Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Concert Review Thread

Comments

• KridesBrideBrittKridesBrideBritt Posts: 25,781 jayfacer
    None of you have ever been smashed until you have seen rancid live on a GA stage. I could pick my feet up and stay in place. Only way to safety was crowd surf. Man I want to see rancid again. It's probably not as intense now this was early 2000's
    Reminds me of a sold out AFI show....I was floating most of the set until I surfed out.
    kristianPhotobucketPhotobucket Trephination-Tuesday Nights/Wednesday Mornings...11pm-1am- http://wrsu.rutgers.edu/listen.html
  • NOLANOLA Posts: 6,353 jayfacer
    I don't normally do reviews, but because it was such a special night here it goes...

Opener Leon Russell played while parked behind a rig that comprised his keyboard, a laptop, a small board and a mixer. With only his shoulders and head of streaming white hair showing, under a white cowboy hat and dark shades, he looked almost puppetish half-hidden behind the gear. Barely stopping to say “How y’all doing?” and “I’d like to thank Bobby for inviting us along,” Russell led his band through a tight hour-long set that honky-tonked up the Beatles, the Stones and the Temptations, as well as his own hits. Leon Russell is one of 20th century rock’s great session men, and among a laundry list of others, he’s appeared on several Dylan recordings. Disappointingly, he didn’t join Bob during his set. 9/10

Russell Set:

Delta Lady
    Stranger In a Strange Land
    Let the Good Times Roll
    Wild Horses
    A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall (Bob Dylan cover)
    Hummingbird
    I've Just Seen a Face (Beatles Cover)
    Tightrope
    Georgia on My Mind (Ray Charles Cover)
    I've Got A Kind Hearted Woman
    A Song for You
    Jumping Jack Flash (Rolling Stones Cover)
    Poppa Was A Rolling Stone (The Temptations Cover)
    Rocket Man (Elton John Cover)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Bob Dylan took the stage wearing a large white hat and a suit that looked like a railroad porter’s uniform – navy with brass buttons, red stripes up the sides of his slacks and a skinny black tie – and ripped into the loopy, cascading intro of “Rainy Day Women #12 & 35.” Dylan shifted between songs from his post-millennial trilogy and classic favorites. The band delivered unfamiliar timing, as on a kick-drum-driven “Tangled Up In Blue,” and drastically new arrangements, like on an encore of “All Along The Watchtower” minus its lonesome, howling harmonica. Throughout it all, though he did not address the audience except to introduce the band, Dylan seemed to be enjoying himself immensely, with cryptic little smiles and frisky, vaudevillian hand gestures. The fresh arrangements worked great on the more recent songs, which are lyrically sparer landscapes; more surprisingly, they were also compelling on the dense poetry of his more familiar material. Russell may not have joined Dylan for a live reprise of his part on “When I Paint My Masterpiece,” but with two killer sets, each legend created one. It was an absolute honor being able to see this man perform live. An opportunity I may never get again. 10/10

Dylan's Set:

Rainy Day Women #12 & 35
    It’s All Over Now Baby Blue
    Things Have Changed
    Tangled Up In Blue
    Beyond Here Lies Nothin’
    Sugar Baby
    Cold Irons Bound
    Simple Twist Of Fate
    Highway 61 Revisited
    Forgetful Heart
    Thunder On The Mountain
    Ballad Of A Thin Man
    Like A Rolling Stone
    All Along The Watchtower
    Blowin’ In The Wind

• OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy
    No Times Are A Changin?!?!!? I'd be pissed :(
    I love winning with women
  • BrianBrian Posts: 17,611 destroyer of motherfuckers
    I thought the same haha, I'd imagine he's sick of it though.
    nike Pictures, Images and PhotosTUPAC IS DEAD/THE LEGEND IS GONE/THEY SAYIN TUPAC'S BACK?/DEM NIGGAS WRONG
  • NolaFree810NolaFree810 Posts: 36,796 moneytalker
    I thought the same haha, I'd imagine he's sick of it though.
    lol you people realize dylan has over 1000 songs right??

and he does whatever the fuck he wants
  • mrAPEmrAPE Posts: 39,476 moneytalker
    Including suck
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
    Of fat men
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
    's young girlfriends
    So he's a pedophile?
    nike Pictures, Images and PhotosTUPAC IS DEAD/THE LEGEND IS GONE/THEY SAYIN TUPAC'S BACK?/DEM NIGGAS WRONG
    Lol Brian
  • cheech9_4offcheech9_4off Posts: 942 just the tip
    edited July 2011
    Mayhem Hartford, CT 7/24

