Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

***Official Video Games Thread***

Comments

• NOCAPNOCAP Posts: 37,281 mod
    Yeah it’s not going to be fully ready to go outside of the box. It’s fully set up to run your steam games out the box. Anything else and you need to do your research. It’s probably the easiest handheld PC to set up because there’s a large community that have created ways to make everything faster. You could have downloaded emudeck and you would have had every emulator you needed and all you would have had to do was dump your roms and bios. Everything is basically set up for you. I have many of these handhelds and I still go back to the steam deck because of how versatile it is. 

And why do you need windows so bad? Linux isn’t as user friendly but it lets you do a whole lot more. I have Linux/Windows dual boot upon start up but I only use windows to download game pass games. 

• Dime2Dime2 Posts: 2,785 jayfacer
    NoCap you a real nigga bro
  • Jobe_Wan_KenobiJobe_Wan_Kenobi Posts: 19,526 moneytalker
    Played two games of Isaac Four Souls with the family tonight. Game is fun as fuck and everyone had a great time playing it. First game took forever, but none of us had any experience playing those types of card games. Second game went way faster. It’s definitely gonna be at the top of the list for board/card games we play. 
    Pass the god damn butter.
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    Hey Todd

Your vote matters, pussy
  • EpisodeMnHEpisodeMnH Posts: 4,715 jayfacer
    NOCAP said:
    Nvm, returning the Steam Deck lmao. Thing is honestly a piece of shit. Especially for the way I wanna use it. Does a lil bit of everything but in the most out of the way, time consuming way possible. And the fact that streaming is in 720p lmfaoooo. Literally makes me wanna stay on my way smaller phone screen, which defeats the purpose. And Chiaki even is an entire mission if you wanna set it up for remote play outside of your network, which is literally the only way I’d be using it. 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

So what I instead did, was I jus copped a Galaxy Book2 Pro 360. It’s a 2 in 1 that’s both a laptop and a tablet. 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD like the Steam Deck, but way better processor and resolution. Bout $400 more, but does everything I need it to WAY more efficiently and intuitively, at a higher level of performance, and an AMOLED screen. 

Only good thing about the entire fucking migraine that the past 2 whole days was, was the fact that I now know the whole emulation process, so it should be a breeze to set up on the Galaxy, especially since it’s Windows. And I can use my Switch Pro controller since they were all Nintendo games.
    What were you trying to use the steam deck for? Im confused as why you would downgrade to an android device. Emulation is fine on Android but no where near what a handheld pc can do. 
    Yea I think Erik just didnt really "get" what the Steam Deck is for. Its a gaming PC on the go, moreso than it is one of those plug and play emulation handhelds. If you arent comitted to the PC experience, it probably isnt the thing to use
    No, I get exactly what it is. But my point is that every single process on there is completely from the ground up and out of your way. For instance, shit as simple as installing streaming apps on there, it’s not even a dedicated “app”. You create your own Google Chrome pathways that lead to the web browser page of each website. And then on top of that, if you want it to look professional and have all the correct logos, you need to then go and download logo packs for every single one of them and manually input all of them for each one. And then Chiaki, if you want to remote play away from home, you need to go into your router settings and set a static IP, change shit around, fuck wit settings, etc. when on a dedicated Windows laptop or even my fucking phone, it’s as simple as simply logging into the official apps and connecting, from anywhere I’m at. Everything is too out of the way and DIY. Call it laziness or whatever but I bought it for convenience’ sake, not for everything that I want it to do to be a complete fucking job, at a lesser level of performance to boot, making the effort feel not even worth it. All that jus to watch streaming shit, and all you get out of it is 720p wit horrible quiet ass built in speakers lmfao.

Also, how am I downgrading to an “Android device”? The Galaxy Book2 Pro 360 is a straight up Windows 11 laptop that also runs in tablet mode.
    Like I said, its a PC, not a plug and play handheld of tablet. Its no different than a laptop
    And like I said, I understood that going in. I knew it wasn’t plug and play. I knew it took manual set-up like a PC. I was fine and prepared for that. What I didn’t expect was how counterintuitive everything is. Like I said, something as basic and simple as adding streaming apps requires creating individual Chrome gateways for each individual one, downloading artwork packs and inserting them for each and every one if you want it to look official, etc., all for the picture to look garbage, which makes it feel not even worth it. I didn’t expect plug and play at all, but even on a straight up PC, simple shit like that is as simple as downloading the app and calling it a day, not an entire fucking unnecessary process. And like I said, if the performance wasn’t sub-optimal, then it would at least feel worth the extra effort, but it simply doesn’t as it currently stands. 

