Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Concert Review Thread

Comments

• KridesBrideBrittKridesBrideBritt Posts: 25,781 jayfacer
    Phone's almost dead.
    kristianPhotobucketPhotobucket Trephination-Tuesday Nights/Wednesday Mornings...11pm-1am- http://wrsu.rutgers.edu/listen.html
  • mrAPEmrAPE Posts: 39,476 moneytalker
    Bullshit
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
  • OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy
    Dumping several photos from the Anthrax/Testament/Death Angel show since I just moved the pics from my phone to my computer to clear up space on my phone. Figured I'd share.

Large ass pics ahead, F5 as soon as you read this.

I love winning with women
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,722 mod
  • AbbadonAbbadon Posts: 1,990 juggalo
    Ventana was great, best show I have seen from them. Waylon from mrh joined them for last song then they destroyed the set. Got stitch keyboard and got it signed, what a night.
  • MenAreTrashMenAreTrash Posts: 27,667 spicy boy
    After eating at Mel's we, my dad, my friend Alex, and I, arrived at the Regency at about 6ish, maybe a little after the hour. There was already a little bit of a line in front of the venue, about 20 people or so. In celebration of Michael LePond's birthday, there was host from a radio station or something asking people Michael LePond trivia and giving out prizes to those who answered the questions correctly. After she asked some people who one of his five favorite bands are and giving them a prize, she couldn't return to the email that had the questions on her phone, so she decided to just give out the stuff for free. She threw a few posters and I caught one. Along with that, I got a Symphony X key chain and sticker signed by LePond. The poster two sideds, one which has the cover for Paradise Lost and functions as a 2009 calendar and the other is a show poster for a show they played in Taipei. I'll hang up the side with Taipei, because a 2009 calendar serves no purpose and would look silly. I guess they just needed to get rid of some shit. I texted Cheeze to see if he was near, but by the 15 minutes before they started letting us in, he was still about half an hour away from the venue. So at 7PM they let us in the venue. Unfortunately for me, the Iced Earth VIP people were let in earlier and they were occupying the rail, so I had to settle with 2nd row. I chatted it up with some fellow metalheads to pass the time. I saw Cheeze some where a few rows behind, but he was too lazy to try to work his way up. Then before we knew it it was 8 and Warbringer was starting their set.

Warbringer are a band I'm sure most of you are familar with by now. They seem to be the leader of this thrash metal revival movement that's going about, and while they may be a little repetitive on disk, they're actually quite fun live. All the guys are obviously going full force, having the time of their lives on the stage. The front man has a pretty good thrash metal voice and was quite entertaining to watch. The band proved to be a good live band and had a pretty good set. They actually got some pits going, which I wasn't expecting at a Symphony X show. Fans of the band will appreciate that their set has material off of all their full-lengths. If I see Warbringer on another bill with good bands, I'll definitely look forward to their set.

Warbringer
    Living Weapon
    Severed Reality
    Shoot to Kill
    Demonic Ecstasy
    Living in a Whirlwind
    Combat Shock

While Iced Earth were setting up, I noticed my dad was using his Spanish to converse with some people in the crowd. Turns out there were some dudes there from Honduras at the show, father and son. The son was in California to study music. I used my Spanish to the best of my ability to talk to him and he showed me an awesome Honduran heavy metal hand-shake, that combined the invisible orange and the horns. Then Iced Earth came on.

Iced Earth were awesome and got the biggest crowd response. Unfortunately that wasn't completely positive. During Angels Holocaust, some huge asshole barged through the crowd and threw a guy who had rail off and claimed the spot as his own. He did while dragging his friend along with him, so they took up hella space. But soon after the display of douchebagery, some security told 'em to back off, and so they left. Justice was served, but it made Angels Holocaust unenjoyable because I was mad. But it was pretty chill after that. Throughout the performance, the crowd was a little on the rowdy side, and there was a pretty constant push/shove going on. But despite some assholes in the crowd, Iced Earth did work. They blazed through songs from a fair amoutn of their discography, but of course focused on Dystopia. Stu Block was a champ. He sounded awesome the whole time and his high notes are just awesome. I tore up my throat trying to sing along to Damien and Dark City, and I'm feeling it pretty bad today. Dante's Inferno was also cool, but I'm not too familiar with the song, so it kind dragged. And during that song, again, two huge assholes barged through the crowd. But they went far past me, so it didn't effect me all that much. I think the high-light of the set was the closing track, Iced Earth. The orginial is cool, but the vocal are less than good, but Stu Block turned it into something awesome. Overall, great set that was full of energy. I'd definitely see these guys.

