Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Concert Review Thread

Comments

• OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy
    So when I reviewed the AHC sow back in January and went off about that terrible band called 9Electric, there was no video footage of that show. Now there is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04B_Y-iPjQs

Cheesiest, worst band I have ever seen perform.
    I love winning with women
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,722 mod
    4-12-12 - Detroit, MI - The Fillmore Detroit - Avalanche Tour

I arrived at the venue at about 6:30. After glancing over at the shirts and not finding anything appealing (they were $25 if I remember correctly), I made my way to the floor and secured a spot a couple people back from the rail, about center stage. This was where I would remain the entire show.

Art of Dying - First time seeing these guys, and I definitely prefer them over New Medicine, the opener on this tour before this show. Their sound wasn't the best - I could have used more vocals all around - but their energy level was good and I enjoyed most of their songs. They were a bit showy, but they did what they were supposed to do and got the crowd engaged and ready to go. Highlights for me were Get Thru This and Die Trying. 7/10

Setlist:

Straight Across My Mind
    Whole World's Crazy
    Raining
    Get Thru This
    Sorry
    Die Trying

Adelitas Way - I saw this band open for Halestorm a couple years ago in a smaller venue and came away pretty impressed. They were solid again this time, though I found I didn't really care for most of their songs. Most of them sounded similar to me, especially vocally. Still, they had a lot of energy, their frontman worked the crowd a good bit, and their sound was good. Like last time, Invincible was the highlight of the set for me. 7/10

Setlist:

The Collapse
    Scream
    Hurt
    Alive
    Cage the Beast
    Criticize
    Sick
    Invincible

Shinedown - Hooooooo boy. This was by far the closest I've been for this band, and it probably factored into this quite a bit. But damn, these guys seem to get better every time I've seen them. They were absolutely on point from the opening riff of Sound of Madness to the final chorus of Fly From The Inside, instrumentally and vocally. While Carnival of Madness was a huge spectacle with a pretty heavy stage show, this one was a bit more streamlined. There weren't as many lights or stage props, though there was still a good bit of lighting, and there weren't as many jam sessions or speeches from Brent in between songs. For the most part, it was just straight-up rock and roll non-stop for almost 90 minutes. The band seemed focused and intense at the set started, but as the set wore on, the smiles grew bigger and the more energy the band seemed to give. By the final song, they were jumping around with as much life as they had started with. As mentioned, Brent was on his game vocally, with Zach and especially Eric impressing with their backing vocals. This band won't dazzle you with their technical ability, but their sound was clear and balanced. The setlist was very heavy on the last two albums, understandably, and though more songs from Leave A Whisper are never a bad idea, I didn't mind that at all. Overall, this was the best I've seen from this band, and I'm excited to see this set again next month. 10/10

Setlist:

Sound of Madness
    Diamond Eyes (Boom-Lay Boom-Lay Boom)
    Enemies
    If You Only Knew
    Save Me
    Devour
    Nowhere Kids
    The Crow & The Butterfly
    Unity
    Amaryllis
    Adrenaline
    ------------------------------
    Bully
    Simple Man (Lynyrd Skynyrd cover)
    Second Chance
    Fly from the Inside
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
  • KridesBrideBrittKridesBrideBritt Posts: 25,781 jayfacer
    Eeek! I can't wait. I see them in like a week again. \m/ Did Brent do the thing where he makes you scream as loud as you can?
    kristianPhotobucketPhotobucket Trephination-Tuesday Nights/Wednesday Mornings...11pm-1am- http://wrsu.rutgers.edu/listen.html
    Eek! Now I'm getting really excited. \:D/
    kristianPhotobucketPhotobucket Trephination-Tuesday Nights/Wednesday Mornings...11pm-1am- http://wrsu.rutgers.edu/listen.html
  • mrAPEmrAPE Posts: 39,476 moneytalker
    8-|
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
  • GazorpazorpfieldGazorpazorpfield Posts: 22,293 master of ceremonies
    Wait. He wanted the crowd to get...as loud as they can? Who thought up that idea? You know what would be a clever device to get the crowd louder? Tell them you want the folks all the way in a rivaling city to hear them.
    image Photobucket
  • mrAPEmrAPE Posts: 39,476 moneytalker
    Lol chuck
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
  • ...... Posts: 31,548 master of ceremonies

Setlist:

Sound of Madness
    Enemies
    If You Only Knew
    Save Me
    Devour
    Nowhere Kids
    The Crow & The Butterfly
    Unity
    Amaryllis
    Adrenaline
    Bully
    Second Chance
    Fly from the Inside
    Such a disappointing setlist imo.
    inb4lists
    If you don't like the new album, sure. What did you expect?
    Greatest hits at rotr or I murder.
    image Photobucket
    I guess in the grand scheme of things there isn't really much of a greatest hits catalogue after 4 albums.
    image Photobucket
    "Devour
    Nowhere Kids"

They should switch those 2 with I Dare You and Left Out.
    inb4lists
    I had to double check, I'm really surprised they're not playing Call Me.
    inb4lists
    I would support switching Devour out of literally no song.
    image Photobucket
    Wait. He wanted the crowd to get...as loud as they can? Who thought up that idea? You know what would be a clever device to get the crowd louder? Tell them you want the folks all the way in a rivaling city to hear them.
    :)) Yeah, I guess I walked right into that one.

Setlist:

Sound of Madness
    Enemies
    If You Only Knew
    Save Me
    Devour
    Nowhere Kids
    The Crow & The Butterfly
    Unity
    Amaryllis
    Adrenaline
    Bully
    Second Chance
    Fly from the Inside
    Such a disappointing setlist imo.
    I would like Diamond Eyes to be switched out with My Name. I love that new song so much. And The Crow & The Butterfly with Better Version.
    I would support switching Devour out of literally no song.
    [-(
    "Devour
    Nowhere Kids"

They should switch those 2 with I Dare You and Left Out.
    If you're being that picky, then it's not a bad setlist. If you were at Carnival of Madness, you'd know they played both of those. <_>
  • AdamAdam Posts: 11,533 balls deep
    That Diamond eyes song is the only shinedown song i don't like.