Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Concert Review Thread

Comments

• mrAPEmrAPE Posts: 39,476 moneytalker
    Rex... 

You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
  • Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,592 spicy boy
    ill keep handing out the abuses.

fuck that band 
  • DimeDime Posts: 10,239 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Yeah I don't really care for Bush but they were surprisingly good when I saw them. 
  • That_Guy_ArloThat_Guy_Arlo Posts: 14,026 master of ceremonies

ROCK ON THE RANGE: DAY TWO

Starset - So, these guys put on what IMO is a really awesome and unique live show, but I also understand if people think it looks absolutely fucking comical and stupid. So the guitar players and the drummer basically dress up in what look like space suits, helmets and all, and the drummer is completely encased in some kind of glass that can turn the shading off and on. So during the buildup, the glass would be completely shaded and you couldn't see through it, then during a heavy portion of the song the glass would change to where to could see the spaceman drummer again. I thought it was cool, sue me. The music was better than expected too, didn't realize they were as heavy as they are. Check them out if you get the chance.

Alter Bridge - Being a Creed fanboy this was a no brainer for me. I love Kennedy's voice and damn that dude sounds great live. They didn't actually play any songs I was too familiar with, but I still enjoyed their set overall.

Skillet - Love these guys, so hate away. Skillet has always been one of those Christian rock bands that has stood out to me. They have some pretty good hard rock tunes coupled with a fun stage show, and this time was no different. Granted it's not anything new, but I just love the energy they put into each performance. Thought the sound could've been a tad better overall, but idk who to blame for that to be honest. Happy to see them again though.

Atilla - Only cool thing was the big circle pit they started, but of course that caused some dude to get sick and he ended up puking on my leg. Hopefully the last time I see them.

Whitechapel - Lots O' breakdowns as usual, but I do tend to consider these guys a step above compared to most other deathcore acts. It's entertaining and the music isn't awful, so I had a good time watching them. The crowd ate that shit up.

Skipped Papa Roach cause gay.

The Offspring - Oh my god these dudes were fun to watch. They played what seemed like a best-of setlist, which included all the hits. These guys are getting into their 50's now, but they still sound great! I jumped in the pit and crowdsurfed during their show and couldn't have had a better time. Funny banter, great sound, fun songs, just a fun fucking set.

Korn - What can I say, it's Korn. This is my 3rd time seeing them but damn if it wasn't the best show I've seen so far. Luckily we didn't have to see that stupid 12yo bass player with them and got the full band on this show. Davis was much more talkative this time around, as I've seen him go through whole sets without saying anything to the crowd, not the case with this show however. They played well and I could see every member getting into the performance. Unfortunately (and hilariously) their set had to be cut after about 50 min due to weather, but I still was happy with what I saw.

• That_Guy_ArloThat_Guy_Arlo Posts: 14,026 master of ceremonies

ROCK ON THE RANGE DAY THREE

Got to the venue later than usual due to me not giving much of a shit before Metallica.

Wage War - Heavy stuff from these guys. They were good, nothing too special, but good. I'll likely check them out more.

Nothing More - I'm with Ape, these guys were kinda....weird. I actually like a couple songs from their first album so I was looking forward to their set, but I just didn't end up caring for them. The singer has a great voice too, but it's totally wasted on this band's painfully generic  and boring rock music, and his on stage antics are just annoying. Plus they covered some dubstep song......why.jpg

Pretty Reckless - Also don't care for this band either. I only saw them cause another friend I met up with wanted to. Momsen has a nice voice and all, but their stuff is just too forgettable for me to care.

The Dillinger Escape Plan - Finally able to catch this band on their last tour. Such a unique sound and stage presence these guys bring, and I enjoyed all of what I saw. I don't know how they're able to perform so well given how chaotic their show is, but damn if they don't make it work. So glad I got to see them.

Primus - God damn. Now I'm not the biggest listener of this group, but I absolutely loved this set. They played a ton of hits, and Claypool bust out the pig mask and chello during "Mr. Krinkle" which was amazing. Speaking of, Claypool has to be one of the best bass players I've ever seen live. The guy plays so effortlessly on that instrument and I was mesmerized watching him perform. The band as a whole was flawless too. A+ set.

Volbeat - I originally planned on skipping them, but since they were last up before Metallica I wanted a good spot and stayed. They were much more fun than I expected. The singer sounds just as good in person as he does on album, and the crowd just went nuts for them. Their set also ended up being delayed for weather...

