Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

What are you reading right now?

Comments

• KridesBrideBrittKridesBrideBritt Posts: 25,781 jayfacer
    i didnt know books were supposed to be taken objectively
    this is a fantasy series, take it for what it is and stop dissecting something that me and britt and clearly millions of others enjoy

god, youre such a debbie downer
    It is comments like this that make me understand Erik's side of things more. And I'd really not like to take Erik's side on anything, so that is a hard pill to swallow.

I believe you should actually educate yourself, and read books of more substance. When you actually start reading "grown-up" books, then perhaps you will understand my critique.

My only real comment was that the harry potter series is children books. Very predictable children books that follow an obvious formula. I never said they were bad, and in fact they are good for what they are. Most (if not all) children books are predictable and formula driven.

Educate yourself.
    Predicatable, yes. So what? It's the journey that is worth it. The writing got better as the books went along.

Also, I LOVE Catcher in the Rye
    kristianPhotobucketPhotobucket Trephination-Tuesday Nights/Wednesday Mornings...11pm-1am- http://wrsu.rutgers.edu/listen.html
  • ZmbieFlavrdCupcakesZmbieFlavrdCupcakes Posts: 32,259 jayfacer
    who says i dont read educational books?
    wake, youre making generalizations about someone from a series of books. FALSE generalizations at that.
    im just saying, predictable or not, we obviously love them and its grown into something so much more
    please dont try to bash me just because i dont read spr cereal books because thats just a waste of time
    i like what i like and its not like over analytical comments like your will change anything about my intrests or make me question them in the least bit
    imageimage
  • WakeOfAshesWakeOfAshes Posts: 21,665 destroyer of motherfuckers
    edited May 2011
    who says i dont read educational books? wake, youre making generalizations about someone from a series of books. FALSE generalizations at that. im just saying, predictable or not, we obviously love them and its grown into something so much more
    please dont try to bash me just because i dont read spr cereal books because thats just a waste of time
    i like what i like and its not like over analytical comments like your will change anything about my intrests or make me question them in the least bit
    Look... I think you often misunderstand what I am saying, even when I am not talking to you. Britt obviously understands exactly what I was saying. I was never claiming that the Potter books were bad, nor was I discouraging anyone from reading them. I was only surprised that Britt was, because she reads a lot of books that have more substance then the Potter books. When I questioned her on it, then she points out that I'm much older then her and she was the author's target demographic so it's special. A perfectly reasonable answer. I got what she was saying, and the conversation was pretty much done.

And then you want to jump in with "i didnt know books were supposed to be taken objectively. this is a fantasy series, take it for what it is and stop dissecting something..."- How can you not understand the difference between what you said and what she said? Her comment was a logical retort to something I said. her comment resulted in me understanding her side and agreeing with her. Your comment? Your comments was roughly translated as "I'm smarter then you and books are NOT supposed to be educational. fuck you and leave us alone". But maybe I misunderstood your origional fuck you to me.... so Lets dissect your comments a little further and you can explain yourself.

"i didnt know books were supposed to be taken objectively"

This statement can be taken two ways. The most obvious way is that this was sarcasm. That you disagree with my assertion that I'd like my science fiction books to have some objective substance to their stories and not be formula driven.

This statement could also be taken literal. You are so uneducated that you didnt realize you could have books that are awesome science fiction books, but actually have deeper meaning and profound thoughts below the story. Books like "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" or "Atlas Shrugged" just don't exist because the only series you've ever read is potter.

"this is a fantasy series, take it for what it is and stop dissecting something"

This statement very clearly doesnt seem to be sarcastic. You are basically just telling me that I am not entitled to have an opinion about books. That I shouldnt look for deeper meanings in the literature I read.

So did I basically understand you correctly? You don't want me to make generalizations about you? then stop telling people what they must think or believe. Stop telling ME that I can think or form opinions. I can. It is my right.

