Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Concert Review Thread

Comments

• ...... Posts: 31,548 master of ceremonies
    If Avatar get the direct support slot, I'd go see Avatar/Kyng and then bounce 
    inb4lists
  • Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,592 spicy boy
    Yeah if i can i might check out what kind of set list they are playing 
  • That_Guy_ArloThat_Guy_Arlo Posts: 14,026 master of ceremonies
    I used to like In This Moment a lot back in like 09-10, but fucking Christ do I hate that band so much now. Just awful garbage. 
    I remember liking their first two albums when i checked em' out at Mayhem fest. I think Maria has a decent singing voice, but whatever half talk-half screach vocal shit she does now is terrible. 
    inb4lists
  • MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,705 spicy boy
    Shes a wanna be Lady Gaga/Marylin Manson hybrid that sounds like a dead cat.
    Do You Like Hurting Other People?
  • DimeDime Posts: 10,239 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Beautiful Tragedy and The Dream were great. Saw them for the first time in like 09 and again at Mayhem in 2010. Put on a great live show. Star Crossed Wasteland was the beginning of the end but still a passable record. However, Blood was one of the worst albums I've ever heard and the follow up was trash as well. When I saw them again in 2012 they were a completely different band. The focus was taken away from the band as a whole and focused solely on Brink and her gay little dance show. It was fucking awful and just hearing about this band enrages me now. 
  • MenAreTrashMenAreTrash Posts: 27,667 spicy boy
    i saw em open for Megadeth in 07 when they had just released their debut. they were the first band I ever saw with a female vocalist, so I thought it was awesome. I remember enjoying Beautiful Tragedy for about a year, and then jumping ship when The Dream came out. Mayhem 2010 was painful lol
  • FLATFLAT Posts: 60,664 spicy boy
    I saw them with Ozzy and it was sweet. Just played BT shit.
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    Yo i'm sorry but that Avatar band is weak. Just checked a couple tunes and it ranges from Industrial and Nu Metal sounding shit to i dont even know wtf
    You're probably listening to their old shit, then. First four tracks on Feathers And Flesh are bangers. Granted, I'll fully admit i was eh on them until i saw them live. Completely blew away expectations. 
    inb4lists
  • mrAPEmrAPE Posts: 39,476 moneytalker
    I also didn't care for them until I saw them live.
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
  • XenoXeno Posts: 21,031 master of ceremonies
    edited May 2017
    General points from the mastodon show:

-After Metallica next week, I'm never hanging with in person or smoking with this kid again. We've smoked twice now and both times he's instantly started ranting about how people don't need healthcare. Also liberal use of the word nigger within earshot of black people.
    -Servers/service workers every single place I went to were complete assholes.
    -I still have no idea if Russian Circles put on one of the best shows of all time or if I was just really high. Either way, I zoned into it really well.
    -EODM were drunk as shit, and also pretty boring at times. Fun show overall though.
    -Best performance yet from Mastodon, but I still got bored halfway through. Went and chilled at the bar for a bit before jumping in the pit for Mother Puncher/Circle of Cysquatch/March of the Fire Ants

Russian Circles: 9/10
    EoDM: 6/10
    Mastodon: 8/10
    Pallbearer - Dallas, TX - 5/12/2017

Pinkish Black - Awesome doom band from Ft Worth. Unique band as they don't have any guitars. Very groovy, doomy goodness.

Gatecreeper - Holy shit, awesome death metal band that I hadn't heard of before. Blew me away. One of the better live performances I've seen in awhile. 

Pallbearer - Fuuuuuuuuck son. Slow and heavy as shit. I brought my gf to the show and they straight up put her to sleep \m/ Absolutely stellar live band. 
  • NOLANOLA Posts: 6,353 jayfacer
    Saw U2 on the 360 tour. Didn't think that could be topped. This show was pretty incredible. 

