Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Concert Review Thread

Comments

• FLATFLAT Posts: 60,664 spicy boy
  • XenoXeno Posts: 21,031 master of ceremonies
    Gnomez said:

This is their setlist from yesterday.
    (why so many covers!?)
    After rocking out to Stone Sour and the crowd going wild I just found APC to be very laid back and mellow and the crowd were just standing there going uh huh yep okkaaaaay.....
    i got loads of pictures but will post them another day

Annihilation
    (Crucifix cover)
    Imagine
    (John Lennon cover)
    Weak and Powerless
    People Are People
    (Depeche Mode cover)
    3 Libras (All Main Courses Mix)
    When the Levee Breaks
    (Memphis Minnie & Kansas Joe McCoy cover)
    Counting Bodies Like Sheep to the Rhythm of the War Drums
    The Outsider
    By and Down
    Passive

That's because APC is an insanely chill band.
  • OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy
    Wow, they didn't play Judith.
    I love winning with women
  • GazorpazorpfieldGazorpazorpfield Posts: 22,293 master of ceremonies
    edited February 2013
    I've seen em twice and haven't heard it. I was hoping they'd play Pet instead of Counting Bodies the second time but that was a no go also.
    image Photobucket
  • GazorpazorpfieldGazorpazorpfield Posts: 22,293 master of ceremonies
    edited March 2013
    Tame Impala/The Growl

Something happened with Tame Impala that has never happened to me before with a band. I'd only heard of them maybe a month and a half ago and they just completely took over as the band I was stuck listening to. When I found out they were going to be in Detroit, I had to go...but they were sold out. That was almost the end of my story before I found tickets on stubhub that I was able to wait out and get for just a bit above face value. I cannot describe how glad I am I made the decision to spend the extra money, because I would pay a hell of a lot more than I did to experience the show again.

Starts out with me waiting outside in a line of hipsters. I knew Tame Impala was indie, but goddamn. So I'm in hipster hell, and about a half hour after schedule, the doors open. I take my spot and wait about another half hour before the band comes one stage. They've got a guy playing an upright bass or whatever the fuck it's called, a standard drumset and then another with some floor toms and a trash can and some battered cymbals. A guy on keys and a guitar player. They give no clue as to who they are before going into this most amazing set. I've never been more surprised by an opening act. Just after seeing them once and not knowing a single song, I'd love to see them headline. Anyway after a few songs the vocalist finally lets us know that they are The Growl, aussie friends of Tame Impala. Everybody switched instruments at some point or another which I thought was interesting and added to the show. Nobody around me seemed to know who they were, but by the time their set was over, everybody loved them.

This is where things really started getting interesting. At this point I've noticed a slight difference from the crowds I'm usually in, like the fact that nobody is being a dick and pushing their way to the front. The stage is basically set up after 10 minutes and now there's only one guy checking every single instrument. It's about 9:20 and in my head that 9:30 would be nice for them to start, but 9:45 is more likely. I was wrong. The second the sound guy checked the last instrument, he wasn't even off the stage before Tame Impala was walking on. They came out and started jamming. At this point I took the opportunity to light one up, something I've never really done at a show before, at least not alone...but this seemed fitting. Once again I'm noticing the crowd and how relaxed it is. Everybody has their own little buffer zone, nobody is pushing anybody. I'm three people from the barrier and have all the room in the world, AND THIS SHOW IS SOLD OUT. My mind was blown. By the third song, my j was coming to it's end, and of course at the moment I'm ready to bid it farewell to the floor, I'm caught. The thing I love about club shows like this is that when they catch you smoking, they'll just take it and tell you not to do it again. A couple days ago I saw Brit Floyd and you got kicked out immediately for smoking remotely anything. Back to the show. These guys didn't just play their songs, three quarters of them had a complete jam session in the middle of them. Now this is something that would usually get old after awhile. Like I'm not going to lie, when I saw RHCP, after the fourth jam out between songs, it started to get old. But this was different...Just about every Tame Impala songs sounds different, so each jam was different. The light show was entertaining too. They would have shapes that interacted with the sound, so a heavy strum and the line would go crazy. I'm sure this was probably pre done so it was probably just them syncing up with it...which is impressive to me because there is one part where the vocalist/guitarist is just looking at the screen and playing his solo with it. Being stoned it was all just too amazing. Once again, something like this has never happened to me with a band before. It was hands down the greatest show I have ever been too. Pretty sure everybody knows I'm not an 11/10 everytime boi either.

