Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The F.N.R.S. (Fit Niggas Runnin' Shit.) Thread

Comments

• EpisodeEpisode Posts: 32,049 destroyer of motherfuckers
    monicaa said:

Hey jobe , is there a healthy way to gain weight? Obvs not me, but my friend wants to gain weight, but she wants to do it in a healthy manner

In what sense? She wants to gain weight in the sense of muscle mass, or is too skinny and just wants to put on some weight? This is an easily answered question, I just need to know the answer to my question first.

edited September 2012
    Also, was maybe half an inch from full ass to ground wit 100 Lbs. today on my Parallel Squats! Felt like a fucking animal.

And I know my form is pretty much down pat wit Squats now, for a few reasons, it just felt right for starters, the squats were a lot harder, 'cause in a sense, bad form can be cheating, making it easier, I was able to go way lower than before, and whenever my form started going south, my back hurt momentarily, and I was able to quickly adjust and correct myself, and the Squats were painless (Not counting the general burn you get from Squats lol.).
  • monicaamonicaa Posts: 7,109 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Episode said:

monicaa said:

Hey jobe , is there a healthy way to gain weight? Obvs not me, but my friend wants to gain weight, but she wants to do it in a healthy manner

In what sense? She wants to gain weight in the sense of muscle mass, or is too skinny and just wants to put on some weight? This is an easily answered question, I just need to know the answer to my question first.

She just wants to gain weight. She's 5'7 and weighs 85lbs, even after having 2 kids. She doesn't starve herself or anything she just can't seem to gain weight
    edited September 2012
    monicaa said:

Episode said:

monicaa said:

She just wants to gain weight. She's 5'7 and weighs 85lbs, even after having 2 kids. She doesn't starve herself or anything she just can't seem to gain weight

Holy shit.......

Well, in that case, it's as simple as a surplus in calories. She'd have to do calculations to figure out what her maintenance caloric intake is (Daily calories to maintain weight.), she can use a number of formulas, one of the most common is the Harris Benedict Formula, and then eat 500-1,000 calories over that. 3,500 excess calories is a pound, so, 500 extra every day of the week will generally come to a pound gained weekly. But since she's so light already, 1,000 extra wouldn't hurt, it'd be 2 pounds gained weekly. But you don't wanna shoot any higher than 2 pounds a week, same for weight LOSS. 2 pounds should be the maximum to do it the healthiest way. It's also possible that she's an extreme Ectomorph and has a ridiculously high metabolism, so, she may have to play around wit it. Say she's eating at a 1,000 calorie surplus, and at the end of a full week eating like that, she hasn't gained shit, then she can up it by 200-300 calories for the next week, and see if that works, if it does, then she knows she has to eat at a daily 1,200-1,300 caloric surplus. If not, then she does the same thing the week after, yet again, up it by another 200-300 calories. She'll eventually find her magic number.

• Jobe_Wan_KenobiJobe_Wan_Kenobi Posts: 19,526 moneytalker
    Episode said:

monicaa said:

How was this spam? Erik can't even be try to be helpful without being harassed. Yup, its all him.
    Episode said:

monicaa said:

Episode said:

monicaa said:

Holy shit.......

Well, in that case, it's as simple as a surplus in calories. She'd have to do calculations to figure out what her maintenance caloric intake is (Daily calories to maintain weight.), she can use a number of formulas, one of the most common is the Harris Benedict Formula, and then eat 500-1,000 calories over that. 3,500 excess calories is a pound, so, 500 extra every day of the week will generally come to a pound gained weekly. But since she's so light already, 1,000 extra wouldn't hurt, it'd be 2 pounds gained weekly. But you don't wanna shoot any higher than 2 pounds a week, same for weight LOSS. 2 pounds should be the maximum to do it the healthiest way. It's also possible that she's an extreme Ectomorph and has a ridiculously high metabolism, so, she may have to play around wit it. Say she's eating at a 1,000 calorie surplus, and at the end of a full week eating like that, she hasn't gained shit, then she can up it by 200-300 calories for the next week, and see if that works, if it does, then she knows she has to eat at a daily 1,200-1,300 caloric surplus. If not, then she does the same thing the week after, yet again, up it by another 200-300 calories. She'll eventually find her magic number.

This. My sister in law is the same way, at a perpetual 90 lbs. She is gonna have to eat more calories than she burns to put on weight. It can be as simple as drinking a ton of milk (one of the big bulking plans is called GOMAD, or gallon of milk a day) her genetics, the type of food she eats and what she does to stay active will determine what the weight will be (fat or lean muscle mass)
    Pass the god damn butter.
  • monicaamonicaa Posts: 7,109 destroyer of motherfuckers
    monicaa said:

Thanks guys:)

No problem. Gotta give the cunts another post to flag anyway.
  • OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy
    I'm gonna flag you so hard.
    I love winning with women
    Not if I flag you first faggot.
  • OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy
    Flaggot [-(
    I love winning with women
  • NecrothulhuNecrothulhu Posts: 33,444 master of ceremonies
    You know.. once upon a time people gave no fucks about flags. So much for that :))
    imageimage
    Boom. Take that hooker :))
    Welp, the Bulk phase is gonna make me fucking rage. I was reading The Book Of Beast, and all the Bulk Phase workouts have Force Sets, 5 sets of 5 reps, wit only 10 second breaks in between each set. You know how fucking frustrating that's gonna be as far as switching plates? And I won't be able to do true Force Sets, 'cause it'll take longer than 10 seconds in between each set. Fucking A.
    Episode said:

Welp, the Bulk phase is gonna make me fucking rage. I was reading The Book Of Beast, and all the Bulk Phase workouts have Force Sets, 5 sets of 5 reps, wit only 10 second breaks in between each set. You know how fucking frustrating that's gonna be as far as switching plates? And I won't be able to do true Force Sets, 'cause it'll take longer than 10 seconds in between each set. Fucking A.

