Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Concert Review Thread

Comments

• FLATFLAT Posts: 60,664 spicy boy
    i thought deafbaven was a song :-??
  • ...... Posts: 31,548 master of ceremonies
    Speaking of Deafheaven, they're playing in a tiny ass bar in Orlando on June 25th .. :-?
    inb4lists
  • Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,593 spicy boy
    You should plan on going so you can miss it
    inb4cantgonoride
  • MenAreTrashMenAreTrash Posts: 27,667 spicy boy
    SNERT said:

>mfw only 11 songs played

Even so, Deafheaven played for about 40-45 minutes and Boris played for like 100. Dem long songs doe
  • OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy
    So stoked for deafheaven
    I love winning with women
  • 1D_for_life1D_for_life Posts: 13,785 destroyer of motherfuckers
    triggaplz said:

So stoked for deafheaven

Day before my birthday
  • TyrantTyrant Posts: 2,850 destroyer of motherfuckers

SNERT said:

>mfw only 11 songs played

Dem long songs doe
    DUNNNNNNNN. DUNNNNNNNNNNNNNN. DUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN.

^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^
  • MenAreTrashMenAreTrash Posts: 27,667 spicy boy
    edited May 2013
    Kylesa -- San Francisco, CA -- May 25th, 2013
    Me and a couple buddies go to the venue about 35-40 minutes after doors opened and it was pretty empty in there. Couple dudes here in there checking out the Kylesa merch booth. Me and my friends just stood near the stage and waited for the night to start off.

Lazer/Wulf were the first band to show up and they were very appreciative of the early crowd. They thanked us by saying "Thanks for coming out during dinner time". They started their set off with a bang. These guys are a three piece instrumental metal group of sorts. Their sound is like a mix of mathcore, groove metal and prog rock. Their music was alright and they had decent stage presence. Every now and again the guitarist would also sing a little bit, but it didn't really fit with the music, because it seemed like they were going for an instrumental sound. I can't say I have any gripes with these guys other then some times it felt like the songs were never ending. Not a bad way to start off the night

Next were NY psychedelic rock trio, White Hills. These guys were fairly decent and had some cool grooves every now and again but a lot of the material sounded really simile and kind of made the set drag. Plus the songs were long, or at least longer than they should've been. The only song I could vibe on was the last one.The only really cool thing about the band was how the guitarist/vocalist could manipulate the sound of his guitar. He had some badass tones and sounds coming from that thing. Also, he was wearing grey face paint on for some reason, it was never really explained. Not a bad band but I wouldn't go out of my way to check 'em out.

Next up were Blood Ceremony. These guys were pretty great and got a really great crowd response. They really nail the whole occult rock sound right on the head. This stuff sounds really evil, and the riffs are Iommic as fuck. Like, straight Sabbath worship at sometimes, but it's done really well. The singer sounded awesome, but I couldn't hear her too often because she was on the opposite side of the stage as me and I was right up there so the vocals were often muffled out. But I could hear the flute just fine and that was always great. The bass/flute moments were spectacular. Overall, really fun set full of awesome riffs, tasty tones, cool flute work and black magic. See these guys if they're in your neck of the woods.

Blood Ceremony
    Witchwood
    I'm Coming With You
    My Demon Brother
    The Eldritch Dark
    Goodbye Gemini
    Oliver Haddo

To my surprise, a lot of people took off after Blood Ceremony's set. I didn't realize they were that popular among some folks. And I'm even more surprised those folks wouldn't stick around for Kylesa. Speaking of which...

Lastly were the almighty Kylesa. These guys brought it hard and the crowd gave the energy right back. There was a pit going on through most of the night and the band was getting great responses after each song. They didn't talk much between songs but I don't really care. The set most mostly material off the last couple of records, which I don't mind, because they're badass, but some more material off of Time Will Fuse Its Worth would've been awesome, because people went nuts for the two songs they played off those. And when they pulled out Bottom Line, I went nuts. In between some songs they take some time to do some cool stuff like the drum break in between Quicksand and Bottom Line, and some experimental theremin stuff in between Where The Horizon Unfolds and Scapegoat. Overall they put on a great set, the only thing that was weird is on the setlist they had a planned encore, but they didn't play it. Their time may have been cut, but I don't think Slim's has a curfew, especially on a Saturday night. That was weird, but whatever.

Kylesa
    Tired Climb
    Said and Done
    To Forget
    Don't Look Back
    Quicksand
    ---Drum Break---
    Bottom Line
    Nature's Predators
    Unspoken
    Long Gone
    Where The Horizon Unfolds
    Scapegoat
    Unknown Awareness
    Hollow Severer

Lazer/Wulf: 6.5/10
    White Hills: 6/10
    Blood Ceremony: 8/10
    Kylesa: 8.75/10
    Post edited by MenAreTrash on
    Killer Kylesa set even without running red
    lamb of god/decapitated/anciients
    tucson, AZ 5/28/13

anciients - missed their set because we left the valley (phx area) around 630 but I'll see them sometime

decapitated - solid act. the sound at rialto is the best around, so that helped their cause, but they were right on que with seemingly everything. spoke with the singer afterward, nice guy. 9/10

lamb of god - infinitytimesbetter than Mayhem 10. setlist was pretty great, and even the songs im not huge on were murdered live. really fucking cool. finally got to see contractor. had a great time and got a pick. this is all coming from someone who is meh on lamb of god. on album in not a big fan. its the hollow drumming effects I think. but they slayed live this time around 10/10 will see again hopefully in that same setting. probably couldnt have picked a better AZ venue myself.

log slays live \m/
  • XenoXeno Posts: 21,031 master of ceremonies
    y00z far away mayne
    I think the camera made me look a bit further back then I was but as it is the only thing I would encounter up front would be a bunch of drunk wild west rednecks. I thought it was more fun to hang back a bit and enjoy
    yeah when I saw em in November I was up front 2 people back from the rail and I got crushed

this time I'm either getting rail or staying back
    I used to be all about getting to the venues early to grab rail. before the first bands would even go on. nowadays its a combination of me getting either lazy, old, or both. but there are a handful of shows/bands that I will commit to being up front for.

I wouldnt have had Kyuss any other way. same with Yawning Man and High on Fire. Tool I am undecided about, all I know is Im buying floor tickets for LA and Phx
    its really not hard to get close. especially at log.
    Wait tool is touring? What?
    no but theyre not just gonna hang up the towel like [that]. hopefully there will be late fall/winter dates, but whenever they get announced I will be there.