Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Concert Review Thread

Comments

• GazorpazorpfieldGazorpazorpfield Posts: 22,293 master of ceremonies
    The Killers
    Caesars Windsor

Much like the last show. We got almost exactly the same set minus the Joy Division cover and we got Jenny Was A Friend of Mine instead of Flesh and Bone. Kinda disapointed because they were switching about 10 different songs through then tour. Just luck of the draw. They do a cover inspired by the local area or artists from the area at every show. When we got that point Brandon goes "I didn't know anybody from Windsor, but across the river...there's a lot. Here's something" at which point they played Night Moves. Solid show.
    image Photobucket
  • OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy
    Intronaut/Vattnet Viskar
    9/12/13

incredible show and a great time with friends and familiar faces. got white girl wasted too \m/

vatnett viskar - pretty damn cool. they played a solid set, and while I dont know much of their material, the sound was great and they were very focused throughout. 8/10

intronaut -- still one of the best fucking bands out there. they amped up the lasers and fog at least twice as much as last time. I lost my shit grooving pretty much the whole set. joe and his tone, man. fucking beautiful. the set seemed really short, but its probably because I was so into it. also why Im missing a few songs from the set. no literal this time around, but I finally got to hear milk leg live and they brought back any port as the closer \m/ \m/ \m/ ^:)^ ^:)^ 10/10

milk leg
    above
    steps
    cavernous den of shame
    harmonomicon
    any port
    I love winning with women
    via the band via sacha via some person:

thats actually me second from the right

a few I took:

imageimageimage
  • BrianBrian Posts: 17,611 destroyer of motherfuckers
    I saw Infest twice today

#YOLT
    nike Pictures, Images and PhotosTUPAC IS DEAD/THE LEGEND IS GONE/THEY SAYIN TUPAC'S BACK?/DEM NIGGAS WRONG
  • MenAreTrashMenAreTrash Posts: 27,667 spicy boy
    Agalloch -- Oakland, CA - September 14th, 2013

First band of the night were bay area funeral doomsters, Lycus. This was my second time seeing them and I'm still very impressed with the band. I almost feel they kind of stole the show. They get really good tones live and the music just sounds amazing. Only bummer was that none of the vocals were really audible from right up front. They just played Tempest in it's entirety and brought out a violinist for the title-track. That was a really cool addition. Overall Lycus put on a great opening set.

Lycus
    Coma Burn
    Engravings
    Tempest

Next up was Worm Ouroboros. I was pretty excited to see them again and glad I got to see them before Stella Natura, because if there are some time conflicts with groups I really like seeing Worm now makes up for it if I have to miss them at Stella Natura. The band sounded really great. They mainly stuck to material from Come The Thaw and ended the set with a new tune. Right before the set one of the dudes from Lycus gave the band a bottle of wine, so the front women from Worm were sipping on wine from plastic cups between songs . During the first song I couldn't hear the guitarist's vocals but they fixed that problem after that so it was mostly smooth sailing sound wise for their set. The band puts on a really great set and sets up a great atmosphere with all the light they put on the mic stands and the candles they got around the stage. Makes for a very intimate feel. Although I would've liked them to play a jam from the self-titled, I was really pleased with Worm and am hoping to see them again at Stella Natura

Worm Ouroboros
    Ruined Ground
    When We Are Gold
    Withered
    new song

Last up were Agalloch. Since Worm and Agalloch share drummers the set up time inbetween bands was only like 20 minutes or so. Most of that time was spent with John Haughm setting up tree stumps and incense all over the front of the stage. The band started with Limbs which is always a treat. But from the start there was something a bit off with the sound. It could be because I was right up front, but the bass was way to loud and frankly the dude's tone didn't fit with the music. It sounded like a mix between a picked punk rock tone and kind of slap bass thing. Way too much presence in his tone. It cut into being able to hear Don. Other than that the band sounded pretty good, but I was disappointed that they didn't play any material from The Mantle. That's recently become my favorite from them so I was hoping to hear to something form that. Also, people need to stop thinking it's a good idea to mosh to Agalloch. It's not. Stop it. Other than that, I did enjoy the show quite a bit and it was awesome to hear favorites from Ashes and such, but this was probably my least favorite time seeing them. My pal talked to John and Don after the show and they said something about going into the studio in December, so we may be getting some new Agalloch material in 2014!

Agalloch
    Limbs
    Ghosts of Midwinter Fires
    Falling Snow
    Watcher's Monolith
    Hallways of Enchanted Ebony
    The Melancholy Spirit
    Into the Painted Grey
    -------
    Of Stone, Wind, and Pillor
    Bloodbirds
    If anybody wants to read about my experience at Stella Natura, here's a link to my review

http://metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?p=542035#post542035

Thanks in advance for reading.
    Im sad for you that you didnt catch these guys. I was chilling with my friend in his backyard by the lake the other night and he showed me these dudes because we got into talking about how a few of our friends were at stella. such dark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv5t7Y4tJik
    I'm not too into drone/noise, but that was probably the band that kept me up after Ash Borer. It sounded good.
    oh man, I could listen to some drone all day (in the right mindstate, of course). Id really hope theyd get a pure drone/doom artist to play. shit like or sunn or ginnungagap or just something o'mally does would be fucking sweet too.
  • MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,706 spicy boy

If anybody wants to read about my experience at Stella Natura, here's a link to my review

http://metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?p=542035#post542035

Thanks in advance for reading.