The past 2 years our group has gone to the Pittsburgh show but this year there was a conflict so we went to Hartford cuz that’s the next closest one. It worked out cuz I go to school in Fairfield, CT and have a house there. It’s about 6.5 hour drive (400miles) to the house but me and my friend made it there in under 5.5 cuz we did 85-90 for 2.5 hours. We ended up getting there about 830 pm the day before and my other 2 friends that live in jersey and CT met us at buffalo wild wings which is a tradition we have. I also had 2 other friends that are girls come hang out that night and we hung out playing pong and drinking until like 430am. We wake up about 11am and leave for the venue 1145. The forcast for the day was 86 and sunny with a couple rolling thunderstorms around 2pm and 6 pm. Its about an hour drive from my house to the venue so by the time we got in the lot and parked it was about 115. We hung out for like 20 mins playing pong with the people next to us. It started to rain a little and it was quite annoying just sitting there so we decided to walk in about 130 and got right in, not really any line (so I don’t really know what the point of the skip the line passes are) we checked out the merch and took a quick lap around the place to check out the layout before the first band started. Going into the show I was most looking forward to SLS, SS, machine head, unearth, trivium and megadeth.

The jager band was hell within from massachusettes. They were one of the better jager bands ive seen. Solid riff driven metalcore. Clean singing thrown in and not many breakdowns which was a plus. Will definitely be checking them out more in the future. Kinda reminded me of trvium mixed with ATR. 5/10

Straight line stitch- I am actually a fan of this band. I think they are a solid melodic hardcore/metal band. Fun set, warmed up the crowd for the rest of the day. No complaints, alexis sounded good. They had some technical difficulties that resulted in the guitar tech playing the last couple mins of their set. 6.5/10

Next was red fang I think. The sun came out during their set and it was hot as fuck the rest of the day. Completely sunny. I didn’t actually watch them because I am not a fan. We took another lap around the venue looking at all the venders and got some rockstars.

Next I thought was suicide and I was pumped for their set because I had become a huge fan since seeing them at mayhem 2008. Back then I thought they were terrible deathcore but now they are one of the couple deathcore bands I can listen to. Instead it was supposed to be all shall perish but their bus broke down in Canada and they didn’t make it. In there place these two guys came out. A guitarist and drummer that I forgot their name. they were solid. Thrashy speed metal. The crowd really enjoyed them.

Next was kingdom of sorrow- heard a lot of good things about them but I didn’t actually go to see them. While im not the biggest fan of hatebreeds music, im a huge supporter of them and jasta because of their ethics and personality. It was the first time for me hearing KOS’s music and they were solid. I will prob check more of it out in the future. I watched them for the revolver stage waiting for SS and from what I heard they were solid. 7/10

Next was suicide silence . they opened with wake up which everyone went apeshit. They were the first band of the day that I saw everyone going nuts and the floor moving the whole time. I don’t care what anyone says about their music thye put on a hell of a performance. Their set was a blast. Now that im a fan and know their material I will be seeing them every chance I get. Wall of death for genocide was awesome. Only change I would make is to take out slaves to substanance and put in lifted or price of beauty. No changes to the set they’ve been playing. 8.5/10

Next was unearth which I went up front for the first half of their set. This is the 4th time I have seen them and they were solid as always. They opened with thy will be done and sanctity of brothers which were the only two songs I knew because I haven’t heard the new CD and don’t really know their old material. I left after about 20 mins of their set cuz I was tired and tried to find my friends cuz they were being pussys about the heat and didn’t come up front with me during any of the bands. They wer ein the rockstar tent so I met them there and took a picture of SS cuz they were signing right next to the tent. I threw down a couple rockstar lemonades to rehydrate and found my friend who was in line to meet dave ellefson and shawn drover.

After unearth was the mighty machine head! This is another band I have become a fan of since mayhem 2008. I missed their set then cuz I was in line to meet WOJ. Again they were awesome. Great set with asthetics of hate and halo. Everyone went completely insane when rob said “this next song is dedicated to rita haney. *cue asthetics of hate* they closed with halo and before it rob gives a little speech “how many of you have seen machine head before?...YAAAAA…how many of you this is your first time experiencing machine head… YAAAAA…well welcome disturbed and godsmack fans, I hope ur having a good time haha. This next song take a lesson from the veterans cuz it takes a lot of alchol consumption, weed smoking and fuckin HEADBANGING and they start into halo. Great set, had lots of fun. Another band I will try and see a lot in the future and will be buying locust 8.5/10

Closing out the side stages was inflames. A kinda meh band for me. the only songs I really like are take this life and mirrors truth we watched like ¾ of their set from the back then got food and headed to the lawn for the main stage. We just chilled and essentially listened to trivium which was another band I was looking forward to because I was starting to get into them this summer, I missed them in 2009 cuz I was recovering from ATRs set. We were all disappointed because they said we have 2 songs left, played one then left the stage like WTF. Must have run outta time or something. Didn’t play pull harder which was a bummer. 7/10

