutionalized in Ohio was pretty bad, so we had to guarantee him that this place would be a lot better for him. IMO that has more to do with how he approaches his care than anything. He appears to be engaged…as much as possible. But the idea that he needs to get healthy for his “women” is definitely sticking and has him motivated to improve. I’m not sure how that will work out down the road, but it’s a start. 

I feel good about my role in everything. I had a very dear friend that I knew since middle school that ended up being schizophrenic in adulthood. Dealing with him informed me on how they function and how to deal with them. It’s hard to spot at first because a lot of what they go through in the beginning seems more like drug addiction than mental illness. It’s not until they start speaking to the voices in their head while sober that it’s obvious something more is going on. My friend went through that. He was a dropdead drunk that played around with heavy drugs as well. When he first started hearing voices, he called it his “intuition”, so I didn’t think much of it. It took him telling me a story about the voice telling him to follow women joggers home before I got concerned. Eventually, his “intuition” became a woman named Erin. He ended up working as a welder for a business owned by a common friend. Our friend told me that he would sit around arguing with Erin all day at work. He ended up being forced to take drugs that affected him negatively and made him gain a bunch of weight and died of heatstroke at 36. I feel guilty about him a lot because I always feel like I should’ve done more to help. 

That experience is useful now though because I can adequately explain to my wife’s family what my brother in law is going through. It’s sad how many of them had just written him off. I got through to everyone but their grandmother. She just couldn’t wrap her head around it, and that ended up being part of why she and my wife had such a fight. It sucks because she’s the only member of their family that has much money. Mental health and social services are tremendously better in northern, liberal states. Down here they just indiscriminately toss everyone in jail. It’s barbaric. Up in Pennsylvania, he has a chance though
    edited June 2021
    What does the grandmother not understand? Is she convinced he's on drugs all the time or something?
  • SATANSATAN Posts: 25,824 spicy boy
    She is of the opinion that he wasn’t worth a fuck before his mental illness became apparent, so that means he isn’t worth saving. Old people survive under the myth that how hard you work is indicative of your character, and hes never been a hard worker. It also doesn’t help that all 4 of my mother in law’s children have traveled hard paths. They’ve already disowned my wife’s older brother (who I’ve never even met). It’s hard for me to judge because I’ve never really known him that well. I get the need to cut bait on him to an extent because he used to pawn his mom’s shit all the time. I had to buy her a window a/c unit a couple of years ago because he ran off with hers. He’s stolen things from my kids before as well. However, seeing first hand how bad his mental composure had gotten made me realize he’s likely been off to sea for a while now and only recently got obvious with it
    So my girlfriend broke up with me last night. Kinda been seeing it coming but still a massive shock that likely won't set in fully for awhile.  We've been together 8 1/2 years, lived together for the past 4 years. We never really did fight about anything or ever get angry with one another, it was just a realization that over the last couple years we've been slowly drifting into being friendly roommates rather than a romantic couple. I honestly kind of wish we hated each other at this point, cause this shit sucks. So yeah here's to dealing with everything that comes with this. Knowing her, it'll at least be a cordial process and she'll make it as easy as it can be. I know I'm gonna be alright in the long run, and I'm actually kind of looking forward to getting back to my normal self, which I haven't felt like in a very long time. It's gonna sting for awhile but I'll get through it. 
  • MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,706 spicy boy
    Fuck dude
    Do You Like Hurting Other People?
  • Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,594 spicy boy
    Yeah man that sucks dude. When you have been with someone that long you get so accustomed to just having that person there. Its weird not having that person to talk to, or to text when you need to. 

You be alright though dude. Will take some time, but it kind of sounds like this is for the best considering you didn’t feel like yourself. 

Just be easy on yourself. Know that there will be hard times, but remember theres a lot to look forward to. Think of all that prime texas snatch you can chase now. Think about how you can work on yourself and such. Its not a bad thing. Just feels like it. 

You guys still have to live together for a while? 
    edited July 2021
    Yeah we'll be living together for a bit until she figures out what she wants to do. She works about 15 miles away so she might live closer to that. None of her family is from here so she's limited as to where she can go. Plus our place is two bedroom so I'm gonna have to downsize as well. Oh and we have a dog. 

I don't mind her hanging around until she's ready to move out. I honestly hope we'll be friends after this but you never know how it's gonna work out. She's a sweet girl but it seems as if she's trying to find herself or whatever. I have friends and family around here to see, so I'll be ok and will try to get out more.

As for getting with new people, that'll prolly wait lol part of the issue between us was that I had hardly any sex drive while she wanted it way more. It had been an issue for years to be honest. Not the only reason but it was a big factor in this. 
    Post edited by ThatGuyArlo on
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    Sorry man. The long term breakups always hurt but you'll come out better in the end. Let me know if you need to get anything off your chest
    Will do, man. I really appreciate it. We're each other's first relationship so it makes things even more complicated. Y'all are awesome though, I know I'll be good just gonna take some time. Thank y'all so much. 
  • Jobe_Wan_KenobiJobe_Wan_Kenobi Posts: 19,526 moneytalker
    Hardest part is going to be replacing the old routine with a new one. Make sure it’s a healthy replacement. Hit the gym and maybe go see a Doc and get your testosterone levels checked. The low drive may just be a hormone level thing.  Bring back the Thunder Dick!
    Pass the god damn butter.
    Yeah, i was actually going to mention low T. You dont think about that kind of stuff because you are young, but its totally possible. 
  • NOCAPNOCAP Posts: 37,282 mod
    That sucks Arlo. I hope things work out for you. 

Gonna set up a Tinder with this profile pic and see what I can pick up.

Sorry to hear that man reach out if you need it 
    Yeah dude. If nothing else just get someone to talk to. 

You can definitely get some tits sent to you with that pic. 
  • GnomezGnomez Posts: 17,550 master of ceremonies
    Yeah dude. If nothing else just get someone to talk to. 

You can definitely get some tits sent to you with that pic. 

Even if they are just a picture of Jonnies moobs ...... tits are tits man! Take the offer !
    Dime2 said:
    Sorry to hear that man reach out if you need it 
    Thanks man, I sure will.

I was also gonna say I'd have a beer with you, but after seeing your old vids.......ehhhh I'll let you know if it gets to that point.