Ouch, that is going to be a pain in the ass. Gonna have to work on speed switching and planning ahead for the next lift. Oh well, whatever it takes.
  • FLATFLAT Posts: 60,664 spicy boy
    fuck, i was going to go on another run tonight but i got drunk. i'll go tomorrow after my classes. kinda pissed about it

fuck, i was going to go on another run tonight but i got drunk.

[-X
    Episode said:

5 sets of 5 reps, wit only 10 second breaks in between each set.

Im excited for some 5x5's, but curious to what the science is behind the 10 second breaks is and how important it really is. My initial thought would be that waiting longer would just give you more recovery, enabling you to lift more. Anything in the book about it?
  • FLATFLAT Posts: 60,664 spicy boy
    :( i'll go for one after class for sure. i'm tired of being out of shape. i'm not fat or anything i just want to feel better
    Jobe said:

fuck, i was going to go on another run tonight but i got drunk.

[-X
    Episode said:

5 sets of 5 reps, wit only 10 second breaks in between each set.

Im excited for some 5x5's, but curious to what the science is behind the 10 second breaks is and how important it really is. My initial thought would be that waiting longer would just give you more recovery, enabling you to lift more. Anything in the book about it?

Not really, just says that it enforces the effects of hypertrophy.

Fuck, posted it in the wrong thread lol. It's worth repeating doe.
    http://worldfitnessnetwork.com/rest-between-sets/

It doesn’t take a genius to realize that the more rest you take between sets, the more weight you’ll be able to lift when you do come back. This doesn’t mean that you should always take more rest between your sets… the right amount of rest for you will depend on your goals somewhat.

First off, let’s give little explanation on why you might choose longer or shorter rest periods between each workout. There are 3 different primary energy systems that your body uses to produce ATP, which is the primary fuel your muscles use for exercise.

These definitions come straight from this article on Wikipedia:

ATP-PC System (Phosphogen System) – This system is used only for very short durations of up to 10 seconds. The ATP-PC system neither uses oxygen nor produces lactic acid and is thus said to be alactic anaerobic. This is the primary system behindvery short,powerfulmovementslikea golf swing or a 100m sprint. Translation: Best for short bursts of intense lifts, like in power lifting or strength training.

Anaerobic System (Lactic Acid System) – Predominates in supplying energy for exercises lasting less than 2 min. Also known as the Gylcolytic System. An example of anactivity of theintensity and duration that this system works under would be a 400m sprint. This is what you’ll partially use for bodybuilding and creating muscle mass, size.

Aerobic System – This is the long duration energy system. By 5 min of exercise theO2 system is clearly the dominant system. In a 1km run, this systjem is already providing approximately half the energy; in a marathon run it provides 98% or more. You use this when doing aerobic activity, so this system doesn’t really apply to our discussion here.

Now that you have a good idea what these three systems are used for, we can have a discussion about how much rest works best for each goal.

3-5 Minutes Rest: This is useful for trainees who are trying to improve their explosive activities of a short duration. That means that longer rest periods are generally better for people who are training for strength and power and should be used together with lower reps (3-5 reps).

This is because your body requires approximately 3 minutes for it to restore the phosphagen (Creatine Phosphate/ATP) stores for your next set. Once the ATP-PC energy system has been able to replenish the energy stores in your muscles, you’ll be to lift a heavier weight for more reps. So, you should rest longer to get the energy to go heavy.

45-60 Seconds: Taking a shorter rest works better for hypertrophy and building overall muscle mass. The point here is not to lift the most weight you can possibly lift. Your purpose is to keep the stress on your muscles and work them again before they have the chance to fully recover.

This gives your muscles intensity over a longer period of time and allows you to keep your muscle “pump” between sets. This is best for the 8-12 rep ranges used by bodybuilders, and is optimal for increasing muscular mass and hypertrophy.

What about the time in between?

You don’t necessarily have to stay exactly within these rep ranges for building muscle mass or strength. There’s no switch that suddenly gets flipped at 3 minutes where your body suddenly begins to use a different energy system. Your muscles recover gradually while you rest, and each energy system works together and has some overlap.

And as always, this is a highly individual thing. Some people swear by using 60-90 seconds rest while bodybuilding, which can be fine for some people. Each person is a little different, and just as one person can run faster than another, one person can also recover faster than another.

Your recovery time will be influenced by a number of factors:

The intensity of the set How much sleep & rest you’ve had Your nutrition Your Age Any injuries you might have The temperature of the room If you have a cold or other minor illness How intense your day job is

You get the idea. I’m trying to show you that there are so many factors that go into this and that every person’s situation is slightly different. Start with the guides given up above, and adjust them over time as you get to know your body and its needs.
    I always like to know why I'm doing shit. Interesting that it says "not to lift the most weight you can possibly lift. Your purpose is to keep the stress on your muscles and work them again before they have the chance to fully recover" for mass.