Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Mental Health

Comments

• Options
    Jobe_Wan_KenobiJobe_Wan_Kenobi Posts: 19,470 moneytalker
    Yeah 3rd shift and having a family makes that hard im sure. 

You got blackout curtains in your bedroom? 
    Double layered. It’s plenty dark enough. I’m down for 5-6 hours a night now it seems. Pretty sure my Old Man powers are just starting to activate. Been staring at my lawn a lot lately, it needs some work lol. 
    Pass the god damn butter.
  • Options
    WakeOfAshesWakeOfAshes Posts: 21,665 destroyer of motherfuckers
    edited August 2020
    Oh and doctors have been debating since last oct if my dad could survive open heart surgery. They’ve finally decided he can’t live much longer without it so might as well try it. That happens this Friday. I’m fearful this week will be the last time I talk with my dad. That’s kinda rough. This is affecting my mental health 
  • Options
    Heavy shit. Best of luck to him. I always like to remind myself that modern medicine is pretty fucking good these days. 
  • Options
    Thanks jobe.

He’s kinda done it to himself by eating junk and not keeping his diabetes under control. Plus he’s got awful Parkinson’s and numerous other health issues including the heart issues. It’s crazy he’s only 71. He looks like he’s 91 when he hobbles around 

I went to WA a few weeks ago to visit. I was grateful I had a few days with him :-) 
  • Options
    My sister in law is back in jail again (bad checks) Honestly we don’t mind it when she is locked up because we know where she is, and that she is safe and being taken care of. But today we found out one of her street friends just got some bad dope and died on Sat. Im not even sure if she was 30 yet and her 8~9 year old kid was the one to find her dead.  Sad to see she couldn’t crawl her way out of whatever emotional black hole she was in that kept drawing her back to that shit. Her mom was an alcoholic. Now her kid probably grows up to be a broken person and the cycle just continues all over. 
  • Options
    GnomezGnomez Posts: 17,550 master of ceremonies
    @WakeOfAshes hope your old man gets thru it ok Wake. My dad died of cancer when he was 72. Far too young. He had always been so fit and healthy and worked 24/7. I was never that close with him as such. He was a quiet guy. But I miss him being around. I wish he got to meet my daughter 
  • Options
    Glad my dad was cool enough to fuck off so I don’t ever have to deal with all that lol. 
  • Options
    SATANSATAN Posts: 25,815 spicy boy
    My dad is 62 and all the drugs he did are taking their toll. His hands shake pretty bad now and they don’t know why. He was always a really optimistic, happy dude. But now he’s having a lot of depression issues. He’s been committed a couple of times because mental health professionals have been forced to turn into Nazis and anyone that mentions suicide at all gets put in a hospital. It makes it difficult to ask for help when you don’t want it fucking up the rest of your life. 

Earlier this year, I went to the hospital sick with what I still think was coronavirus. It was before the hysteria, and everyone at the hospital dismissed me. But one of the nurses asked me if I had any suicidal thoughts. Having been there for several hours and not getting much help, I responded “I wish I could go to sleep and just forget this happened”. Next thing I know, the doctor is in the room with me asking about that statement. I thought he was joking. But then they sent a set of nurses in that forced me to remove my clothes and put on a green jumper. I’ve been committed before, so I knew what they were up to. I waited til shift change and snuck out through a back door. I was home asleep, when the sheriffs kicked in my door and drug me back to the hospital. It took me calling one of the attorneys I work with to get them to stop. They still forced me to stay at the hospital for 48 hours under supervision before deciding that I wasn’t suicidal. All for some off the cuff remark I made. The didn’t even treat me for my sickness and didn’t give me my heart or diabetic meds. The worst part was that I’ve never been able to tell anyone what happened because everyone just blames me. Only my wife knows, and she still thinks I said more than I did to elicit that reaction 

So now I’m left with nowhere to go to deal with my issues. It’s funny because everyone has this rose-colored-glasses view that if you call some magic help line and all of your mental health stuff gets solved and everyone is happy. But really you just get stuffed into small, stinky rooms where everyone treats you like an animal and shoots you up with drugs
  • Options
    EpisodeMnHEpisodeMnH Posts: 4,607 jayfacer
    edited August 2020
    Glad my dad was cool enough to fuck off so I don’t ever have to deal with all that lol. 
    My Dad called me years ago and told he got prostate cancer. Zero lmao.
    Post edited by EpisodeMnH on
  • Options
    I feel for you guys. My dad was always in the picture and was always awesome. If I didn’t have him, I’d prolly be WAY more fucked up than I am. 
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Gnomez said:
    @WakeOfAshes hope your old man gets thru it ok Wake. My dad died of cancer when he was 72. Far too young. He had always been so fit and healthy and worked 24/7. I was never that close with him as such. He was a quiet guy. But I miss him being around. I wish he got to meet my daughter 
    Thank you dude and Sorry to hear your related story. 72 is far too young for someone so fit. I haven’t been too close to him until recently but having people you love get old and die sucks...

speaking of dying - just also remembered that my ex-wife put our dog down a couple weeks ago. She was old and in a lot of pain but still that was rough. And rough seeing my girls balling their eyes out. 