Artwork added automatically via steam rom manager *kanye shrug*

Yes, for emulated games. I already did EmuDeck and shit. Everything else was completely manual and out of the way. For the third time.
    LET’S FUCKING GOOOOO. Glad I held off, this is what I was waiting on. 

The surprise drop fucked me up tho, the Pro controller sold out. Would have set an alarm if they made any kind of announcement smh. At least I got the console tho. Plus only Best Buy preorders went live so far. I’m assuming I’ll be able to catch the controller on Amazon or something.
  • MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,703 spicy boy
    The devs sent me a free copy, here are my first impressions. Its a new boomer shooter, in early access

https://youtu.be/G4jEs-EFSJ4
    Do You Like Hurting Other People?
    Secured the Pro controller too now thru GameStop let’s goooooo. 😤🤘🏻
    Gaming time got all fucked up last week wit the headache of setting up the Steam Deck. Which is even more tragic since it resulted only in a return anyways lmao. But I did end up finishing the Platinum on SpongeBob Cosmic Shake. Clocked in at 20 hours even. Great simple retro feeling platformer. Didn’t do anything above and beyond but did everything that it DID do solidly and those types of games are always a joy, and they’re fewer and further between these days. Calling it a spiritual successor to Battle For Bikini Bottom was accurate cause that’s exactly what it felt like. A more modern, prettier version of BFBB. IGN was hilarious for their review of it tho. They’re so inconsistent. They’re notorious for being too generous but then on this one they gave it a 5/10 and said it’s doing nothing groundbreaking compared to other platformers like Super Mario Odyssey. 💀💀 Bro Odyssey is the greatest platformer of all time, this game wasn’t trying to be anything like that. It’s simply what it says it is. A spiritual successor to a retro 2003 PS2 era game, and it keeps that same feeling alive. So for what it set out to do and succeeded at, I’ll give it a solid 8/10.

Now on to Saints Row The Third Remastered. Decided to move it up since I’m playing Skyward Sword HD on the Switch. Other than Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Pokémon Legends Arceus, which I plan on playing in a back to back to back marathon wit Pokémon Violet, these 2 are the only 2 older games that were left on the backlog, so figured it was a good time to knock them both out. Only 3 hours in to SR3 as of right now, but it’s a blast so far, and I can’t believe how good it looks in motion/gameplay. THIS is how to do a remaster if it’s not gonna be a full blown remake. It literally looks like a modern PS5 game during gameplay, I couldn’t believe how buttery smooth it is. You would never know it’s a 10+ year old PS3 game. The only place it shows it’s age is facial animations during cutscenes, but even then, it looks decent enough.
  • FLATFLAT Posts: 60,661 spicy boy
    Every time I see spongebob mentioned and they don’t even listen to ween. 
    Also, about 13 hours into Skyward Sword HD. Really enjoying it, but I definitely see why it was so divisive. There’s a great core game here, world and exploration is A1 per usual for Zelda, but that motion based control system jus makes everything feel so amateur. Combat never feels satisfying as a result. Granted, the way they reworked it into stick control on the remaster is a lot better, but since they already had taken the time to rework the control scheme, I wish they jus went all the way and did a full blown button based control scheme like the other traditional Zelda games. The stick shit is still wonky as fuck. The saving grace is that they seemed to basically know how bad it handicaps you, so the difficulty of combat, even boss battles, was toned down as a result. If these bosses were at the level of some of the BOTW bosses for example, they would be damn near unbeatable wit these controls, it’s jus not intuitive enough. But overall this is a shining example of why that gimmick based motion gameplay came and went as quick as it did, it did nothing but hinder games. This game is great otherwise and I bet you if it controlled standard, it would be held in the same regard as Twilight Princess. I never played the original Wii version, so this is brand new to me, but this is clearly the optimal way to play it, even tho the stick system still ain’t great either.
    Galaxy Book came yesterday. Got it completely loaded up and ready to go, emulators and games included, in bout an hour flat. Simple and straight to the fucking point like it should be, on a bigger and better screen.

It’s a downgrade tho, he says. 
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    E3 is canceled this year, and probably for good.

While most of the presentations were cringey or pointless it was cool getting like 50 trailer drops in one weekend. Felt like the start of the new year for the industry 
  • Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,592 spicy boy
    Yeah. its been a long time coming but i liked watching it every year still. Feels sad but also knew we would be here sooner than later. It served its purpose time to move on
    Amazon got me good with the Zelda collectors edition and pro controller. Best Buy got me on the OLED. Not hype like the others for the new Zelda cause I didn’t fuck with BOTW. Prob just gonna resell and buy something else. 

• Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,592 spicy boy
    You trying to sell that pokemon one?