Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

***Official Video Games Thread***

Comments

• EpisodeMnHEpisodeMnH Posts: 4,703 jayfacer
    edited April 2022
    If Red Dead 2’s open world is top tier, then Valhalla ain’t far from it. Valhalla is even more varied I would say. RDR2 was done really well but what was so special about the environments and biomes compared to Valhalla? It was fields and mountains for the entire game lmfao.
    edited April 2022
    I will say tho that it’s one of the most immersive and engrossing games that I ever played. I even had a dream about it last night after I got off of it lmao. The open world and how alive it all feels is second to none. When it’s played as intended and you put in long sessions and really sink into it, you definitely start feeling like you’re actually a part of it all. But Goddamn it’s jus so much of everything lmao.
    While i don't disagree that it’s probably the best world they have built, its far from second to none lol. 

Its pretty generic. Sure it looks cool, but there is not anything special or unique about it. Every item/area is literally a copy and paste from region to region. 

Go here - kill everyone - open chest. Repeat.

boring af
    Yea but you hate everything like MC lmao. Literally only thing I think I’ve seen you NOT nitpick to death is Elden Ring I’m pretty sure.

And what else could be done given the era? It’s Viking era England and they went all out for the era and setting they were working wit.

Nothing is truly unique. Not even Elden Ring. You’re gonna tell me medieval dungeons and dragons, goblins and monsters has never been done before, let alone repeatedly, over and over again? What matters is how well it’s done.
  • MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,699 spicy boy
    Red Dead 2 is the best open world and it's not even close 
    If you like empty, boring open worlds with too much travel time
    Do You Like Hurting Other People?
    edited April 2022
    If you like empty, boring open worlds with too much travel time
    I damn near have to agree. I loved the game and the realism of the open world was top notch, but it ends there. There was absolutely nothing else that the open world did that made it special or different compared to others. Like I said, it was mainly all fields and mountains and then you had a few towns sprinkled in. What carried it was how well the characters and story were done. If those were generic, I don’t think anybody would have been going as crazy about the open world as they did. What did that open world do that was so gamechanging in comparison to Valhalla? Or other open worlds in general really. Everything that open world has, Valhalla has, and more tbh due to the extra traversal of Valhalla and being able to climb everything and actually explore. Fishing? Valhalla has that. Hunting? Not as in depth of a system, but Valhalla has that. And then the open world itself is way bigger while also being more varied and having more individual biomes. You have the arctic Norway at the beginning, you have full blown fantasy maps that are separate from the main map in Asgard and Jotunheim, and then while the main map is the most “uniform” throughout the different regions, there’s still fully explorable castles, crypts, grottos, swamps, etc. littered all over the map, not to mention all the random ass side quests that make it all feel so lived in. And a lot of those are unique goofy lil tasks that literally feel like you ran into somebody in the middle of their daily lives and helped em out. Like a funny ass one that stuck out to me was 2 neighbors had a dispute over the mill in between both their houses, so you talk to both of them and end up following one of em over to the neighbor’s house to watch him beat his ass, and then you jus end up setting the mill on fire so that neither of em get to have it lol. Jus random, goofy ass shit like that that breathes real life into it’s world. And I don’t see what RDR2 was doing that this isn’t. 🤷🏻‍♂️
    Im still on Ultimate Spider-Man and inFAMOUS for best open worlds lol
  • Dime2Dime2 Posts: 2,781 jayfacer
    Then you can absolutely shut the fuck up about Red Dead 2 being boring lmao
    edited April 2022
    Red Dead 2 is boring as fuck. Most modern open world games are. I liked the zombies in Read Dead 1 though
  • Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,590 spicy boy
    edited April 2022
    Im the hype master. How doni hate everything like mc? Lol

i have a realistic expectation on excellence. 
    I feel like you hype a lotta shit up before release but then it drops and you’re never impressed whatsoever lmao.
    edited April 2022
    I just like to point out a games flaws because its rare we get something that is the whole package. I still enjoyed the hell out of valhalla. Its a cool game and i will definitely play the second. I just think worlds like red dead 2 are rare air and it needs to be something special to compare. 
    Post edited by Rex_Capone420 on
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    If Red Dead 2’s open world is top tier, then Valhalla ain’t far from it. Valhalla is even more varied I would say. RDR2 was done really well but what was so special about the environments and biomes compared to Valhalla? It was fields and mountains for the entire game lmfao.
    I'm not talking about the environment, even though RDR2 is pretty detailed. But I'm talking about the detail of the NPCs, the side quests, relics, landmarks, etc. None do it like Red Dead
    Yeah. As great as elden rings world is, its mostly go here kill this and get this for me. But for me the art direction is just fantastic. Its beautifully designed. Its not because of the npc’s or anything like that. 
  • XenoXeno Posts: 21,031 master of ceremonies

Idk who the disagree is but dey wrong
    My guy never went trapping in the mountains
    Then again maybe Valhalla is better in next gen, but I definitely did not get as immersed as RDR2 or Wild Hunt. The best part was the monastery raids and fortress sieges but they dropped off in quality
  • Ace_Deputy_CheezeAce_Deputy_Cheeze Posts: 14,736 jayfacer
    Managed to kill flamelurker my first time in ng+ 
    Deputy_Cheeze's Profile Page Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
    Got the plat. 10/10. Erik, i think you should play Demon's Souls before Eldin Ring
    Is it not technically harder? Given how you can’t farm runes and over level yourself lmao.
    Is it not technically harder? Given how you can’t farm runes and over level yourself lmao.
    You can 100% farm souls and overlevel yourself in Demons Souls
    In every souls game you can grind for levels. It's prolly easier since each area is separated and more linear.