Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

More reasons Catholics are a pestilence

Comments

• That_Guy_ArloThat_Guy_Arlo Posts: 14,026 master of ceremonies
    all I'm saying is to stop generalizing so much and give credit to churches that actually try to do good.
    every christian is not a horrible person.
    I know what you mean, I actually try to stay away from the whole 'attack organized religion' side of things because it seems to muddle up the main point people like me are trying to make, which is that the whole idea of a "god" is completely flawed. I'm not angry about it, I just wish more people would think for themselves more instead of relying on a supposed deity to make their decisions for them.
  • MenAreTrashMenAreTrash Posts: 27,667 spicy boy
    Can you at least agree that organized religion in general likely does more harm than good, and the good that is does do can also be achieved through purely secular means.
    This.
  • FLATFLAT Posts: 60,664 spicy boy
    lol @ sky daddy
  • SkullAndCrossbonesSkullAndCrossbones Posts: 16,452 destroyer of motherfuckers
    i think most haterid towards religion comes from misunderstandings and or people passing around false information. and its a shame cause not only does that drive people away but it also subjects religion to constant ridicule.
    Nah not true. I'm very educated on religion I was raised catholic I just can't buy into religion when there are so many flaws and hypocrisy
    thats why i said "I THINK MOST haterid", because i dont know everyone in the world so i can't tell you why people feel a certain way towards religion and i didnt wanna lump everyone into the same category ya know?
    "That's another thing I love about metal, it's so fuckin' huge yet certain people don't even know it exists." - Rob Zombie
    all I'm saying is to stop generalizing so much and give credit to churches that actually try to do good.
    every christian is not a horrible person.
    I know what you mean, I actually try to stay away from the whole 'attack organized religion' side of things because it seems to muddle up the main point people like me are trying to make, which is that the whole idea of a "god" is completely flawed. I'm not angry about it, I just wish more people would think for themselves more instead of relying on a supposed deity to make their decisions for them.
    I agree, but for some people it gives them that peace they need. If they're not hurting anyone or shoving their beliefs down another person's throat then it's no harm done.
    Sure, of course I'm with you there, but it's still religion that is holding back issues such as gay rights, abortion, and changing our science books that get's people angry about organized religion in general.

By no means am I saying all religious people are at fault here, but religion in general that still causes hiccups in our society. One point I'd like to make to any believers here though, I don't want it to seem like I don't believe in a god because I'm annoyed with organized religion, my disbelief can be attributed to research, questioning, and an honest self assessment of myself and what I really believed in and why.
  • SkullAndCrossbonesSkullAndCrossbones Posts: 16,452 destroyer of motherfuckers
    arlo, this is a genuine question i have here. i dont want it to be takin' out of context like i wanna start a fight or something. just curious as to why you think religion is holding back society about gay marriage? is it cause you think society kinda uses religion as a moral compass or something like that? or cause there are religious people in office that wont make it legal?just wondering cause im sure you already know this but the government can legalize whatever they want but they can't force religions to make it ok. the government can't dictate religion.
    "That's another thing I love about metal, it's so fuckin' huge yet certain people don't even know it exists." - Rob Zombie
  • ShaneShane Posts: 15,229 balls deep
    i think most haterid towards religion comes from misunderstandings and or people passing around false information. and its a shame cause not only does that drive people away but it also subjects religion to constant ridicule.
    so the Crusades are misinformation? millions being slaughtered in the name of God is false? How about the purging of the pagans?
  • ZmbieFlavrdCupcakesZmbieFlavrdCupcakes Posts: 32,259 jayfacer
    Salem witch trials that turned out to be nothing more than tainted grain
    that's all I have to say
    imageimage
  • MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,705 spicy boy
    that's all I have to say
    McCarthyism, and current prejudice towards "terrorists" is the same crap
    Do You Like Hurting Other People?
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    that's all I have to say
    McCarthyism, and current prejudice towards "terrorists" is the same crap
    Hundreds of people were either tortured or killed during the salem witch trails. Not the same crap. Nice try though.
    Salem was "its a witch burn her" - no fair trial, initiated wide spread scare, caused by the Religious at the time
    McCartyism was "its a commie arrest him/her" - again no fair trial, initiated wide spread scare, caused by the anti-communitsts at the time.
    current issues with "terrorists" is and attempt to keep is in constant fear of terrorists and WOMD's. which is created by out gov post 9/11.
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    Were hundreds of supposed communists killed or tortured. Yes or no. Are any terrorists being burned at the stake yes or no
    no, but thats due to a change in government and social norms... which is a secular thing, NOT a religious one.
  • MenAreTrashMenAreTrash Posts: 27,667 spicy boy
    That's actually a pretty valid point.
    edited December 2011
    just curious as to why you think religion is holding back society about gay marriage? is it cause you think society kinda uses religion as a moral compass or something like that? or cause there are religious people in office that wont make it legal?just wondering cause im sure you already know this but the government can legalize whatever they want but they can't force religions to make it ok. the government can't dictate religion.
    It's a bit of both Skully. 95% of the time I ask someone who is against gay marriage as to why they feel that way, I get "because the bible/koran/etc says so, or because god says so" instead of actual logical reasoning as to why they personally oppose it.

Religious people can have whatever opinions they want, it's when their religious ideologies are used as reason to start depriving people of basic civil rights, such as the right to marry, that gets me annoyed. Marriage brings certain benefits to the couple, and gays are denied these benefits because of some old age belief that they're "an abomination".

Remember, I'm not saying by any means that all Christians (or any people of a particular religion) feel that way, but that's why the laws are there, and that's why people rant about how much they hate organized religion. I completely understand why people are angry but I still tend to side with Dayna when it comes to how I view religion as a whole. I don't think it's necessarily bad, I just happen to not share the same beliefs, and I don't feel that religion really gives us anything that we can't achieve through secular means.
    everytime someone tells me being gay is a unforgivable sin i ask them if they eat shellfish. when they say yes i tell them that they are going to burn in hell cuz the old testament says that easting shellfish is a sin on the same level as homosexuality. they get pissed off, shut up, and walk away
  • NolaFree810NolaFree810 Posts: 36,796 moneytalker
    its a simple rule of thumb, if your going to the old testament for answers on lifes questions..your gonna be one fucked up dood
    i also find it hypocritical in the fact there's even a old and new testament at all. yet another example of the 'Word of God" being cherry picked to peoples liking
    everytime someone tells me being gay is a unforgivable sin i ask them if they eat shellfish. when they say yes i tell them that they are going to burn in hell cuz the old testament says that easting shellfish is a sin on the same level as homosexuality. they get pissed off, shut up, and walk away
    i explained the food restriction thing before...