Iced Earth
    Dystopia
    Angels Holocaust
    Slave To The Dark
    V
    Stand Alone
    When The Night Falls
    Dark City
    Damien
    Anthem
    Declaration Day
    Days of Rage
    Watching Over Me
    Dante's Inferno
    Iced Earth

Not much went on between Iced Earth and Symphony X, besides some people leaving and other taking their rail before I could. Also, Cheeze had to leave early because he had family events to attend to the day after the show, so Bay Area meet-up 2012 wasn't succesful this go-around. Oh well.

Symphony X was just as incredible as they were the first time I saw them, but this time I was more familiar with their set. The beginning of Iconoclast melted my brain . I could watch Romeo play for days. He's so fucking good. Allan also sounded awesome and interacted with crowd well. There were two particular fans right in front of that they interacted with a lot because they were batshit insane fanboys. One of them in particular probably had on orgasm every time Romeo took a solo or did anything cool. His reaction to every time Romeo did anything was priceless. So, they went about their set, playing through most of Iconoclast and a couple tracks from Divine Wings and The Odyssey. Before they started the encore, they pointed out it was LePond's birthday, and all of the crowd sang him a happy birthday. Then they played 3 songs off of Paradise Lost. I was hoping they'd actually do something special, like play another song, in celebration of LePond's birthday like their facebook statuses implyed, but I guess they constitute singing Happy Birthday as special. Either way, awesome set.

Symphony X
    Iconoclast
    End of Innocence
    Dehumanized
    Bastards of the Machine
    When All is Lost
    Inferno
    Electric Messiah
    Children of a Faceless God
    Of Sins and Shadows
    -------------------
    Eve of Seduction
    Serpent's Kiss
    Set the World on Fire

Over all, great way to start off the new year. Getting free swag was also cool.

Warbringer: 7.5/10
    Iced Earth: 9/10
    Symphony X: 9/10
  • KridesBrideBrittKridesBrideBritt Posts: 25,781 jayfacer
    That Iced Earth set list =P~
    kristianPhotobucketPhotobucket Trephination-Tuesday Nights/Wednesday Mornings...11pm-1am- http://wrsu.rutgers.edu/listen.html
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,722 mod
    Symphony X played their End of Innocence....Iced Earth needs to play theirs.
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
  • Ace_Deputy_CheezeAce_Deputy_Cheeze Posts: 14,736 jayfacer
    lawl, i saw those 2 d-bags who went to the front.
    they looked hella pissed when they left.
    Deputy_Cheeze's Profile Page Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
    Leveler tour

Finally I get to see august burns red after holding out years for a headline show and it was worth the wait. If the show didn't sell out at the door then it was close the place was backed.

I the breather - vocals sucked, the rest was too repetitive for my liking but people were jumping around by the first note and they had a ton of energy, I wouldn't see them again but the weren't the worst opener

TEXAS IN JULY - I was kind of looking forward to them. They had the crowd getting pretty crazy. They were alright nothing special.

SILVERSTEIN - I've seen them before they are alright live but I just wanted to see abr so I went to the back leaned against a wall and sipped on an awesome coke. Was delicious A+ would drink again. As for Silverstein d - would not see again.

AUGUST BURNS RED - kids came to get rowdy tonight. And it wasn't so much hardcore dancing. As I somewhat speculated before I thought with the way they play they would have a crowd similar to hatebreed. They did, one of the few bands I've seen have the entire venue moving. However, unlike hatebreed there was a shit ton of crowd surfing and people being launched into the air. Their set was awesome the highlight was your little suburbia in ruins. I noticed that at this show it was much easier and almost effortless to move people in the pit. My big ass had a good time throwing people around I tell you what! I really hope they get put on a festival like mayhem I really think they could transition to that type of crowd pretty easily.
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
  • NolaFree810NolaFree810 Posts: 36,796 moneytalker
    They win?
    Why do they play so good at home and suck the rest of the time? Makes no damn sense. Xiaver really hasn't been the same since the fight with cincy.
    ya that fight shit really fucked them...and all teams are better at home esp in the A 10 for some reason
    I fully think that fight revealed who xiaver really is and how bad the coaching is.

Cincy handled it awesome suspensions like crazy coach pissed as fuck during the media session

Xiaver comes out talking about how their gangsters and the coach shows no passion and players only get one game suspensions.
    agreed. horriblely handled by the X coach.. now they pay the consequences of it

and we reap all the benefits!

ps we now are ahead of X is the conference standings as well
    Good deal. I kind of hope they make the play in game cincy vs x I think it would be epic
    cincy is not in the atlantic 10 brah
    No shit. I'm talking the play in game to the big tournament. I think it should be cincy vs X