Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

A Mosque at Ground Zero...

Comments

• laurjohn2laurjohn2 Posts: 6,951 balls deep
    wine, all the questions have been answered. you asked about the mosques and i answered earlier. this is what i said:

BTW...i knew 8 people that died on that day. Flights all came out of my local city, Boston. i do have emotional ties to this and think it is in bad taste to have these mosques anywhere near ground zero
  • drinkwine732drinkwine732 Posts: 20,418 destroyer of motherfuckers
    wine, all the questions have been answered. you asked about the mosques and i answered earlier. this is what i said:

BTW...i knew 8 people that died on that day. Flights all came out of my local city, Boston. i do have emotional ties to this and think it is in bad taste to have these mosques anywhere near ground zero
    Do you blame Islam as a whole for those 8 people and their death? I too have emotional ties to this, and bringing it up is not only irrelevant and an attempt to garner sympathy, it's unnecessary. I don't blame Ireland or Catholicism for killing many during the IRA's prominence, so I don't protest the construction of an Irish Embassy. If you blame Islam for the attack on 9/11, then you fall into the category of a ton of Americans who, in my not so humble opinion, just plain have it wrong. We need as a country to focus upon who our enemy is. It's not these people, it's the people who put IEDs on the side of the road.
    My Top Albumsidrinkwine732's Profile Page
  • Alec29Alec29 Posts: 3,864 juggalo
    don't get me started on health care.....that's why i am no longer middle class
    Again, incorrect, Universal Health Care hasn't even reached step 1, so your money isn't going to that if that is what you're talking about. Your tax dollars are going to pay the trillions of dollars USA owes to China. No, not because of Obama, because of Bush.
    Because the tax cuts aren't being extended? That's more of the Obama administrations fault though. I think they shouldn't be extended, but we need to avoid blaming Bush for everything.

I'd like you to respond to some of my statements and questions please, John.

Extending the tax cuts will only help the economy. My job will institute a hiring freeze as soon as those tax cuts go away. We hired two new people because of the tax breaks Bush implemented for employers. Obama is a joke and his own party is slowly coming to that realization. While I voted for Bush both times I won't attempt to "defend" any of his decisions. I will say this, in all sincerity, I have made far less money under Obama than I did with Bush. My financial situation is much worse under Obama as is most of the country's. C'mon nearly ten per cent of the population is umenployed and the Democrats argued about a bill that would have helped these people by extending the benefits period. (the bill eventually passed) After the general elections in November the control will be once again in the Republicans hands and we'll see if they are any better. I'm voting against everybody that is currently in office, regardless of what party. They are all losers and need to be replaced. What they have been doing obviously ain't working.
    edited August 2010
    Extending the tax cuts will only help the economy. My job will institute a hiring freeze as soon as those tax cuts go away. We hired two new people because of the tax breaks Bush implemented for employers. Obama is a joke and his own party is slowly coming to that realization. While I voted for Bush both times I won't attempt to "defend" any of his decisions. I will say this, in all sincerity, I have made far less money under Obama than I did with Bush. My financial situation is much worse under Obama as is most of the country's. C'mon nearly ten per cent of the population is umenployed and the Democrats argued about a bill that would have helped these people by extending the benefits period. (the bill eventually passed) After the general elections in November the control will be once again in the Republicans hands and we'll see if they are any better. I'm voting against everybody that is currently in office, regardless of what party. They are all losers and need to be replaced. What they have been doing obviously ain't working.
    My statement begins here...weird quote fail...

Well, this debate of government spending and tax cuts sort of comes down to philosophy, one that I consider to be a debate of short term success or long term success. I think that tax cuts really can help a society in a time of need, although, when instituted over the long term, they are seriously detrimental.

I think that you're looking at your income after taxes being lower, which is seriously damaging to your psyche, but is representative of a country attempting to heal after one of its worse economic depressions in its history. I could be wrong, but this is a problem that I hear about quite a bit.

