Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Concert Review Thread

Comments

• ShaneShane Posts: 15,229 balls deep
    edited November 2010
    the Those whom the gods detest tour 2010 pt2 10/31/10

Keep of Kalessin, Psycroptic, Ex Deo, Nile

Keep of Kalessin - i got there late and missed almost their entire set which really sucked. from the one song i heard they sound pretty good live. can't give em a proper score. -/10

Pycroptic - Never hear of these guys before this show so i wasn't really expecting much but they are actually pretty damn good even if their songs drag for a little too long. They had some nice strong riffs and weren't afraid to tone the speed down at times and make it really heavy. Their Drummer is a beast to. all in all a really good set. 8/10

Ex Deo - Finally the band i've been waiting to see since the album released and got fucked out of seeing last year. If you haven't listened to them by now i really don't know what to tell you. They came on stage after a long intro in full battle gear with an amazing stage presence. sadly they were having some technical problems and you couldn't hear the lead guitar for the whole first song. they switched out guitars after the first song and they had no problems after that. The Sound was almost perfect compared the the studio version. I was singing along to every song and by the end of the set i could barely talk. Next to Amon Amarth best band i've seen this year. if you have a chance to see them make every effort to go! 10/10

Nile - I only stayed for 2 songs since i had to work at 5am since my fucktard boss ignored my request off for monday. they sounded decent. can't give a proper score -/10

Ex Deo setlist in order

Cruor Nostri Abbas
    Legio Xiii
    the final war
    storm the gates of Alesia
    Blood, Courage And The God's That Walk The Earth
    Romulus

i was VERY disappointed in the lack of In her Dark Embrace and Cry Havok
  • That_Guy_ArloThat_Guy_Arlo Posts: 14,026 master of ceremonies
    Very nice, I wish that tour would have come around these parts.
  • EpisodeEpisode Posts: 32,049 destroyer of motherfuckers
    They came on stage after a long intro in full battle gear with an amazing stage presence.

Oh God. That's gonna annoy the fucking shit out of me next Monday.
  • drinkwine732drinkwine732 Posts: 20,418 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Wine: what Triptykon songs did they play?

The Prolonging
    Fucking A, that had to be the most mind-numbingly boring shit EVER live.
    False.

There were no moments of boredom at that show, although I just wish they played some other Frost greats instead of filling 15 minutes with it.
    My Top Albumsidrinkwine732's Profile Page
  • That_Guy_ArloThat_Guy_Arlo Posts: 14,026 master of ceremonies
    edited November 2010
    fun. w/ Steel Train and Gold Motel at the House of Blues

Yes I know this show is nowhere near metal, but I don't care, it was really entertaining so I'm gonna post it anyway.

Ok so a couple friends of mine back in August told me about this show and invited me to go so I figured I'd check it out since the tickets were cheap. Little did I know that GWAR would have their tour date come through the exact same day in the same building (they were in the main room of course while we were in the smaller room). I had already bought my ticket for this show by the time GWAR was scheduled to come here so as much as it pained me I had to suck it up and go to the "fun." concert.

Gold Motel - Never heard of this band before the show but they were actually pretty good. I might have been a little too intoxicated to care but they did a good job of opening up the show. 7/10

Steel Train - I had been introduced to this band from my two friends that I went with and never really got into them that much but figured I'd hold off judgement until after I saw them live. This band seriously blew me away, I had no idea it was possible to have so much energy while playing indie-popish music, but they were going absolutely crazy the whole time which the crowd just fed off of the whole set. The lead singer kept making all these GWAR references and saying that we were all losers for choosing this show over GWAR so it was nice to see that even bands like these know where the real show is, lol. Best part of the set was when right after yet another mention of the concert going on in the other room I threw up the horns and the lead singer noticed and pointed at me. He then looked at the crowd and said "everyone do this!" while he pointed at me. To my surprise what seemed like the entire crowd joined with me and I could not have felt any more accomplished to bring some sort of "metal moment" to a pop show, haha. Great set overall even though the music isn't exactly my thing. Stage performance and crowd interaction really can go a long way and they were spot on with both. 9/10