Edit: I forget to mention how goddamn heavy the bass was. A single stum just rocked your body. Seriously if they come near you, see them.
    Solid example of the jamming. I believe this is about a 4 minute song recorded
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwagJClh3dw
    image Photobucket
  • ...... Posts: 31,548 master of ceremonies
    Short review + setlists + pictures from the Coheed/BTBAM/Russian Circles show

http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?p=515824#post515824
    inb4lists
  • That_Guy_ArloThat_Guy_Arlo Posts: 14,026 master of ceremonies
    edited March 2013
    I'm gonna keep it very brief as I gotta get ready to leave soon.

Terminator 2 - Local doom/stoner act from Denton TX that really impressed the hell out of me. Even the singer from Pallbearer mentioned he was blown away by them.

Pinkish Black - Another local to the area that just happened to get singed to Century Media Records. No guitars in this two-piece as it's just a drummer and synth player that also does vocals. More doom from these guys that was a little less on the heavy side but still sounded great.

Power Trip - Crowd went insane during their set. Really awesome crossover thrash band from Dallas TX that brought full energy from the first note to the very end (and not to mention sounded spot on). Check em' out if you haven't already.

Pallbearer - Heavy as hell. I'm not really one to listen to doom metal on album, ever, but they put on an outstanding performance for the crowd that was there. Definitely glad I caught this band live, wouldn't mind seeing them again sometime either.
  • MenAreTrashMenAreTrash Posts: 27,667 spicy boy
    Yeah, Pallbearer is awesome live.
    Day 2:

Sleep - Got there about an hour before they went on and ended up skipping Roky Erickson so I could get front and center for Sleep. I definitely don't regret this decision now as they were just incredible. They ended up playing for an hour and 45 min which didn't feel as long as it really was although I'm probably partially deaf now. There isn't really anything I can say that hasn't been said before about this band, I'm just thankful to have been able to see them live.

Wayne "The Train" Hancock - And now for something completely different. Wayne Hancock is an old school country music artist that seriously sounds exactly like Hank Williams Sr. His set was a ton of fun, I'm a pretty big fan of the more traditional country sound so I couldn't have had a better time watching his band play. I'll definitely go see him again next time he comes around.

Whirr - Never seen a band like this before live, definitely was a different kind of show for me but I really enjoyed watching them. The one downside is that the venue they played in is notorious for having terrible acoustics, and this show was no exception. I still had a good time seeing them and will make point to start listening to them more. A good end to a very solid day of music. Now on to day 3...
  • KridesBrideBrittKridesBrideBritt Posts: 25,781 jayfacer
    edited March 2013
    Finch/The Almost/The World is A Beautiful Place & I Am No Longer Afraid to Die
    NYC-3/12/13-Sold out

So, a friend of mine, Joe, had been trying to get me to go to this show since it was announced but I said no since I was already going to the Philly date. Everyone that would go with him, couldn't, so I went and Joe gave me the ticket for free. I have been in love with Finch and Nate Barcalow since I was 14. They were the band that steered me away from pop music. To say I was excited is one hell of an understatement. Out of all the tours this year, Finch was the the one I was most looking forward to. I got to the venue at 6:40 and Joe was pretty far up in the line so when they let us in at 7:00, we got a spot right on the rail, slightly to the left of center. The majority of the crowd was mid-twenties or early thirties but that didn't matter.