Next was MEGADETH. Im a big fan of them. I went up to the rail between the lawn and seats and just banged my head the whole time. Awesome setlist, same as the other shows. Holy wars was epic as the closer. After wake up dead dave was like “who here this is your first megadeth concert….YAAAAAA…..”ya I figured” I lol’d their score would be higher if I would’ve been up close I think but still a good time either way. 8/10

Godsmack. What can I say, they are a radio hard rock band on a metal festival. We stood and watched them but their performance was pretty lack luster. My friend who was a lefti fan of them even said they were kinda boring. We were starting to fall asleep until they busted out into the drum battle which really revived the set. After that there was a little more energy throughout. 6/10

Disturbed-this is my 3rd time seeing disturbed and they were entertaining as always. I like their show and don’t mind seeing it everytime. All their songs are solid. We thoroughly enjoyed their set. There was only one thing missing……no stricken!! We stood there dumbfounded after they turned the lights and house music back on. When they went into down with the sickness we were like ok this is the end but they haven’t played stricken, o they will prob play it as an encore. NOPE we were so confused. 7.5/10

After the show it took us about 40 mins to get out and we went to dennys which is also a tradition of ours. This was the worst dennys ive ever been to. Mad slow service with half the restaurant closed down and a foregn waitress that sucked. After we left it was another like 50 mins back to the house and we got back about 215am. And we left back up to Rochester about 1pm the next day. All in all another successful trip to the mayhem festival and we will continue the tradition next year back in Pittsburgh. Cant wait already \m/ a few pics can be seen on my fb under the mobile uploads album

-cheech aka Ryan, 4 year mayhem veteran
  • SkullAndCrossbonesSkullAndCrossbones Posts: 16,452 destroyer of motherfuckers
    edited July 2011
    WOW, mayhem fest was fuckin' fantastic yesterday! ok, the way im gonna rate these bands is gonna be the jager band is gonna get more slack from me because they don't have the money, fanbase, or resources to put on a show like a main stage band would. and side stage bands will still get slack from me but a little less then the jager band because they have a bigger fanbase, more resources to get a better stage set up going. but they still get some slack because they can't put on a show like a main stage band could because the side stages are a lot smaller.

REVIEW

Jager Band - Dr. Acula
    i had so much fun during their set. pretty entertaining especially for a jager band. i especially enjoyed the sound clips of movie quotes during their set. one of them was something jamie lee curtis said in Halloween but i can't remember the line. another one was bill murray saying "We came, we saw, we kicked its ass!" in Ghostbusters :-))
    great way to open up the day!
    Sound = 5/5
    Show = 4/5
    Overall = 9/10

Straight Line Stitch
    didnt really watch their set. i was off to the side sitting on the curb through most of it but i was still able to see some of the stage. i thought they sounded great tbh. they had a decent sized crowd watching them. i thought they vocalist did a really good job of entertaining the crowd. i think she did a good job of trying to get people pumped up without sounding annoying.
    Sound = 5/5
    Show = 3/5 (from what i could see and hear)
    Overall = 7/10

Red Fang
    didn't watch their set at all but i could hear them. i guess they sounded ok. im not a fan of their music but im sure i fan of theirs woulda enjoyed watching them.
    Sound = 4/5
    Show = ?
    Overall = ?

All Shall Perish
    held rail for them. i enjoyed their set. they sounded good. lead singer was pretty funny. however their show was kinda bland but im not entirely sure why. anyway, i love all shall perish and im sure a fan of theirs would enjoy watching them as did i.
    Sound = 4/5
    Show = 3/5
    Overall = 7/10

Kingdom of Sorrow
    great show. i couldn't really get a good spot to stand because i was holding rail during ASP's set but they looked and sounded awesome. Jamey is a great showman and to my surprise, kirk was a pretty good showman himself. i say "to my surprise" because usually its the lead singer that does all the talking but kirk, The Beard of Doom as Jamey calls him :-)) , talked to the crowd and seems a like a pretty cool dude.
    Sound = 5/5
    Show = 4.5/5
    Overall = 9/10

Suicide Silence
    i was not in the crowd watching their set, i was walking around or sitting on the curb during their set but i could hear them and i saw some of their performance while walking around or sitting on the curb. i was actually very impressed with their show. they had an awesome crowd going. as far as sound goes, i have no idea what to say about that lol. i've listened to them before so i do know what they sound like but the singer kind of sounds like a really loud vacuum cleaner that can hit different pitches :-)) . but tbh though, i think they actually sounded better live then they do on CD, at least for the song 'Wake Up', they did lol. its hard for me to give them a score on sound because if you've listened to them before you know why. but the sound quality was actually pretty good.
    Sound = 4.5/5
    Show = 4.5/5
    Overall = 8.5/10

