Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Concert Review Thread

Comments

• drinkwine732drinkwine732 Posts: 20,418 destroyer of motherfuckers
    ^You sure you know them?
    My Top Albumsidrinkwine732's Profile Page
  • Ace_Deputy_CheezeAce_Deputy_Cheeze Posts: 14,736 jayfacer
    If i wasnt feelin like absolute shit yesterday
    i wudve went to Cormorant. =(
    Deputy_Cheeze's Profile Page Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
    "If i wasnt feelin like absolute shit yesterday
    i wudve went to Cormorant. =("

Awesome show, me n about 20-30ish people rockin out.
  • Ace_Deputy_CheezeAce_Deputy_Cheeze Posts: 14,736 jayfacer
    grr, next time.
    Deputy_Cheeze's Profile Page Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
    For sure, any time it's an option I'm there.
  • ComptonAssBertoComptonAssBerto Posts: 3,899 just the tip
    I know this is extremely late, but i found a pretty good video from the BDM show in Orlando.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8ftT_bwIaA
  • OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy
    FLOGGING MOLLY / METRIC / BOLLOX / KELTIC COWBOYS
    Tempe Beach Park St. Patty's Day Celebration (Last date of the Green 17 Tour)

Second time seeing Flogging Molly, and the best of the two. First time was at Edgefest 09 (a discontinued annual festival), but back then I only got to see half of their set. I was also some distance away. This time around, I was on the rail the whole time. Absolutely awesome.

KELTIC COWBOYS: Better than I expected actually. They did this really cool Irish rock remix of Amazing Grace, bagpipe intro and all.

BOLLOX: Very similar to Keltic, but there was a bit more screaming. It was almost even better. A lot of the time it sounded like Irish metal.

METRIC: The people who put this concert together must have been doing some dank ass bud when they put these guys on the bill. They sounded NOTHING like any of the other bands. This was electronica pop. The kind of band you could see opening for a band for a band for a band opening for Muse. And their singer came out looked like something between Candice of WoJ and Lady Gaga. Don't get me wrong, they were a pretty good band... but they didn't belong on an Irish music fest.

FLOGGING MOLLY: Amazing. Simply amazing. So much energy that even they didn't know what to do with it. I'm very tired right now, so I'll post the pics tomorrow, but here's the setlist:

1. (No More) Paddy's Lament
    2. The Likes of You Again
    3. Swagger
    4. Requiem for a Dying Song
    5. Every Dog Has Its Day
    6. The Worst Day Since Yesterday
    7. Drunken Lullabies
    8. You Won't Make a Fool Out of Me
    9. Man With No Country
    10. The Wanderlust (Acoustic)
    11. Us of Lesser Gods
    12. Factory Girls
    13. Float
    14. Punch Drunk Grinning Soul
    15. Tobacco Island
    16. Rebels of the Sacred Heart
    17. Devil's Dance Floor
    18. If I Ever Leave This World Alive
    19. Salty Dog
    20. The Lightning Storm
    21. What's Left of the Flag

Encore:
    22. The Wrong Company
    23. Black Friday Rule
    24. Seven Deadly Sins
    I love winning with women
    Good setlist too, sounds like it was awesome. Later today I'm going to repost my Cormorant review, I gotta get ready for school.
    Keltic Cowboys:

The crowd about 1/3 of the way through:
    Crowd about 1/3 of the way through:

Bollox:

Metric:

Metric:

edited March 2010
    I'm going to move this down below the pics.
    Post edited by drinkwine732 on
    Flogging Molly:
    I got there around 8 o'clock, just in time for doors to open, and I really didn't know what to expect. I knew Ashkira, a local metalcore band who I consider to be good were the first band playing. To be honest, there isn't a whole lot that's unique about them, but I think they're fun. Their debut, The Honor of Defeat came out a few months ago, and I listen to it every now and then, it's a pretty solid metalcore album. They played about 30 minutes, and really made the most of their set. If you're a fan of Lamb of God, I'd check them out.

