Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The healthcare reform debate thread

Comments

• Magson13Magson13 Posts: 1,584 just the tip
    "addiction is their own problem"
    Absolutely. They shouldn't have started drugs/alcohol abuse in the first place.
    "Hard to do that when you don't have a home."
    There are government agencies that will help you get a job. And they should have applied when they had a place to live, and not wait until they're homeless. Laziness is their own problem.
  • drinkwine732drinkwine732 Posts: 20,418 destroyer of motherfuckers
    I don't condone their addiction, if that's what you took from what I said, I apologize. But I don't want to fuck up someone's life just because someone in their past made a bad decision.
    My Top Albumsidrinkwine732's Profile Page
  • Shanez_WifeShanez_Wife Posts: 2,008 just the tip
    Live in a car or a shelter for a few weeks, I had to in order to get set into my own place. Times may be hard but when people say "I will never work at a McDonalds" while they are on welfare and their kids are starving, they deserve to have those kids be put in foster homes and be living in Alaska homeless.
    You get $10,000 for living in Alaska in the first place...

"Hard to do that when you don't have a home."
    There are government agencies that will help you get a job. And they should have applied when they had a place to live, and not wait until they're homeless. Laziness is their own problem."

If you support money being spent to help people get a job, get up on their feet, what about helping them get health care is an issue for you?

"Live in a car or a shelter for a few weeks, I had to in order to get set into my own place. Times may be hard but when people say "I will never work at a McDonalds" while they are on welfare and their kids are starving, they deserve to have those kids be put in foster homes and be living in Alaska homeless. "

If you don't mind, could you please explain to me what you did? Were you employed at the time? What is your education level?
  • MikeMike Posts: 7,820 admin
    Who said every homeless person is a drug addict?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    I ahte when people say they will never work fast food. I always laugh at them, and then go buy something.
    "If you support money being spent to help people get a job, get up on their feet, what about helping them get health care is an issue for you?"
    I do not support it, at all. It is, however, available, which was my point.
  • SantanaSantana Posts: 16,743 juggalo
    Not every homeless person is a drug addict but a lot are
    my church is mainly homeless people and over half are homeless because of drugs or mental disabilities
  • ZmbieFlavrdCupcakesZmbieFlavrdCupcakes Posts: 32,259 jayfacer
    i feel terrible for homeless people but they obv did something to get that way
    why spend so much at the working people expense to help people who already had their chance?
    there are always new generations that need legit jobs and cant get it
    im lucky to have my parents pay for my college education but for most students its not easy.
    people i know are struggling to get jobs when their trying to pay college tuition and other bills
    imageimage
    I'm having a difficulty trying to explain what I mean without the essence of your argument being, GET MONEY.

It's not difficult to understand that some people are genuine. Not everyone is a liar, not everyone is a freeloader, and it's not as simple as just getting a job or a place.
  • That_Guy_ArloThat_Guy_Arlo Posts: 14,026 master of ceremonies
    I'm fully with Shane on this one, this is a very good thing for the country. Those opposed to it are ignorant, sorry, there really isn't another way to explain it. Magson is showing his true side by supporting the denial of those with pre-existing conditions and saying that the homeless fail at life is just immature.

Bianca, I'm sorry, but you seem to be very gullible after inferring that you believe in some of these conspiracies out there. They are just not true, period.

I really don't understand what the big scare is, the United States is one of the last industrialized nations without national run health care. I don't think Canada or Britain are falling apart at the moment due to their horrible (sarcasm) health care systems. Why should we buy in to these right wing scare tactics?
    Ok a kinda short run down. I came from an abusive home (boohoo). I moved out under age of 18, started w/ 2 jobs while studying my GED. Basically would sleep in my car and shower at a truck stop. Saved up enough cash to get my place. Once I had my own place, I never once took it for granted and always helped friends if they ever got kicked out. I'm not a druggy, not an alcoholic, don't havea gambling addiction. I dropped out of HS w/ Straight As. I had the choice of run free or ruin my life w/ the situation I was in. Now at least I have room to help people so they don't have to worry about being in unsafe homes or sleeping in a car.
    If they graduated high school, they were obviously capable of applying for a job when they were 18. If they didn't do that, then that's their own problem, not mine.
    Arlo: The US isn't creating a healthcare system that is similar to Canada, ect. Those countries have hospitals and doctors that are run just like the Police and Fire Department are here. What the US is implementing, is a national health insurance policy.

The pre-existing conditions is taking advantage of the system. If you don't have health insurance, then develop a condition, it's your own fault for not having health insurance in the first place. People make decisions in life, and if one of those decisions is to not have health insurance, then that's their choice. But to not be denied due to pre-existing conditions makes peoples' choices in life not have consequences, and that is bullshit.

The homeless have failed at life. They had the option to get a job, but they didn't. There are also government run organizations to help them, but they are STILL homeless. All of their problems in life have come from their own decisions, and they made the wrong ones. Now, they are the suffering the consequences of their decisions, which is the way it should be.
    "If they graduated high school, they were obviously capable of applying for a job when they were 18. If they didn't do that, then that's their own problem, not mine."

I don't think there's much more I can say to help you understand my position. I just would like to hope that someday you understand.

"Ok a kinda short run down. I came from an abusive home (boohoo). I moved out under age of 18, started w/ 2 jobs while studying my GED. Basically would sleep in my car and shower at a truck stop. Saved up enough cash to get my place. Once I had my own place, I never once took it for granted and always helped friends if they ever got kicked out. I'm not a druggy, not an alcoholic, don't havea gambling addiction. I dropped out of HS w/ Straight As. I had the choice of run free or ruin my life w/ the situation I was in. Now at least I have room to help people so they don't have to worry about being in unsafe homes or sleeping in a car."

Thanks for sharing, but also, how did you apply for those jobs without an address, zip code, phone number (maybe you had a cell phone, I don't know when this happened)?
    "I don't think there's much more I can say to help you understand my position. I just would like to hope that someday you understand."
    Give me an example of how it is not their fault they are homeless.
    "If you don't have health insurance, then develop a condition, it's your own fault for not having health insurance in the first place."

If I got cancer, is it my fault? It is sometimes considered a pre-existing condition.
    I think it should go upon income, like 10-15% of ones income is the cost of health insurance. So if you make $400 a week, thats $40 a week and about $160 a month to have something that benefits you for the rest of your life.
  • mrAPEmrAPE Posts: 39,476 moneytalker
    Everyone is going to share different opinions on this. No one is going to sway any person to one side or the other that is set in their ways. The bill is signed and about ready to be applied. We will just have to see what happens at this point.
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!