TWIABP&IANLATD-They went on at 7:30. They unnecessarily had 8 members. 3 guitarists (one that sang and one that played the trumpet), bassist, keyboardist, cellist, drummer, and singer. They were...alright. Definition of an emo band. 4/10

The Almost-They went on at 8:15. Venue started to fill up. One of the members was in Underoath. The sounded quite good. Best part of their set, when they covered Tom Petty's "Free Falling". 6/10

Finch-By the time they hit the stage at 9:30, it was packed and everyone was screaming their name over and over. As soon as "New Beginnings" started, the place went completely insane. The energy of Finch and Nate Barcalow was absolutely incredible. They did not stand still. At some point, during "Post Script" I think, Nate kept having to wipe his face. Apparently he was bleeding. The band and roadies were trying to find out if he was alright, but he kept saying "It's rock and roll, shit happens!" He got his balance back by the end of the song after nearly knocking over a mic stand from running into another band member. Hah. They briefly left the stage during the second half of "Ender" but the place just kept getting louder and louder. Then they came back on and played one of my favorite songs, "Worms of The Earth", followed by two songs from their demo. Finally, it was the moment we all were waiting for, Nate saying "We have one song left and you already know what it is." When the first scream of "What It Is To Burn" hit our ears, everything erupted. People were flying everywhere. I got my face slammed into the barrier (my lip still hurts). Then Nate jumped down the the front row, right in front of me and the girl next to me. I basically had a super fangirl moment. He stayed there for the rest of the song with us screaming the lyrics and he accidentally punched me in the face and ripped my hat off my head. Afterwards, he hugged a few of us and that was it. Show was over. They took a bow then walked off. While I love metal, it will take a lot to top that show for me, maybe even seeing them again on Friday may not compare. 10/10

New Beginnings
    Letters to You
    Post Script
    Grey Matter
    Perfection Through Silence
    Awake
    Without You Here
    Stay With Me
    Project Mayhem
    Untitled
    Three Simple Words
    Ender

Encore:
    Worms of the Earth
    Waiting
    New Kid
    What It Is to Burn

I could only get a few pictures because the crowd was so crazy and they would not stand still for anything.

kristianPhotobucketPhotobucket Trephination-Tuesday Nights/Wednesday Mornings...11pm-1am- http://wrsu.rutgers.edu/listen.html
    Found this video of What It Is To Burn from last night. See if you can pick me out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC5sug2c6CU
    kristianPhotobucketPhotobucket Trephination-Tuesday Nights/Wednesday Mornings...11pm-1am- http://wrsu.rutgers.edu/listen.html
  • mrAPEmrAPE Posts: 39,476 moneytalker
    The one at the front slightly to the left!
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
    :))

You watch the video? It's insane.
  • MarcTheFallenMarcTheFallen Posts: 26,661 master of ceremonies
    Bad Religion -- San Antonio, TX -- March 12th, 2013

Just going to keep it short and sweet.

We had a local opener that only played about 4 songs since Against Me! Dropped off.

Polar Bear Club wasn't my cup of tea so Leah and I just sat outside waiting.

Bad Religion was fucking great man they still have it after all these years. The set list was great also and the show overall lasted about an hour and 45 minutes

Shirts were $20, poster was $20, hoodie was $35, bracelet, keychain, and patches were $5, and an old 2011 tour shirt was $5.

Past Is Dead
    We're Only Gonna Die
    New Dark Ages
    True North
    Anesthesia
    Land of Endless Greed
    I Want to Conquer the World
    Epiphany
    Los Angeles Is Burning
    Fuck You
    Robin Hood in Reverse
    Against the Grain
    No Direction
    Dearly Beloved
    Do What You Want
    Heroes & Martyrs
    Beyond Electric Dreams
    Come Join Us
    21st Century (Digital Boy)
    A Walk
    American Jesus
    Sorrow

Encore:
    Fuck Armageddon
    Vanity
    Infected
    Dept. of False Hope
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    Hold da fuck up. I thought Leah went back home?
  • NolaFree810NolaFree810 Posts: 36,796 moneytalker
    her love for mexican could not withhold
  • OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy
    She left and then returned.
    I love winning with women
  • 1D_for_life1D_for_life Posts: 13,785 destroyer of motherfuckers
    she just couldn't get enough of that Mexican dick
  • jagjag Posts: 5,033 destroyer of motherfuckers

Hold da fuck up. I thought Leah went back home?

Nigga me and you both