Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Concert Review Thread

Comments

• FLATFLAT Posts: 60,664 spicy boy
    triggaplz said:

Tucson failed the wall of death for black label pretty hard...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baGhNZLFCR0

I was on the lefthand side of this video... all they did was merge and trip over each other into a dogpile #-o

oh nooooooooooooooooo some dude got leveled right before they ran =)) =)) that must have sucked
  • OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy
    there were at least ten people at the bottom of the piles unable to get up and security didn't do shit. I would have been panicking my ass off.
    I love winning with women
  • Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,593 spicy boy
    Been there...it sucks lol
    been there more times than i can count. its fine.
  • MenAreTrashMenAreTrash Posts: 27,667 spicy boy
    Nails -- Berkeley, CA -- June 7th, 2013

So, first act of the evening was Harm Wulf. He was a solo act and it was some singer/songwriter stuff. Odd way to start the show but I could dig it. The guitar work had some neo-folk sounds not unlike Agalloch so that was chill. Only thing I can really criticize is the fact that the dude couldn't really sing. Like at all. But whatever he only played like 4 tunes.

Next band was Living Eyes. They're a hardcore punk band from Oakland. They were pretty solid and had some cool moments that sounded sorta like Nails. A lot of really short metallic bursts.There were only a few slam dancers during their set but some dudes went hard. Overall they were pretty tight and it was obvious they were honored to share the stage with Nails. Cool stuff.

Next band was Palm from Japan. They were a really pleasant surprise. They played really cool hardcore with some sludge thrown in the mix and some of their riffs were pretty mathy and reminded me of Lethargy. It was during their set the crowd started getting real rowdy. There were circle pits and plenty of slam dancing and pushing and all of that. Despite having really broken English the singer had really great command of the crowd and was a enthusiastic showman. He was doing some masochistic stuff, beating the mic into his forehead and drawing blood. It was also super obvious they were psyched to be in the States touring with Nails. I think they said it was their first time over here. These guys were awesome. Check em out.

Next up was Power Trip. The crowd erupted and got buck nasty during their set. From the first sound of feedback people were going insane. There actually a few time some dudes in the crowd set off some fire crackers, which almost stopped the show. I thought it was a part of the band's act at first, until the venue gave a warning. The band themselves were solid. They sounded great and were all into it. I know it was a hardcore show, but Power Trip's sound is mostly thrash so it was still weird to see people slam dancing to that style of music. The band played a lot of material off their debut album Manifest Decimantion and it all sounded fairly solid. 

Next were Xibalba. I was surprised to see a few people took off after Power Trip but those who stayed still went hard. The band sounded tight and had some really great, gritty tones. The vocalist was giving in his full effort and was super appreciative of the crowd. Out of nowhere I noticed a scuffle between some people. I guess some drunk girl had had enough of the pit and lashed out on some dude. Some blood was drawn but I don't know on what end. That was kind of weird, but the show went on. Xibalba were a solid band. I may look into their album they released last year. 

Lastly were the almighty Nails! These guys were  absolutely great. Their sound was pretty badass, but I was expecting it to be a little louder. But even if it wasn't super loud it was just as abrasive as it is on record. Also the vocals were a lot more guttural live. Anyway, they played just about every song I wanted to hear off their two records so I can't complain at all. They were absolutely badass, just blazing through their set with raw, unrelenting energy. There was plenty of crowd interaction too. There were times the vocalist would hand the mic to people, even though he was playing guitar. These guys mean business, and you need to see em

(partial set, our of order)
    God's Cold Hands
    No Surrender
    In Exodus
    Traitor 
    Abandon All Life
    Cry Wolf
    Suum Cuique
    Absolute  Control
    Wide Open Wound
    Unsilent Death

After the show, me and my friend were walking to the car when we noticed Kerry McCoy from Deafheaven and a couple of his buddies were chilling in my friend's car. We got his attention and initially they were just like "my bad" and got off the car. Then  we complimented Kerry on Sunbather and he was like "That's hipster black metal. You guys are hipsters". Obviously he was kidding and a bit on the drunk side so we just kinda went with it and my friend was like "Dude you're in the band, you're the hipster" to which I added "yeah man, where's your scarff?" We all had chuckle and then he said that he really appreciates it then went on his merry way. It was a good way to end the evening.
  • BlindGuardian93BlindGuardian93 Posts: 4,988 jayfacer

lol the name of billie's video is "desolution" :))

