Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Mental Health

Comments

• ThatGuyArloThatGuyArlo Posts: 1,430 jayfacer
    Been dealing with some shit myself that's finally starting to get better. 

So my grandma fell and broke her neck about a month ago which has kept me busy with visiting her at least every other day while she was in the hospital/rehab center. The good news is that she's expected to fully heal but it's a slow and painful process to get there. I think the stress of that was the main reason I started drinking again, which is unfortunate but I've been able to cut it out now recently.

But, my grandma is finally back home and it's nice to have that sense of normalcy back. Of course this really has just made me realize how it may not be long till something else happens considering she's 92, but I can't stress over shit that hasn't happened. 

And not gonna lie but the shooting nearby kinda got to me more than I thought it would as well. Not that y'all would know but Allen is a pretty important town to me. My mom grew up there, I worked for the city for awhile, and I have a good number of friends in that town as well. That shopping center was one I've been to a few times, it's a popular place. It's weird to see it in the news for this reason. It just blows. It's a wake up call to me how desensitized I've become to a lot of this shit.
  • Jobe_Wan_KenobiJobe_Wan_Kenobi Posts: 19,528 moneytalker
    Glad your gma is on the mend. It can also be good that you’re aware your time with her isn’t infinite because you can make the most of it now. You still have time to sit and ask questions and hear stories and collect recipes. Treasure that shit. 

The mall shit is fucked though. You hear about that kind of shit all the time but it hits different when it goes down in your own community. 
    Pass the god damn butter.
    Got a call from my buddy today. His sister Ashley (she went to Tool show with us) was shot and killed today. Not sure if it was self inflicted or domestic yet. 
    Good fucking lord
  • Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,596 spicy boy
    Are you talking about the Chicago show? 
    That’s the one. 
  • Dime2Dime2 Posts: 2,790 jayfacer
    Got a call from my buddy today. His sister Ashley (she went to Tool show with us) was shot and killed today. Not sure if it was self inflicted or domestic yet. 
     Damn. She was really sweet 
  • Dime2Dime2 Posts: 2,790 jayfacer
    I think I still have that picture of all of us somewhere 
    I have it on an old iPhone somewhere forsure.
    It’s in the Tool thread. 
  • MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,706 spicy boy
    I fucking hate having alopecia
    Do You Like Hurting Other People?
    There could be a lot worse things though. 

It doesn't effect your physical health right? 

Also you're almost 30. We just call it bald. 
  • FLATFLAT Posts: 60,664 spicy boy
    Yeah my friends 9 year old son wants to throw fist with you. 
    Obviously, I could have like cancer and things be infinitely worse. Still sucks. 

Same with my IBS that nobody seems to be able to help me with. Having to shit borderline diherrea 5 or 6 or 7 times a day gets really old. Especially when Im trying to sleep. 

Autoimmune bullshit
  • FLATFLAT Posts: 60,664 spicy boy
    edited September 2023
    So I know I joked about this in another thread, but my grandma's declining health is starting to take its toll on me. About 5 months ago she broke her neck in a fall and has been struggling to recover since. We actually believed she was going to come out of it and be able to go back home, but that hasn't happened. Even though she was in hospice, we didn't expect it to happen quickly as we mostly got her into that so she could get access to better drugs for her nerve pain. She was still mobile and fairly active for her age, walking to the dining hall on her own and taking care of her basic needs without assistance. Unfortunately she took a turn over the weekend while I was out of town. I was thankfully still able to talk to her today for a little while but she sleeps most of the day now and I feel pretty bad for being gone. I had been seeing her most days before going to Chicago,I but now I've cancelled all plans this month and plan on visiting her every day. She's 92, so obviously these things happen to people at this age but it's still hard. None of us imagined it would be this quick, but it's just a matter of time now. Just makes me realize how precious those moments are and not to take time for granted with your loved ones. 
    Yea its hard. I lost my grandmother a little over a year ago. Same thing, she declined so fast and out of nowhere. She had brain cancer and wasnt even really aware of who anybody was, and basically died scared and unsure who people were in hospice. I believe my aunt was the only one present, my grandfather was on his way there. 

Dont beat yourself up though and keep living. You're entitled to live your life still, Im sure your grandmother would want that
    I appreciate that so much and my god that sounds so awful, I'm sorry she had to go through that. 

Yeah the funny thing is she hates it when people sacrifice their time to care for her, she was always the one watching out for everyone else. She even got annoyed when I told her I took tomorrow off work lol 
    Hang in there bud. It sucks losing grandparents. 
    edited September 2023
    Losing people you care about sucks. Doesn't matter how old they are or how prepared you think you are for it, it's devastating.

Feeling guilty for not being there is natural, but you weren't doing anything wrong. She'll be happy you are there for her now. 

92 though. Phew what a run. Heres to granny 🍻