Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What are you watching right now?

Comments

• Options
    EpisodeMnHEpisodeMnH Posts: 4,605 jayfacer
    Jus finished The Wire today. Idk how many of you have seen it. Great show but being that I always seen it considered the Breaking Bad before Breaking Bad, it definitely ain’t as consistent as Breaking Bad. For one, the seasons are all connected and ongoing, but they’re all so drastically different from each other that each season is damn near a separate series. Like Season 1 starts out in the hood wit the base group of dealers and establishes all that, then Season 2 takes a drastic left turn and puts them all in the background and instead focuses on a Greek cartel-like group that imports dope on boats. It was such a severe shift in focus that this season specifically feels like it doesn’t even belong in the series. What’s worse is these Greeks are completely forgotten about afterwards until some brief cameos in the very last season. It was a complete detour that made the flow and continuity very disjointed. 

Season 3 feels like the true season 2 and picks up right where season 1 left off, and returns to the core group that it was originally focused on. Season 3 is simultaneously the absolute best season and peak of the series, and individually one of the best seasons of television I ever seen, period. But peaking too early caused problems too because the way everything hits the fucking fan made it feel like the true final season, so everything after feels a lot more tame in comparison. 

Season 4 again shifts focus, and while it stays in the hood this time, they instead focus on the kids in the area and how they’re born/forced into this lifestyle of murder and drugs and how it’s a cycle. It’s a good season and I think it was necessary to show that trickle down effect, but this ebb and flow of character focus always causes an ebb and flow of investment, for me personally at least. 

Season 5 again goes back to the big boys and trying to take down the new kingpin, but the random ass detour they took to go about it definitely made it feel like the writers were running out of ideas and throwing shit at the wall, hoping it sticks. I see why it’s the lowest rated season. It wasn’t horrible, but the show definitely went out wit a whimper, especially considering how ridiculous Season 3 was. Like I said, that was the true climax for me, everything after jus felt like the aftermath of the ending.

Very solid ass show tho that aged well and wasn’t at all a hard watch. Granted it’s not ancient or anything, it ran from like 2002-2008, but still. There’s some movies from that same timeframe that are already rough to watch.

Snowfall up next, which coincidentally is considered the new Wire, and openly takes huge influence from it.
  • Options
    It literally wiped Game Of Thrones off the cultural zeitgeist it was so bad. Even most casuals were like "this sucks". Not even Star Wars, for how awful it is, has causals turning on it to such degrees. 
    Not really. People mighta been pissed for the moment, but look how much hype HOTD got. Soon as that universe returned, mfs were still lining up to suckle on the tip.
  • Options
    MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,548 spicy boy
    It literally wiped Game Of Thrones off the cultural zeitgeist it was so bad. Even most casuals were like "this sucks". Not even Star Wars, for how awful it is, has causals turning on it to such degrees. 
    Not really. People mighta been pissed for the moment, but look how much hype HOTD got. Soon as that universe returned, mfs were still lining up to suckle on the tip.
    Not nearly as much as once were. People like HOTD, but GoT is nowhere near the household name it once was. People arent discussing HOTD online like they were GOT for years
    Do You Like Hurting Other People?
  • Options
    XenoXeno Posts: 21,010 master of ceremonies
    But you're saying that happened because HOTD was bad lmao. That happened because GoT's last season was more universally hated than The Soprano's ending. If anything, HOTD has brought back in people that won't even rewatch GoT lmao

• Options
    Saying it isn't the same cultural phenomenon GoT was, is the definition of no-shit-sherlock. That show was a cultural sensation that's only been rivaled by Breaking Bad and The Sopranos
  • Options
    Xeno said:
    But you're saying that happened because HOTD was bad lmao. That happened because GoT's last season was more universally hated than The Soprano's ending. If anything, HOTD has brought back in people that won't even rewatch GoT lmao

I never said its because HOTD is bad. Im saying its because GOT ended so badly
  • Options
    Xeno said:

I never said its because HOTD is bad. Im saying its because GOT ended so badly
    Oh thought it was about HOTD because I only read erik's first and last paragraphs
  • Options
    Damn Todd is the king of kill yourself.
  • Options
    Idk wtf to watch once reservation dogs is done
  • Options
    Lemme put it in easy Iowa terms for you.

GOT good, not bad as ppl say.

Wire good.
  • Options
    People really out here acting like season 8 is atrocious as if season 5's "fuck em till they're dead" scene wasn't the most retarded episode of the entire show
  • Options
    Any of yall watching this The Boys spinoff “Gen V”? 

I’m almost caught up, so far I’m liking this jus as much as the base show, shit is fire. Crazy thing is this somehow flew completely under my radar. I didn’t even know they were doing a spinoff and then like 2 weeks ago, I had Prime on for Thursday Night Football and then Gen V started autoplaying right afterwards lmao I had to do a double take cause it starts off wit news footage of The Seven.

Tried to bump The Boys thread but I could not find that shit even thru search lmao.
  • Options
    Nah
  • Options
    Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,464 spicy boy
    hadn't even heard about it. 
  • Options
  • Options
    hadn't even heard about it. 
    It’s about a younger group of supes in a college made strictly for superpowers and basically they’re training and competing to try and make it into The Seven. But it’s all the same exact type of writing and humor so even tho it’s a different cast, if you like the base show, I see no reason you wouldn’t like this.
  • Options
    FLATFLAT Posts: 60,591 spicy boy
    Big Lebowski 
  • Options
    SATANSATAN Posts: 25,813 spicy boy
    Adventure Time
  • Options
    FLATFLAT Posts: 60,591 spicy boy
    New South Park =))))))