Ashkira:
    Beyond the Pale (unsure about this one, wasn't too familiar with it)
    Will
    Lifelike
    Shattered Sun
    Illusions of Grandeur

The next band up, Cormorant, are one of my favorite metal bands on the planet right now. I had no clue what their live show would be like, and was really scared that I wouldn't like it, thus taking something away from the band. I couldn't have been more wrong. They were awesome. Rocking out to Scavenger's Feast live is probably some of the most fun I've ever had at a metal show. They played only tunes from Metazoa, which bummed me out a bit, because I think some of their best material is on The Last Tree. They also played two new songs, one an instrumental. Both were brilliant, and showed of more of a black metal influence than Metazoa or The Last Tree. I'm not really good at writing this shit, so I'm going to just say some things that are on my mind. If they don't have success down the road, something's wrong with the world. If they get enough money to go on the road, you all should see them. I have such a man crush on this band, and they really made me feel like I saw something special yesterday. Long winded post over...

Cormorant:
    Scavenger's Feast
    Uneasy Lies the Head
    New Song
    Blood on the Cornfields
    New Song

Couldn't stay for much of Suidakra, but what I did see was fantastic. I've never had the opportunity to get into them as much as I would have liked, but if you're into them, they've got a great live show as well.
    Cormorant:

Image taken by Jamie Harvey of hardrockchick.com. Whose review can be read here: http://www.hardrockchick.com/2010/03/16/manic-metal-monday-suidakra-cormorant-ashkira-thee-parkside-31510/
  • That_Guy_ArloThat_Guy_Arlo Posts: 14,026 master of ceremonies
    "Another Otep review"

So the first 3 bands of the night were all local, but in a strange turn of events they were all amazing. I am not exaggerating when I say the crowd showed more energy for the local bands than they did for the first two touring bands. The local act that got the crowd moving the most was a band by the name of American Lab Rat. Very impressed with all 3 bands.

Destrophy - I think I might have heard of these guys before but was not familiar with any of their stuff. This band blew me away from beginning to end, every song sounded amazing, without sounding the same. Can't wait to see these guys again. 8.5/10

Through The Eyes Of The Dead - I've recently gotten into this band and they didn't disappoint live. Could have done without seeing the two ninjas in the pit, but whatever. The band had a great stage presence but the singer seemed a bit frustrated with the fact that the crowd reacted better to the local acts than to them, lol. 7.5/10

Bury Your Dead - Ok, Shane was right about this band, amazing stage presence throughout the entire set finishing with the guitarist and singer jumping up on the huge amps as they finished the final song. Unfortunately I wasn't too familiar with most of their stuff but it didn't make any difference as every song was hit like a ton of bricks (in the best possible way, haha). 9/10

Otep - Many people here I'm sure couldn't care less for this band, but to be honest they are the reason I even bought the ticket. As a review......well......it's Otep. This seems to be a band people either love or hate, and if you love them all I have to say is see them live. Just be sure to expect a lot of political commentary and a bit of theater mixed in with the performance. They did get the crowd moving more than any band that night (well, maybe a tie with BYD) thanks to a great set list that of course ended with their cover of "Breed". 9/10
  • SantanaSantana Posts: 16,743 juggalo
    Just got back from a show called the Martial Arts of Drumming
    the band was called Tao, from Japan and it was a 13-15 person drumming/flute/strings performance focusing mainly around drumming

Let me tell you first that this is my second favorite show because of the crowd interaction and the amazing drumming I saw
    I would definitely put these drummers over inferno and lambardo because their speed surpasses both drummers and they're ridiculously technical

The dynamics these guys showed was amazing. They were showing perfect control over what they were doing and making it musical. They really merged martial arts with music in this.
    They had many different types of pieces too, some with flute melodies and drumming patterns in the background and others with 3 huge bass drums that would be hit in different spots at different strengths for all these different sounds. The choreography was amazing too. They had this one part where 5 people lined up and the first person would make motions with the drum sticks while playing a beat and all the others would follow having the illusion of the "one person with many arms" type thing
    There was also a song where about 6 drums were lined up with 5 guys standing between two drums each. They put everything together so they would make a beat and drum roll on two drums with two people at once
    Also the same thing happened where one guy had a bass drum on its side and he would have a constant drum roll on one side while putting accented beats out on the other side but keeping the constant drum roll perfect.
    The during their last song before intermission and the very last song they had someone come out with a huge staff that he spun around everywhere, circling himself at unnatural speeds to the point where it was hard to see the staff at all. If he had missed one spin and let go of the staff it would have easily impaled someone in the audience or on stage.
    They drums were something special too. They had to have custom made drums from Japan because of the strength these people are hitting with. They've tried other drums in America and all have broken while practicing.
    They played thirteen songs and the show lasted about 2 hours
    I'm going to pull an Erik and give it an 11/10
    edited March 2010
    edited March 2010