Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Concert Review Thread

Comments

• NOLANOLA Posts: 6,353 jayfacer
    edited October 2010
    Back from the Housecore showcase.

Cauldron opened the show. If you want to check them out, here's a link to their page... http://www.myspace.com/fortheloveofpain.

Set:

For the Love of Pain
    Acts of God
    Endless
    Blood on the Cross
    Resistance Is Fertile

haarp was up next. These motherfuckers always bring it. I defiantly recommend checking them out for sure. Shaun Emmons the vocalist, is just mad intense. http://www.myspace.com/haarpnola

Set:

Dissemination
    Soothsayer
    Fog Cutter
    Thinning
    Blackhand
    Synthetic Sense
    Durendal Forsaken (Anselmo as guess vocalist)

Warbeast was next. Just prior to starting their set, Jeremy Shockey walked in. Anyways, if you don't know who Warbeast is, check them out. The bands fronted by Bruce Corbitt formerly of "Rigor Mortis". Their just straight up old school thrash. Really solid live. Bruce is a very good frontman imo. They recently released their first album entitled "Krush the Enemy". Check that out as well. They've been down here laying down new tracks for the past two weeks. A new song title "Birth Of A Psycho" will be released in upcoming weeks. http://www.myspace.com/texasmetalalliance

Set:

Krush the Enemy
    The Plague At Hand
    Scorched Earth Policy
    Unleashed
    Stalker
    Birth Of A Psycho (new song) - first time played
    We Are the Vultures
    Guardian Angel
    Self Will Run Riot

Finally, Crowbar. Great as always. Simple as that. This was probably my 13 or 14th time seeing Crowbar. Kirk was in fine form. First official show sober.

Set:

Self-Inflicted
    All I Had (I Gave)
    New Dawn
    I Am Forever
    Conquering
    Still I Reach
    The Lasting Dose
    Burn Your World
    I Feel the Burning Sun
    High Rate Extinction
    Planets Collide

Arson Anthem, Warbeast, haarp dates will be announced in upcoming weeks for a very limited run in January.
    Post edited by NOLA on
  • BrianBrian Posts: 17,611 destroyer of motherfuckers
    I really wanna see Arson but I know they'll never come here. Dooshbaygs.
    nike Pictures, Images and PhotosTUPAC IS DEAD/THE LEGEND IS GONE/THEY SAYIN TUPAC'S BACK?/DEM NIGGAS WRONG
  • Its_Meh_ChewIts_Meh_Chew Posts: 7,380 just the tip
    edited October 2010
    I'm gonna keep this short caue
    a. i'm tired as fuck (well i'll prob be up all night anyways)
    and
    b. you all already know the drill in regards to American Carnage leg 2
    Anthrax was awesome. Beladonna sounded great, no real vocal problems and had no problem hitting notes (graned he didn't do the extreme highs, but he didn't really try)
    Megadeth, eh, idk if he mumbles his singing now, cause he sounds so bad, or if it was mic issues but his vox were muffled enough to a point where it was hard to hear or understand his vocals i'd say. Also, i was quite amused that Dave went on a rant about the last time they played baltimore, they had some issues with sound, and he called Rams head a fucking toilet, which i agree 100% with him. 6/10
    next the mighty Slayer. They were as perfect as could be, no sound issues, Tom was loud and clear, and i didn't have any issue at all with the dueling solos, as at some venues when u have 2 lead guitarists, sometimes you can't hear the other one on the far side. And i'll be dammed but 11/10
    now on to the Pics
    The Baltimore Ruins aka the First Mariner Arena
    Scott Ian
    Megadave
    more Megadave
    Chris Brodderick
    Jeff Hannemann
    Kerry King
  • Its_Meh_ChewIts_Meh_Chew Posts: 7,380 just the tip
    oh and one more bit too, Tom did make an attempt at the Angel of Death scream at the begining (which i don't believe he has been doing) and they went right into Criminally Insane during Reign in Blood, aka, they didn't do the big epic solo, so prob the guitar hero nerds weren't too happ7y
    Dave sounded fantastic at our show. Not sure what happened at yours.
  • drinkwine732drinkwine732 Posts: 20,418 destroyer of motherfuckers
    I agree. Not quite RIP status, but great.
    My Top Albumsidrinkwine732's Profile Page
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    He sounded like ass at the Denver show
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,722 mod
    Agreed.
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
  • BrianBrian Posts: 17,611 destroyer of motherfuckers
    I'll wait for Anthrax and Megadeth headlining shows.

