Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Concert Review Thread

Comments

• FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    American Carnage - August 25h - Denver, Colorado

As far as merch goes, I got the Testament Souls Of Black flag/tapestry thing for 25 bucks. Shirts were 35-40, which I think is ridiculous. There were also no American Carnage tour shirts.

In my review I would like to give a little advice: DONT try to create a giant scheme on how to sneak 6 people onto the GA floor when you are stoned.

Testament: After smoking a few blunts with the group, we headed into the venue about 20 minutes before Testament started. We had 2 GA tickets, and 4 seat ones. The ticket got marked and you got a bright orange wristband when you entered the floor. Long story short, I spent the majority of Testament's set trying to find a way onto the floor. I heard some songs from my seat, some from the hallway, and some from the floor. So I wont give them a score, but from what I could tell the sound quality was shit. But that is to be expected from an opening band. Performance wise, Chuck Billy and crew sounded very good. I cant wait to see them headlining in a small club, where I dont have to worry about sneaking in.

More Than Meets The Eye
    Dog Faced Gods
    The New Order
    Trial By Fire
    The Persecuted Won't Forget
    D.N.R
    3 Days In Darkness
    The Formation of Damnation

Megadeth: After a short wait, Megadeth started. Now, I am not a huge fan. If I were to number the big 5 (Testament being the 5th) Megadeth would probably be last. But, I have to admit, the were probably the tightest, musically, of all 3 bands. The solos were some of the most spot on of any band I have seen. Seeing Rust In Peace in it's entirety was definitely an experience. My only problem was Mustaine's vocals. Anyone who says there isnt a problem with them is fucking deaf. Some songs, like Symphony Of Destruction, he sounded flawless. But the first 3-4 songs he sounded terrible, with traces of it in songs throughout the set. I dont know if his voice has gone out, but it is definitely something of note. I am kind of torn when it comes to their performance. It had epic moments, but it had subpar ones as well. Overall 8.5/10

Holy Wars...The Punishment Due
    Hangar 18
    Take No Prisoners
    Five Magics
    Poison Was the Cure
    Lucretia
    Tornado of Souls
    Dawn Patrol
    Rust in Peace...Polaris/Trust
    ---------
    Head Crusher
    A Tout Le Monde
    Symphony of Destruction
    Peace Sells
    Holy Wars Reprise

Slayer: This was my 5th time seeing Slayer, and easily the best. They were on point all night, and this is by far their best (or perhaps just their most refreshing) setlist in years. I went nuts during Skeletons of Society and Aggressive Perfector. My only complaint is that the tempo kind of slowed down during Temptation and Seasons In The Abyss. Anyway, the crowd absolutely exploded during Angel of Death. The pit was literally side to side along the venue. I had fun knocking down a few drunk Slayer fans. 9/10

World Painted Blood
    Hate Worldwide
    War Ensemble
    Blood Red
    Spirit in Black
    Expendable Youth
    Dead Skin Mask
    Hallowed Point
    Skeletons of Society
    Temptation
    Born of Fire
    Seasons in the Abyss
    ------------
    South of Heaven
    Raining Blood/Aggressive Perfector
    Angel of Death
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,722 mod
    edited August 2010
    Call me deaf then. Mustaine's vocals were fine when I saw them. The only exception I would say would be Take No Prisoners, but all the other songs where he needed to go high, like Holy Wars or Tornado of Souls, he was fine. I guess if you're not big on them, you're more critical of the vox. *shrugs*

How far were you from the stage? Good review.
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
  • SGNL_05SGNL_05 Posts: 3,501 just the tip
    Mustaine will be at some book store in Tempe Az signing his book
    Call me deaf then. Mustaine's vocals were fine when I saw them. The only exception I would say would be Take No Prisoners, but all the other songs where he needed to go high, like Holy Wars or Tornado of Souls, he was fine. I guess if you're not big on them, you're more critical of the vox. *shrugs*

