Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Concert Review Thread

Comments

• MarcTheFallenMarcTheFallen Posts: 26,661 master of ceremonies
    edited August 2013
    Making this short and sweet.

All Stars Tour - San Antonio TX - 8/9/2013

Didn't care about the whole line up but just the last 5 bands pretty much. Went to my bosses house to pick up my free swag she hooked me up with. A ETID shirt, 2 Terror albums, and a Veil of Maya album. Shit was sweet B-) but that caused me to miss Stray From The Path :(

Arrived at the venue in time right when Terror took the stage \m/

Terror-Terror was fucking sick. Love their high energy and music. Hated that there was a barrier in the way but that didnt stop people from getting on the stage and singing with them and stage diving. Security was getting pissed that people were climbing on the polls and jumping off :)) Saw this one kid just standing in the pit all chill and got clocked hard by a ninja =)) dude broke his glasses in half and was bleeding. Shit was funny. 7/10

Veil of Maya-They were good and fuck you. 7/10

Chelsea Grinn-sealgay.jpg 0/10

Every Time I Die- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fipQisc68dQ

Dudes face on this pic cracks me up =))

Hot Damn! In it's entirety was pretty awesome and I got 2 picks and got to meet Andy Williams(ETID guitarist) and talked to him for awhile.
  • FLATFLAT Posts: 60,664 spicy boy
    amd thats why hardcore dancers can kill themselves
    im not one to fight in the pit but if i get hit like that by one ill be sneaking his jaw
  • NolaFree810NolaFree810 Posts: 36,796 moneytalker
    So alice in chains were pretty amazing.. Wish I hAd a j but no luck.. They sounded great played a decent set and even the new shit sounded good.. Would def see them again.. Janes addiction was pretty cool too glad I finally got to see them.. We were def parking lot Mvp's this show haha I got this national guard chick, in uniform and everything to take a big hit from my jäger bottle.. I def thought shed say no but she manned up and did it and all she wanted was my email haha fuck joining the national guard I'd rather jerk skully off.. Then this dude tried selling us his cd for five bucks.. Told him he had to sing a song for me to buy it.. He said no so I said he had to chug a beer and I'd buy it.. This kid struggled like hell to get it down it was funny shit.. He had that puke look on his face haha I got my pussy friend so drunk he had to leave after coheed hahaha good times
  • OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy
    NolaMetal said:

fuck joining the national guard I'd rather jerk skully off

:))
    I love winning with women
    cigs [-X

also stone is so heavy live
    Show up drunk and threat signal was playing they were aight

Went to the bar during the browning

Chimaira was cool. Setlist was good they played dehumanzing process this time so that was cool. Crowd surfed up on stage during it and mark was like get the fuck off the stage kid so i lold and stage dove. Good times had all around.
    Shoulda tied my shoes my ankles are fucking killing me.
    edited August 2013
    Baroness/Royal Thunder
    8/23/13

no local support, so the show got started at 8:30, providing enough time to drink and do shit prior...

Royal Thunder - I swear they get better every time I see them. played six songs, and the first half of the set was all new material, which sounds very promising. it's really dark and bassy, a lot of justin chancellor-esque moments thrown in there. cant wait for the next release. the other three songs were no good, whispering world, and blue (the end of which sounded a lot like schism live). I was speaking with josh afterward and he said they're opening the monster magnet show in november, which hasnt even been formally announced yet, so now that show got even better. 9/10

Baroness - they managed to top their meshuggah performance, and showed that they really are one of the most solid live bands around. they looked to be having a great time as well, and the turnout was very high for a club red show. people were having a blast and they could tell. played all the good ones off of yellow&green. only one Ive not been able to get into is eula but 0 because the rest of the set was badass af. 9/10
    show pic just posted by the band...

• ...... Posts: 31,548 master of ceremonies
    Baroness needs to come to FL, they haven't been here since their tour with Deftones a few years ago.
    inb4lists
    fuck it I might just sign in for class on tuesday and then bail for the tucson show...
  • ...... Posts: 31,548 master of ceremonies
    We arrived in Ybor City for the show around 4:30 because we were interviewing the lead vocalist for Fleshgod Apocalypse, who is one of the coolest guys I've ever interviewed. Interview went great, and when we were done, we went and got food and then I headed inside once the doors opened.

