Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Concert Review Thread

Comments

• JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,721 mod
    3-13-10 - Auburn Hills, MI - Palace of Auburn Hills - Muse

We got there at about 6:15, with the start time on the ticket listed at 7. We spent the time checking out the tour merch and finding our seats, then just chilled until Silversun Pickups came on. There were some nice Muse shirts, but I decided to pass this time to save for another show.

Silversun Pickups - A very good choice to open for Muse imo. Their music is in a similar vein. They had decent stage presence and talked a bit with the crowd in between a couple songs. The crowd, or whoever had decided to show up on time, seemed to react to them favorably. They played for 35-40 minutes. If you like Muse-type music, give them a listen. 8/10

Setlist:
    Growing Old Is Getting Old
    Well Thought Out Twinkles
    There's No Secrets This Year
    The Royal We
    Future Foe Scenarios
    Substitution
    Panic Switch
    Lazy Eye

Muse - I had been looking forward to this show ever since it was announced last year, and Muse reminded me why. They were brilliant. Their stage show definitely wins the prize for the best I've seen so far. Tons of lights, lasers, and really cool special effects that give even TSO's show a run for their money. Not to mention huge white balloons that exploded with confetti when you popped them. Of course, none of this would mean anything if the music sucked, but it did not. Quite the opposite. They were pretty much flawless musically. Matt's pitch on vocals were perfect and the guitarwork and drumming were solid. For a three piece band, their stage presence was awesome, and Matt was all over the place while they were playing. The setlist is listed below. I was slightly disappointed that they didn't play Map of the Problematique, which they had played at previous shows, but other than that, I was very happy with the setlist. Tons of good stuff from the new album, plus many solid older tracks. The crowd seemed to respond the most to the older songs, especially Stockholm Syndrome, Time Is Running Out, and Knights. It was different seeing a show where there wasn't constant movement on the floor lol. They played for nearly two hours, though I wished they played for another two. Overall, one of the best live bands I've ever seen. They lived up to the hype and then some, hopefully it won't be another few years before they return. 10/10

Setlist:

Uprising
    Resistance
    New Born
    MK Ultra
    Supermassive Black Hole
    Interlude
    Hysteria
    Nishe
    United States Of Eurasia
    Feeling Good (w/Take A Bow riff intro)
    Helsinki Jam
    Undisclosed Desires
    Starlight
    Time Is Running Out
    Unnatural Selection
    Plug In Baby

Exogenesis: Symphony, Part 1: Overture
    Stockholm Syndrome
    Knights of Cydonia (w/ Man With A Harmonica intro)

Oh, and the show was over by a few minutes past 10. There's a first time for everything.
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
  • Its_Meh_ChewIts_Meh_Chew Posts: 7,380 just the tip
    well, if you need to get a gist of how bad mychildren mybride are...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQ0md2oS3iY

granted, not my show, but same thing lol;
  • EpisodeEpisode Posts: 32,049 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Aha, of course. Use the school shit on me.

Look, I don't have time for you, jackass.

• Its_Meh_ChewIts_Meh_Chew Posts: 7,380 just the tip
    oh and here's my show w the red chord, you can see how small it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcSd3KhlccI
    Erik, I pretty much agree with your review of Kreator. While I would not give them 11/10, I did enjoy them more live than Slayer. HOWEVA, I will wait until I see Slayer in a more intimate setting (on the floor at American Carnage) before I make a call on who's better live. Seeing Slayer on the lawn was great, but for all I know it could be in a whole different stratosphere indoors. I differ in the opinion of Nachtmystium, and I wish you could have seen the first two bands in their entirety, they tore shit up.

Oh, and FYI, the frontman's name is Mille, the guitarist's name Sami. And I got that Kreator drumstick. XD
    Yea, I wish I could have too, especially Evile, I missed Thrasher :'( ........*Sad voice* Thrasher....

