Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Concert Review Thread

Comments

• drinkwine732drinkwine732 Posts: 20,418 destroyer of motherfuckers
    I've told you many times before. Old Maiden > New Maiden
    That statement is true, although it is because of the strength of their old material, not the weakness of their new material. To say they haven't done anything good since 7th Son is ridiculous.
    My Top Albumsidrinkwine732's Profile Page
  • NOCAPNOCAP Posts: 37,281 mod
    I can't listen to any Maiden after 7th. The Final Frontier proved that.

• JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,722 mod
    Find me an Iron Maiden song sonically heavier than the first two minutes of Brighter than a Thousand Suns.
    *cries that they dropped that song from the setlist after the Dallas show*
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
  • SantanaSantana Posts: 16,743 juggalo
    I've told you many times before. Old Maiden > New Maiden
    That statement is true, although it is because of the strength of their old material, not the weakness of their new material. To say they haven't done anything good since 7th Son is ridiculous.
    I say New Maiden=Old Maiden
    The only one I say truly measures up to their old material is Brave New World.
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    The only one I say truly measures up to their old material is Brave New World.
    Ehhhh I liked The Final Frontier more than Brave New World but I still say Old Maiden=New Maiden
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    Ehhhh I liked The Final Frontier more than Brave New World
    Eeehhhhhhh
  • NOLANOLA Posts: 6,353 jayfacer
    Ehhhh I liked The Final Frontier more than Brave New World
    Eeehhhhhhh
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,722 mod
    Ehhhh I liked The Final Frontier more than Brave New World but I still say Old Maiden=New Maiden
    Whoa whoa WHOA. Let's not get carried away. The Final Frontier, while excellent, has got nothing on The Wicker Man and Ghost of the Navigator alone. ;)
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
    I see your point. It's hard to say because The Final Frontier is a really complex album....I think that's part of the reason I'm giving it the edge, because of how well the songs progress...It's going to take awhile before I can give it the official yea or nay
  • Its_Meh_ChewIts_Meh_Chew Posts: 7,380 just the tip
    this was the free show at power plant live. Outside of the fact that the sound kinda sucked cause unless you were way in the back, you couldn't really hear or understand any of the vocals (they had the speakers that the mic comes out of all the way on the far left and right sides, so unless you had super hearing, you prob didn't hear much.
    Here's Flyleaf's set
    1. Fully Alive
    2. Beautiful Bride
    3. Alive
    4. Again
    5. Cassie
    6. All Around Me
    7. Chasm
    8. Swept Away
    9. I'm So Sick
    10. Arise
    11. How He Loves Us (cover

Buckcherry

1.Talk to Me
    2.Fallout
    3.All Night Long
    4.Everything
    5.Rescue Me
    6.Next 2 You
    7.Lit Up
    8.For the Movies
    9.It's a Party
    10.Dirty Mind
    11.Highway Star (Deep Purple cover)
    12.Sorry
    13.Crazy Bitch
    Encore:
    14.Our World

Oh and one more thing too, prior to flyleaf taking the stage, there was this idiot in a wheel chair and his girlfriend pushing through the crowd to try to get up front. When nobody budged, she called everyone an asshole and kept hitting me with a drum stick to try to get me to move. If they had gotten there when everyone did on the rail, he'd be more then welcome.

Also another thing (sorry if this review comes off more as a rant then anything), IDK what the deal with the security was but after about say 4 songs into buckcherrys set (there had been sporatic crowd surfers through out the night). Security was actually throwing surfters back over the guardrail, and when people insisted on pushing them over, security would throw em back, and then try their best to yell at them over the loud music.

Anyways, would def see both bands again in a better venue (show was outdoors)

Oh and i was on TV too. I brought a sign that said Go Ravens and held it up and it got on since i was on the right side of Gerry Sandusky.
  • OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy
    Uproar is next week.

It's going to be so epic... gonna end up getting setlists from all the bands with luck.
    I love winning with women
  • Its_Meh_ChewIts_Meh_Chew Posts: 7,380 just the tip
    Uproar is next week.

It's going to be so epic... gonna end up getting setlists from all the bands with luck.
    aren't all the setlists up anyways? Unless you get the actual piece of paper with them written down
  • OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy
    That's what I mean.
    I love winning with women
    In order for me to accurately tell you what I went through today, and why Sleep's performance is one of the more memorable shows I will ever have, I have to start off with something completely different. I love football. When I'm not watching football, I'm thinking about football, and when I'm not thinking about football, I'm wishing I was. I'm naturally very excited for the 49ers this year, as this is the first year where they have the talent, schedule, ability and every expectation to win the NFC West. I was nervous about this week's game against the Seahawks going into it, as the 49ers lost at Qwest last year, and two rookies on the line are going to rack up some penalties. To sum up the day, Crabtree couldn't catch a cold, Smith was inaccurate and trying too hard, and Frank Gore just couldn't run shit. It was a long day, and for the lack of a better phrase, I was heartbroken. Absolutely crushed. But the whole afternoon I knew I was about to see the best stoner metal band in history.

I ate some ribs this afternoon, courtesy of an excellent barbecuer, although they were slightly undercooked and the cow could have used some time on the treadmill, it was alright. I am about to see the best stoner metal band in history. I got off to a late start, leaving at 6:15 when I was hoping to leave about half an hour earlier. It's alright, I'm about to see the best stoner metal band in history. The parking garage I was planning on going to was closed. It's alright, I'm about to see the best stoner metal band in history. After frantically finding a parking spot, I got into the venue at about 7:20ish. I noticed they were sold out of the most badass looking shirt. Tour dates and all, with a killer design on the front. I got a shirt anyway, and a poster also, but both combined to be 55 bucks. It's alright, I'm about to see the best stoner metal band in history. I watched the one man drone act Thrones set up and then barrage me with boredom, and narcolepsy. It's alright, I'm about to see the best stoner metal band in history. Thrones (why even have it be plural if it's one dude?) left the stage around 8:30, and the road crew set up incredibly quick. Sleep didn't hit the stage until 9:30, but it was alright. I was seeing the best stoner metal band in history.

