Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The MCU/DC Discussion and Spoiler Thread

Comments

• Options
    MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,551 spicy boy
    Which fat female Spider-Man was your favorite? 
    The one with the thick thighs

Which poorly made latex monster added more storytelling depth to your weeb show? Was it this one? 

Thats poorly made to you? The costume design and special effects are amazing in Sentai, at least that era.

Do You Like Hurting Other People?
  • Options
    EpisodeMnHEpisodeMnH Posts: 4,606 jayfacer
    Holy fuck. 🤣🤣
  • Options
    FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,408 spicy boy
    Spider-Verse fans when a new action figure non-character appears

MC when any franchise ever stays stuck in the 80s and refuses to change, move forward, or do any better:

Just throwing non-characters on the screen, and creating no stakes multiverse nostalgia bait plots isnt "moving forward" 
    MC's definition of moving forward: "Just fight a villain"

A+ input man. Really great and in depth analysis 
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Spider-Verse fans when a new action figure non-character appears

MC when any franchise ever stays stuck in the 80s and refuses to change, move forward, or do any better:

Just throwing non-characters on the screen, and creating no stakes multiverse nostalgia bait plots isnt "moving forward" 
    MC's definition of moving forward: "Just fight a villain"

A+ input man. Really great and in depth analysis 
    Characters being actual characters with real lore, history, stories, and continuity > non-character action figure stand ins and blank slate archetypes with no consequences, no lore, no continuity, just feeding the nostalgia easter egg seal clap ad naseum
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    And for the record, I didn't hate the movie. There was a lot I actually did like. I just wish "Spider-Man" wasn't reduced to nothing more than a generic archetype, and Peter wasn't belittled to an insignificant default. 

Like Peter, Miles, Ben, Kane, and Miguel are real characters with history, and lore. Everyone else is either a glorified "what-if" that should have been a one-and-done (like Spider-Gwen), or a "GI Joe" variant (fat Spider-Man, Cat Spider-Man, Dinosaur Spider-Man, disabled Spider-Man, Punk Spider-Man, etc, etc). 
  • Options
    Dime2Dime2 Posts: 2,690 jayfacer
    Punk Spidey was fucking hysterical and Indian Spider-Man was awesome. Miguel was bad ass everyone ruled. 
  • Options
    Punk Spider-Man was literally a crowd favorite and had a pretty significant amount of screen time. What the actual fuck are you talking about. 😐
  • Options
    Punk Spider-Man was literally a crowd favorite and had a pretty significant amount of screen time. What the actual fuck are you talking about. 😐
    He was literally created for Spider-Verse comics. He's also Hobie Brown... the original Prowler. He's literally "what if The Prowler was Spider-Man". Literally just created to sell comics for an event. That's my point. 

If you prefer archetypes over characters, you do you though. That's the way the Marvel has been for over a decade now, so enjoy. 

• Options
    Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,466 spicy boy
    edited June 2023
    Love the mc hate
  • Options
    Dime2Dime2 Posts: 2,690 jayfacer
    I don’t give a fuck what he was intended to be or what event he was created for, in the film and he character fits with everything going on, had a unique personality and was hilarious. Spider Gwen is also great in these, funny how you bitch about Miles family thing not getting enough light while Gwen’s family stuff, imo, was the emotional high point of this movie. It was executed perfectly
  • Options
    Dime2 said:
    I don’t give a fuck what he was intended to be or what event he was created for, in the film and he character fits with everything going on, had a unique personality and was hilarious. Spider Gwen is also great in these, funny how you bitch about Miles family thing not getting enough light while Gwen’s family stuff, imo, was the emotional high point of this movie. It was executed perfectly
    I wasnt as invested or interested in her 
  • Options
    MetalCoresades said:

Characters being actual characters with real lore, history, stories, and continuity >
    My mans just used 4 words that are all synonyms with each other and thought we wouldn't notice
  • Options
    MetalCoresades said:

Characters being actual characters with real lore, history, stories, and continuity >
    My mans just used 4 words that are all synonyms with each other and thought we wouldn't notice
    None of those are synonyms :|

They're all things that contribute to good story telling and characterization though
  • Options
    Please, explain to me the difference between Spider-Man lore, and Spider-Man history, and Spider-Man continuity, and previous Spider-Man stories. You're using them all in the same fucking context =))

And no, I'd argue that they have fuck all to do with good story telling. The first Spider-Verse, which you claim as the best Spidey movie ever, maintains very little continuity with the comics. 