***ONE HOUR THIRTY MIN LATER***

Volbeat came back out after the delay to finish their set which only consisted of two more songs. Honestly makes me want to listen to them more after seeing them live. I was skeptical but it was fun.

METALLICA - Jesus mother of mary the time was now upon us. Right as the band comes out on stage the crowd moves like 20 feet closer and ends up becoming a violent sea of people being pushed back and forth the remainder of the night. It was a war to stay up front but it was worth it. Hearing all these classic songs being played by one of the most iconic bands ever is an experience I was just not prepared for. Flawless sound, awesome stage show complete with pyro, great stage presence from each member as they were constantly moving around giving everyone up front a close look at each member. I got within about 15ft of Hetfield at one point and I thought I was gonna die. I still don't care about any of their recent stuff, but I thought the setlist overall was sweet. New songs are to be expected considering they just released an album, but they still played plenty of hits as well. The 2+ hour set felt like it lasted 15min, and before I knew it they were done. I couldn't have had a better time seeing them though, it was well worth the trip and standing through a thunderstorm in order to keep our spot. I would love to see them again sometime, but I'm beyond happy with what I saw from them that night as I'll likely never get that close again. Fucking awesome time.

*Only one bad thing. After the show Kirk comes over and proceeds to throw about 1,000 fucking picks into the crowd and not a single god damn one bounced my way. I'm still salty af about that. Fuck Metallica.

Overall, I probably wouldn't travel again for a 3 day festival, as that was tiring as shit, but I'm so glad I made the decision to go, as it made for one of the most fun concert experiences I've had.

I saw you right before Dillinger. I was directly in front of you but up on the barrier on that left side. 
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
    Sure they are 
  • ...... Posts: 31,548 master of ceremonies
    mrAPE said:
    Rex... 

Also this from Rockville.

inb4lists
  • XenoXeno Posts: 21,031 master of ceremonies
    Dime said:
    I know nobody hear gives a shit, so I won't do a full review but Fozzy was so fucking awesome. Every time I see them I just have such a blast. I legit felt giddy. This was definitely a good happy time that I've desperately needed these last couple weeks and I enjoyed every second. 

Set

1.) Judas 
    2.) Sin And Bones 
    3.) To Kill A Stranger 
    4.) Eat The Rich (Krokus Cover)
    5.) Inside My Head 
    6.) With Fire 
    7.) Tonight 
    8.) Freewheel Burning (Priest Cover)
    9.) SandPaper 
    10.) God Pounds His Nails 
    11.) Lights Go Out 
    12.) Spider In My Mouth (First Half)
    13.) Spider In My Mouth (Full Version; started over after a fight in the front row was interrupted lol)
    14.) One Crazed Anarchist 
    15.) Do You Wanna Start A War?
    16.) S.O.S. (Abba Cover) 
    17.) Bass Solo/Black Hole Sun snippet 
    18.) Bad Tattoo 
    19.) Enemy 
    i haven't listened to fozzy much but isnt it jericho's band?
    edited May 2017
    Yes they are. They bring it live every time. Idk if he's such a good front man because of his wrestling background or because of his love of music or both, but he's just phenomenal as a front man. Rich Ward from Stuck Mojo is on guitar and he's amazing and the other players are all really talented. Check this one out. One of my favorite tunes from them. Dude has pipes. 

https://youtu.be/6WGO-NHy6JA
  • MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,705 spicy boy
    I just know Chris Jericho plays Captain Spectacular in Ziltoid 2
    Do You Like Hurting Other People?
  • SATANSATAN Posts: 25,824 spicy boy
    I don't care for Fozzy's music, but they really are a really fun band live
    You've seen them? Yeah they're fun as fuck live
    Yeah, its been a minute. I've actually known Rich from Stuck Mojo since I was a teeneager. He was their original guitarist. Im not sure if he's still with Fozzy
    Yeah Rich has been with Fozzy from the beginning and is still with them. Awesome guitar player. 
    You might dig his first band. Stuck Mojo were one of the first rap metal bands. They set the stage in Atlanta for Sevendust and Norma Jean. They toured with Pantera and Type O Negative. They didn't get along and kept making lineup changes and it derailed their momentum. I know you dig stuff like Limp Bizkit. Listen to Snappin' Necks. It was their debut that came out in '95 or '96. I still listen to the song 'Who is the Devil?' for nostalgia every now and again
    I actually own Snappin Necks and Declaration haha I've done my homework 
    Crazy. I didnt figure anyone knew who they were anymore