Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

official mayhem fest 2015 thread.

Comments

• SATANSATAN Posts: 25,824 spicy boy
    edited June 2014

I don't consider most of those bands metal. They just get lumped in because of themes and imagery. I think metal is thriving in a way that hasn't been seen in my lifetime. Just below the surface there are tons of interesting bands right now. When I was making my fake metal coachella a couple months back, I found myself running out of slots

Post edited by SATAN on

So...if they tossed out a warped-style tour with a couple mid-level bands like Mastodon and DEP as "headliners", have a little prog, a couple grind bands, some death, some black, some post-metal, maybe a little djent and post-hardcore in there for the high school kids and have 50 of em play...would you go?

• TravisTravis Posts: 4,971 balls deep

yes. and I agree with your definition of 'metal'....metal is a complex genre....and with music being so subjective by nature, it's impossible to prepare a perfect tour or lineup... for my 2 cents of a line up would be pretty wide ranging, but festivals are designed to make money as well as showcase new and up and coming bands... personally I think bands like Dopesmoker would be silly on a big commercial summer tour... By that token, I feel that shit like Adalita's Way would be stupid on a tour with Cannibal Corpse....

In my 25plus years of being a fan of metal, I have noticed that we want our cake and eat it too: We demand recognition and validity for our music and the bands we love; but we throw terms like false metal and sellout around like nothing when a band in our genre dares to get creative, or worse, puts out an album that we don't care for... 

• TravisTravis Posts: 4,971 balls deep

I have no problem with roping in all the casual rock/metal fans with big name headliner bands with radio appeal, like 99% of previous mayhem headliners...But I insist on packing the small stages with crushing, uncompromising metal, whether it's death, grind, prog, core, djent, black, thrash, neo-gothenburg, whatever... I want a smattering of it all on a summer festival....

• Jobe_Wan_KenobiJobe_Wan_Kenobi Posts: 19,526 moneytalker
    Doesnt help that half the bands that could headline a tour are just sitting around not doing shit. Tool SOAD Rage Disturbed Slipknot How about a real Guns n Roses? Even if you dont like these bands, they sell tickets. Half the bands that could headline just dont feel like it. Its frustrating.
    Pass the god damn butter.
  • Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,593 spicy boy

Lol tool doesn't need to headline a touring festival fuck that 

Just saying they could. But grapes dont grow themselves.

It would be disgusting 

Those bands don't have any incentive to tour. Ozzy had drugs to pay for

• FLATFLAT Posts: 60,664 spicy boy

fuck kill yourself Alice in chains >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy

Problem with SOAD, Tool, and RATM is that they are so inactive that when they so decide to tour they can sell out ampitheaters without the need for Mayhem Fest. 

In a way I kind of respect Slipknot for doing the first Mayhem with Disturbed. They could've done another arena tour like they had been doing the few years before that but the band specifically said they wanted to help jumpstart a new metal festival. 

I figured it was money

It just seems like very few other bands have an interest in doing just that. Instead, some of the biggest names seem content to sit back and watch shit start to fizzle out again. Fewer and fewer bands seem to be reaching g headline status to replace the old guard. Most headliners now cut their teeth at Ozzfest, but the newer festivals dont seem to be able to do the same thing. FFDP may be the only band to make it to that level post-Ozzfest that I can think of. We as fans need those bands back.

Most of FFDP were members of Motogrator which was an Ozzfest alum 

I think Jag said before that they got a big boost from being on Family Values too, so Mayhem can't claim them either

I wonder how tickets are selling for Mayhem this year :-?

even if your toured every year their fan base is powerful enough to see out arenas 

• MenAreTrashMenAreTrash Posts: 27,667 spicy boy
    SATAN said:

So...if they tossed out a warped-style tour with a couple mid-level bands like Mastodon and DEP as "headliners", have a little prog, a couple grind bands, some death, some black, some post-metal, maybe a little djent and post-hardcore in there for the high school kids and have 50 of em play...would you go?

This is actually a really interesting ideas. Most of the big metal festivals in europe have a lot of bands, regardless if it spans over a few days and it draws a lot of people. It'd be interesting to take something similar to that and take it on the road. lots of different metal bands from all genres. And it doesn't have to be really obscure bands like MDF. The only problem I can think of is that most of the bands would rather do their own summer US tour as opposed to a giant packaged tour where they're only playing 30 minutes a day. 

The package tours bring exposure though. It's cool to do your own thing, but in doing so you're usually preaching to your own choir 

• FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy

SATAN said:

I figured it was money

Slipknot was touring arenas and ampitheaters by themselves doe. Why jump on a festival?

How many bands really play warped in a day?