I never said anything negative about this series. If you had make the same comment that you were going to reread the series, I would have said NOTHING to you. I would have thought, "That isnt surprising".

tl;dr;dc
    Exactly. No reason to educate yourself on anything when you can live in denial and ignorance.
  • GULCH_OF_ROTGULCH_OF_ROT Posts: 5,795 salt miner
    ENDERS GAME IS ABOUT THE BOY SUPER GENIUS THAT WORKS FOR THE SPACE MARINES RIGHT?
    ENDERS GAME IS ABOUT THE BOY SUPER GENIUS THAT WORKS FOR THE SPACE MARINES RIGHT?
    I've never read it. Don't really know anything about it other then it won Nebula Award and Hugo Award back in the mid 80's.

It is next on my list of books to read... But I also want to read that history book Jay mentioned last week.
    I've never read it. Don't really know anything about it other then it won Nebula Award and Hugo Award back in the mid 80's.

It is next on my list of books to read... But I also want to read that history book Jay mentioned last week.
    PRETTY SURE ITS ABOUT A BOY GENIUS IN THE SPACE MARINES
    I STARTED READING IT BACK IN THE EARLY 90'S
    BUT THEN STOPPED TO READ RL SALVADORES THE DARK ELF TRILOGY AND NEVER GOT BACK TO IT
    alright, fine
    lets read this novel

obviously you didnt read or didnt seem to care that i said that I DO READ OTHER GENRES OF BOOKS so why would i say they absolutley cant be educational? you were veryVERY misunderstood in that part
    yup, first was sarcastic, you get a gold star (*)
    you can look for deeper meanings all you want but the ones YOURE looking for in the potter series, you wont find
    i actually wrote a paper about the series and the underlying themes so dont tell me that potter is 'what you see is what you get' kind of series so maybe youd like to......educate yourself
    your comments were belittling me because i like a certain book series that isnt educational
    really? find another way to try to criticize me
    imageimage
    READ "SHATTERED LANDS"
    No clue. I was told to read it, so I shall pick it up soon.

Also kind of want to restart the Dune series. I've only read the Dune and half of Dune Messiah. I'd like to restart the Crown of Stars series too.
    kristianPhotobucketPhotobucket Trephination-Tuesday Nights/Wednesday Mornings...11pm-1am- http://wrsu.rutgers.edu/listen.html

Also kind of want to restart the Dune series. I've only read the Dune and half of Dune Messiah. I'd like to restart the Crown of Stars series too.
    HAVE YOU READ "THE WHEEL OF TIME" YET?
  • RAZORRAZOR Posts: 7,664 jayfacer
    edited May 2011
    I really need to start reading. :-?
    imageimage
    Wheel of Time? No. What genre is it/what is it about (without spoilers)?
    THE Prism Pentad SERIES BY Troy Denning IS FUCKING AWESOME
    Reading is fun and can bring you to other worlds.
    Jesus Christ. You contradicted yourself so I don't even know how to respond.

Obviously there is no deeper meaning or substance in the Potter series. It is a children's fantasy series that was targeted to 10 year olds. I was never looking for anything of substance when I read the potter series. The Potter series was very successful for its target demographic (10 year olds), and I have no problems with the series for what it is. I wouldnt recommend it for adults, but I understand the appeal towards children. It obviously doesn't offer anything of substance because children would have difficultly relating to adult themes.
    Wheel of Time? No. What genre is it/what is it about (without spoilers)?
    THE WHEEL OF TIME IS A 13 BOOK EPIC FANTASY WRITTEN BY ROBERT JORDAN

ITS LIKE HARRY POTTER BUT FOR ADULTS AND LIKE TEN THOUSAND TIMES BETTER

LOL. funny. Last night I downloaded and installed Nola's Women book he recommended... as well as "Ender's Game" and the whole Dune saga! ha. I almost feel like you are watching what I am doing online :)

Would you like me to send you the epub versions of these books?

• RAZORRAZOR Posts: 7,664 jayfacer
    Reading is fun and can bring you to other worlds.

but I have too much time on my hands, I feel lazy not doing anything constructive with it. TO THE THRIFT STORE FOR CHEAP USED BOOKS!
    imageimage