Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

***Official Video Games Thread***

Comments

• Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,590 spicy boy
    Going for the plat on Elden Ring. We 65% there fellas \m/
    yeah ive kind of decided that this is going to be my first one lol. I don't have that much more to do actually but there is a sorcerey in nekron that i can not find. 
  • MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,699 spicy boy
    Dime2 said:
    Dime2 said:
    We're getting 1 mobile game. The other thing is just the finale to a pre-existing mobile game 
    They straight up took Union X down. I dont get why. I was in the middle of playing it, and then it updated, and now there's no game, just hours of cutscenes that aren't even presented in chronological order.
     Yeah Union X finale was last May they announced they were closing it after the finale. The upcoming one is a finale for the Dark Road mobile game which is all about Xehanort's lead up to being a dick. That one started a while after Union X came  out but was originally titled Union X Dark Road for maximum confusion before being rebranded lol that's the one we're getting a finale for before they shut that one down and the new game starts
    I didn't realize it was out yet
    Do You Like Hurting Other People?
  • Dime2Dime2 Posts: 2,781 jayfacer
    edited April 2022
    Yeah Dark Road has been out since 2020 I think. They were just extremely slow in updating it 
    Dime2 said:
    Yeah Dark Road has been out since 2020 I think. They were just extremely slow in updating it 
    I see why I thought it wasnt out, its been shut down for years. Ive tried playing it, but it just says "wait for offline mode". 
  • EpisodeMnHEpisodeMnH Posts: 4,703 jayfacer
    edited April 2022
    Platinum’d BioMutant. Took 29 1/2 hours so was a shorter one especially for an open world game. 

Don’t have too much more to add on top of what I already said earlier in the thread, but this was one of my most hyped games of 2021 but ended up not living up to expectations whatsoever. The identity issue in and of itself is not a huge problem, it dips it’s feet into a lot of different styles and systems and tries a lot of things out. It loses some focus but there’s nothing inherently wrong wit the experimentation, but where the problem lies is the lack of polish. 

The game is pretty buggy like I already mentioned, even after a year’s worth of patches. But on top of that, there’s jus a lotta design choices on display here that jus make things feel like a chore. The traversal especially is HORRIBLE. No other way to put it, especially in an open world game. Almost nothing is climbable. There’s certain areas that have these yellow brackets that you can grab that allow you to speed climb something, but they were few and far between to the point that it made me wonder why they even bothered on the very few areas that they did. They were literally an extreme rarity. This is unacceptable when every single open world game of this type allows you to climb almost everything. From Assassin’s Creed to Horizon to Breath Of The Wild to Immortals Fenyx Rising, you name it and NONE of them leave it out. But the game where you’re a fucking animal and it would make the most sense for you to have that ability leaves it out. So because of that, there’s countless areas where you have to take the long way and literally go all the way around and follow a path/road to make your way up a mountain or if there’s a small canyon wit water below you, instead of being able to glide across and jus climb back up the other side, you would have to ride along the edge all the way until you find a bridge and then cross over that way. This would consistently add up to 5 minutes of pure unnecessary travel time to so many tasks. There’s no room for that in big and dense open world maps like this. I don’t know what the fuck they were thinking. And on a related note, if you were going up a hill and the incline got EVER so slightly too steep, you start sliding back down. And if you’re on a mount, they’ll jus stop dead in their tracks and won’t move any further. Which yet again forces you to take the longest way around. And I again was left sitting there like “Literally NO other open world game does this bullshit.”. On top of that, you can barely swim. You quickly lose stamina and drown, plus you move slow as fuck. The workaround is there’s a jetski type vehicle you get called a Googlide and that’s meant to be your main method of water traversal, but you don’t get it til a certain main quest is finished. Problem wit that is that you can do the main quests in whatever order you want, and there’s no indication whatsoever that you need to get to a certain point to get the Googlide. I didn’t even know it was in the game, I thought the shitty swimming was all you get. So by time I finished that mission and got it, I was already over 2/3rds done wit the game, so it only helped me out for the final 6-7 hours of the game and was mostly useless smh.

Distribution of fast travel points is also unbalanced and weird as fuck. There’s points on the map where they’re placed on every block like a gas station and then gigantic, long stretches without a single one on other parts. I would go thru these long stretches and completely 100% all the loot and everything, only for there to be zero fast travel points in the entire stretch. Leading to more unnecessary time later on having to ride thru the entire thing all over again when I needed to return for a different quest.

