Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

New Star Wars Thread *SPOILERS*

Comments

• MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,707 spicy boy
    lol @ Thrawn was just a general in an army though. 

He’s a Grand Admiral in the Imperial Navy you filthy casual. 
    My point is he's not some OP world ending character like Thanos that requires this massive team up story they're hinting at. 
    You mean like how it took Luke, Leah, Han, and the new republic army to defeat him in the books? Ahsoka, Mando, and some tie fighter pilots is not some "massive team up" its not like they're going to fist fight him. But a group is definitely going to be required to defeat Thrawn and his army. 

Thrawn isn't a general, he's THE general. The most dangerous tactician in the star wars universe ever. Like almost unbeatable when it comes to strategy and ship warfare. He once defeated an entire fleet with 3 ships. He uses your species culture, art, and customs to find weaknesses in your beliefs and tendencies. He's honestly the best villain in all of star wars. 

So do you want Ahsoka joining Luke or not? I agree with your statement here... so again, why would Luke, Han, and Leia not be a part of that? 

Going back to my original comment that started this whole argument. 
    Do You Like Hurting Other People?
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    Ideally yes, it would be cool to have Luke, Leah, and Han vs Thrawn in live action. But how the hell would they do that? The OG actors are either dead or old. Sure they got away with a cameo with Mark. But i can't see them doing it for a whole show. Who would play Leah? Who would play Han? The Solo movie guy?

That, coupled with the fact that I really do want to see Ahsoka, Ezra, and Sabine face off against Thrawn in live action, I'm not really concerned with involving Luke and the gang. 
  • Jobe_Wan_KenobiJobe_Wan_Kenobi Posts: 19,528 moneytalker
    No. 

Pass the god damn butter.
    edited January 2021
    The OG actors are either dead or old. Sure they got away with a cameo with Mark. But i can't see them doing it for a whole show. Who would play Leah? Who would play Han? The Solo movie guy?

This is a fair point. 

At some point I guess we'll have to accept they'll recast these characters. They're not going to keep them out of the shows forever. 

They already recast Han, I guess they could use somebody like Sebastian Stan as Luke. But you're right, it wouldn't feel right. 
    Still havent seen Solo. I should, because everyone who knows me says I would like it best of the Disney movies lol

But Im scared to. 
    There a good story in it but there’s lots of dumb shit also. 
    lol @ Thrawn was just a general in an army though. 

He’s a Grand Admiral in the Imperial Navy you filthy casual. 
    My point is he's not some OP world ending character like Thanos that requires this massive team up story they're hinting at. 
    You mean like how it took Luke, Leah, Han, and the new republic army to defeat him in the books? Ahsoka, Mando, and some tie fighter pilots is not some "massive team up" its not like they're going to fist fight him. But a group is definitely going to be required to defeat Thrawn and his army. 

Thrawn isn't a general, he's THE general. The most dangerous tactician in the star wars universe ever. Like almost unbeatable when it comes to strategy and ship warfare. He once defeated an entire fleet with 3 ships. He uses your species culture, art, and customs to find weaknesses in your beliefs and tendencies. He's honestly the best villain in all of star wars. 

So do you want Ahsoka joining Luke or not? I agree with your statement here... so again, why would Luke, Han, and Leia not be a part of that? 

Going back to my original comment that started this whole argument. 

Ahsoka should definitely NOT join Luke. Why would she? She already walked away from being a Jedi. There was a whole show about it. She has already seen where that path leads. Joining Luke to train new Jedi undoes all of her arc. If anything, she would be the one to warn Luke about his school and bringing the Jedi back. Her warning about the hubris of the Jedi and how easy it was for them to lose their way and fall to the dark side could be the seed that started Luke to turn against Kylo. The further away they stay from Luke and his school the better off we will be IMO. That whole tried-to-kill-my-nephew plot is just dumb af anyway. 
    Im ignoring the sequel trilogy. I dont even think Disney is going to be working towards setting that up anymore. They're supposedly replacing those characters at Galaxy's Edge with Mandalorian era characters, Ahsoka, and Luke/Leia/Han, etc. So I think they'll kind of be soft rebooting the universe through the stories told in these shows. Im personally hoping to see a flourishing, positive, powerful, and successful Luke. 

The reason I thought Ahsoka would be a good character for this is because she's seen how the Jedi fell. They became arogant, blind, detatched, etc. She left the original order because there were policies, personalities, and like you said weaknesses in the original Jedi. That's valuable information to give Luke as he's building a new order. She can help him prevent another fall from ever happening. I know you dont care about Legends like I do, but Luke's order was vastly different than the one from the prequels. Him, and his Jedi, were far more grounded, they were engaged with their communities, they allowed attachment and marriage, they even utilized some dark side abilities. I think Ahsoka would support that, she didnt stop using her Jedi powers. She didnt cut herself off from the Force like Cere did in Fallen Order. She still is using her abilities and teachings for good. 