As for voting against everybody in office, I support that. Just make sure you elect people worthy of election. For instance, Meg Whitman would not get my vote for Californian governor.

I'm unsure the Republicans will be able to get together a campaign that will be able to ruin my faith in Obama, but if he's there, I'll certainly take him. But if it's Palin, Jinal or anybody close to them, fuck that. I hope that America doesn't do something rash just because they don't like the short term effects of Obama's presidency.
  • MikeMike Posts: 7,820 admin
    Fixed the quote for you.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    No, wine, I am an accountant. I understand economics very well. May wages are 20% lower BEFORE taxes. They cut a whole day each week out of my job. No confusion there for me.

America as a whole is going to react one way or another. I expect the Obama supporters to blindly continue supporting him, and let's be honest here, alot of people who voted for him were first time voters who only registered after they were told a black man would be running. He garnered a ton of votes for that reason alone, not because he was qualified but because he was black. It's now quite obvious to me he was not prepared for what was waiting on him and it's time for him to either do something or get out of the way so someone else can.
    As far as the tax cuts/breaks go......Fedzilla can either work for us as the founding fathers intended or Fedzilla can continue destroying the very fabric of America. If you punish those who hire people then you are, by proxy, punishing the unemployed. Corporate taxes have nothing to do with private citizens and doesn't affect them one way or the other. That means that the people who bitch about "tax cuts for the rich" are not in the know about how taxes work.
    No, wine, I am an accountant. I understand economics very well. May wages are 20% lower BEFORE taxes. They cut a whole day each week out of my job. No confusion there for me.
    Then drop me some awesome economics lingo for what you think should happen. If you became president tomorrow, what would be your first action? Be careful though, this isn't one of those, "WELL WHAT DO YOU THINK WE SHULD DO IF YUR SO SMRT?" questions.
    America as a whole is going to react one way or another. I expect the Obama supporters to blindly continue supporting him, and let's be honest here, alot of people who voted for him were first time voters who only registered after they were told a black man would be running. He garnered a ton of votes for that reason alone, not because he was qualified but because he was black. It's now quite obvious to me he was not prepared for what was waiting on him and it's time for him to either do something or get out of the way so someone else can.
    I believe you're somewhat right. He did gain a lot of his support because of his race, but I supported him primarily because I believed him to be the worse of two evils. I will never trust a candidate who not only is ancient (and that's a problem, if you ask me) but then chooses Sarah Palin as a vice presidential candidate.
    As far as the tax cuts/breaks go......Fedzilla can either work for us as the founding fathers intended or Fedzilla can continue destroying the very fabric of America. If you punish those who hire people then you are, by proxy, punishing the unemployed. Corporate taxes have nothing to do with private citizens and doesn't affect them one way or the other. That means that the people who bitch about "tax cuts for the rich" are not in the know about how taxes work.
    Then what is the advantage to taxing business in the first place? Why? If they're so clearly damaging the unemployed, and as you make it seem, have little upside, then why keep them?
    i have spoken about some of what is going on with me on this board. i was middle class. Make a decent salary. own a home. have a wife and kid, etc...

Problems started with universal healthcare. we were told it was something that would not effect health insurance thru workplaces. they were very wrong. Since universal health care went in, nothing is being covered and i am pretty much paying everything out of pocket. Why don't i drop the insurance? Because mass has a law that if you don't have health insurance, and work for a company that has it, you get a tax penalty at the end of the year. Everyone i know at other workplaces are having the same thing happen, so its not my job.

I requested help thru the state, trying to use some of what Obama passed to help with medical expenses and my mortgage. Keep in mind my son is 4 and need extra medical help. Denied on everything for 2 reasons: 1, i make too much money and 2, my son doesn't have the correct imigration status!. this means if he was illegal, he would get insurance, but becuase he was born in the US, he doesn't! Bullshit!

