Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Concert Review Thread

Comments

• NolaFree810NolaFree810 Posts: 36,796 moneytalker
    i'll post a review of summer slaughter tomorrow. im too fucking tired to do it right now
    dont bother
  • drinkwine732drinkwine732 Posts: 20,418 destroyer of motherfuckers
    i'll post a review of summer slaughter tomorrow. im too fucking tired to do it right now
    dont bother
    bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaahhaahahahahahahhaahhahaahahahahah
    My Top Albumsidrinkwine732's Profile Page
  • GazorpazorpfieldGazorpazorpfield Posts: 22,293 master of ceremonies
    Valient Thorr - Frankies Inner City - Toledo, Ohio
    8-17-11

I kept looking at the website wondering who the opening bands were because none were listed. I called the number for promotor I guess, which gave me information for numerous shows between two venues for dates between August 1st until August 16th, go figure it stops before the one I am curious about. Anyway I show up and the guy asks me who I'm there for, yay more bands.

Wilson
    A band from Michigan. When I asked one of the members where, he said many places in Michigan haha. Anyway These guys hit the stage and just fucking tear it up. They had amazing stage presence, and didn't hold back from jumping into the crowd which at that point was roughly 6 people NOT associated with the bands. One of the coolest things I've ever seen at a show came up during their last song. The vocalist jumped off the stage and ran off, came back in the room with a marching band bass drum that said Party Hard and just started running around beating the shit out of it in tune with the song. These guys got me hooked by their show, so I decided to head over their table and ended up buying a CD. That being said, have you ever seen a band for the first time and thought "holy shit these guys are great" and then listened to recorded material and thought "This is not at all what I just heard." That's basically what happened. There was just a lot more singing on the CD than I heard from them at the show. Maybe it was the guitar player and I just couldn't hear him, but it sounded like group singing..either way I'll check them out if they come by again.

Intentional Object
    Some old guys playing fast punk..I sat at the bar for them and just wasnt completely into it the whole time. At one point the guy said "We wont be playing 'Retard' tonight, so don't get your hopes up" At which point nobody in the crowd had a fucking clue what he was talking about. Five seconds later they bust into the song Retard.

High Gears
    These guys were pretty cool. I hadn't known at the time, but I'd had a short conversation with their vocalist earlier. Anyway he was a really funny big guy and came out saying "We're not as fast as the last band, and for the most part we just rip off riffs from your dads record collection" and immediately the band started playing a song with a Stranglehold riff. They played a couple more songs and offered a free shirt to the first person who could guess what the riff from their next song was. It was a Blue Oyester Cult song, that is about as much as I know...and it wasn't Godzilla.

Valient Thorr
    These gentlemen hit the stage around 11:30 and just plowed through the set. Valient also get an A+ for crowd interaction. At one point Valient jumped off the stage and started gesturing for everyone to sit on the ground. By now the crowd is at maybe 25 people, 15 of which joined in sitting. Turns out we were gonna start rowing toward the stage, was pretty fun. Shortly after we had to take a short break to restring one of the guitars, but it didn't take long at all. Right before the final song kicked in, we had to take another break to fix the footpedal. Valient started mentioning that they were in fact looking for string sponsors, drum sponsors, and beer sponsors. He introduced one song as a song about getting girls numbers, or guys numbers in the case of the few girls present. Asked one girl "Do you have a little black book? Full of midgets?....Oh, neither do I...it's red" Set ended up being a couple minutes over an hour, and there was a huge reaction to the final song chosen by the band, they said other than the previous night, it was their first time playing it since writing it. That song happened to be No Holds Barred. After that the bar started to empty out, a couple people stood around and shook hands with the band, as did I. I ended up being the first and from what I gather only person to ask to grab a setlist. Valient told me to jump up and grab one, so I did haha. 12 song set handwritten on the back of a flier for another event somewhere in Ohio that I have no clue of. I'll post a pic later.
    image Photobucket
  • Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,596 spicy boy

