Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

What are you reading right now?

Comments

• ZmbieFlavrdCupcakesZmbieFlavrdCupcakes Posts: 32,259 jayfacer
    ...but there is something profound...
    imageimage
  • WakeOfAshesWakeOfAshes Posts: 21,665 destroyer of motherfuckers
    you could find something profound in Tom and Jerry.
  • NolaFree810NolaFree810 Posts: 36,796 moneytalker
    tom and jerry > harry potter
    you could find something profound in Tom and Jerry.
    dont deny something thats there
    imageimage
    No nola... you don't get it. Harry Potter is so deep and profound. It's just the type of book that changes your life and inspires you to be a better person.
  • NolaFree810NolaFree810 Posts: 36,796 moneytalker
    yah but tom and jerry are spr funny :-bd
    so you say someone could find something profound but then say no theres absolutley nothing..
    imageimage
    so you say someone could find something profound but then say no theres absolutley nothing..
    it's called sarcasm. Potter offers nothing profound. It's a childrens book.

but it does...
    imageimage
    but it does...
    this comment does nothing to prove your case.

• KridesBrideBrittKridesBrideBritt Posts: 25,781 jayfacer
    My county college was offering a course in the underlying importance of education in Harry Potter. I wanted to take it, but unfortunately, it conflicted with a Dante lecture I had to attend for extra credit. Wake, unfortunately, you refuse to accept the magic (no pun intended--maybe) within Harry Potter. Books 4-7 are extremely dark and when read through adult eyes and the eyes of a literature major, are actually quite dark. Yes, it's just another retelling of the classic Good vs. Evil struggle, but that still doesn't belittle the fact that it has captured MILLIONS and made them pick up a book and read. If that is not profound, then kick me.

And thanks for the books. I shall download them tonight when I get back from Thor.
    kristianPhotobucketPhotobucket Trephination-Tuesday Nights/Wednesday Mornings...11pm-1am- http://wrsu.rutgers.edu/listen.html
  • drinkwine732drinkwine732 Posts: 20,418 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Harry Potter provided a service at one point that it sort of doesn't provide anymore. It used to be that book that got every kid from the ages of 6-10 wanting to read and as you got older, you just kept reading them to finish the story. Now, the first generation of Harry Potter readers are all approaching their 20's, the only ones reading them are for nostalgia and closure purposes.
    My Top Albumsidrinkwine732's Profile Page
    but that still doesn't belittle the fact that it has captured MILLIONS and made them pick up a book and read. If that is not profound, then kick me.
    I don't dispute this at all, and even stated above that Harry Potter had immense value for this very reason. I guess you could say the results of the phenomena of Potter had a profound impact on the children who grew up on it, but I'd hardly say that entitles the book to being regarded as profound in nature of its words.

I'm not even saying it is a bad book. It was a great book for a kids book. I can't think of many better children books honestly. The Inheritance Cycle is pretty good and on the Harry Potter level from a literature perspective. But the phenomena of Potter does speak for itself.

And thanks for the books. I shall download them tonight when I get back from Thor.
    NP. glad to help.
    Harry Potter provided a service at one point that it sort of doesn't provide anymore. It used to be that book that got every kid from the ages of 6-10 wanting to read and as you got older, you just kept reading them to finish the story. Now, the first generation of Harry Potter readers are all approaching their 20's, the only ones reading them are for nostalgia and closure purposes.
    true.
    but that still doesn't belittle the fact that it has captured MILLIONS and made them pick up a book and read. If that is not profound, then kick me.
    I don't dispute this at all, and even stated above that Harry Potter had immense value for this very reason. I guess you could say the results of the phenomena of Potter had a profound impact on the children who grew up on it, but I'd hardly say that entitles the book to being regarded as profound in nature of its words.

I'm not even saying it is a bad book. It was a great book for a kids book. I can't think of many better children books honestly. The Inheritance Cycle is pretty good and on the Harry Potter level from a literature perspective. But the phenomena of Potter does speak for itself.
    I love the Inheritance Cycle. I can't wait for the 4th book!

Anyway, there are many themes in Harry Potter that can be extracted and discussed, but you have to search a bit for them. While yes, I am technically rereading them for nostalgic purposes, still doesn't change the fact that I have a desire to study them through a writer's perspective, as well as a literature perspective. I know that not every Potterhead is like me, but still.
    kristianPhotobucketPhotobucket Trephination-Tuesday Nights/Wednesday Mornings...11pm-1am- http://wrsu.rutgers.edu/listen.html

I have almost given up hope. :-((

He never releases any new information on the status. I'm afraid he has lost interest.

It amazes me how old he was when he wrote that first book. Wish I was that talented.

I have almost given up hope. :-((

He never releases any new information on the status. I'm afraid he has lost interest.

It amazes me how old he was when he wrote that first book. Wish I was that talented.
    It's coming out in November I think.
    WHoa. what? November? running to google
    YEEEESSS!!!!! >:D< \:D/ there is a God! my prayers have been answered.

Yes, Nov 8th.