Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

***Official Video Games Thread***

Comments

• FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    Boss is going to Cincinnati this weekend boi. He already left so ima chill and play some zelda. You just wondering around @jake or are you doing main quests?

First thing i did after the tutorial is getting the 3 pieces of the glide suit. Makes moving around so much easier. Plus once its upgraded it negates fall damage. 
    I'm still just wandering around. I haven't played much this week but yeah I'm just wandering around looking for gear and doing random shit. 
  • Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,592 spicy boy
    I took most of today off, but I've now been just doing sides. 

Only really for one group, but I think it plays a role in the story so I won't say anything about it. 

Game is lit though. Once you start getting good at fusing weapons you get filthy. 
  • NOCAPNOCAP Posts: 37,281 mod
    If I didn’t get such a good deal on the Ally I would have cancelled already and just keep the aok. Better battery life, better performance since the Z1 extreme is lacking compared to the 7840u. Not sure what’s going on with that because they were supposed to be the same chip but maybe AMD downgraded it a little to keep prices low? Updated drivers may smooth things out. At least I can return if I don’t fuck with it. 

https://youtu.be/XaLQaDUCbHU

Man that thing has all the bells and whistles. 

Need
    You think the A1 pro is the best on the market currently 8n these price ranges? 

I'm tempted to wait it out another 6 months to a year, but man the switch just makes me want something handheld for my other games lol
    Anyone use the hori switch split pad? 

I'm looking for some options to make handheld mode more comfortable. 

It's fine for zelda because I dont grip it tok hard, but for Games like splatoon/unite I'd like better analogs/more comfortable option
  • MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,703 spicy boy
    Anyone use the hori switch split pad? 

I'm looking for some options to make handheld mode more comfortable. 

It's fine for zelda because I dont grip it tok hard, but for Games like splatoon/unite I'd like better analogs/more comfortable option
    Get the Nyxi joycons. They're bigger, comfortable, work great both handheld and docked, and have motion control
    Do You Like Hurting Other People?
    You think the A1 pro is the best on the market currently 8n these price ranges? 

I'm tempted to wait it out another 6 months to a year, but man the switch just makes me want something handheld for my other games lol
    If you keep waiting you’re always going to be chasing the next big thing. Specs wise the A1 pro is the best handheld in the market and the early bird price is competitive af compared to the Ally or any of the new 7840u handhelds coming to the market. I’ve been watching and following this stuff very closely. The Ally has a ton of issues that Asus needs to iron out before June 11th. 

The only issue with the Chinese handhelds is their support isn’t the greatest. I’m in the Aokzoe discord and they have been doing a better job at communicating. If you don’t want to take that risk then buy the Ally because at least you can return to Best Buy if you don’t fuck with it. 

Just understand that at low TDP the steam deck still seems to get better performance than the Ally. It could be because of drivers it could be because of the windows bloat. It’s not very clear but that’s the reality. Also you will need to buy the Ally specific dock if you want to push the performance connected to a monitor or tv. I’ve seen several say that when plugged in and connected to a tv or monitor the performance suffers. I don’t think this will happen with the official dock because you’re getting your power and HDMI connection all in one plug. 

You’re going to get under an hour of battery with the Ally if you’re playing something heavy which is a huge turn off but we knew this because of the 45wh battery. None of these handhelds are perfect you just have to find one that will suit your needs. 

Im not really concerned too much with batter life as 90% of the time I can play, it will mostly be on the couch where I have a charger. 

Yeah. I think I'm mostly just going to hold off until these new versions iron stuff out. 

They are to the point now where I feel like they can handle what I want performance wise, but some of the kinks still need worked out like you said 
    Basically my needs are performance vs price.

I'm willing to shell out for the best versions, but also want it to not be north of 1k really lol
    Steam Deck is still a killer for $399 base price. You can buy a SSD and replace the 64 GB one. Once you get over the Linux bullshit there’s so many things you can do with it. I was playing RDR 2 last night on it. Valve’s magic with how they get these AAA games to run on it smooth is crazy. I’ve been able to run everything I’ve thrown at it. I just want a better screen and a little performance bump and I like new toys lol. 

yeah, that's my biggest gripe with the steam deck. I would totally use that just because i know functionality wise its just going to be solid. 

I just am not sure im sold on the screen for it. Ive never operated one, so i should go to the store and check it out ( does best buy or anywhere display these things?)

My other concern with the deck is its longevity. How long before im going to need to replace it? But yeah i like new tech toys too and just want a bit of a bump if the quality is worth the cost 
  • EpisodeMnHEpisodeMnH Posts: 4,715 jayfacer
    edited May 2023
    Yo Ed, when you swapped the SSD on the Steam Deck, was there a program you used to do a clean transfer of everything, including OS? I jus recently upgraded the Galaxy Book to a 2TB 2280 SSD and that was as seamless as possible because the SSD was also Samsung, so I was able to use their proprietary cloning software and make an exact copy, then jus pop the new one in. So I’m tryna see if there’s an equivalent for 2230s. I’m bout to order a 2TB on Friday jus so I have it ahead of time for the Ally on launch day, and I’m tryna do the swap day one and not even put anything on the base 512GB. I know obviously Steam Deck uses Linux as opposed to Windows, but since both the Ally and the Deck use 2230s, I figure it should be a similar process regardless.
    It’s easy af to swap out the SSD. Might be even easier on the Ally as Asus promotes you to swap out the SSD. Valve gave us the files to the OS so we could always add it on the SSD. I’m sure Asus will have the files on their site. 

Yeah I think I'm going to get an ally. 

I'm going to wait a few months for everything to work itself out, and make sure it's what I fuck with
    I'm either using ultra hand for everything, or forgetting I gave it and not being able to figure out a quest or puzzle lmao
    yeah, that's my biggest gripe with the steam deck. I would totally use that just because i know functionality wise its just going to be solid. 

I just am not sure im sold on the screen for it. Ive never operated one, so i should go to the store and check it out ( does best buy or anywhere display these things?)

My other concern with the deck is its longevity. How long before im going to need to replace it? But yeah i like new tech toys too and just want a bit of a bump if the quality is worth the cost 
    Honestly just get the Ally. You get at least 14 days to test it out and see if you like it. If you don’t like it you can return it. There’s still people using handhelds from over a decade ago like the PSP, DS, and Psvita for emulation. For AAA gaming you’ll still get years of life out of it. There’s so many games on Windows you can run plus being able to download game pass games. I only ever play my PS5 and handhelds these days and that’s only because I like to physically collect games. Once they clip physical games I’ll be only using my handheld PC’s.

NOCAP said:
    It’s easy af to swap out the SSD. Might be even easier on the Ally as Asus promotes you to swap out the SSD. Valve gave us the files to the OS so we could always add it on the SSD. I’m sure Asus will have the files on their site. 
    Yea that’s the main thing is I need the Windows install to jus transfer over cause technically I won’t have any data to even transfer yet since I plan on doing it day one. Really jus need the OS to move over so that I can actually boot it up once the 2TB is in lol.
    I know I can use an Xbox controller since even the official Ally controller is jus a rebranded Xbox controller, but it would technically still be a better idea to cop a second Xbox controller right? Cause otherwise I would have to resync the single one to either the Ally or Series X every time I switch?
    Also, you got a link to a good Bluetooth mouse and keyboard you use for the Deck? Even if the touch screen functionality is great, I am NOT doing all the typing, copying, and pasting involved wit downloading all the emulators and ROMs themselves strictly thru touch typing lmao. Plus it jus makes it so much more convenient, can dock that mf and web browse and do what I need to do right from bed.