Combat system is okay. They mixed the gunplay and melee similar to a Devil May Cry type system, problem is that all weapon types have like the exact same 2-3 button combos, so while the animations and shit are all different, gameplay is basically dumbed down to repeating the same 2 combos over and over again. Especially because the Super Wung-Fu meter fills up by completing 3 combos, but they have to be differentiating combos. So every combat encounter ends up basically being Combo 1 -> Combo 2 -> Combo 1 -> Activate Super Wung-Fu -> Repeat. It actually got to the point that later on in the game, I mostly resorted to simply staying back and strictly spraying the guns, especially since you can build OP as fuck weapons later on and dual wield, so both guns were straight broken and killed everything way faster than legitimately doing combos and shit lmao.

Also, like I mentioned earlier, the choice to have everything in the game voiced by the same narrator sucked a lot of life out of the game and kinda made it feel empty. The world and creatures themselves are unique and have a lot of character and giving them all individual voices would have only added to that. The narrator shit got old real quick and it led to the game being played like Pokémon, skipping forward on the dialogue as soon as I personally read it, instead of letting the narrator finish.

Graphically this was hit and miss. Colors were gorgeous at times but the textures were definitely rough at certain points, plus screen tearing was a constant while moving fast thru the open world. Plus PS4 version only hit upscaled 1080P and doesn’t even hit 4K lol. I know this is strictly a last gen release and didn’t get even a next gen patch, but that’s not much of an excuse since there were a lot of late gen games last gen that looked amazing. 

Last thing, the whole RPG element of building your character is ultimately pointless lol. Another example of the game trying a million things and not knowing exactly what it wants to be. I spent like 30-40 minutes carefully building my character like it mattered, but it doesn’t. Certain breeds have certain stat advantages and disadvantages at the start, but it doesn’t matter because you can spend your upgrade points however you want and max them out all the same. You can select which elemental resistance is highest, but it doesn’t matter because you can pick up suits that have 100% protection against all 5 elements. Even the aspect of designing your own animal quickly loses it’s luster because all the best armor in the game completely covers their face and head, so you spend most of the game completely concealed anyways. So really all you get out of it is the tail always sticking out of the back in whatever color fur you chose lmao. The only thing that slightly matters is the class you choose, there’s 5 and each one gives you an individual skill you otherwise can’t get, but none are major, and one can actually be purchased later on by all classes, which is the ability to dual wield guns.

Overall, it might sound like I didn’t like this game at all, but I actually mostly enjoyed it. There were jus some glaring issues that made it irritating at times, especially since I had such high hopes for it. I think as a whole, there’s a blueprint and groundwork here for something GREAT as far as any possible sequels if this becomes a series. Unique world wit unique, charming character design and unique experimental gameplay that jus needs a tighter focus. Very ambitious coming from a smaller studio, but jus needs that extra polish to take it to that next level. And I would say incorporating full voice acting in the next one should be a top priority. 6.5-7/10

Next up is Assassin’s Creed Valhalla finally. Got damn this bout to be a GRIND lmao.

Post edited by EpisodeMnH on
    That game was a major disappointment. Wish i could get my money back lol
    Beat Dark Souls yesterday. Not that hard, but tedious at times. Quite different than Demon's Souls was. Final boss was a joke. 

Taking a Souls break to play Kirby 
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    Erik play Elden Ring you pussy
    absolute masterpiece. *chefs kiss* 
    Erik play Elden Ring you pussy
    I will but I wanna finally get Valhalla done. Like I said earlier, it’s the only game I still have on the backlog that came out before last year. It’s been sitting unopened for the longest. It was down to either Elden Ring or Lego Star Wars for the next game but that’s the case for after Valhalla now lol.
    edited April 2022
    new Kirby is lit so far. I have a stupid smile on my face just playing it
    Valhalla is cool for like the first 1/2. Lol
    Found a 12 hour cutscene compilation someone made. Going to watch it since I cant play it anymore. 

Why the FUCK does a mobile game have 12 HOURS of cutscenes???

https://youtu.be/UxHAz1mz3HA
  • XenoXeno Posts: 21,031 master of ceremonies
    I can't imagine trying to genuinely follow the story of those games
    Jesus Christ Valhalla is so fucking gigantic that I jus put in a 6 hour session and didn’t hit the post intro title screen til 5 1/2 hours in lmao.
    Yeah thats honestly why i gave it up. I had fun with it but i was at like 65 hours and still had like 20 left to beat the main story lol
    Xeno said:
    I can't imagine trying to genuinely follow the story of those games
    Its really not that hard. There's just a lot of games. 
    Found a 12 hour cutscene compilation someone made. Going to watch it since I cant play it anymore. 

Why the FUCK does a mobile game have 12 HOURS of cutscenes???

https://youtu.be/UxHAz1mz3HA
     Watched em all. It's a grind. Theres probably an hours worth of important shit. You can skip all the Disney specific stuff which is a huge chunk of jt. Not a damn thing happens in those
    Oh wow, the new Kirby is actually really long