Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

New Star Wars Thread *SPOILERS*

Comments

• MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,706 spicy boy
    Episode 1 completely sets up Episode 2
    Do You Like Hurting Other People?
  • Jobe_Wan_KenobiJobe_Wan_Kenobi Posts: 19,528 moneytalker
    Thank you Captain Obvious. 
    Also, 2 comes before 3.
    Pass the god damn butter.
    Im replying to Jay who said 1 is unimportant  

Its not. It sets up a lot of backstory 
    Depends on why you watch and what you like about SW. Phantom Menace is great for world building, lore, space politics etc. Crucial watching for Palatine fans. If you just want to follow Luke's journey then the machete order is for you. A chronological watch spoils the big OT reveals.
    It's part of what makes SW so great is that there is something for everyone, especially in the expanded universe. Military trilogies if that's what you like, thousands of years of Sith & Jedi lore if you like to explore that instead. Trilogies for different generations. 

People love SW for student reasons. Funny thing is that we all remember it differently as well. Some people were blown away by TPM. Others hated it. Some people only remember corny dialogue and bad cgi. Some people remember it shitting all over the OT. Some people remember the launch of TPM as one of the greatest cultural events of our time. The games and merchandise and expanded material are some of the purest memories of their childhood. SW really isn't an objective argument lol.
  • mrAPEmrAPE Posts: 39,476 moneytalker
    Not I, that was the first Star Wars I saw on my 12th birthday I think. And my mom took me to Kmart and I got a bunch of Star Wars stuff including a badass r2d2 puzz 3D. Thing was a bitch to put together though. I think we also had a class trip to the Zoo that day. 
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
  • mrAPEmrAPE Posts: 39,476 moneytalker
    I also played the shit out of pod racing on the 64 
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy

It really doesn't.
  • Dime2Dime2 Posts: 2,792 jayfacer
    Dime2 said:
    I guess it makes sense but then you lose out on how Anakin was found and why they chose to take him to training (albeit retarded medichlorian shit). Not to mention one of the best pieces of music in all Star Wars (Duel Of Fates), a sick light saber battle, how Obi-Wan wound up as his master and some pretty cool pod racing shit. It's worth Jar Jar. 
    Yeah, absolutely none of that is essential to the story lol, and I love me some Duel of the Fates. It hurts more than it helps.
     Yousa in deep doo doo dis time 

It really doesn't.
    It explains a lot actually... 
    Who Padme is. How Anakin met her. That Anakin was a slave. Who Watto and his mom are. That Anakin built 3P0. How Anakin became Obi-Wan's apprentice. Why Obi and Anakin's relationship are slightly tense considering it was Qui-Gon's idea, and that Obi became a reluctant teacher. It shows Palpatine when he was still weak and unassuming. 

Anakin's and Padme's relationship and Anakin's and Obi-Wan's relationship make a lot less sense without Episode 1. The Tusken scene has a lot less weight without 1. Hell even JarJar's appearence as a senator has less weight without 1. 
  • XenoXeno Posts: 21,031 master of ceremonies

>shitty backstory

I grew up with the prequels and 1 will always have nostalgic value for me but that movie is hot garbage. Everything that isn't Duel of the Fates is useless.
    Xeno said:

>shitty backstory

I grew up with the prequels and 1 will always have nostalgic value for me but that movie is hot garbage. Everything that isn't Duel of the Fates is useless.
    Podracing is dope too 
    1 is the worst of the prequels but its still

5, 4, 6, 3, 2, 1, 7, Rogue One, Solo, 8
  • Dime2Dime2 Posts: 2,792 jayfacer
    Pod Racing, Duel Of Fates, Lightsaber battle, Qui-Gon, Introduction Of Ewan McGregor as Young Obi-Wan. I'd say Phantom Menace has some good shit. At first I thought it was Nostalgia goggles but I do a I-VI rewatch like twice a year and I still enjoy it despite it's flaws. I wind up laughing at most of the dumb shit instead of being mad at it. 
    5 > 4 > 6 > 3 > Rogue One > 7 > 2 > Solo > 1 > 8
    MetalCoresades said:

It explains a lot actually... 
    Who Padme is. 
    Explained in Episode 2
    How Anakin met her. 

Not important to the story at all 

That Anakin was a slave. 

Explained in Episode 3

Who Watto and his mom are. 

Explained in Episode 3

That Anakin built 3P0. 

Could not be less important to the story 

How Anakin became Obi-Wan's apprentice. 

Not important to the story.

Why Obi and Anakin's relationship are slightly tense considering it was Qui-Gon's idea, and that Obi became a reluctant teacher

I will say of all the things you listed, missing Qui-Gon and his certainty that Anakin is the chosen one is the biggest reason to include Episode 1

Anakin's and Padme's relationship and Anakin's and Obi-Wan's relationship make a lot less sense without Episode 1.

How? Padme met Anakin when he was a literal child so if anything removing Episode 1 gets rid of that awkward fact. As far as Obi Wan what gets lost from Episode 1? They barely have a relationship in Episode 1.

Hell even JarJar's appearence as a senator has less weight without 1. 

Come on dawg. 

I do love me some Maul though.
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,722 mod
    edited November 2019
    I do love me some Maul though.
    He's also killed before the movie ends and then never mentioned or heard from again in the main story.

Qui-Gon gets brought up once or twice after 1 but nothing essential is missed cutting him out either. Everything is either resolved in Episode 1 before it ends or is re-introduced at the beginning of 2. The Palpatine is Darth Sidious twist is ruined in Episode 1 but he's barely shown in Episode 2 so it's more effective in 3 without 1. Jar Jar is barely seen from again after 1 and his story relevance is zilch.
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
    It was just a flesh wound!

It's always fun when he pops up somewhere in the extended universe.