Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

FDA considers banning Menthol in cigarettes

ShaneShane Posts: 15,229 balls deep
edited March 2011 in Off Topic
(CNN) -- Menthol cigarettes are no more harmful than regular cigarettes, tobacco industry representatives argued Thursday as a federal advisory panel opened a two-day meeting to consider whether to ban the sale of those cigarettes.

Menthol cigarettes, which account for one-quarter of the cigarettes sold in the United States, have been under scrutiny by public health officials and public health watchdog groups. Critics claim the flavor makes them more addictive and denounce the marketing campaigns that they say target menthol cigarettes specifically at minority smokers.

According to a study published in Nicotine and Tobacco Research, menthol cigarettes are favored by three-quarters of African-American smokers.

But Leonard Jones, director of marketing at Lorillard Tobacco Company, said that "ethnicity does not play a role" in marketing strategies for the Newport menthol cigarette. "We don't collect or retain information on ethnicity in our marketing data base."

Representatives from Phillip Morris USA, R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company and Lorillard Tobacco Company plan to present scientific evidence that they say shows menthol cigarettes are no more harmful than non-menthol cigarettes. The meeting, moderated by the Food and Drug Administration's Center for Tobacco Products, is being held in Rockville, Maryland.

The 12-member federal advisory panel, which is in charge of overseeing the implementation of the 2009 Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act, is scheduled to makes recommendations on menthol cigarettes by March 23, 2011. The committee includes three non-voting members representing the tobacco industry.

The panel could decide to ban the sale of menthol cigarettes or order that the levels of flavoring in them be reduced.

There is no evidence showing higher numbers of deaths among menthol cigarette smokers than among non-menthol cigarette smokers, said Jane Lewis of Altria Client Services, which represents Phillip Morris USA. And "at the end, that's what matters," she added.

The meeting is being streamed live on the FDA's website. According to the agenda, participants will discuss the characterization of menthol cigarettes, clinical effects of menthol, biomarkers of disease risk, marketing data, and population effects.

Comments

• ShaneShane Posts: 15,229 balls deep
    i will lol so fucking hard if this passes
  • BrianBrian Posts: 17,611 destroyer of motherfuckers
    The FDA hates black people
    nike Pictures, Images and PhotosTUPAC IS DEAD/THE LEGEND IS GONE/THEY SAYIN TUPAC'S BACK?/DEM NIGGAS WRONG
  • HOODSHOODS Posts: 41,866 destroyer of motherfuckers
    i hope it does
  • SkullAndCrossbonesSkullAndCrossbones Posts: 16,452 destroyer of motherfuckers
    such bullshit. im caucasian and i smoke menthols. newport lights to be exact lol.
    "That's another thing I love about metal, it's so fuckin' huge yet certain people don't even know it exists." - Rob Zombie
  • StratophonyStratophony Posts: 9,212 just the tip
    edited March 2011
    meh... havent smoked one all year. Ban them all!
    such bullshit. im caucasian and i smoke menthols. newport lights to be exact lol.
    better get a back up brand ready LOL
    i doubt this will pass.
    "That's another thing I love about metal, it's so fuckin' huge yet certain people don't even know it exists." - Rob Zombie
  • Its_Meh_ChewIts_Meh_Chew Posts: 7,380 just the tip
    Menthols are fucking nasty. so i'd gladly approve of their banning
    i doubt this will pass.
    and they doubted that the highest tobacco producing state in the country, NC, would pass a smoking reg banning smoking in virtually every public building.
  • EpisodeEpisode Posts: 32,049 destroyer of motherfuckers
    LOL My Mom is gonna be PIIIIISSED.
    edited March 2011
    btw, when i started smoking i was smoking regulars and then switched to menthols about 6 - 12 months later. one is not more addicting then the other. its all a matter of preference. which ever one a smoker thinks tastes better. if menthols were more addicting then why do menthol smokers only make up 1/4 of the smoking population? shouldn't there be more menthol smokers then regular smokers if that were the case?
    ahhh nothing is better than watching smokers cry as their so called freedom is slowly chipped away
    i doubt this will pass.
    and they doubted that the highest tobacco producing state in the country, NC, would pass a smoking reg banning smoking in virtually every public building.
    every state is doing that for the non-smokers, so they dont have to deal with second hand smoke and whatever else bothers them about smoking.
    i'm betting that the next step is the govt making it illegal to smoke near children, which i honestly believe needs to happen
    i doubt this will pass.
    every state is doing that for the non-smokers, so they dont have to deal with second hand smoke and whatever else bothers them about smoking.
    my point is this was the highest producing state and they have one of the strictest regs in the country
    edited March 2011
    ahhh nothing is better than watching smokers cry as their so called freedom is slowly chipped away
    actually there is one thing, its watching people get butt hurt about smoking lol...........just joking. i dont even know why people care to be honest. if you dont like smoking then just dont smoke. not tryin' to sound like a deuche here, but i honestly dont understand why people care if people they dont even know are smoking.
    actually there is one thing, its watching people get butt hurt about smoking. i dont even know why people care to be honest. if you dont like smoking then just dont smoke. not tryin' to sound like a deuche here, but i honestly dont understand why people care if people they dont even know are smoking.
    they care cause your slowly killling everyone around you when you smoke
    nike Pictures, Images and PhotosTUPAC IS DEAD/THE LEGEND IS GONE/THEY SAYIN TUPAC'S BACK?/DEM NIGGAS WRONG
    they should ban fried chicken. it would start a civil war lol
    FDA BANS WATERMELONS : "4 out of 10 kids die from swallowing watermelon seeds every year. Fucking niggers."