Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

***Official Video Games Thread***

Comments

• EpisodeMnHEpisodeMnH Posts: 4,715 jayfacer
    IMO unless you are trying to edit video, i don't think you need anything near that GPU. There aren't even that many great 4k monitors out there. They are available, but its still crazy expensive to get something with a high refresh rate. 

Plus even with that beast, the games these days are not optimized, so you still probably wont get high frames consistently on it in 4k. 

i aint hating though. id cop for sure. 

It’s extremely future proof tho. I won’t be upgrading for a long ass time. And the way I look at it, as expensive as this all is anyways, why cut corners and get a weaker card like a 4080 or 3090 or whatever, jus to save a lil $500 or whatever when I could get it over wit in the first place and buy once cry once? So that’s what I did lmao.
  • NOCAPNOCAP Posts: 37,281 mod
    Damn this steam summer sale is straight ass. Can’t say I’m surprised though. 

• Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,592 spicy boy

i Swear like 90 percent of the games that go on these sales are always the same games lol
    NOCAP said:
    It’s not that much. It’s only 4 months of living with your girlfriend. 
    I wish I could afford a $2000 GPU, a handheld PC, tattoos (I dont actually want tattoos but they're expensive), and a bunch of games in one month. 
    Shouldnt have gotten conned by your girl and you’d still have cash
    I couldnt afford all that when I was living with my parents either. 
    So a couple things about this:

1: What Jobe said lmao.

2: They allow us to somewhat abuse overtime at work as long as we don’t surpass 10 hours a day, so I been running that up and getting 50 hour $1,000 checks every week.

3: I did things the right way and have a decent savings sitting in a 5% APY account, so I’m not living paycheck to paycheck at all.

4: Thru strategic use of my cards, I very quickly shot my credit score up to around 700, so I was approved for the Best Buy and Newegg cards. Both offer 12 month zero interest financing, so that’s how I’m paying for both the Ally and the 4090, they weren’t immediately paid in full. Ideal way to pay for them anyways compared to charging it directly to debit, cause making every payment on time only further improves my credit score in the process.

5: Ever since I opened my Discover card, which was my first card, I have been making it a point every single month to purchase something or thing(s) amounting to anywhere from $200-$400, making 4 equal weekly payments of anywhere from $50-$100, again wit the purpose of building credit. This month that purchase was the guitar amp, which including the cord was $396, so right at the top of that range. So that too was put on payments.

6: That Spider-Man 2 Collector’s Edition preorder, while expensive, is only a temporary precharge that disappears after like a day. I don’t get actually charged for that until October. Now that you mention it tho I did buy Dead Island 2 this month, but that was only $30 and that was the only game, not a “bunch” lmao.

7: I have an entirely separate cash savings stashed away strictly for tattoos that I do not touch whatsoever other than for tattoos, and I been contributing to it for a long time because I knew my long term goals wit this and how I wasn’t stopping until I’m covered. So yes these sessions are expensive and take out large chunks of coin at once, but it’s coming out of a stash that was already previously prepared for that, and not out of my immediate paycheck. Long term over the past 10 years, I’ve easily spent $10K+ on tattoos, and I don’t regret it whatsoever, but believe me it is a bill I will be happy to kiss goodbye once I reach my end goal. I really only have my back left after we finish coloring my torso by the end of this year, so it’s safe to say I will be pretty much finished wit these regular sessions by the end of 2024.

I'd recommend not buying anything with your debit card if you can. Just charge everything and pay it off every month. Your account and money is way more secure that way. 
  • MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,705 spicy boy
    Damn $1000 a week would be great. 

I'm not exactly strapped for cash (I have a lot in savings, but I'm keeping it for a down payment on a house, or for when I need a car). But I wish I could spend on bigger things month to month for sure. 
    Do You Like Hurting Other People?
    kinda want a Polymega and an Analogue Pocket 
    Not worth the bread for a pocket

NOCAP said:
    Not worth the bread for a pocket
    how? it plays hardware, and can be docked to a TV
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    I'd recommend not buying anything with your debit card if you can. Just charge everything and pay it off every month. Your account and money is way more secure that way. 
    Yup. Plus these days credit cards can give you pretty decent cash back, as high as 5% I just put every purchase on the credit card, keep my cash in a high yield account like Erik said, then pay off the credit card before the statement generates to avoid interest. 
    So the only thing I’m confused about for the PC build where I don’t yet know exactly what I’ll need to be purchasing, is the cooling situation.

So I’m getting the specific case in this picture, and most setups for it I’ve seen run the full triple fan setup, in this configuration:

So what am I looking at in total as far as what I need to cop? An AIO and 2 normal fans, or AIO is optional and I could jus do 3 normal fans as well? And what type of configuration would I need to do? I know you need both intake and exhaust so in this layout which ones would need to be set for intake and which would need to be exhaust? 

