Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

***Official Video Games Thread***

Comments

• EpisodeMnHEpisodeMnH Posts: 4,708 jayfacer
    Yo Sonic Frontiers got no business being this good lmao. Thank fucking God.
  • MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,699 spicy boy
    What about it do you find that good? 

Im on the third island, and while I dont think its bad, I just kind of find it ok. Sonic Forces had better level design and music. The voice acting is off (I hate Sonic's voice, though this actor has been Sonic forever now, and Ive never liked his voice as Sonic). Combat is super simplistic, and the open world is extremely tedious. Some of the enemies are kind of bullshit too, to the point I prefer to just avoid combat all together when I can. 

People keep calling it the best Sonic since Heroes, and the savior of the franchise, and I just dont see it. 
    Do You Like Hurting Other People?
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,721 mod
    edited January 2023
    Sonic Colors is better than Heroes, modern console port issues aside. I haven't played Frontiers yet but from what I've seen I think I'll enjoy it.
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
    I mean, I loved Sonic Mania, I liked Sonic Forces, Sonic Colors, and Unleashed are cool. Sonic 06 at least has an amazing soundtrack. 

And I LIKE Sonic Frontiers too. But I just dont LOVE it. 
  • XenoXeno Posts: 21,031 master of ceremonies
    Better than spending endless dollars on a monetization system designed to be as parasitic and grindy as humanely possible

It’s only horse armor. 
    Hey! I get that reference!
  • EpisodeMnHEpisodeMnH Posts: 4,708 jayfacer
    What about it do you find that good? 

Im on the third island, and while I dont think its bad, I just kind of find it ok. Sonic Forces had better level design and music. The voice acting is off (I hate Sonic's voice, though this actor has been Sonic forever now, and Ive never liked his voice as Sonic). Combat is super simplistic, and the open world is extremely tedious. Some of the enemies are kind of bullshit too, to the point I prefer to just avoid combat all together when I can. 

People keep calling it the best Sonic since Heroes, and the savior of the franchise, and I just dont see it. 
    Yea but you don’t like open world shit as a whole, you’ve said that a million times. So slapping Sonic in the same scenario won’t magically make it appeal to you. Me I love open world and like I’ve said before, they’re overall my favorite type of games. Even thru the monotony, I find them extremely relaxing and the easiest games to straight up binge for long ass periods without realizing it cause you get lost in it. So that being said, Sonic surprisingly does all of that EXTREMELY well. I was burning thru time simply going around clearing up all those heart tokens and the challenges cause they’re all short and sweet and fit the movement mechanics perfectly so they become addicting. Like everybody else, I had my doubts too because my main thought was “How do they possibly make Sonic work in an open world setting? Feels forced.” but was also interested due to how different it was on paper. And I’m happy to see that the execution was satisfying. What really caught me was how many things absolutely should not work but somehow do. The ambient yoga type music? “Wtf this doesn’t fit Sonic.” Until it settles in and it actually does. Doesn’t fit traditional Sonic at all, but this is not traditional Sonic. The whole ambient kind of “hollow” setting should not work, but it somehow does and is extremely fun and fitting to explore due to Sonic’s speed. Essentially everything about this game was taking a risk and doing something completely different and weird and it somehow didn’t end up being a train wreck and is instead pretty fucking good. That alone gets all my respect. It’s not perfect but this blueprint wit more polish could end up producing a straight up classic sequel.

I agree his voice is straight poverty tho lmao what the fuck is even that.
    edited January 2023
    I hope they improve the combat and puzzle design if they go forward with this style of Sonic game. All puzzles basically down to "make a ring around this thing". Some of them are laughably bad and easy. 

I was mostly disappointed with the Cyberspace missions. I was most looking forward to those, because they looked like respite from the open world, and like they would have given us a more classic 3D Sonic feel, which I would have appreciated. But they're so short, and the level design is kinda bad for most of them. Outside of 1-2, I've 100%ed all of them in one or two tries, and dont feel compelled to replay any again. 

Idk why they have such a hard time capturing the magic of Sonic Adventure again. Just make a 3D Sonic with good movement controls, unique platforming options, and good level design. 
    Lol somebody messaged me on Steam with a "please dont buy Hogwarts Legacy"

Here we go
  • Dime2Dime2 Posts: 2,782 jayfacer
    Tell them you already pre-ordered 2 copies. One to play and one to treasure forever. I triggered some hoe bag I barely talked to. First time we've talked in months and she hit me with a "I know you're a HP fan but I hope you arent planning on buying Hogwarts Legacy.." wall of doom. I asked why and she hit me with some transphobic blah blah blah so I sent her a screen shot of me and my friends' group chat where I said "Alright my dudes. Wasn't gonna buy Hogwarts Legacy but this chick I'm talking too just convinced me. Who wants a pre-order while I'm there? My treat." Insta blocked. 
    I'm 100% buying it. Still going back and forth between PC and PS5, but I'll probably do PS5 to get the exclusive content before the year. Since I rarely play games for more than a year. 

If mods come out that look really good, or future story DLC, I'll probably get it on PC during a Steam sale too then. 
    Preordered for PS5.
  • Dime2Dime2 Posts: 2,782 jayfacer
    Beat and 103% Donkey Kong Country 3. Never doing this shit again lmao
  • Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,592 spicy boy
    just read that the day before is coming to xbox and ps5 so i am hype
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    edited January 2023
    Goldeneye N64 now on Nintendo Switch Online Expansion pass. @NOCAP @MetalCoresades @MarcTheFallen y'all don't want these fucking problems 
    Post edited by FIRENATHANIELHACKETT on
  • Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,592 spicy boy
    just read that the day before is coming to xbox and ps5 so i am hype
    literally the day after i talk about this game it gets delayed 9 months because someone else had the name copywrite. 

i didn't mention this game forever to anyone because i was fearful of another delay lmao. 
    That games doesnt actually exist. Look into some of the stuff going on BTS, its kind of wild. Seems like a huge scam. 
  • NOCAPNOCAP Posts: 37,280 mod
    Goldeneye N64 now on Nintendo Switch Online Expansion pass. @NOCAP @MetalCoresades @MarcTheFallen y'all don't want these fucking problems 
    Too bad I don’t have the N64 online portion for the switch. I got game pass though if y’all niggas tryna play. 

• NOCAPNOCAP Posts: 37,280 mod
    Dead Space Remake looking goated. EA did something right for once???