The first band of the night were locals Promethean Horde. I've been a fan of these guys for a while but was never able to see them, so I was glad they were added to the show. Promethean Horde are a symphonic blackened metal band, they have a very interested yet intense tone, and they definitely impressed the crowd, and impressed Wintersun in the process. They were a great way to start off the show.

Up next were the first band on the tour package, Starkill. I wasn't really sure what to expect with this band as I had only ever heard one song by them, but I was pleasantly surprised. Starkill to me are like a more improved version of Children Of Bodom, the got the crowd going pretty early and never let up. Starkill definitely won over the crowd, they even got an ovation for half the crowd after their set, they looked like kids in a candy shop after that. Starkill had also announced they were recently signed to Century Media, which makes sense, I have a feeling this band are going to be big soon.

Next were Arsis. There's not much I can say about Arsis other than they are one of the most spot on and extremely tight bands I've ever seen, and that James Malone is one of the best extreme metal vocalist/guitarists out there right now. I will definitely have to check this band out live again, hopefully with a longer set.

And now it was time for the band I was mainly there for, the mighty Fleshgod Apocalypse. I am a fan of classical music, and it was irritated me hearing all of these other bands trying to fuse together classical and extreme metal only to sound like complete garbage, but not Fleshgod, they are without a doubt the best band at doing it. Fleshgod Apocalypse blasted through their 50 minute set which really only felt like 10, and I loved every bit of it. Their pianist is without a doubt the most badass musician out there, getting up from his piano to give the crowd a death stare while throwing up the horns. And me being a drummer, it was an absolute pleasure getting to watch Francesco Paoli play live, and at the end of The Egoism he BROKE his foot pedal while playing, which is one of the most metal things I've ever seen. The high point of the entire show was watching them play The Forsaken, it was insanely heavy and intense, but beautiful at the same time. Fleshgod Apocalypse are in my opinion a must see band if you're even slightly a fan, they definitely stole the show.

And last but not least it was time for Wintersun. In blatant honesty I was at times slightly bored during their performance, they played their music nearly perfectly, but just something about watching them left me feeling slightly underwhelmed. But that's not to say the crowd didn't go crazy for them, a massive amount of the crowd were singing along to every word. The one thing I enjoyed most about their set was watching Jari play his solos, the guy is a phenomenal guitarist, as well as a vocalist.

All in all this was easily one of the two best concerts I've been to all year, every band are worth seeing live.
    ---

Wintersun

1)When Time Fades Away
    2)Sons Of Winter And Stars
    3)Land Of Snow And Sorrow
    4)Beautiful Death
    5)Darkness And Frost
    6)Time
    7)Death And The Healing
    8)Intro
    9)Winter Madness
    10)Beyond The Dark Sun
    11)The Way Of The Fire
    12)Starchild

Fleshgod Apocalypse

1)The Hypocrasy
    2)Minotaur (The Wrath Of Poseidon)
    3)The Deciet
    4)The Violation
    5)The Egoism
    6)Elegy
    7)The Forsaken

Arsis

1)Handbook For The Recently Deceased
    2)Maddening Disdain
    3)A Diamond For Disease
    4)Seven Whispers Fell Silent
    5)Unwelcome
    6)The Face Of My Innocence

Starkill

1)New Infernal Rebirth
    2)Immortal Hunt
    3)Fires Of Life
    4)Below The Darkest Depths
    5)Wash Away The Blood With Rain
    inb4lists
    oh yeah huh
    Truckfighters
    8/31/13

my friend and I left the valley around 640 in hopes of missing a couple local bands. made sure to feel good before I left, had great relaxing drive and listened to wavering radiant and yawning man on the way over. got there around 815 and no locals had even gone on yet t(-_-)t

dont remember most of the locals but none really stood out.

godhunter - third or forth time seeing them. theyre not bad, nothing gamechanging, but a good watch and a big name in the metal scene here. 7/10

truckfighters - fucking went on at 12:30am or something nuts like that. had to get drunk to pass the time and local acts. almost as bad of a schedule as yawning man who went on at midnight and played till 1, but at least this time I didnt have a five hour drive back. anyway they put on basically the most fun set Ive ever been a part of. opened with desert cruiser, which everyone seemingly knew. I know they played atomic and last curfew but outside of that I completely lost myself in the jams. a similar experience as when I saw baroness open for meshuggah and om back in february, major rock trance. 11/10

also got this sweet tour poster and had it signed by the dudes as well as two picks and a lighter that says "truckfighters: probably the best band in the world"

Desert cruiser is my fuckin jam \m/