Besides, they are coming here on a night I'm working.
    nike Pictures, Images and PhotosTUPAC IS DEAD/THE LEGEND IS GONE/THEY SAYIN TUPAC'S BACK?/DEM NIGGAS WRONG
  • OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy
    For anyone attending the Cattle Decapitation tour...

I love winning with women
    STP was absolutely amazing tonight! Full review coming soon.
  • mrAPEmrAPE Posts: 39,476 moneytalker
    STP was fucking terrible tonight!!! Full review coming soon.
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
  • GazorpazorpfieldGazorpazorpfield Posts: 22,293 master of ceremonies
    Whitechapel show...what to say..I went through hell to see a band I'm sure a lot of you think would still be the hell part.
    review sooner or later, good nights.
    image Photobucket
    edited October 2010
    Show started off with "Black Rebel Motorcycle Club". Know of them, but don't know much about them. They weren't bad. There were a few intriguing moments in their set, but nothing really memorable. Just a decent overall opening band to start the evening. Can't give a set at this time as im not familiar with any of their material. 7/10

Next up is the band that everybody came to see. At exactly 8:50pm and on schedule, the band takes the stage. Lights go out and place goes apeshit. The guys kick into "Crackerman". Great way to start the show. Scott was in fine form and really sounded quite flawless. He really seemed to be enjoying himself as well. The DeLeo brothers were on point as always.

Anyways, it was your standard STP set. The "Dancing Days" cover was cool. Defiantly a few songs missing in the set that I would've liked to hear. But, I have no complaints. Scott in fine form is a must see entertainment imo. There aren't many dates left on the tour. But if their stopping in your town or nearby, go see the show. This was my third time seeing STP. Probably my second favorite show out of the three. The last was infront of 66,000 people, so it's kind of hard to beat that. But, awesome none to less. 10/10

Set:

Crackerman
    Wicked Garden
    Vasoline
    Heaven and Hot Rods
    Between The Lines
    Hickory Dichotomy
    Still Remains
    Cinnamon
    Big Empty
    Dancing Days (Led Zeppelin cover)
    Pretty Penny
    Silvergun Superman
    Plush
    Interstate Love Song
    Huckleberry Crumble
    Down
    Sex Type Thing

Encore:
    Trippin' On a Hole in a Paper Heart
    Post edited by NOLA on
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,722 mod
    They cut Dead and Bloated? Odd....
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
    They cut Dead and Bloated? Odd....
    yep, I was a bit shocked as well.
  • Saw GWAR about 9 days ago, Mobile Deathcamp was awesome as was the other opening act. Casualties I stll classify a weird band to open but they were incredible. Knew every song, loved their set. GWAR is not my style music wise and I honestly still think they suck, but their stage show is awesome. Blood, piss, cum, vomit. Good shit, too bad the music sucked in my opinion.
  • KridesBrideBrittKridesBrideBritt Posts: 25,781 jayfacer
    edited October 2010
    Holy hell! No Dead and Bloated!? We got that back in May. It was the best out of the whole set. They were amazing, though the band on before them was even better...Alice in Fucking Chains.
    kristianPhotobucketPhotobucket Trephination-Tuesday Nights/Wednesday Mornings...11pm-1am- http://wrsu.rutgers.edu/listen.html
  • GazorpazorpfieldGazorpazorpfield Posts: 22,293 master of ceremonies
    Before I into a somewhat long but still short review about this show, I'm going to mention that it was horrible what I went through. I now know why I've always avoided Headliners, they cater to the scene kids, that is all they worry about. So now we're off.

The Plot In You - Local band, I thought there were actually alright. Not my style of music though. The came onstage and had a little bit of energy, didn't really get anyone moving though.

Vivian Banks - Another local band, this one I've seen a few times. I think this time was better than any other time I've seen them, even though I still didn't know any of their songs.