How far were you from the stage? Good review.
    Idk. I'm probably being too harsh on him. But to be honest, Megadeth impressed me tons more than I expected. I guess it's kind of like James Hetfield's vocals. Love em or hate em. They'll probably grow on me. I was near the middle. I know this isnt a universal thing, but where a pit normally ends up being on a GA floor, I was right behind the pit.
    Mustaine will be at some book store in Tempe Az signing his book
    Yeah he is doing that everywhere. You can buy his book autographed at the show.
  • SGNL_05SGNL_05 Posts: 3,501 just the tip
    I was pretty sure hes doing that everywhere...
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,722 mod
    I know this isnt a universal thing, but where a pit normally ends up being on a GA floor, I was right behind the pit.
    You were in a good spot for Slayer's set then. I was on the left side and I could barely hear Kerry's guitar, which I suppose isn't a bad thing. <_>
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
    <_>

Oh and Chris Broderick is a fucking beast.
  • Ezkaton2000Ezkaton2000 Posts: 440 salt miner
    American Carnage- August 27th, Phoenix, AZ

I was expecting a lot from this show and needless to say that it delievered.

Testament was awesome. Chuck Billy has such a powerful voice live and Paul Bostaph is a beast. Easily one of the most underrated bands in all of metal.
    Set list was the same as above. Chuck got the pit to attempt a wall of death, yet it was pretty weak as not a lot of people participated or probably knew what the hell was going on.

Megadeth came on and went right into playing Rust In Piece. The band sounding amazing, Chris Broderick is a great guitar player, Mustaine was hitting the solos and it was great to see Ellefson back in Megadeth. Drover sounded tight as well.

Now onto Dave's vocals. He sounds awesome on newer tunes or slower tunes i.e. Trust, A Tout Le Monde, Headcrusher. However on the Rust In Piece material he goes into this weird falsetto which doesn't go with the music at all, at times he will go into the gravelly voice he is known for but most of the time he sings in that falsetto. Regardless I still enjoyed there set and it was awesome to see them live.

Slayer easily stole the show. Seasons in its entirety was amazing to hear. The band sounded tight, Tom's voice sounded rejuvenated after the time off and the were simply stellar.

Great show, great night, fun times!

However on the Rust In Piece material he goes into this weird falsetto which doesn't go with the music at all, at times he will go into the gravelly voice he is known for but most of the time he sings in that falsetto.
    THANK YOU!!!!!
  • OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy
    Glad you enjoyed it. I decided against it, but only because no pit was available.
    I love winning with women
  • BrianBrian Posts: 17,611 destroyer of motherfuckers
    I forgot to add, Exodus played Fabulous Disaster. I just remembered today lol
    nike Pictures, Images and PhotosTUPAC IS DEAD/THE LEGEND IS GONE/THEY SAYIN TUPAC'S BACK?/DEM NIGGAS WRONG
    I would love to see Exodus at least once.
  • SantanaSantana Posts: 16,743 juggalo
  • BrianBrian Posts: 17,611 destroyer of motherfuckers
    They tour all the time, just go and see them. This shit ain't comp yo
    nike Pictures, Images and PhotosTUPAC IS DEAD/THE LEGEND IS GONE/THEY SAYIN TUPAC'S BACK?/DEM NIGGAS WRONG
    I lol'd at "comp yo"
    edited September 2010
    Last time they were here I was out of state....They are coming to Tucson...but Tucson is a fucking hell hole that I refuse to go to, I'll catch them next time they come to Phoenix.
  • OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy
    Last time they were here I was out of state....They are coming to Tucson...but Tucson is a fucking hell hole that I refuse to go to, I'll catch them next time they come to Phoenix.
    I only go to Tucson when I REALLY REALLY need to as well. lol
    I love winning with women
    Hell hole as in there's nothing there?
    There is shit to do...but the town and the people are just....not pleasant, at least to me.
    They tend to get a lot of good shows which pisses me off.