Some movies you have raved about in the past like Infinity War and Venom completely disregard lore. You love Batman Ninja or whatever that terrible shit is called which has almost nothing to do with any form of Batman lore or history.

So why is it OK sometimes for comic movies to break continuity or deviate from the lore but not other times? 
  • Options
    Lore is the in universe background and rules establishing where the story takes place
    History, like history of the character in terms of publication, but also character history in universe. History could be a part of lore, but not necesarily always the same. 
    Continuity in the sense of cohesive narrative and how it all ties together both within the story and other stories throughout a long history of releases

The first Spider-Verse did a very good job with these things. It put the characters in new situations, but the characters acted like the characters. Outside of Peter and Ben, I actually dont have an issue in that department in the new movie either

My least favorite parts in all of the MCU is how they deviate from the comics. I dont like GOTG 2 very much because of how different they are. I hate MCU Spidey. Infinity War would have been even better if Death was there like in the comics. Venom was good considering the rights issues, but really does suffer immensely from lack of Spider-Man. 

Something like Batman Ninja takes established characters and puts them in new situations. Sure its wacky, but the characters actually act like the characters. And they didnt need to invent new ones for the story. And the characters arent treated like archetypes. Even Robin, the closest things to archetype characters, have taken on new identies (Nightwing, Red Hood, Red Robin, etc) to help maintain that they're actually characters. 

My least favorite things in comics are time travel, multiverses, and mantle passing. I think those things kill continuity, and genuinely harm characterization by reducing it down to archetype titles. I just dont like them. Which is purely subjective, I get it, but I dont like those tropes. And I think just throwing a thousand nameless Spider-Mans into the story, or inventing some random Spider-Mans with singular traits takes away from the character of "Spider-Man", and especially takes away from Peter as a character. I mean there was literally a line in the new movie when 2099 was talking to Peter like "no, I have enough Peters". Like Peter isnt THE Spider-Man, just a generic nucance taking up space for all these other new Spider-Mans. 

Thats just my take on it. 

I wouldnt say the new movie is bad. I'm going to watch the third one. I think Miles is awesome. Im just over multiverses in general, and think Spider-Verse is the peak of why they annoy me so much. 
  • Options
    And also, with my ranking, I genuinely like Spider-Man 3, and both The Amazing Spider-Man movies. So putting Across The Spider-Verse in their general vicinity isnt a huge slight. I liked it, I didnt love it. 
  • Options
    Something like Batman Ninja takes established characters and puts them in new situations. Sure its wacky, but the characters actually act like the characters. And they didnt need to invent new ones for the story. And the characters arent treated like archetypes. Even Robin, the closest things to archetype characters, have taken on new identies (Nightwing, Red Hood, Red Robin, etc) to help maintain that they're actually characters. 
    Putting established characters in lore breaking, non continuity but new situations sounds pretty close to using an archetype of a character in a new story. That's like the definition of what comic books do. When they made the Harry Potter movies, there was one version of Harry to base it off of. . There was one version of Frodo. There are literally dozens, if hundreds of versions of Peter Parker. 

The multiple Spider-Men in Spider-Verse are just a meta commentary on the classic Peter Parker story that we the audience has seen done a hundred times in Spider-Man movies, cartoons, comics, etc. Bit by a spider, uncle Ben dies, etc. You have to remember that for the general movie going audience the first Spider-Verse movie was their first introduction to Miles. They're using the multiverse stuff to differentiate Miles from the Peter Parker story. To ignore all of that because you don't like that they made a fat Spider-Man is just crazy to me. 
  • Options
    MarcTheFallenMarcTheFallen Posts: 26,633 master of ceremonies
    Damn Flash was actually really good. 
  • Options
    Yea movie was fucking fire. Honestly might be my favorite out of that specific DCEU now that it’s officially rebooted. But unfortunately, as I said even before release, nothing really held any weight because Ezra Miller is definitely out, and even if he wasn’t, reset button was hit regardless. Jus dead in the water all around. Fire stand-alone movie tho and they did the character justice.
  • Options
    Also, Secret Invasion is fire as fuck so far.