Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

What are you reading right now?

Comments

• WakeOfAshesWakeOfAshes Posts: 21,665 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Really really really wanted to read "Enders Game" because I never have... However due to Nola's rec I am currently reading

• KridesBrideBrittKridesBrideBritt Posts: 25,781 jayfacer
    Don't laugh because I'm not a fast reader, but finally finished

What a sweet ending! fucking loved the trial. that part was very well written and made me wish I was in the audience for the real thing.
    Haven't even started it yet....so I'm not going to laugh.
    kristianPhotobucketPhotobucket Trephination-Tuesday Nights/Wednesday Mornings...11pm-1am- http://wrsu.rutgers.edu/listen.html
    Can't wait to have a discussion with you about the trial. :) It's very good.
    Can't wait to have a discussion with you about the trial. :) It's very good.
    Probably not going to be for a bit. Got a few books higher on my list (not many though).
    kristianPhotobucketPhotobucket Trephination-Tuesday Nights/Wednesday Mornings...11pm-1am- http://wrsu.rutgers.edu/listen.html
    im in no hurry. :)
    :-bd Good...because summer just started. Going to try yo reread The Hobbit, LOTR, and all 7 Harry Potter books, along with rereading the first 2 Millennium books and starting the 3rd, as well as finishing Game of Thrones and maybe picking up the next book for that and read The Hunger Games and Ender's Game.
  • GULCH_OF_ROTGULCH_OF_ROT Posts: 5,795 salt miner
    Everything's Eventual - Stephen King

fucking bad ass
    edited May 2011
    :-bd Good...because summer just started. Going to try yo reread The Hobbit, LOTR, and all 7 Harry Potter books, along with rereading the first 2 Millennium books and starting the 3rd, as well as finishing Game of Thrones and maybe picking up the next book for that and read The Hunger Games and Ender's Game.
    Ender's Game you say? :-D and how exactly did you get tipped off on that book? I don't know much about it other then I apparently should have read it a long time ago because it gives some nerds a raging boner. haha.

I am shocked though that you are going to go back through old books before reading new stuff. LOTR is good and all, but there are so many other great books. And the Potter books suck, lets be honest. I read them all and they are so predictable and follow such a suffocating formula that I cant imagine why you'd waste your time again.

My wife just picked up the hunger games and is telling me I should read them too. maybe.

Instead of LOTR, you should be reading Atlas Shrugged!!!
    Hah! My friend Susan recommended Ender's Game to me like a month ago. I'm rereading LOTR because I want to pick a saying from there to go along with my next tattoo. And I love Harry Potter, so you're not going to sway me away from them. I'll put Atlas Shrugged on my list.
    Potter is great from the standpoint of getting children excited about si-fi and magic. I'm only saying that from a writing perspective, it is very predictable formula and it has a very young target age group. You don't disagree with that statement do you? For what it is meant to be, it was obviously very successful. And really I have no problems with shallow predictable books that get kids excited about reading. I think they are great actually. Kinda like "gateway books" to bigger and better books. I'm just surprised that you would reread that series is all.
  • ZmbieFlavrdCupcakesZmbieFlavrdCupcakes Posts: 32,259 jayfacer
    i love that series so much
    imageimage
    i love that series so much
    potter?
    Potter is great from the standpoint of getting children excited about si-fi and magic. I'm only saying that from a writing perspective, it is very predictable formula and it has a very young target age group. You don't disagree with that statement do you? For what it is meant to be, it was obviously very successful. And really I have no problems with shallow predictable books that get kids excited about reading. I think they are great actually. Kinda like "gateway books" to bigger and better books. I'm just surprised that you would reread that series is all.
    When it began, I was was the target age, so I grew up with it. Bianca can agree.
    edited May 2011
    When it began, I was was the target age, so I grew up with it. Bianca can agree.
    that makes sense. I was well into college when I started hearing about this series. Probably out of college. I read them all, but recognized that I was well outside their target demographic.

Potter is probably the starwars of your generation. I'll always think fondly of starwars, even though if I take a step back and look at it objectively... Not really all that great of a series. for sure not the best ever like I thought growing up.
  • NolaFree810NolaFree810 Posts: 36,796 moneytalker
    wake, you started Women yet??? just to warn ya, its probably wayyyy different from any book youve ever read before lol
  • ZmbieFlavrdCupcakesZmbieFlavrdCupcakes Posts: 32,259 jayfacer
    i didnt know books were supposed to be taken objectively
    this is a fantasy series, take it for what it is and stop dissecting something that me and britt and clearly millions of others enjoy

god, youre such a debbie downer
    imageimage
    wake, you started Women yet??? just to warn ya, its probably wayyyy different from any book youve ever read before lol
    just the first two pages..... It reminds me of orwell a little or J. D. Salinger. Like Catcher in the Rye ish if you will. I liked the way it started out.

Seriously though, I'm a little embarrassed by the amount of time it takes me to read books. I'll probably be reading this book for the next month :">
    edited May 2011
    i didnt know books were supposed to be taken objectively
    this is a fantasy series, take it for what it is and stop dissecting something that me and britt and clearly millions of others enjoy

god, youre such a debbie downer
    It is comments like this that make me understand Erik's side of things more. And I'd really not like to take Erik's side on anything, so that is a hard pill to swallow.

I believe you should actually educate yourself, and read books of more substance. When you actually start reading "grown-up" books, then perhaps you will understand my critique.

My only real comment was that the harry potter series is children books. Very predictable children books that follow an obvious formula. I never said they were bad, and in fact they are good for what they are. Most (if not all) children books are predictable and formula driven.

Educate yourself.
  • RAZORRAZOR Posts: 7,664 jayfacer
    I never got into Harry Potter. :-S
    imageimage