The iconic Bay Area three piece took the stage, standing perfectly still, all three of them. No instruments, nothing, except the sound of a roaring yet very confused crowd of high people. Then, an astronaut bounded onto the stage, with a bass and guitar in each hand. After slowly walking to Al and Matt, the astronaut gave them both their instruments. Looking bewildered and clearly lifted, Matt played the chord. The perfect chord, to begin Dopesmoker. I then took part in the passing of at least six joints, all of which filled with some of the worst schwag I have ever had, but it was worth it. It was excellent, because the Sleep set had begun.

Now, I'm not going to rehash at you my experiences during each of these songs, but I will say that they were all performed excellently. I will never tire of hearing Dopesmoker, and as I write this review, I am listening to it. For any who believe that it is unnecessarily long or boring, you can fuck yourself. This is about as good as it gets. Hearing my favorite Sleep album in it's (near) entirety was god damn amazing. The level of atmosphere they get on stage, the absolute heaviness in their live tone and sound, and their chemistry on stage is staggering. I can't be the only one who believes that tomorrow night is not Sleep's last show, because they're too good to let it end without a proper farewell.

I snapped some excellent photos, which I will give you all tomorrow, as well as a video of Sleep performing The Druid. Quality's pretty damn good too.

Sleep: 10/10

It's a shame I had to see these guys in the same year as Iron Maiden, because they deserve the #1 spot just as much as they do.
  • BrianBrian Posts: 17,611 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Fine use of repetition, my good man.

Awesome review, glad you saw the greatest stoner metal band of all time.
    nike Pictures, Images and PhotosTUPAC IS DEAD/THE LEGEND IS GONE/THEY SAYIN TUPAC'S BACK?/DEM NIGGAS WRONG
    I liked that repetition too. It was like reading a short story or free write poem
  • AdamAdam Posts: 11,533 balls deep
    i fucking love that review. great band listening to them right now.
    edited September 2010

In order for me to accurately tell you what I went through today, and why Sleep's performance is one of the more memorable shows I will ever have, I have to start off with something completely different. I love football. When I'm not watching football, I'm thinking about football, and when I'm not thinking about football, I'm wishing I was. I'm naturally very excited for the 49ers this year, as this is the first year where they have the talent, schedule, ability and every expectation to win the NFC West. I was nervous about this week's game against the Seahawks going into it, as the 49ers lost at Qwest last year, and two rookies on the line are going to rack up some penalties. To sum up the day, Crabtree couldn't catch a cold, Smith was inaccurate and trying too hard, and Frank Gore just couldn't run shit. It was a long day, and for the lack of a better phrase, I was heartbroken. Absolutely crushed. But the whole afternoon I knew I was about to see the best stoner metal band in history.

I ate some ribs this afternoon, courtesy of an excellent barbecuer, although they were slightly undercooked and the cow could have used some time on the treadmill, it was alright. I am about to see the best stoner metal band in history. I got off to a late start, leaving at 6:15 when I was hoping to leave about half an hour earlier. It's alright, I'm about to see the best stoner metal band in history. The parking garage I was planning on going to was closed. It's alright, I'm about to see the best stoner metal band in history. After frantically finding a parking spot, I got into the venue at about 7:20ish. I noticed they were sold out of the most badass looking shirt. Tour dates and all, with a killer design on the front. I got a shirt anyway, and a poster also, but both combined to be 55 bucks. It's alright, I'm about to see the best stoner metal band in history. I watched the one man drone act Thrones set up and then barrage me with boredom, and narcolepsy. It's alright, I'm about to see the best stoner metal band in history. Thrones (why even have it be plural if it's one dude?) left the stage around 8:30, and the road crew set up incredibly quick. Sleep didn't hit the stage until 9:30, but it was alright. I was seeing the best stoner metal band in history.

The iconic Bay Area three piece took the stage, standing perfectly still, all three of them. No instruments, nothing, except the sound of a roaring yet very confused crowd of high people. Then, an astronaut bounded onto the stage, with a bass and guitar in each hand. After slowly walking to Al and Matt, the astronaut gave them both their instruments. Looking bewildered and clearly lifted, Matt played the chord. The perfect chord, to begin Dopesmoker. I then took part in the passing of at least six joints, all of which filled with some of the worst schwag I have ever had, but it was worth it. It was excellent, because the Sleep set had begun.

Now, I'm not going to rehash at you my experiences during each of these songs, but I will say that they were all performed excellently. I will never tire of hearing Dopesmoker, and as I write this review, I am listening to it. For any who believe that it is unnecessarily long or boring, you can fuck yourself. This is about as good as it gets. Hearing my favorite Sleep album in it's (near) entirety was god damn amazing. The level of atmosphere they get on stage, the absolute heaviness in their live tone and sound, and their chemistry on stage is staggering. I can't be the only one who believes that tomorrow night is not Sleep's last show, because they're too good to let it end without a proper farewell.

Sleep: 10/10

It's a shame I had to see these guys in the same year as Iron Maiden, because they deserve the #1 spot just as much as they do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4k3UsmEGN8

Repost for the new page with video