Sunday Bloody Sunday
    New Year's Day
    Pride 
    Where the Streets Have No Name / California 
    I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
    With or Without You
    Bullet the Blue Sky
    Running to Stand Still
    Red Hill Mining Town
    In God's Country
    Trip Through Your Wires
    One Tree Hill
    Exit
    Mothers of the Disappeared
    Miss Sarajevo
    Bad
    Beautiful Day
    Elevation
    Ultraviolet 
    One/Hear Us Coming
    The Little Things That Give You Away
    I know nobody hear gives a shit, so I won't do a full review but Fozzy was so fucking awesome. Every time I see them I just have such a blast. I legit felt giddy. This was definitely a good happy time that I've desperately needed these last couple weeks and I enjoyed every second. 

Set

1.) Judas 
    2.) Sin And Bones 
    3.) To Kill A Stranger 
    4.) Eat The Rich (Krokus Cover)
    5.) Inside My Head 
    6.) With Fire 
    7.) Tonight 
    8.) Freewheel Burning (Priest Cover)
    9.) SandPaper 
    10.) God Pounds His Nails 
    11.) Lights Go Out 
    12.) Spider In My Mouth (First Half)
    13.) Spider In My Mouth (Full Version; started over after a fight in the front row was interrupted lol)
    14.) One Crazed Anarchist 
    15.) Do You Wanna Start A War?
    16.) S.O.S. (Abba Cover) 
    17.) Bass Solo/Black Hole Sun snippet 
    18.) Bad Tattoo 
    19.) Enemy 
    I didn't even know they had that many songs.
    =)) first two albums were mostly cover albums with 2-5 original songs on each one. Then they dropped the covers gimmick and released 4 regular albums. 

Rock On The Range - Columbus OH - 5/19-5/21

Obviously gonna keep it pretty brief. Gonna say first that I had a great time regardless of the rain and it was really cool meeting Ape and seeing Jay again. Totally cool dudes.

DAY ONE

Beartooth: Former lead singer of Attack Attack! for those who didn't know. This band is much better than that one though. They seem to really want to be a hardcore band but still come off as a fairly generic metalcore act. Still, the singer is energetic and the tunes aren't too bad, definitely heard worse in that genre. Not bad overall.

I Prevail - Standard metalcore with a lot of melodic riffs and clean singing ending with some heavy breakdowns and screaming. I would've eaten this band up a few years ago. They're fine for what they are.

Thrice - Badass band. I am not familiar with them much at all outside of The Artist and the Ambulance, but these dudes were sweet. Real mellow stuff for the most part which was a nice change of pace from most of the groups on the tour. Would love to catch them again.

Red Fang - Saw 3 songs and they got shut down due to incoming storms. Shit.

***4 HOURS LATER***

Of Mice & Men - Not bad. Their bass player now doubles as their lead singer which is kinda odd to see for their genre. The guy can pull it off pretty well though. He didn't seem too enthusiastic but they sounded good at least from what I saw.

Norma Jean - Good stuff. Great stage presence combined with catchy yet more erratic music made for a fun set. Glad I finally got to see them live.

Bush - They impressed me. Not much to say about these guys as they're so well known, but I found myself enjoying their set quite a bit, and was a little more familiar with them than I realized. The band sounded good and their singer really moves on stage. Would recommend.

Gojira - One of my all time favorites. Their set started 20 min late as they had some minor tech issues but my god they fucking brought it. Easily the best sounding band I saw on the side stages all weekend. They played all the hits including my fav "Flying Whales" and put on as good of a show as I've seen from them. Can't say enough praises for these guys cause they deserve it. Never a dull moment during their set.

Live - I don't know why I stayed for them. Like, they're fine, but it was late af and cold. They had prolly the softest sound of any band on the show but it was alright. They still sound great, plus it was pretty cool seeing "Dolphin's Cry" performed live......by Live. If you're a fan already, I'd recommend.

Also skipped the Soundgarden tribute.

To be continued... 

• Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,592 spicy boy