And I saw Slayer on the floor at Mayhem, so I've already had THAT experience, although I wasn't up close, which I will try to achieve at American Carnage.

And yea, I just looked up their names on Metal Archives lol.

Yep, rub it in. >_> I love their Drummer too.
  • drinkwine732drinkwine732 Posts: 20,418 destroyer of motherfuckers
    "Setlist:

Uprising
    Resistance
    New Born
    MK Ultra
    Supermassive Black Hole
    Interlude
    Hysteria
    Nishe
    United States Of Eurasia
    Feeling Good (w/Take A Bow riff intro)
    Helsinki Jam
    Undisclosed Desires
    Starlight
    Time Is Running Out
    Unnatural Selection
    Plug In Baby

Exogenesis: Symphony, Part 1: Overture
    Stockholm Syndrome
    Knights of Cydonia (w/ Man With A Harmonica intro)"

That's one of the best setlists I've ever seen. I'm surprised Take a Bow wasn't in there though. If I'm not college touring, I'm scalping to go to this show, I'd pay more than face price to go to this show...
    My Top Albumsidrinkwine732's Profile Page
  • drinkwine732drinkwine732 Posts: 20,418 destroyer of motherfuckers
    "And I saw Slayer on the floor at Mayhem, so I've already had THAT experience, although I wasn't up close, which I will try to achieve at American Carnage."

As a person who has had that experience, it's unparalleled in live music performance. I haven't seen Kreator however...
    My Top Albumsidrinkwine732's Profile Page
    "That's one of the best setlists I've ever seen. I'm surprised Take a Bow wasn't in there though. If I'm not college touring, I'm scalping to go to this show, I'd pay more than face price to go to this show..."

Map of the Problematique is also on that set in some shows, and Guiding Light is sometimes subbed in for MK Ultra. I hope you do get to go, it's worth the price.

"Yep, rub it in. >_> I love their Drummer too."

If it makes you feel any better, the drumsticks don't have the band logo on it or anything lol. It had the shit beat out of it though.
    I know, they're just regular 5A Vic Firth sticks, but still lol.
    BTW, I was trying to recall earlier, what was the full line-up of Kreator's U.S.A. tour last year? (Which I'm still kicking myself in the ass for missing.)

It was:
    Kreator
    Exodus
    Warbringer
    Belphegor
    And....?
    There we go. Lol.
  • ComptonAssBertoComptonAssBerto Posts: 3,899 just the tip
    mcmb are awesome.
  • ShaneShane Posts: 15,229 balls deep
  • AdamAdam Posts: 11,533 balls deep
    goddamn thats an awesome muse setlist .
    btw calling Nachtmystium boring black metal is
    a fucking huge mistake great band.
  • GazorpazorpfieldGazorpazorpfield Posts: 22,293 master of ceremonies
    Yeah the sticks are still cool.
    The pick I stole means almost nothing. It wasn't used, and it only has a logo for the pick. Nothing to do with Kreator lol.
    image Photobucket
    edited March 2010
    3-13-10 - Raleigh NC - Volume 11 Tavern - Goatwhore

tried to get there late to miss the shitty opening bands but alas they opened the doors late so i got there when the first local band was taking the stage. they sucked, so did the one man band after them. they were out of the who needs god when u have satan shirt which i REALLY wanted to get so i got a Volume 11 tavern shirt instead. gotta rep my venue lol

Enfold darkness- At first i though this was a deathcore band, but i was pleasantly surprised. they reminded me a lot of Daath which is good. decent energy with very melodic solos. good overall performance and i'll be listening to this guys a lot more. got a nice size poster signed by all the band memebers 7/10

Goatwhore - Whats there to say? its fucking Goatwhore. my 4th time seeing them at volume 11 and they put on one helluva show. if you've seen them ya know what i'm talking about, if ya haven't y need to cuz there awesome. they played all the songs i wanted to hear and i got a setlist signed by ben \m/ 9.25/10

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
    Enfold darkness

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket