Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Concert Review Thread

Comments

• ComptonAssBertoComptonAssBerto Posts: 3,899 just the tip
    Blaaaaaaaaah, dumb! They needa Dead Wrong up in that set.
  • GazorpazorpfieldGazorpazorpfield Posts: 22,293 master of ceremonies
    Chimaira - Six > All That Remains - Six
    image Photobucket
  • OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy
    That much I agree with.
    I love winning with women
  • NOCAPNOCAP Posts: 37,281 mod
    Alex, you're a journalist, right?

Alex, you're a journalist, right?
    Communications major who works for the radio station as a DJ and writes concert reviews.

Whatever you call that. lol
  • mrAPEmrAPE Posts: 39,476 moneytalker
    Yeah i was right. Fuck all that remains. Seen them enough time that i will not be seeing them again after the shit they are putting out and playing live
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
    I was chilling in the media aisle the whole set. Didn't care what they played, it was awesome. lol
  • Its_Meh_ChewIts_Meh_Chew Posts: 7,380 just the tip
    Yeah i was right. Fuck all that remains. Seen them enough time that i will not be seeing them again after the shit they are putting out and playing live
    well this is what their headline sets have been looking like this tour

Now Let Them Tremble...
    For We Are Many
    Six
    Before The Damned
    Forever In Your Hands
    Aggressive Opposition
    Hold On
    Dead Wrong
    This Calling
    Become the Catalyst
    Some Of The People, All Of The Time
    Not Alone
    The Air That I Breathe
    Two Weeks
  • That_Guy_ArloThat_Guy_Arlo Posts: 14,026 master of ceremonies
    Damn that's quite a few new songs...
    Wow they REALLY don't like to touch TDH, do they?
    You're just trying to get me fired up huh chew? I see what you're doing.

Alex when I asked Phil why they weren't playing anything off that cd he said to me " what do you want us to do we play old songs and the new fans are like what the fuck is this"

So he doesn't give a shit about the people that were into them from the start and helped get their name out there for friends to listen to them
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
    That sort of seems like a bullshit reason on his part... plenty of bands play old songs that new fans don't know. I'm almost wondering if there's some sort of hard feelings/legal reason they don't play anything off it.
    Nah he is just a cunt
    Jeanne is nice, though. lol
  • Its_Meh_ChewIts_Meh_Chew Posts: 7,380 just the tip
    That sort of seems like a bullshit reason on his part... plenty of bands play old songs that new fans don't know. I'm almost wondering if there's some sort of hard feelings/legal reason they don't play anything off it.
    can't really be legal reasons. The band is still on Prosthetic, and outside of Jeanne and the drummer, its the same band.
  • drinkwine732drinkwine732 Posts: 20,418 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Triptykon w/ 1349 and Yakuza:

I pledged to myself on Saturday that I would leave at 8:00. That was the time the doors would open, which was particularly surprising because I've never known Slim's to have such a late show. At 7:45 it was late in NLCS Game 6, and I was hoping the Giants could just get it over with. I was ready to go see Tom G Warrior's latest genius project, Triptykon, along with black metal...somethings 1349 and avant-garde band Yakuza. But then, Uribe hit what looked to be a nice double to the opposite field. I was waiting for it to just sink to the field, and him getting a nice stand up double. But it just kept soaring, until I saw a Phillies fan in a moment of pure indecision. He caught the ball that would send the Giants, and by proxy the Bay Area, to the World Series, ending the sports drought that has captured our fair area for quite some time. Needless to say, I was happy as a sports fan, but in a few hours, I was about to be ecstatic as a metal fan.

I drove with haste at 8:20 across the Bay Bridge, taking the S curve at a nice round 50 miles per hour, eventually arriving at Slim's at about 9:15. I was greeted with the sounds of a melodious black metal tune, that I was immediately by which I was immediately gripped. After getting my ticket from the will call guy, I made my way in to watch Yakuza, a band with whom I was completely unfamiliar. I was immediately thinking "damn, this is great." But then, I watched the vocalist pick up a sexy looking tenor sax and my inner jazz fan went ballistic. I was really gripped by Yakuza and their performance, and if anyone has recommendations for me, I'm totally there.

I was about three or four people away from the rail between Yakuza and 1349, and I was pretty content with that position. I don't really think they're an awesome band, but they have some cool tunes, and I wanted to be in prime position for Celtic Frost. The mumble around pretty much yielded the fact that about 40% of the people were there solely for 1349. Once they came onstage in classic black metal fashion, that is to mean choral/orchestral intro with a slow moving, horn wielding intensity, I knew I was probably going to see something pretty by the books. Still, watching them perform some songs was fun, and the crowd was really into them. The sole moments where I was into it were when they weren't afraid to let some melody out and break away from the 4 chord black metal tremolo picks that they just looooved to play. By the end of their set, I was wishing Yakuza could have had some more time, with perhaps a nice Baker Street cover to round out the night. Hey, you can end a set with a Gerry Rafferty cover, fuck off elitists.

By sets end, a few people started to leave, allowing me to, in jackal like fashion, speed into a nice rail spot right at center stage. I was getting pretty excited, because I knew that's where Tom had to be rocking out all night. They took stage pretty quickly, and Triptykon were greeted as if they were metal veterans. They opened, much to my surprise, with Procreation of the Wicked, which is one of my favorite Frost songs. Quickly afterwards, they jumped into an awesome up-tempo rendition of Goetia that absolutely crushed. I always thought the song was made classic with its nice slow building Goliath-ness, but up tempo it was a mammoth of a song. I was feeling like I had just hit myself in the face with a hammer when Triptykon got to their final song of the night, the 20 minute long epic, The Prolonging. This song is my sole complaint of the evening. In that time, I could have heard another Triptykon song and a nice Monotheist classic, I was thinking Progeny. But nope, we had to hear the ambient drag on of the aptly named Prolonging. Now, before you pick up your bowl of Spaghetti-O's and storm away from your computer in disgust, let me explain. I don't think the Prolonging is bad, but it should have no place in a Triptykon live set. With such a long history, Warrior should have slipped in a few other songs. C'mon Tom. Tom ended the night saying "Triptykon bows to you," and there was a nice bow. I shook hands with the whole band, escaped with a drumstick, and was on my way. I feel incredibly accomplished knowing that I've seen Celtic Frost material live, along with some excellent new tunes. A night well spent.

Yakuza: 8.5/10
    1349: 7/10
    Triptykon: 9/10

http://www.thegauntlet.com/article/1225/20281/Triptykon-check-in-from-the-road.html

Today, I read this check in from the road, that mainly just talks about how awesome we were not only as a crowd, but as people too. I was really touched that he took the time to do this, and I'm really sad I wasn't there to talk to him before the show. He would have had no trouble finding me later, he'd be such a fun character to have a long conversation with.
    My Top Albumsidrinkwine732's Profile Page
  • BrianBrian Posts: 17,611 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Awesome review, Wine.

And Alex, I have the same Unearth shirt as the guy in the last picture.
    nike Pictures, Images and PhotosTUPAC IS DEAD/THE LEGEND IS GONE/THEY SAYIN TUPAC'S BACK?/DEM NIGGAS WRONG
  • NecrothulhuNecrothulhu Posts: 33,444 master of ceremonies
  • drinkwine732drinkwine732 Posts: 20,418 destroyer of motherfuckers
    edited October 2010
    Page
    FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

No one gets to read my review now...

Goetia footage. If I knew what I looked like while I headbang, I'd tell you which one I was...

EDIT: Heaviest moment of my life at about 6:00
    My Top Albumsidrinkwine732's Profile Page