Billy's* and i didnt film that lol but i noticed that too when watching it
    I've been lost in endless seas My heart died long ago I curse my failures as I fall from you
  • drinkwine732drinkwine732 Posts: 20,418 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Kerry McCoy broke into your friend's car?
    My Top Albumsidrinkwine732's Profile Page
  • MenAreTrashMenAreTrash Posts: 27,667 spicy boy
    Ooops. On*, not in.
    Log and decap killed \m/
  • ...... Posts: 31,548 master of ceremonies
    edited June 2013
    This was a special show, it was recorded and streamed online for everyone to see, and I think it will be made into a live DVD.
    --

Singod - I had never listened to this local band but I've always heard good things, to me they felt like a thrashy Killswitch Engage, and they were pretty cool, their guitarist is insanely talented, I'll have to check them out further - 7/10

Druid Lord - I interviewed 3/4 members of this band before the show and they're awesome dudes, to me their music is like a mix between St Vitus and Morbid Angel, good ol' doom-death metal, I loved the bluesy side their guitars brought a well, in my opinion one of the better FL locals out there, and I'm sure they'll get signed soon, check em' out! - 8/10

Obituary - I up until tonight had never seen any of the "classic" FL death metal bands (which is pathetic seeing as I've lived in FL my whole life), and I was ecstatic about finally getting to see my favorite death metal band (next to Death of course) live, and with a special set, from the second that Donald Tardy walked on stage through the final note of the outro, the entire crowd gave everything they had and Obituary gave it right back, I was also pleasantly surprised that Obituary are a little more melodic and sometimes thrashy live. They played their first THREE albums all in their entireties, which was a lengthy set to say the least, but they definitely proved they haven't lost anything in the past 20 years, they're definitely must see band I you're a fan of death metal. - 9.5/10

Managed to get the Druid Lord setlist and Terry Butler's guitar pick with the Obituary logo.
    ---

Obituary

1)Eternal Bleeding
    2)Godly Beings
    3)Till Death
    4)Immortal Visions
    5)Gates To Hell
    6)Words Of Evil
    7)Suffocation
    8)Intoxicated
    9)Deadly Intentions
    10)Bloodsoaked
    11)Stinkupuss
    12)Infected
    13)Body Bag
    14)Chopped In Half
    15)Circle Of The Tyrants (Celtic Frost cover)
    16)Dying
    17)Find The Arise
    18)Cause Of Death
    19)Memories Remain
    20)Turned Inside Out
    21)I'm In Pain
    22)Back To One
    23)Dead Silence
    24)In The End Of Life
    25)Sickness
    26)Corrosive
    27)Killing Time
    28)The End Complete
    29)Rotting Ways
    30)Slowly We Rot

Druid Lord

1)Chamber Of Ghastly Horror
    2)Curse Of the Skull
    3)Witchfinder
    4)Gorgon Witch
    5)Druid Death Cult
    6)Black Candle Séance
    7)Circle Of Vultures
    ---

Post edited by ... on
    inb4lists
    Got 4 picks to from campbell so i gave one to devin. Got a bass pick from decap and a pick from mark \m/ almost had one from willie and should have had a stick from decap :-L
  • GnomezGnomez Posts: 17,550 master of ceremonies
    Shoulda woulda coulda didn't
    Was there like no body at the show?
  • TiradesOfTruthTiradesOfTruth Posts: 8,055 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Dismemberment show fucking killed. You should definitely check them out if you are into Blackened Thrash. I was surprised though Dismemberment was billed as the headliner for as long as I could remember and they didn't even headline lol.
  • jagjag Posts: 5,033 destroyer of motherfuckers

Dismemberment show fucking killed. You should definitely check them out if you are into Blackened Thrash. I was surprised though Dismemberment was billed as the headliner for as long as I could remember and they didn't even headline lol.

What kind of venue was it? Depending on the venue and/or promoter, it's not uncommon for the headliner to play their full time in the second to last slot of the night.
  • TyrantTyrant Posts: 2,850 destroyer of motherfuckers

It was sold out
  • TiradesOfTruthTiradesOfTruth Posts: 8,055 destroyer of motherfuckers
    edited June 2013
    jag said:

What kind of venue was it? Depending on the venue and/or promoter, it's not uncommon for the headliner to play their full time in the second to last slot of the night.
    It was a bar with a stage in the back lol.

It was sold out
    this. Our show > yours im just good.