fun. - Another band I had only been introduced to only a few months prior to seeing them and once again I didn't really care much for them on album. Like Steel Train though they surprised the hell out of me with their performance and overload of GWAR references, once again asking us why the hell we chose this show over the other one. It was a bit upsetting being able to feel the floor rumble from the GWAR show knowing what I could have been seeing at that very moment but still didn't keep me from having a great time once again with a band I was not at all familiar with. 8.5/10
  • Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,593 spicy boy
    so just got back from the black label show...ill go more in depth tomorrow but it was amazing...they moved clutch to opener and Bodom to b4 clutch cause of clutch's following here and they were badass....zack from first note was amazing,,,he brought out a piano and dropped dimebag banners for in this river....brought out the dueling 12 string 6 string guitar for blessid hell ride...and kicked ass all night...pits were 100 times better than i expected and you could see it on zakks face as he smiled and pointed to the bass player and then out to the crowd that they were having a blast...thank you zakk for making it everything and even better than i expected....it was an amazing night
  • NolaFree810NolaFree810 Posts: 36,796 moneytalker
    sounds like a good show. wish those guys came our wayy
    dude it kicked ass...zakk played a good ten minute solo that was awesome to
    nice.since BLS didnt play at ozzfest due to weather i have still never seen them. did clutch play binge and purge?
    not sure...i don't think so tho...i want to see them headline....this is ruffly there set

Who's Been Talking?
    Algo Ha Cambiado
    Texan Book Of The Dead
    Struckdown
    The Mob Goes Wild
    Big News I & II
    Pure Rock Fury
    Abraham Lincoln
    Burning Beard
    they played electric worry tho...was bad ass
  • drinkwine732drinkwine732 Posts: 20,418 destroyer of motherfuckers
    They switch it up nightly, I'm fairly sure.
    My Top Albumsidrinkwine732's Profile Page
    on this tour they have been doing basically the same thing....but they play grand rapids like 2-3 times a year cause of there following here so they could have played any thing....either way they fucking rocked out
    not sure...i don't think so tho...i want to see them headline....this is ruffly there set

Who's Been Talking?
    Algo Ha Cambiado
    Texan Book Of The Dead
    Struckdown
    The Mob Goes Wild
    Big News I & II
    Pure Rock Fury
    Abraham Lincoln
    Burning Beard

not bad but missing
    binge and purge
    the incomparablle my flannery

mob goes wild is awesome though and electric worry
  • SantanaSantana Posts: 16,743 juggalo
    Has no one been to the suffocation show?
  • OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy
    SUFFOCATION / THE FACELESS / TTEOTD / DECREPIT BIRTH / FLESHGOD APOCALYPSE

11/1/10 Tempe, AZ (The Clubhouse)

Pretty good show, lame turnout. Then again, less people means more room.

Hypathia - Same local band who opened for Cattle Decap back in September. They're one of the better bands from around here. Yeah.... 7/10

Darkness Before Dawn - Sounded a lot like Hypathia, but not quite as good. The singer liked to get a mouthful of water and then spit it on the crowd which I hated. But I also didn't want to lose my prime front and center spot for any of the other bands. 6/10

Fleshgod Apocalypse - Apparently this was their first US tour. Good stuff though. They reminded me of Behemoth a lot (inb4behemothfanboyssaynotheydont). They had this sort of zombie dinner party getup which was pretty sweet. Aside from the asshat fucking around with the singer and I, I enjoyed em. 7.5/10

Decrepit Birth - Very fun band. The singer even put the mic up to me for a part of one song, so I just did a metal yell thing. Fuck I didn't know if there were lyrics. They're really chill guys though and they sounded great. 8/10

Through the Eyes of the Dead - This is when the crowd REALLY went nuts. Crowd surfers left and right towards the end and I actually had to stand my ground very firmly to keep my spot (which was now just left of center). I don't like TTEOTD on album at all, but I have to admit they put on quite the show.

The Faceless - The main band I wanted to see. They didn't disappoint, but about three songs into their set, the sound cut out and it took a good five minutes or so to fix. That being said, they had to cut their setlist one song short, so they closed with An Autopsy instead of The Ancient Covenant. 8.5/10

Suffocation - Very cool performance. It's funny... their singer looks like an average Joe. Anyways, I couldn't really tell one song from another, but it still sounded great. Guy threw out two picks, one which I caught and one that was just laying on the ground afterwards.
    I love winning with women
    Sounds like this will be a fun show. The guy only threw out 2?
    Sounds like this will be a fun show. The guy only threw out 2?
    Idk. I got two, but I'm not sure if he threw out more.
    hmmmmmm must get suffocation pick
    If the turnout is as meager as this one was (probably about 100 people on the floor at the most crowded point), it shouldn't be a problem.