Unearth
    i was holding rail on the other stage during their set because Machine Head was on next but WOW. i was very very impressed with what i heard. they sounded fantastic. i only looked back a couple times during their set but from what i can tell they had a good show and a great crowd going.
    Sound = 5/5
    Show = 4.5/5
    Overall = 9/10

Machine Head
    MOTHERFUCKING WOW! by far the best side stage band of the day. as a matter of fact, there is only 1 band that i've seen with a better show on a side stage and thats Hatebreed. this was my first time seeing them and it defenitely won't be my last. their show was simply amazing and the crowd for them was HUGE. the singer was a great entertainer and had the crowd really pumped up. he seems like an awesome dude and pretty humble from what i could tell. he was so greatfull to have such a huge crowd of people watching and going ape shit during their set.
    Sound = 5/5
    Show = 5/5
    Overall = 10/10

In Flames
    unfortunately i had to choose between holding rail for Machine Head or holding rail for In Flames but i think i made the right choice if you read my review of machine head. anyway, In Flames was a great way to close out the side stages. i didnt really watch their set because i was starting to get a little tired and i wanted to rest up for the main stage and grab me some energy drinks for an extra boost. but from what i could see and hear they had an awesome show. they sounded awesome too. the lead singer was pretty funny and was a good entertainer IMO.
    Sound = 5/5
    Show = 5/5
    Overall = 9.5/10
    note: had i not seen machine head just before them they would've gotten a perfect score

Trivium
    i love trivium and it was my first time seeing them. unfortunately for them they had to start while In Flames were still playing so there wasn't really a huge crowd for them but they sounded great and they looked like they were having a great time on stage which is always nice to see. i really enjoyed their set.
    Sound = 5/5
    Show = 3.5/5
    Overall = 7/10

Megadeth
    first time seeing them and im not really that big of a fan of theirs but they had a nice sized crowd watching and they sounded good. the show was pretty good too. the crowd EXPLODED when they started playing Peace Sells. as far as im concerned, they deserve all the success they've gotten. they seem like really cool, down to earth, humble guys (especially mustaine). there was a local radio station at mayhem fest and apparently there was some sort of contest to win one of dave's guitars and in the middle of their set they had the winner come out on stage and dave handed him the guitar and gave him a handshake and a hug.
    Sound = 4/5
    Show = 3.5/5
    Overall = 8/10

Godsmack
    solid show. not the best godsmack show i've seen but it was still great. the crowd went nuts when they came on stage and never let up until their set was over. for not having any props, video, or pyro it was a great show. the drum battle is still very entertaining IMO. sully is a great showman and he defenitely knows how to get the crowd pumped up. their sound was amazing as always. the only way i can think of to keep myself remotely unbiased is to grade them on their own scale and what i would expect to see from a godsmack show.
    Sound = 5/5
    Show = 4/5
    Overall = 8.5/10

Disturbed
    after godsmack was done playing i went to have a cigarette, get some water and food then i left because i was too tired. the little bit that i heard from disturbed sounded good.
    Sound = 4.5/5
    Show = ?
    Overall = ?

The Day Summed Up
    had a fantastic time. after machine head played there was about 6 of us still standing at the rail cause we all wanted one of the last few picks and the set lists. there was this chick on my right wearing high heeled boots and when they threw the last pick to the 6 or so of us it went about 5 feet to my left and that chick wanted it so bad she all but ran me over to get it and she didn't :-)) , and im happy she didnt.......dumb fuckin' bitch LOL. i caught 2 free waters, one from ASP and another from Machine Head :-bd
    i ran into a couple of my friends before godsmack went on stage which was cool cause i hadn't seen either of them in a while. while godsmack was playing sully or shannon (the drummer) through a drum stick into the crowd and went just a few rows in front me and these 2 chicks started fighting for it :-))
    aside from meeting, hanging out, and getting autographs from godsmack i got the next best thing which is..........

FRONT

BACK
    :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/
    "That's another thing I love about metal, it's so fuckin' huge yet certain people don't even know it exists." - Rob Zombie
    They opened with thy will be done
    It's My Will Be Done <_>
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,722 mod
    Suicide Silence got 8.5/10 in both reviews? Seriously? <_>
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
  • XenoXeno Posts: 21,031 master of ceremonies
    They're an 8.5 band <_>
    No. 5 at best, and that's generous.
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
  • MenAreTrashMenAreTrash Posts: 27,667 spicy boy
    I think the real <_> moment here is the 9/10 for Dr. Acula
    I think the real <_> moment here is the 9/10 for Dr. Acula