I Declare War - This was the first major annoying piece of shit to play this tour. They came onstage looking like douchebags, and sure enough they opened with a bassdrop and a retarded glare across the crowd. As soon as the vocalist walk up to the crowd, he spits straight into the crowd. I was annoyed, but had seen other bands do this, and it seems to feed their ego. I was content just sitting there for their set and waiting for it to finish. Then, about 30 seconds into the first song, and after about 4 bassdrops, he spits directly into the crowd again. I'm not talking about "Oh take a drink of water, and spit it up." I'm talking about hocks a lugy in a downward path aimed towards the crowd. Once again, I'm pissed but just chilling. Next song, more bassdrops every few seconds, and the scene seem like they're getting off to this. Motherfucker spits directly at us again, and I just flick him off. At the end of the song, I shout "Lets hear another goddamn bassdrop," and nothing happens. Sure enough, next song, more bassdrops. It's at this point that I'm just staring at the vocalist making eye contact at every chance. He spits into the crowd yet again, and I flick him off and shout "Fuck you." At the end of this song, he goes "What we're doing up here isn't easy, so shut up or sit back." Now I'm not sure if he heard me, but I in return said "Bassdrops and spitting on the crowd, that's hard shit" The highlight of the set was one his mic was cut off, and I couldn't hear him anymore. Instead he walked around onstage like a hardass pointing at the crowd. Finally the set was over, I flicked him off one more time and they left. I thought Suicide Silence was the worst band I had seen, but I am relatively sure that after last night, they took that position.

Oceano - Black buy was cool. More hardcore dancing as expected, and a crowd I am not used to being in. Wasn't a fan of them, but they were definitely an improvement over the last band.

Miss May I - I had never really given this band an opportunity until about a week before the show. I listened to their last ablum and though it was suprisingly okay. When they came onstage, it was quite a bit different. I actually thought they were really good and great with getting the crowd involved. The crowd was absolutely crazy for them, and they were the only band that was more metalcore than deathcore on the lineup. I don't really see myself listening to them on album, because the clean singers voice annoys me, but I'll gladly watch them if they are ever on a tour I'm going to.

Impending Doom - After Miss May I went offstage, I was dead tired and dehydrated, but I was determined to stay up front. The friends I came with bailed, so I was stuck up one behind the rail by myself. After an impossibly long stage setup, the christian band came on. Crowd wasn't nearly as bad, which was good because I was able to just sit there for awhile and not tire myself out anymore. They weren't bad at all, but I don't see myself going out and buying their album, or looking for them on another tour in the future. At the end of the set, the vocalist goes "I don't if you hate me, my band, or our beliefs, thanks for coming out." I thought that was pretty cool, mainly because Whitechapel was next.

Whitechapel - Sure, there will be impending facepalms for this one, but I do not care. I've wanted to see Whitechapel headline for quite some time now, and I was excited that the moment was finally here. I was able to catch a water bottle and drink about half before passing it...but that didn't do much but tease me and show me how good water feels. I'm starting think how long I should stay up front for, or if I should just stick it our for the whole set. I knew the set coming in - which was dominated by New Era - and figured I could drop back after Exile and right before Prostatic. I ended up sticking it out the whole way, partly because it was just great, and partly because I wanted to get something. Anyway, they come out with Murder Sermon, good opener, but I feel the best opening they've had was playing part of Legions and then going directly into Darkest Day of Man. After Murder Sermon, I was feeling better, not thinking about being dehydrated or anything. I was into it, and so was the crowd. I may be a bit hypocritical about the bassdrops thing with I Declare War, because Whitechapel had quite a few of their own, but nothing like 6 in every song. I was let down by the fact that they once again weren't playing Messiahbolical, but I guess it didn't hurt too bad. One of my favorite crowd involved lines was during Vicer Exciser when directly on cue, everyone shouts "YOU WILL NEVER FUCK AGAIN." Overall, I think they delivered as a headliner, and I can't wait until next time around.
    image Photobucket
  • NolaFree810NolaFree810 Posts: 36,796 moneytalker
    Saw GWAR about 9 days ago, Mobile Deathcamp was awesome as was the other opening act. Casualties I stll classify a weird band to open but they were incredible. Knew every song, loved their set. GWAR is not my style music wise and I honestly still think they suck, but their stage show is awesome. Blood, piss, cum, vomit. Good shit, too bad the music sucked in my opinion.
    its not just your opinion, GWAR's music is absolutely terrible