Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The F.N.R.S. (Fit Niggas Runnin' Shit.) Thread

Comments

• EpisodeEpisode Posts: 32,049 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Jobe said:

I always like to know why I'm doing shit. Interesting that it says "not to lift the most weight you can possibly lift. Your purpose is to keep the stress on your muscles and work them again before they have the chance to fully recover" for mass.

Yea, read both articles in the other thread. But this makes me rethink what I'm doing. Am I essentially doing shit wrong then? For the final 8 rep set of any exercise, I've been doing my max every time. For instance, Squats and Deads ending at 115 Lbs. . Obviously, that means that the 15 and 12 rep sets aren't my max, as they're lighter than my 8 rep weight, but does that mean that while the 8 rep sets should still be the heaviest of the 3 sets, they shouldn't be your max? That would explain why Sagi and everyone else in the videos low ball their weights when you know damn well that those are nowhere near their maxes. Sagi ain't maxing out at 100 Lbs. on Squats lol.

• Jobe_Wan_KenobiJobe_Wan_Kenobi Posts: 19,526 moneytalker
    Well, technically its not really you max if you can do it 8 times. They may be talking about a 1 rep max. I think they just want you to lift enough to get through it without taking the load off. It would also depend on if your goal is to be strong and explosive or if you just want the mass. I'll take the former, you can have the latter.
    Pass the god damn butter.
    Yea, I just want mass and to be dat PMF, I could give a fuck about strength training lol. Strength comes wit size anyways.
    Episode said:

Strength comes wit size anyways.

You would be suprised at how functionally weak some of those big guys are. Training specific and isolated movements makes you better at those movements, but that doesn't mean it all transitions into real world strength. Explosive strength, speed, endurance, and agility are all more important to me than mass. Looking good in a t shirt just doesn't benefit me much, but the ability to just fucking explode on somebody has had its uses lol.
  • GnomezGnomez Posts: 17,550 master of ceremonies
    edited September 2012
    @Popsicle
    1.Please tell me you don't wear gloves doing deadlift?

2. Where is the bar on your back when you do squats?
    Some people have it straight in top of their shoulders pushing against the back of your neck....FYI you're better to have it sit slightly lower down your back.
    It feels awkward the first time you try it and you think the bar will fall straight off your back, but you should find a
    It sits nicely there on top of your back muscles (not sure what they are called, part of your traps maybe?)
    Gnomez said:

@Popsicle
    1.Please tell me you don't wear gloves doing deadlift?

2. Where is the bar on your back when you do squats?
    Some people have it straight in top of their shoulders pushing against the back of your neck....FYI you're better to have it sit slightly lower down your back.
    It feels awkward the first time you try it and you think the bar will fall straight off your back, but you should find a
    It sits nicely there on top of your back muscles (not sure what they are called, part of your traps maybe?)

I do. I wear gloves for all lifts. I got sick of the calluses, and I was getting calluses ON my calluses, and they were getting extremely painful and started cracking and bleeding. Why, what's wrong wit wearing gloves for Deads?

As far as Squats, I use a wide grip (Well, as wide as my EZ-Curl Bar will let me go, remember that they're shorter than standard Barbells.), flex and squeeze my Traps, and rest it right on top of 'em, making sure it makes no contact wit my neck or upper spine.
    Not Popsicle bashing, I just find gloves a bit lame. But just my personal opinion. Plus bare handed gives you a better grip and control and feel for the bar. Less likely the bar will move or slip or twist without gloves on.

You use an Ezy bar for squats?
    One like this?

That mus be difficult to use for squats?
    I use an olympic bar for squats and do it inside a power rack.
    The bar alone weighs 20kg (x 2.2 for lbs) but it's a good long straight bar and gives great balance for squats

edited September 2012
    Gnomez said:

Not Popsicle bashing, I just find gloves a bit lame. But just my personal opinion. Plus bare handed gives you a better grip and control and feel for the bar. Less likely the bar will move or slip or twist without gloves on.

You use an Ezy bar for squats?
    One like this?

That mus be difficult to use for squats?

Interesting. I find it to be the complete opposite, I love how much better my grip is now, especially since when my palms start sweating, the bar doesn't get slippery anymore. I seriously almost dropped the bar a little over a week ago while doing EZ-Bar Rows, 'cause the bar was so slippery and I was losing my grip. Plus, there were times I wanted to stop before I finished my reps, not 'cause of the burn of the lift, but because my calluses were hurting so bad that it was hard to keep holding on to the bar, and I don't experience that anymore, so, I find the gloves to be optimal.

And yea, except it's not an Olympic style EZ-Curl Bar like the one you posted, just standard. And idk, I don't find it to be an issue, I've never squatted wit a standard bar, so, I wouldn't know the difference. I'm sure the standard bar is optimal, but I have no real issues wit the EZ bar.

That's cool - I thought u were using the curl bar which would be weird for squats.
    Chalk on your hands helps if you are losing your grip, but not needed for gloves I guess.
    I assume your bar has knurl/knurling on it?

Fuck gloves.

http://stronglifts.com/deadlifts-callus-formation-treatment/

Gnomes, as far a chalk, is it all the same or are their some that work better than others?
    As far as I'm aware chalk is chalk, it's all the same
    But don't use talcum powder whatever you do
    Some people put talc on their upper thighs (in powerliftng events) to help the bar slide up their legs
    But DO NOT get it on your hands
  • FLATFLAT Posts: 60,664 spicy boy
    Went for my run today but I felt like shit so i didnt go as far as i would have liked. Going to run around my block tomorrow, Its about 4.5 miles lol
    Get some brown brothers to chase after you
    You'll run faster
    Gnomez said:

As far as I'm aware chalk is chalk, it's all the same
    But don't use talcum powder whatever you do
    Some people put talc on their upper thighs (in powerliftng events) to help the bar slide up their legs
    But DO NOT get it on your hands

I had considered using it already but figured it would be too slippery. I'll have to look for some chalk.
    :-bd
    Yeah you should be able to buy a block or a bag of chalk from somewhere.
    A chemist?
    Good for heavy deadlift or bench
    Lol, they had a news report this morning about older dudes getting testosterone steroid injections, because it's harder for them to gain muscle, and that it's actually recommended and can be harmless. In that case, I don't really see the difference between Testosterone as a steroid, or testosterone booster supplements, basically the same shit, no?
    Legit felt like I was on da juice today for Shoulders. Took 4 scoops of C4 pre-workout, and the only downside was I got really tingly and itchy, but oh my God, I've never had such tight focus. Felt like I was on Adderall. Couldn't think of anything BUT lifting and just getting the fucking job done. Complete tunnel vision at it's finest. Felt absolutely unstoppable. That was amazing.
  • cheech9_4offcheech9_4off Posts: 942 just the tip
    edited September 2012
    4 scoops? damn whats the standard dose?

and also to chime in on the gloves debate. i usually dont like to wear them but on back days my weights are higher than other days so my hands get ripped up more and i wear them for that.

and on a side note why the FUCK am i a juggalo
    You're a juggalo coz you wear gloves.
    I bet you roll up a towel to put under the bar to protect your back when you do squats too.

I can't believe you guys wear gloves
    Calluses will rip off and heal over and harden up over time
    You guys need a can of this