Why i blame Obama: Because he is trying to push to all of america the bad healthcare that is currently is mass. because he is doing all sorts of spending, that increase taxes, to help illegals and people on wellfare, but not people that are not a drain on the system.

Then drop me some awesome economics lingo for what you think should happen. If you became president tomorrow, what would be your first action? Be careful though, this isn't one of those, "WELL WHAT DO YOU THINK WE SHULD DO IF YUR SO SMRT?" questions.
    To be honest, I'm not qualified to be president. But, with that being said, I'd probably slim down government first. No more private jets for Senators, etc. I'd also force all members of Congress and my Cabinet to take a pay cut(have 'em lead by example). Some programs couldn't and shouldn't be touched such as Medicare, Social Security, and VA benefits. I'd overfund the education systems to ensure America can be a force in the coming years.(Other countries kick America's ass in that department)
    I believe you're somewhat right. He did gain a lot of his support because of his race, but I supported him primarily because I believed him to be the worse of two evils. I will never trust a candidate who not only is ancient (and that's a problem, if you ask me) but then chooses Sarah Palin as a vice presidential candidate.

I agree. Palin was McCain's death nail. The Republicans should have nominated Fred Thompson. Would have been a different race then.
    Then what is the advantage to taxing business in the first place? Why? If they're so clearly damaging the unemployed, and as you make it seem, have little upside, then why keep them?
    I'm not saying they damage unemployed. They prevent a company from having the resources to grow the company. If they have to spend, for example, 100,000.00 a year in taxes then that's less money in the budget to expand the company by hiring, buying new equipment, etc.
    Well, you said they are "by proxy, punishing the unemployed."

I think that then to survive as a company you have to be efficient, and I think a lot of companies aren't willing to adapt (or at least in the right way) in times like this. For instance, a local pool here is encountering an enormous amount of economic trouble. They then hiked the price of membership 20% and shortened the hours, as to not pay the employees as much. Then, people said, why renew my membership if it's 20% as expensive? The move made them fall flat in their face, and now I don't think they're open anymore. If they were willing to understand that people don't want to pay that 20% more, they could have survived. This is capitalism, and you can't nitpick which parts you like and which parts you don't. There is, however, a point where taxes impede your ability to streamline. Because I am not a business owner, I don't know where that line is. I'm starting to stray into an uncomfortable zone though, because I'm not as well educated in matters of economics and modern business as I am in say, religion or law.
    I answered your other questions too, to the best of my abilty. They are just stuck in that awful mess of a quote above. Sorry.
    "
    I answered your other questions too, to the best of my abilty. They are just stuck in that awful mess of a quote above. Sorry.
    Oh, sorry, I didn't notice.

I'd agree. A change in the mindset of the senate and congress is a must have, because they often forget they are civil servants. I also agree that at least saturating the education fund is the most important thing that America needs. The only problem is we have no $ right now...

I would have still supported Obama, although I agree. It would have been a much closer race, and perhaps would have been better that way. But I still get laughs out of Palin.
    Sarah Palin make me embarrassed to be a registered Republican.
  • NolaFree810NolaFree810 Posts: 36,796 moneytalker
    Sarah Palin make me embarrassed to be a registered Republican.
    lol come join the independent party with me then lol theres plenty of room in here!!
  • Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,596 spicy boy
    "The Muslims also would build it on top of the former site, not two blocks away from it."

late but....if they could build it on the world trade center site they would
    "The Muslims also would build it on top of the former site, not two blocks away from it."

late but....if they could build it on the world trade center site they would
    No. They wouldn't, because this has nothing to do with 9/11.
    i am independant, but because of my state, i tend to vote Republican. I would have voted for Hillary Clinton if she won the democratic nomination
  • Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,596 spicy boy
    i voted for nader
    i reluctantly voted for McCain..lesser of 2 evils....
  • NolaFree810NolaFree810 Posts: 36,796 moneytalker
    i reluctantly voted for McCain..lesser of 2 evils....
    me too, even though im an independent i always vote republican, shrugs