Which could provide another character arc for her. It isnt erasing her leaving the order. Its not ruining her development. Its taking it a step further towards a reclaimation. It isnt her accepting the Jedi again, and creating what they once were - its her using her new, current ideals, to morph the Jedi into something that works. This isnt the same Jedi Order that failed, its a new one shaped by Ahsoka and Luke's new world views that works this time. 

Plus I think seeing the discussion between Luke and Ahsoka about what thd Jedi are would be very interesting. It's implied they met in Mandalorian. And she didnt stop Grogu from joining Luke, she encouraged it. I know she didnt want to teach him then because she feared Grogu's attachment, but wouldnt that make a good character moment? If Luke is able to show her the Jedi can still be used for good?

I know you dont care about Legends like I do

Oh look MC is gatekeeping Star Wars again. Big shock. 

I bought these books decades ago when they first came out, but go on. I have dozens more of the books than you do but please tell me more about how YOU care about more about legends after reading ONE book. You’re so many trilogies behind me it’s hilarious but please, tell me about you being a true fan again. 
    edited January 2021

I know you dont care about Legends like I do

Oh look MC is gatekeeping Star Wars again. Big shock. 

I bought these books decades ago when they first came out, but go on. I have dozens more of the books than you do but please tell me more about how YOU care about more about legends after reading ONE book. You’re so many trilogies behind me it’s hilarious but please, tell me about you being a true fan again. 
    That wasnt meant as that. I mean you're more accepting of the Disney Canon and seemingly dont care that they decanonized or are changing things. You dont care about Legends as THE canon. At least thats how you come off. You never have anything negative to say about anything 

Also, I havent only ready one book. I read one RECENTLY. I grew up reading the books, and watching the microseries. And Ive played most of the games. 
    Regardless, I'll accept your view point. Stupid idea on my part. My bad. 
    There is nothing to accept. It is what it is. If my nerd tears somehow powered a time machine capable of going back and and making the Sequel Trilogy better then I would be all about it but that’s not the case. You’ve been bitter about Star Wars ever since they rebooted the clone wars from the 2003 movie and where has it gotten you? At the end of the day it’s a series meant to give 12 year olds a sense of joy, wonder, and possibility. You’ve lost all of that in your nerd rage anger. You hate everything you don’t agree with and it makes you miserable. You actively dig for more reason to hate things. You’re the toxic part of the fandom. Luke would be sad for you. You’ve basically fallen to the dark side. 
    Yeah, idk where you think this blind fandom thing came from. We talked about how Solo was meh. We talked about how the Sequels sucked.

I told my girl after rise of skywalker that i was probably done with star wars going forward. I think when Endgame came out i said something in the mcu thread to the tune of "fuck star wars, this is the hypest I've been for a movie ever"

But then I watched Mandalorian. And then clone wars. And then rebels. And then clone wars season 7. Then I read some or the new canon books. Then the new Darth Vader comic. Then Mando season 2. And i realized i dont have to like everything and the sequels sucking doesn't make those other things suck too. Appreciate the good, disregard the bad and move on. Life's too short to spend time and energy hating things. 
    Its like DC. You liked Aquaman and Justice League. I thought they were meh or bad. But i don't give you shit saying DC sucks and doesn't know how to make a coherent universe or 2 good movies in a row in paragraphs of doom. I say they're meh and move on. And when they release something i like, i talk about it. 
    I understand what your saying. I just miss how the franchise used to make me feel. I could have picked up literally anything Star Wars back in the day, and probably liked most of it. But now I dont feel the same way. I need to really search now, and its frustrating to me. I can always go back and discover or rediscover old stories that I enjoy, but nobody is talking about those. 

And its not just with Star Wars. Im having a hard time getting into a lot of the new additions to things I used to love and enjoy. Star Wars just hit the hardest for me. 
  • XenoXeno Posts: 21,031 master of ceremonies
    I've said it before when you've argued about other things and it applies here too: you're pissed at getting older, not at Star Wars.
  • XenoXeno Posts: 21,031 master of ceremonies
    And you're not alone in that, either. It's a common thread among a lot of nerd culture
    Xeno said:
    I've said it before when you've argued about other things and it applies here too: you're pissed at getting older, not at Star Wars.
    Its definitely a quality and accessibility thing too. 
    You can tell a lot of these creatives dont really care about the properties and are just trying to make quick money without putting in a lot of effort. That or they're so obsessed with political agendas that writing suffers for that too. 

That isnt just a Star Wars thing. Its nerd culture in general. Why I mainly play indie games now. I cant stand how dumbed down most AAA games are now. God of War being the biggest offender there. But I digress. 
    MC gate keeping again. 

You don’t like what they do so you assuming people making a thing don’t care about it. 

Only you do. 
    Also, books and stories have been pushing social issues for thousands of years now. It’s not exactly a new phenomenon.