Also, if AIO is optional, I don’t feel it’s necessarily overkill for me to do so considering I’m running maxed out everything cause my CPU will be a 13900K and they run HOT. So I don’t mind paying the extra for an AIO, but I’m also reading that liquid cooling anything can be an extreme headache, so if it’s optional and not necessary, I wouldn’t be against going the 3 normal fans route either.
    $300 is expensive for a game boy with a nice screen and a dock. You can mod your own game boy for less. I also don’t see a point in playing those type of games on a big screen either. If you’re not dead set on hardware look up the miyoo mini plus and save yourself the cash. Just my 2 cents

• MarcTheFallenMarcTheFallen Posts: 26,661 master of ceremonies
    NOCAP said:
    NOCAP said:
    Judging by these reviews the game gonna be on sale in a month. I’ll scoop then. 
    I’d wait for a price drop. Solo game will get boring quick but if you got people to play with definitely worth the money 
    It’s already on sale. Is $55 a good price for elite edition or go lower?
    Eh I’d say wait for it to be in the $30 to $40 range 
  • XenoXeno Posts: 21,031 master of ceremonies
    edited June 2023
    Not getting past champ in rocket league without learning how to air roll and wall launch. Gonna kms
    Also my work is the same typa place you can work as much OT as you want but as a driver, I'd have to work in the warehouse outside of my truck runs to get more hours. Every time I get back early I just gtfo of there instead of hopping on a forklift and banding plywood
  • Jobe_Wan_KenobiJobe_Wan_Kenobi Posts: 19,526 moneytalker
    Eric have you considered in desk cases? If you’re already going all out it seems like a waste to go with a regular looking case. Maybe an old Marshall speaker cabinet or a Macintosh case if it’s going in the studio. Liquid cooled can be a pain in the ass but all those fans can be annoying af if they run loud. Something else to consider if your using it for studio use. 
    Pass the god damn butter.
    Eric have you considered in desk cases? If you’re already going all out it seems like a waste to go with a regular looking case. Maybe an old Marshall speaker cabinet or a Macintosh case if it’s going in the studio. Liquid cooled can be a pain in the ass but all those fans can be annoying af if they run loud. Something else to consider if your using it for studio use. 
    Naw, I fully intend to use this as close to a console setup as possible, so it will be on the entertainment center, fully on display and wired to my OLED. For that reason, I’m not even getting a standard mouse and keyboard or monitor for it. Will jus get another Bluetooth Keyboard/Trackpad all in one like I have for my Ally, to control it from across the room and do what I need to do.

Now, the motherboard I’m getting has Thunderbolt, and the main reason I had to stick to Mac for my studio rig is because my entire recording rig runs off Thunderbolt, which predominantly was not featured on PC before. So if my audio interface will run on this PC, I jus may end up recouping some of the money and trading in the Mac, making my new PC a true all in one, but I’m not sure. Because then that would require constant lugging back and forth between the 2 rooms to do what I want to do. So for convenience sake, since I’ll already have both, it may be best for me to simply keep the Mac in the studio for strictly music, and PC in my room, strictly for gaming.
    edited June 2023
    Luckily I didn’t already buy it yet, but I’m now kinda torn on what CPU to get. I was originally dead set on the 13900KS, but after some more research, it seems like the 7950X3D might be the better option. They’re obviously Intel and AMD’s flagship CPUs, respectively, and they’re both essentially the exact same price. The 13900KS is technically the absolute fastest CPU on the market, and also has more cores than the AMD, but it seems the AMD is better optimized for gaming specifically, which makes sense considering basically all consoles have been using AMD based chips, gaming performance is clearly their focus. In head to heads, the Intel gets slightly better FPS on a lot of games, but the AMD beats the Intel on others, both paired wit a 4090. It depends game to game tho and we’re talking minimal differences, sometimes only outperforming the other by as little as 1-2 FPS. 

The one clear advantage the AMD has is that it runs significantly cooler and draws less power, which makes sense since it has less cores. 

Basically seems like the Intel is best as an all rounder that will also be able to handle additional CPU heavy processes better and faster due to the extra cores, but for strictly gaming, AMD is better optimized and offers equal and in some cases better performance, at a way lower utilization rate. 

It’s a very hard decision because like I said, they’re the same price, so one option doesn’t save me any money, and they both outperform eachother depending on the game. And it’s not even a majority situation where it’s like the Intel performs better on 80% of games, it’s more like a 50-50 split right down the middle. And even at negligible 1-10 FPS differences, if one or the other had that advantage for most games, then the choice would be easy.

One thing leaning me more towards the Intel is the fact that, even tho this is being built specifically as a gaming PC, if I’m already spending top dollar and maxing everything out as it is, I like the prospect of it also being a complete workhorse that will handle anything I could possibly throw at it, if only for getting my money’s worth’s sake. The AMD is still a beast, but the ceiling’s lower away from gaming.

Either way I’m getting an absolute top of the line CPU and paired wit the 4090, there’s zero chance I end up anywhere near disappointed in performance, but for what I’m putting into it, I want the absolute best I can get.
    Post edited by EpisodeMnH on
    Will you be getting your money's worth if you go the intel route and, despite intentions, only use it for gaming/routine browsing?
    I've used amd processors recently and from what I've use they are fucking great.