Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

***Official Video Games Thread***

Comments

• Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,592 spicy boy
    GF is working 12 Saturday and Sunday so I'm gonna play the shit out of zelda lmao. 

I've never been a huge zelda guy, but I think I was just being a bitch lol. 

Elden ring really taught me patience with games lol. Totk is a legit masterpiece though. 
    Going back and playing the old ones may or may not be hard now depending on your tastes. Obviously you know BOTW and TOTK are the only 2 like this in the franchise. But speaking of, since I’m simultaneously playing some of the older Zeldas alongside TOTK, (From Skyward Sword to Wind Waker now to Twilight Princess next.) it got me thinking bout how I hope Nintendo isn’t now backed into a corner where Zelda HAS to be open world and massive now and never goes back to the more traditional formula. I love both and I think there’s room for both, but I feel like they now will prolly feel like doing the traditional approach again would be moving backwards. But they’re so drastically different to the point that I know there’s people who only like BOTW and TOTK and can’t stand the others, and then vice versa. If they ever DO go the traditional route again, it will prolly now be delivered as a spin-off type title like Minish Cap or Phantom Hourglass, instead of a mainline entry.

i saw a statement from this week that basically said that the BOTW format is the plan going forward. 

I may go back and play BOTW, but idk if i should because TOTK just feels like BOTW on steroids lol. 

I do want to go back and play some of the older ones though. 
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    I'm honestly cool with them doing 3D Zelda in the BOTW format under two conditions: they keep making 2D Zelda games like the Link's Awakening Remake and A Link Between Worlds, and they introduce things like major dungeons again into the BOTW format 
  • EpisodeMnHEpisodeMnH Posts: 4,715 jayfacer
    This came today. GOAT Zelda shirt. This that same site I posted a few weeks back. Definitely copping a few more especially that Darkthrone Dry Bones lmao. Jus wanted to try one to start to see the fit cause I’m picky af being a tall boi. I usually don’t even cop normal fit lol always tall/long fit.

Where'd you get that? That's sick. Best Ganon
    Man I have not done one puzzle or been just free roaming and ever been board in totk. 

I need to play through the story, but it's a generationally great game imo. 
    That is also a lit shirt
  • NOCAPNOCAP Posts: 37,281 mod
    Nintendo is trying to do everything in their power to kill emulation right now. I swear I can’t stand that fucking company. Too many people simp Nintendo when they’re the worst game company out of the big three. 

Where'd you get that? That's sick. Best Ganon
    I posted it a few pages back, but they’re called DraculaByte. Their whole thing is fusing video games and Metal logos. There’s also some Star Wars and DC/Marvel ones. Definitely need a handful more lmao. Only issue is a lot of logos end up getting reused, for instance they prolly got like 4-5 different designs and characters that use the Mayhem logo/font, but jus gotta pick the best singular use of them in that case lmao.
    NOCAP said:
    Nintendo is trying to do everything in their power to kill emulation right now. I swear I can’t stand that fucking company. Too many people simp Nintendo when they’re the worst game company out of the big three. 
    What kills me about them blocking Dolphin on Steam is A: It still doesn’t stop mfs from using Dolphin on the Steam Deck lmao. They’ll jus continue doing it like they already have. And B: Even if people were to go out of their way to play these GameCube and Wii games the “real” way, Nintendo wouldn’t really make shit off of it anyways, cause essentially the only way to still get these consoles and games is used sales on eBay and Mercari, so either way Nintendo gets Jack shit out of it and nothing changes lmao. It’s stupid as fuck. I can see being more uptight about Yuzu considering it’s emulating their current console, (And to no surprise, Switch ROMs currently require the most jumping thru hoops to find.) but for the old ones it’s dumb unless they were to make it to where you can still buy all of this shit new and easily.
    Got nearly all my Ally accessories copped. Jus ordered that new Sabrent 2TB 2230 SSD, preordered the DBrand screen protector, picked a Bluetooth keyboard/trackpad combo, now jus waiting for the official ROG dock and carrying case to go on preorder at Best Buy and that’ll be everything. Rumored street date is tomorrow, the 28th.
    Been playing the fuck out of Texas Chainsaw Massacre on the steam deck. Got a lot of tech issues but it’s pretty fun. 

• MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,703 spicy boy
    Wait there's a Texas Chainsaw game? 
    Do You Like Hurting Other People?
    Wait there's a Texas Chainsaw game? 
    Yeah but you'd hate it. I do. It's like every other horror franchise game that's been made the last few years. Dead By Daylight/Friday the 13th/Evil Dead/etc
    Even Killer Klowns From Outer Space is getting one of those Dead by Daylight type games =)
    Friday the 13th had some fun to it. The problem was that the servers were awful. 
    Ahh. 

