Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Comic books

Comments

• FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    Who fucking cares? The movie isnt going to be any worse for it. And it changes nothing about the character's personality
    You werent crying when they made Nick Fury or Heimdall black. 
  • MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,706 spicy boy
    edited August 2016
    LEGEND said:
    Who fucking cares? The movie isnt going to be any worse for it. And it changes nothing about the character's personality
    I know it doesnt matter to you, but I like seeing characters in film how they look in comic. Obviously how the character "acts", and as long as the personality is intact I wont hate it (see the post above about like Nick Fury (though it IS a different Nick Fury), and Kingpin. Even Will Smith as Deadshot). But it irks me a little as a purist. 

I hated that Shredder wasn't Asian in the first Bay TMNT movie, and that April isn't a redhead. And that Casey Jones doesnt have long hair. That Scarlet Johanson is in Ghost In The Shell instead of a Japanese actress. That the cast in Attack On Titan (though it was Japanese made, so I dont blame them) was Japanese instead of Germanic looking. That the actors for Death Note are going to be white and black instead of Japanese. I would have been pissed if someone like Baxter Stockman in TMNT, or Cyborg in Justice League wasn't portrayed as black. I hate that Aunt May isn't the 60+ year old, old woman from the comics.

I just like seeing characters in movies as they are in their source material. That includes physically.

Obviously the acting as the characters, and the most iconic physical traits are the most important. As long as this new M.J. acts like M.J. and has red hair, I won't really care beyond right now. 
    Do You Like Hurting Other People?
    Also, like I said, its the pandering behind the scenes that really bothers me more than the changes themselves. 
    A lot of those examples change parts of the character though. Why is Shredder an American businessman and not from Asia? Doesnt makecsense. In Attack On Titan, Mikasa being the sole asian is of significance to the story. Having an all asian cast contradicts that.

But changing the color of Mary Jane's skin changes nothing man. Now if they have her talking ebonics and shit, thats a different story. 
    LEGEND said:
    A lot of those examples change parts of the character though. Why is Shredder an American businessman and not from Asia? Doesnt makecsense. In Attack On Titan, Mikasa being the sole asian is of significance to the story. Having an all asian cast contradicts that.

But changing the color of Mary Jane's skin changes nothing man. Now if they have her talking ebonics and shit, thats a different story. 
    Like I said, if Mary Jane acts like Mary Jane, and has red hair, I won't be complaining when the movie comes out. 

I just dont like that the reason these changes are made are agenda driven in the first place. Thats all. 

But you're right, it doesnt really matter if the characterization is accurate. 
    Other sources are saying this report is false. That she is playing the love interest, but not MJ. Some actress thats in the movie retweeted this info so it might be correct
    Also, like I said, its the pandering behind the scenes that really bothers me more than the changes themselves. 
    For the record, i get it man. That girl in the fb pic you posted is pretty retarded. And its crazy to think that people out there exist.
    I get caught up in the "culture wars" as everyone else. I mean here is a prime example of jumping on it. Getting irate at a rumored change, just because the character isn't how I envision the character. 

Its irrational on my part as well. I just hate that its come to this. I feel geekdom under attack and pressure at all times right now, and its starting to crack under that pressure. We're seeing it more and more, and people are making a bigger and bigger deal out of it. Nobody gave two shits when Kingpin was cast black, Nick Fury was cast black, or Two Face was cast black... But everyone has an opinion on M.J., or that chick who was supposed to be Asian in Doctor Strange, or Johnny Storm in Fant4stic, or Deadshot. 

People tend to praise when a historically white/male character is replaced by a minority. It makes me feel like people dont really care about the art, and just want to see their representation agenda pushed onto media. And it results in pushback that I find to be justified, and thus I'm giving into the reactionary pushback. 

People need to stop caring about the WHAT and more about the WHO and WHY, y'know? 
  • MarcTheFallenMarcTheFallen Posts: 26,661 master of ceremonies
    I just want to say that Shedder wasn't a white dude. 

That is all. 
  • SATANSATAN Posts: 25,824 spicy boy
    I wanna see them cast the new Blade as a white guy. See how that works out. Watch the hypocrisy flow
  • GazorpazorpfieldGazorpazorpfield Posts: 22,293 master of ceremonies
    Raisins, chocolate or not suck though 
    image Photobucket
    edited August 2016
    Thats such a shitty analogy, because our disagreement with it doesnt stem from not enough "diversity" or monorities in movies, but in changing an established character with the sole purpose of "diversity" in mind. When a white is changed, its praised. When a minority is changed, its bitched about. Look at the backlash to the Dr. Strange movie. They changed a Asian man to a white woman. A minority, for a minority (sure she was white, but she was a woman). And people freaked. 

Satan could have said "make Blade mexican or chinese", and the hypocrisy would still arise. 
    That was just for Satan talking about casting a white guy as blade. I don't even bother with your stupid shit.
    image Photobucket
    Satan and I agree :|
    edited August 2016
    I don't know what I'm supposed to say here man. Your argument supposedly didn't even start because of race. This time you're mad because Zendaya was cast as Mary Jane, but NOT because she's black but because it made somebody else happy knowing that their joy pisses you off. And also because you only want direct copies of the comics all the fucking time even though you either don't watch them or say they suck. 

For fucks sake man
    image Photobucket
    I don't know what I'm supposed to say here man. Your argument supposedly didn't even start because of race. This time you're mad because Zendaya was cast as Mary Jane, but NOT because she's black but because it made somebody else happy knowing that their joy pisses you off. And also because you only want direct copies of the comics all the fucking time even though you either don't watch them or say they suck. 

For fucks sake man
    What the fuck?

I always say I prefer the characters in movies to reflect how they are in comics, and that im sick of identity politics being the focus of the comic scene right now. People who arent even into comics are influencing the culture because of their agenda. That was my complaint. I brought up numerous other examples I didnt like. 

Satan brought up the hypocrisy. Also something I agree with. 
    Zendaya could have been cast as White Tiger who is already depicted as black/hispanic, like Zendaya, and has ties to Spider-Man already. 

Things like that would be better I think. Bring to light the literally hundreds of characters who already are minorities, instead of just changing old ones. 
  • SATANSATAN Posts: 25,824 spicy boy
    I don't think it's identity politics so much as capitalism. All studios really care about is their bottoms line. If you put out a Spiderman movie with no major minority characters, there's a portion of the market they lose. From that perspective it totally makes sense. My issue with them using Mary Jane right away is that they dig themselves into the same hole as the Raimi version did where they either just don't use Gwen or they have to severely change the order of events to introduce her. I kinda like Zendaya. I def see MC's point about them using other minority characters instead of just retrofitting the white ones, but I'm at peace with what's happening. Marvel has made good strides towards promoting their minority characters as much as they can. As a longtime comic fan, I think it's a push to have Black Panther take such an integral role in the MCU above other, more prominent characters. Having War Machine and Falcon as up front as they are in the films is not only a healthy choice in terms of the bottom line, but those characters also have more malleability because they don't have so much history behind them. With most of the headline characters (Batman, Superman, Capt America, Spiderman, etc) remaining white, it doesn't bother me that they change peripheral characters to minorities as much. It's a different time we live in than when most of those characters were created. With Fantastic Four, it didn't bother me that they changed Johnny Storm to a black character, although it would've taken more balls to have Reid as the black one. Although I guess the Thing having blue eyes is just as important as Mary Jane having red hair. Stan Lee is a junkie for the redheads. There's more than enough of them for the MCU to pick from