so what do you guys think of that set list? i believe 40 songs or so! fucking epic...i will post a full in depth review when im not dead tired and have recovered from work lol
  • XenoXeno Posts: 21,031 master of ceremonies
  • HOODSHOODS Posts: 41,866 destroyer of motherfuckers

so what do you guys think of that set list? i believe 40 songs or so! fucking epic...i will post a full in depth review when im not dead tired and have recovered from work lol
    holy fuck thats an awesome set... what'd they jam for 3 hrs?
    not sure exactly how long it was...but i was literally in the perfect spot on the rail...right in front of jamie...i mean sure he moved...but this was the main spot he was at
  • OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy
    The played Spitting Venom finally I see...
    I love winning with women
  • AdamAdam Posts: 11,533 balls deep
    That hatebreed set rules.
    you could see it in jamie's eyes that they wanted this to be a special night for the people who came....he talked many times about how many people showed up on 12 hours notice....and that they wanted to let people know they came here to play no matter what other BS that had been going on with there contract....i know its cliche of a band member to bring up there favorite shows....but he talked about a tour that came threw here with type o negative and he said it was one of his favorite shows ever...and he said that he wanted this show to top that...i know band members say shit like that a lot...but man look at that set list!!!!
    he also talked about how they had to leave for germany in the morning and that they we not going to take to night off and disappointing the people in this area
  • TiradesOfTruthTiradesOfTruth Posts: 8,055 destroyer of motherfuckers
    fuck I really wanted to go but with 12 hours notice I couldn't find a ride.
    that sucks ...it truly was a special night man....those guys tore it up...im so happy i got a pick and more importantly the set list...i didn't see any of the roadies hand out any other set list either....when HB went off stage i was still center rail and i yelled "hey gimmie the set list" and the roadie asked me what i said he didn't hear me...and i told him again and he brought it to me....was awesome its the first time iv ever gotten anything from a show

• TiradesOfTruthTiradesOfTruth Posts: 8,055 destroyer of motherfuckers
    that sucks ...it truly was a special night man....those guys tore it up...im so happy i got a pick and more importantly the set list...i didn't see any of the roadies hand out any other set list either....when HB went off stage i was still center rail and i yelled "hey gimmie the set list" and the roadie asked me what i said he didn't hear me...and i told him again and he brought it to me....was awesome its the first time iv ever gotten anything from a show

I can't get over the set. I can't believe I was 3 hours away while they were killing it.
    well they weren't happy with COC either...it says on there website to demand your ticket refund for it lol....they were on a mission last night and i can't imagine how they could be any better...it was insane
    damn, i seen HB like 20 times and only twice have they played a set like that... once on their album release night when the rise of brutality came out, and once on their 15 year anniversary in january! and it wasnt free...... glad you had fun rex!
  • BrianBrian Posts: 17,611 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Diamond Plate release show was fun. Both Lich King and Diamond Plate covered The Four Horsemen. Lich King was sick. I'm probably in the DP vid because I was in the circle pit the entire time for the last take where they had a cam guy filming the pit.
    nike Pictures, Images and PhotosTUPAC IS DEAD/THE LEGEND IS GONE/THEY SAYIN TUPAC'S BACK?/DEM NIGGAS WRONG
    Diamond Plate release show was fun. Both Lich King and Diamond Plate covered The Four Horsemen. Lich King was sick. I'm probably in the DP vid because I was in the circle pit the entire time for the last take where they had a cam guy filming the pit.
    tl;dr
  • MarcTheFallenMarcTheFallen Posts: 26,661 master of ceremonies
    you could see it in jamie's eyes that they wanted this to be a special night for the people who came....he talked many times about how many people showed up on 12 hours notice....and that they wanted to let people know they came here to play no matter what other BS that had been going on with there contract....i know its cliche of a band member to bring up there favorite shows....but he talked about a tour that came threw here with type o negative and he said it was one of his favorite shows ever...and he said that he wanted this show to top that...i know band members say shit like that a lot...but man look at that set list!!!!
    That was the Jager Tour with Type O. That was such an amazing show for sure.
    The played Spitting Venom finally I see...
    Ozzfest 07 nicca
    Fuck Diamond Plate. Kittie can out thrash those faggots.