I dont hate those games, but I dont love them
  • Dime2Dime2 Posts: 2,785 jayfacer
    *MAJOR SIDE QUEST SPOILERS FOR HOGWARTS LEGACY**

Beat Hogwarts Legacy today. Overall, not a bad game but not an amazing one. The sheer amount of things to do in the open world is staggering, I was never bored with exploring (easily the best part of the game) but I wish there was a little more variety to it. Bear in mind, I 100% everything so I’ve literally seen it all (I can have the platinum in 6 hours because I’m only missing the house specific trophies for making it to the map room as a Hufflepuff, Gryffindor and Slytherin student). I wish there was a little more variety because the treasure caverns sucked and the Merlin trials were fun but there definitely didn’t need to be fucking 95 of them. That said, I was never not having fun after unlocking all Alohomora levels and digging around in Hamlets and Hogwarts itself unlocking secrets. The field guide pages are a great addition and are very lore accurate and insightful I loved them. Traveling on the broom>>>than mounts though the mounts were cool. 
         I loved every single thing about the Room of Requirement. The customization options aren’t the most unique around but there’s an ambitious variety to what you’re able to do perfectly cherried on top by being able to catch and breed beasts. Some of the side quests were redundant bullshit but that’s typical of such a large open world. A lot of the companion specific quests were great though and I was really impressed by Natty, Sebastian and Poppy not only as great characters but really fun and surprising story twists. I saw literally none of it coming. Natty being an animagus, Sebastian killing his uncle and Poppy belonging to a family of poachers, these all tied themselves into their respective side quests wonderfully, and I really came around to all of them as characters, Ominus included. 
        The main story however was boring as fuck for the first half. The first two trials were copy and pasted and honestly boring as shit. I know they’re playing up a mystery but they give you too little to work with so you’re doing this list of chores and these repetitive trials for like 5 seconds of new information. However, starting from trial 3 and up the story hits the gas and NEVER lets up. Playing around with the “tools” in the third trial was a huge surprise and a welcome one and the twist when you do finally get to that last memory made it worth all the grindy portions. The ending sequence is amazing and while that main death didn’t really hit me in the feels as much as the devs were going for, I was still sad to see that character go. The final boss fight and the battle with Rookwood were also done extremely well. 
        As for the combat, I fucking loved it. I initially feared it would become stale but it just never got old juggling spells and even with my complaints on the puzzle segments it was still fun juggling the awesome amount of spells you do actually get to play around with. I loved figuring out different combinations against the more annoying enemies that would make the fights easier and the interjection of combat challenges was a really nice little challenge in itself. I stopped to dick around and fight at almost every encounter, even after I max leveled and wouldn’t gain anything from it. 
       Your character is unfortunately a plank of wood most of the time and I wish your in game choices actually mattered (from what I experienced in my play through and the people I’ve talked to who’ve played it your choices really don’t mean shit) but for a first stab at an open world game, especially compared with everything else these devs did do right, I can look past that nitpick. The students you get a companion quest with and the professors (most of them) did step up and become really likable characters by games end though they didn’t make a strong first impression. S/o to the potions and DADA professors especially. 
       Unfortunately, I experienced bugs throughout. It’s clear they focused more on making this run smooth on PS5, and weren’t worried about the previous consoles gen. Items clipping through the floor and becoming unlootable, my character being a straight mental retard when it came to opening doors as I had to stand outside each one for about 20 seconds before he’d finally push it open, leaving areas being problematic as I had to hold square then have to run around in a circle for ten seconds before spawning outside the door I was trying to leave from and finally exiting, obnoxiously long loading times between entering/exiting different areas (it was literally faster for me to walk or fly  then use the fast travel option in most cases, that’s how bad the load times were), inconsistent lighting and hair/facial textures stuttering or just refusing to load right was something I dealt with for all 63 hours of my play through. 
       Overall, it’s an ambitious game. It does a lot right, some other stuff is okay for what it is and a few features should have been straight up removed or need a serious overhaul. I enjoyed my time with it but I never fell madly in love with it and it’s a shame because this was the game I was waiting on since I read the first book at 8 years old. This is Avalanche’s first game with the license I believe and with that in consideration they did a pretty solid job. 7/10. I’m pretty much there for the platinum (it’ll take me roughly 6 hours of replaying the same exact segment of the game) but I really wanna dive into Star Wars so I might just put this off for a while. 

Im still nowhere near finishing Hogwarts. I have no idea how you guys finish games so quickly 
    Ahh. 

I dont hate those games, but I dont love them
    I guess I shouldn't say I hate them, I just think they're a waste of the IP they use. A single player Evil Dead game or Texas Chainsaw game would be nuts. Hell, even do the multiplayer if you want still. 
    Friday the 13th had some fun to it. The problem was that the servers were awful. 
    Published by the same company as Friday. I enjoyed Friday a lot more than DBD despite the glitches and lack of support. I wish they didn’t lose the license to the franchise. This game isn’t as good as Friday but I’m having a hell of a time.