Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Concert Review Thread

Comments

• mrAPEmrAPE Posts: 39,476 moneytalker
    :(|)
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
    So you're a liar britt
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
  • KridesBrideBrittKridesBrideBritt Posts: 25,781 jayfacer
    Nah. Just have a misinformed fucked up memory. :))
    kristianPhotobucketPhotobucket Trephination-Tuesday Nights/Wednesday Mornings...11pm-1am- http://wrsu.rutgers.edu/listen.html
    Liar [-(
    =; Oh be quiet. It's bad enough I have to deal with gingers on a regular basis...quit yer bitchin'.
    kristianPhotobucketPhotobucket Trephination-Tuesday Nights/Wednesday Mornings...11pm-1am- http://wrsu.rutgers.edu/listen.html
    :-?? You're the liar not me
    Not intentionally. I've been to so many shows they all just blend together.

No excuses [-X
    [-(
  • XenoXeno Posts: 21,031 master of ceremonies
    Chevelle w/ Middle Class Rut and Janus
    Lupo’s Heartbreak Hotel Providence RI
    3/2/12

So I started my night off freaking out because I showed up at my friend’s house who was driving me, and he wasn’t there. Thankfully he just had a late rescue call he had to go on and was back within about 15 minutes. We left Barrington around 6, stopping at Taco Bell along the way (probably not the greatest idea before a concert, but whatever), and showing up at Lupo’s around 6:40. The line wasn’t insanely long when we got there, which was a plus. We spent our time ignoring the cold and watching all the ghetto people of Providence, which can usually be hilarious. By around 7 people were walking the line asking if people had extra tickets because apparently the show sold out. We ended up going into the venue around 7:30, stopping at the coat check and bathroom, and then into the venue where I was 2nd row of people from the rail. Some chick in front of me turned around and said in a bitchy tone “You better stay the fuck off my back” to which I responded “Have you ever even been to a concert here?” because Lupo’s is small as fuck and gets extremely rowdy. Thankfully a spot opened up next to me so I wouldn’t have to deal with her.

Janus: 5/10
    Okay opening band, pretty mediocre hard rock but they weren’t that bad. Their guitarist looks like a total twat.

Middle Class Rut: 6/10
    Disappointing show, especially since I really like this band. All of their songs sounded extremely similar, and they get repetitive as fuck. The guitarist vocalist also cheats when playing guitar, half the time he uses his pedal to warp the sound up or down a note rather than just play it, which is sad because his parts really aren’t complex at all. The crowd seemed really into them though, the customary Lupo’s giant moshpit took up the floor behind me, featuring a hilarious black dude in full pimp attire, including a giant afro.
    Setlist:
    Sad to Know
    All Walks of Life
    Alive or Dead
    Oh Well/Are You On Your Way?
    Busy Bein’ Born
    New Low
    USA

Chevelle: 9.5/10
    The crowd push started well before Chevelle hit the stage, and I spent my time talking to some chill people nearby about how crazy the show was going to be. We weren’t wrong. Once they went on, the crowd was a constant mess of pushing, moshing, and crowd surfing. Unlike the last time I saw Chevelle, I’ve learned to be able to listen to the music in the middle of an insane crowd, unlike last time where I spent all my energy trying to keep my place. The band sounded fantastic, Pete is definitely one of the best frontmen in rock. There were multiple times when Pete came right up to where I was, bending down and playing the guitar six inches from my face. The dude can jam. Their set was more than satisfying, mostly because all of their material is great lol. Can’t wait to see them again.
    Antisaint
    Letter from a Thief
    Another Know It All
    Hats Off To The Bull
    Sleep Apnea
    Same Old Trip
    Closure
    Jars
    Send The Pain Below
    Forfeit
    Vitamin R
    Still Running
    I Get It
    Envy
    Wonder What’s Next
    The Clincher
    The Red
    Face To The Floor
  • GazorpazorpfieldGazorpazorpfield Posts: 22,293 master of ceremonies
    edited March 2012
    Peelander-Z/Electric Eel Shock

Where, oh where can I possible begin?
    Door were early, but I wasn't interested in being the first in. Got there an hour late and the first band was just finishing up. One of the first things I noticed was the amount of hipsters present...I didn't even know they existed in Toledo. I don't think I ever really had the chance to observe them. EVERYTHING I HEARD ABOUT THEM IS TRUE. They even talked about PBR as they were drinking PBR.

Up next, another local band...they had a guy that wore a collar and tie, no shirt...thought it was dumb. Also had a girl playing the violin, she was hot. They jammed a few songs and took off.

This.
    Is.
    Where.
    It.
    All.
    Changed.

Electric Eel Shock.
    This is where the Japanese take over started. They did their sound check and just stood there for a minute with no sound. Then Iron Man started playing over the PA...as that is going on, the drummer starts taking off his clothes until he is bare ass naked with nothing but a 4 foot sock dangling off his junk. Later found out there was a reason for this length.. It was used as an improvised guitar between songs. I couldn't process just how hard they jammed and sounded great. During the set they played the coolest cover of Iron Man I've heard...but that may be because it's the only cover of Iron Man I've heard. Either way it would still probably win with a couple other to compare. Give you an idea if you care...probably don't. You probably didn't even read this far. lol
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7XIssVleD0

