Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Concert Review Thread

Comments

• FLATFLAT Posts: 60,664 spicy boy
    rather run into a shirtless dude than get my jaw stolen by a hardcore dancing faggot
  • 1D_for_life1D_for_life Posts: 13,785 destroyer of motherfuckers
    I've only been hit in the face once. At larger shows I got kicked a few times in the head from divers
  • Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,593 spicy boy
    Got a black eye \m/
    i've never been injured. i've been shaken up a bit but it's all good. one time doe some faggot just had to have targeted me in a circle pit during tdwp and just came and leveled me from behind. was shaken up a bit. that faggot still pisses me off.
    Did y'all make out?
    no i laid on the ground for awhile
    And took it up the ass
    says the virgin 8-|
    my first time was in the back of a car :-S
  • GnomezGnomez Posts: 17,550 master of ceremonies
    My first time was over in seconds
  • ...... Posts: 31,548 master of ceremonies
    What was his name?
    inb4lists
  • MenAreTrashMenAreTrash Posts: 27,667 spicy boy
    Mastodon -- San Francisco, CA -- June 26th, 2013

Got to the venue and line was long as hell. I was worried I wouldn't get a prime time viewing spot, but my worries were settled when I got in and promptly stood behind those on the rail. They had tons of Converse advertisements up and cool screens with maps that displayed the demographic of people there based on geographic location and stuff. North Bay had 4%. Swag. First band was Hot Lunch

Hot Lunch were a cool rock 'n' roll band heavy on fuzzy tones. A lot of their songs were really jam oriented and stretched a while but stayed interesting always introducing new ideas that'd they'd groove on for a bit. There was a group of 4 women in front of us, and about one song in one left but another covered her spot so I couldn't sneak in. But this would matter later. Something cool I noticed is that the compilation of screens to the left of the stage was actually being uploaded with photos of the band that photographers just took. So anyways, Hot Lunch were decent. If you like fuzzy jam rock, check it out.

Next up were bay area metal act, Saviours. Saviours are a solid metal group. They're labeled sludge but they're sludge the same way High on Fire is sludge, so they're not really sludge, just kind of stoner rock. They were a fun band and had some good energy. Again, one of the 4 girls left the front and my friend took her place. But she didn't come back so that way a good thing. Saviours brought out Brent Hinds for a Ted Nugent cover, which was kind of cool. All in all, Saviours were just average.

Next up were the might High on Fire. Their set was probably the most fun and the heaviest for sure. The band sounded great and they got a good response from the crowd with a decent amount of moshing going around. The only thing that was kind of a bummer was that they played the exact same set I got at the Metal Alliance tour. Song for song, the exact. same. thing. But hey, it was free and those songs are heavy as all hell so I can't really complain. Something cool that happened was a photographer snapped a photo of my friend while he was headbanging and it ended up on the screen. All in all, High on Fire delivered a fun and heavy set, even if it was only half an hour.

High on Fire
    Rumors of War
    Frost Hammer
    Madness of an Architect
    Snakes for the Divine

Next up were the almighty Mastodon! I was bummed to find out they were only given 45 minutes, and from that I'm guessing the set they played tonight will be their set at Mayhem. They came out playing Black Tongue, which I expected, then went into Crystal Skull which was awesome and probably the song I enjoyed most of their performance. But from there they just played a bunch of material off the Hunter with the occasional track off Crack the Skye. And I don't mean to come off totally disappointed, since they put on a great performance and it was free, but I was surprised they ignored their first two albums completely. But still, everybody sounded great and it was awesome seeing Mastodon just a few feet away from me, since my friend was a bro and pulled me up to get some rail. Plus rocking out to tunes like Crystal Skull, Spectrelight, Blasteroid and Crack the Skye was awesome. Also, Troy threw his backstage pass sticker thing that they use so people know they're in the band, and I caught it and stuck it on my chest, which was funny. But I'm still bummed that of 11 songs, 8 are from The Hunter and none of the others were from their first two. I could live with nothing off Remission, but we didn't even get Blood and Thunder. Hopefully something chances between now and Mayhem Fest, but I doubt it. Do you guys honestly need to hear Thickening live?

Mastodon
    Black Tongue
    Crystal Skull
    Dry Bone Valley
    Thickening
    Oblivion
    Octopus Has No Friends
    Stargasm
    Blasteroid
    Crack the Skye
    Spectrelight
    The Sparrow

They didn't even play Curl of the Burl. That was almost more shocking! So after that my and my friend Ben dipped because he has an early summer class.

Hot Lunch: 7/10
    Saviours: 6.5/10
    High on Fire: 8/10
    Mastodon: 8/10
    even a fan boi thinks they sucks live
    Good to see you can read. Still had fun, just wanted more old shit.
  • OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy
    thats a short but sweet hof set

and sweet jesus what a letdown mastodon set if thats what mayhem looks like.

crystal skull, oblivion and cts are the only things really saving it. im so sick of the hunter lol
    I love winning with women
    edited June 2013
    I mean I can jam to Spectelight and Black Tongue, but do they really need to play thickening? Hopefully they switch out that and the Sparrow for other tunes. Those two aren't really Mayem Fest friendly
  • OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy
    Ive still never seen blood and thunder. and its like their biggest one.
    I love winning with women
    I've seen Mastodon not play Blood and Thunder more times that I have sen them play it. That shit just ain't right
  • ...... Posts: 31,548 master of ceremonies
    I'm probably the only one who wants to hear COTB live :-??

It's one of my favorite drum songs to practice too.
    inb4lists