I just realized Kinit Her played this.
    Do You Like Hurting Other People?
    Deafheaven -- San Jose, CA -- September 27th, 2013
    When I heard Deafheaven were a part of the inaugural C2SV festival in downtown San Jose, I knew I had to go. Fortunately there are enough awesome bands to make justify the price of the 4 day wristband, but this show was definitely worth at least half of that. The show was held at the San Jose Rock Shop, which is an awesome new place that opened up in downtown San Jose fairly recently and is doing its best effort to bring back music to all ages in San Jose. Me and my friend Castro got to the venue about 20 minutes before the show was supposed to start and went straight into the venue with our wristbands. We were the first people in the venue and it didn't really start to fill 'til the first band went on at 8:30, when they were supposed to go on at 8. Me and my pal chatted for bit as the new Drake album was playing over the PA, courtesy of Kerry McCoy. After a bit, the opening band got on stage and started their set.

Said first band of the night were San Jose locals, Amonie. Amonie are an instrumental 4 piece post-metal/rock band that was kind of like Explosions In the Sky meets Light Bearer. These guys weren't doing anything that was out-of-the-box but they had a great sound and knew how to write some awesome builds and climaxes. Something I also liked is they didn't really leave people the opportunity to clap more than twice. They went right from one piece to another making it really fluid, almost as if each song was just one movement in a grander, encapsulating piece. They set some vibes that were very fitting for a Deafheaven show and I'm glad I got to see them, since I don't think they're that active of a band. Overall, solid opening set.

After Amonie got off stage, I went right up to the stage and set my position for the rest of the show. A pal of mine came through to this show so I chatted with him while Deafheaven were setting up. After about 10-15 minutes, the band set their pre-show drone and the lights dimmed. Soon after the band got back on stage and I prepped myself for yet another amazing set.

I wasn't sure what to expect from this crowd. The first time I saw Deafheaven the crowd, opening for Boris, it was a pretty typical hipster crowd that just stood there and took the music in, which I like for this kind of music. But the second time I saw them the crowd went absolutely ballistic the whole time, which I was fine with too, but I prefer the calmer crowd. So when Deafheaven started into the opening chords of Dream House, I just kind of braced myself to see if anything would happen. Nothing much happened, so I just assumed the crowd was cool and continued to do my thang and get #turntup for Deafheaven. I was the only dude near the front of the stage who was moving with the music and head banging for most the show, so I knew this crowd was more like the Boris show, which was cool because my limbs weren't gonna get crushed, but kind of weird because I was the only dude who screamed along for the ends of Dream House and Sunbather. That felt kind of weird. Either way, it was nice to know I could enjoy the band's set with worrying about my glasses. The band sounded absolutely great again. There were a few times I couldn't hear George, but those moment were far and in between. Dream House is always an absolute pleasure to hear live and when they played Irresistible over the PA, my friend pointed out that it was in a different key. I thought that was interesting. Sunbather was awesome, and during the end refrain, George noticed I was the only dude screaming along, so he got close, grabbed my throat and put the mic in my face. That was the first time I ever had a mic in my face, so I'm really glad I knew the lyrics. Just wish my scream was as trv and grim. Hearing Vertigo live was awesome. The part with the e-bow is absolutely beautiful. During the blast beat part that comes around the 8-minute mark, Kerry's pedal board cut out for a sec, but they fixed it promptly. The rest of the tune sounded absolutely awesome live and ending was mesmerizing. After that tune George tried saying his "thanks, we're Deafheaven from San Francisco, this is our last song", but the mic didn't work for that split moment in time. So they just went straight into The Pecan Tree. During the clean part before the climax George said his thank you and that it was their last song. I think that struck a cord with some people because during the refrain at the end of the tune, a handful of people including myself started screaming along with George. George fed of this and got super closer to everybody and put the mic in my face again. He also felt up the fro. Ain't nobody that can resist these luscious locks. For the second go around of the refrain George got into the crowd and it go super intimate. It was an awesome way to end the set. After the tune came to a close, the band got off the stage and I was expecting an encore but they didn't get one I guess. Kind of a bummer because I'd have liked to have heard at least one track from Roads to Judah but it's all good. Deafheaven killed it yet again.

Deafheaven
    Dream House
    Irresistible *over PA*
    Sunbather
    *Please Remember *over PA*
    Vertigo
    The Pecan Tree

After the show I got a copy of Sunbather on vinyl and talked to George for a bit outside. I'm hoping they come back next year. He said they've got a lot of touring planned.

Amonie: 7/10
    Deafheaven: 10/10
  • ...... Posts: 31,548 master of ceremonies
    FL [-O<
    inb4lists
  • FLATFLAT Posts: 60,664 spicy boy
    Battlecross - decent i guess. 4/10

Acacia - went pretty fucking hard but hxc dancers all need to cut their wrist vertically next time and kill themselves. The impaler was the best song of the night. Caught a stick 8/10

Shadows fall - alright6/10

Hatebreed- fifth time seeing them and they slayed. Best time i seent em, finally saw doomsayer said they only had one more and played i will be heard and then kicked it destroy everything to end it so that was a good surprise. Shit went hard. 9.5/10
    Battlecross > the other bands
    inb4lists
  • FLATFLAT Posts: 60,664 spicy boy
    Kill yourselves.
    TAS suck, SF and HB are meh.

inb4lists
  • Razor_SharkRazor_Shark Posts: 12,604 balls deep
    Ya but Hatebreed is one of the best live bands out there today
  • Razor_SharkRazor_Shark Posts: 12,604 balls deep

:-j

I don't care for their music but if you can't enjoy them live then I honestly feel bad for you son