Peelander-Z
    There's been times when I looked at my venues upcoming shows, looked at a band and went "meh don't care." This was almost just that, but I decided to look at a video. And that video changed my mind and made me spend the $10 to go. Easily one of the best $10 I've ever spent. One of the funniest intros I've seen/heard. "Attention Peelanders, we are nearing Earth. Approximately 2.5 human lightyears away...14 dog lightyears away. We are approaching...10. 9. 8....9. 10. 11. 12. 13...14." There was more but I forget. Eventually they came out wearing some jackets with flashing lights and helmets. Quickly jumped into playing. Crowd participation was integrated right after the first song as they handed out metal dog food bowls and drumsticks for people to beat. Now, I never understood the whole asian fetish thing, but I would bone Peelander-Pink. Just had to say that. There was a part where the entire crowd did some limbo action, which was really just two of the members holding a rope across the floor and walking it over everyone haha. Then there was a point where we held up the bassist while he jammed. Sadly they only played about an hour, but it wasn't over before the highlight of the night.. Now, they broke down during the last song and held one a sign that read "Guitar player wanted" I had just fell towards the back of the small crowd of maybe 60 people so I was kind of bummed knowing I wasn't gonna get up in time. Either way, I broke towards the front. I got up there when he held up a "Bass player wanted" sign, but he picked a girl on the other side of the stage. Finally he held up a "Drummer wanted" sign, and I got picked! All I had to do was keep pace with a "Clap...clap...clap" but eventually when they did the human bowling, and all the pins got knocked down I got to go crazy lol.

Amazing experience, wish we could've gotten a better picture...we didn't exactly bawse out the timing. There was a flash, a break, and then another flash..but we moved before the second one both times.
    Post edited by Gazorpazorpfield on
    image Photobucket
  • GazorpazorpfieldGazorpazorpfield Posts: 22,293 master of ceremonies
    Never played drums before either, first time I did it was onstage haha
    image Photobucket
  • NOLANOLA Posts: 6,353 jayfacer
    edited March 2012
    311 Day VII Countdown (Show 1)...

Set:

1. Omaha Stylee
    2. Do You Right
    3. Time Bomb
    4. Taiyed
    5. Evolution!!!
    6. Salsa
    7. Large in the Margin
    8. Starshines
    9. 1,2,3
    10. Sweet
    11. Time Is Precious
    12. Don't Stay Home
    13. Something Out Of Nothing
    --Bass solo-- (P-nut walked around entire lower bowl of arena and walked through crowd while playing solo)
    14. Nutsymptom
    15. I'll Be Here Awhile
    16. Right Now!!!
    17. My Stoney Baby
    18. T & P Combo
    19. Mindspin
    ----Intermission---- Summer Unity Tour 2012 Announcement - 311 w/ Slightly Stoopid.
    20. Freak Out
    21. Soulsucker
    22. Today My Love
    23. Wild Nights
    24. Freeze Time
    25. Thank Your Lucky Stars
    26. Full Ride
    27. Hostile Apostle
    28. Dancehall (last played on 4/15/02)
    29. Transistor
    30. Inner Light Spectrum
    31. Waiting In Vain (Bob Marley cover) (Acoustic)
    32. Six
    33. Sunset In July
    34. Hydroponic
    35. Nix Hex (Nick on piano) (This was cool to see Nick on a piano.)
    36. Old Funk (rare B-side)
    37. Welcome
    ----Countdown to 3/11 Day----
    38. Jackpot

We do it all over again tomorrow night. I'll write a full review of both shows when I get home Monday.

Post edited by NOLA on
  • OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy
    No Amber? Interesting
    I love winning with women
    No complaints from me. But chances are they'll fit it in tomorrow night.
  • drinkwine732drinkwine732 Posts: 20,418 destroyer of motherfuckers
    I'll review that killer sleepmakeswaves show tomorrow, the sun'll rise soon if I do it now.
    My Top Albumsidrinkwine732's Profile Page
  • MenAreTrashMenAreTrash Posts: 27,667 spicy boy
    Never played drums before either, first time I did it was onstage haha
    That's awesome! I wish I had been able to see Peelander-Z when they were in my neck of the woods. I'll forever regret missing 'em.
    edited March 2012
    311 Day VII (Night 2)

Set:

39. Down
    40 .Rock On
    41. Grassroots
    42. Hive
    43. Sever
    44. Off Beat Bare Ass
    45. Amber
    46. Firewater (first time ever played) (Fans have been asking for this one for years. Finally.)
    47. You Wouldn't Believe
    48. And A Ways To Go
    49. Applied Science (extended w/ entire band on drumline) (This was awesome! They do this often, but not to this extent.)
    50. Jupiter
    51. There's Always An Excuse
    52. Brodels
    53. Trouble
    54. Still Dreaming
    55. Beyond the Gray Sky
    56. Creatures
    ---Intermission---
    57. Cali Soca
    58. Speak Easy
    59. Stealing Happy Hours
    60. Life's Not a Race
    61. Use of Time
    62. Too Much Too Fast (First time ever played.)
    63. Lucky
    64. DLMD
    65. 8:16 am
    66. Beautiful Disaster
    67. Uncalm
    68. Juan Bond
    69. Eons
    70. I Told Myself
    71. All Mixed Up
    72. Gap
    73. Homebrew
    74. Who's Got the Herb?
    75. Livin n Rockin
    76. Random
    77. Sometimes Jacks Rule the Realm
    78. Feel So Good

78 songs played between both shows combined.

These were 311 shows 18/19 for me. I need to check, but I'm pretty sure I've heard the entire catalog and most b-sides now. The energy these guys bring and have been bringing all these years is insane. Much respect. Two jam packed nights at the MGM Garden. I'm glad I decided to go. My first 311 Day was in 2004, and I've been to every one since. Always a great time. I guess their age is catching up with them. They usually push out 60+ songs a night. This time they split it between two nights. Which was cool. It made a weekend out of it.
    Post edited by NOLA on
  • HOODSHOODS Posts: 41,866 destroyer of motherfuckers
    dayyuumm! how long were the shows 4 hrs?
    edited March 2012
    Actually they were about 3 1/2 hrs long.