Fuck 2020 sucks. Covid, police brutality, gf breaking up with me, dog dying, maybe dad dying... 
  • Options
    SATAN said:
    My dad is 62 and all the drugs he did are taking their toll. His hands shake pretty bad now and they don’t know why. He was always a really optimistic, happy dude. But now he’s having a lot of depression issues. He’s been committed a couple of times because mental health professionals have been forced to turn into Nazis and anyone that mentions suicide at all gets put in a hospital. It makes it difficult to ask for help when you don’t want it fucking up the rest of your life. 

Earlier this year, I went to the hospital sick with what I still think was coronavirus. It was before the hysteria, and everyone at the hospital dismissed me. But one of the nurses asked me if I had any suicidal thoughts. Having been there for several hours and not getting much help, I responded “I wish I could go to sleep and just forget this happened”. Next thing I know, the doctor is in the room with me asking about that statement. I thought he was joking. But then they sent a set of nurses in that forced me to remove my clothes and put on a green jumper. I’ve been committed before, so I knew what they were up to. I waited til shift change and snuck out through a back door. I was home asleep, when the sheriffs kicked in my door and drug me back to the hospital. It took me calling one of the attorneys I work with to get them to stop. They still forced me to stay at the hospital for 48 hours under supervision before deciding that I wasn’t suicidal. All for some off the cuff remark I made. The didn’t even treat me for my sickness and didn’t give me my heart or diabetic meds. The worst part was that I’ve never been able to tell anyone what happened because everyone just blames me. Only my wife knows, and she still thinks I said more than I did to elicit that reaction 

So now I’m left with nowhere to go to deal with my issues. It’s funny because everyone has this rose-colored-glasses view that if you call some magic help line and all of your mental health stuff gets solved and everyone is happy. But really you just get stuffed into small, stinky rooms where everyone treats you like an animal and shoots you up with drugs
    That’s quite crazy over such a small comment. I wouldn’t even think you implied suicide but just meant go to sleep cause you’re sick and forget the last few hours of bs. 

If you donate blood you know they test you for covid antibodies for free. You’ll know if you really had it or not 
  • Options
    Deep down I know why people treat me like they do. It’s because I’m a misanthrope and I have a hard time being nice when I feel things aren’t going my way. But me being rude doesn’t justify how I get treated 
  • Options
    FLATFLAT Posts: 60,594 spicy boy
    My manager doesn’t work nearly as hard as my old one. He’s all depressed because his grandma died and he’s going through a divorce. So while this guy makes the most money he’s ever made I’m still slaving away for crumbs. Dude takes like two hour lunches and 40 minute breaks. Hard going from an actual leader to someone that wants as much money as possible while doing the least amount of work. He applied for fmla too so he’s going to get time off for being depressed. I’ve gone through just as much shit as him this year and none of that was probably even on the table for me because we were so busy during corona days. Another reason this year blows. 
  • Options
    Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,471 spicy boy
    edited August 2020
    I dont even know what to think of my dad. Our relationship is fucking weird. 

When him and my mom broke up when i was a newborn, he somehow ended up in a relationship with my moms mom. (Aka my grandma). For the rest of her life, basically my whole life from 3 years old to 24, they were together. 

Weird i know. Iv been trying to talk about it more openly lately because im trying to come to the point where i realize people wont judge me for it, because it wasnt my choice. But its really hard. I think I mentioned it once on here drunk 10 years ago, and iv told my GF and best friend. Thats it. 

Hell when i told my last therapist about it, she looked at me shocked and had told me she’d never heard anything like it. 

It really fucked up my ability to for healthy adult relationships i think. 

Since her passing away 6 years ago, his and my relationship has improved, but i still dont really like doing things in public with him because i think im always worried in the back of my head he will embarrass me of something. 

Hes also an alcoholic. I think hes 53, and he doesn’t look great. Super skinny. Hes doing better with drinking at this point, but i dont really expect him to make it much more than 5-10 years. 

We have a relationship thats more friends than father/son. Hes not a bad person, but hes done a lot of bad shit. I have a feeling that when he goes it will be a feeling of emotional relief. 

I lived with my mom growing up, but she was pretty absent with my life. Did most of my learning and growing on my own. 

Probably a big reason why i don't feel close with any of my family. 

Life is hard peeps. Keep yo heads up. 
  • Options
    Your dads cooler than you 
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Hes a lot dumber
  • Options
    He took the acid. That was pretty smart lol. 
  • Options
    I felt bad for a split second when me and Dave bailed go get closer lmao 
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Yeah, he can be fun to hang out with. Thats why were more friends than father/son. 

Like i still have to give him advice on how to handle
    normal adult things. Instead of the other way around lol. 

But maybe that part is me. People always want to talk to me about their problems and shit. I cant figure it out. Even strangers.