Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Concert Review Thread

Comments

• Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,596 spicy boy
    so alice cooper played rock on the rapids tonight.....i have seen a lot of shows....and he played so many songs i can't name a set list....but as a metal head who has seen a lot of shows he ranks in my top 4-5 shows ever...was amazing!!!!! ^:)^ \m/
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    So did Megadeth drop off?
  • SkullAndCrossbonesSkullAndCrossbones Posts: 16,452 destroyer of motherfuckers
    No.
    No.
    No.
    No.
    No.
    No.
    No.
    No.
    No.
    No.
    No.
    No.
    No.
    No.
    "That's another thing I love about metal, it's so fuckin' huge yet certain people don't even know it exists." - Rob Zombie
  • FLATFLAT Posts: 60,664 spicy boy
    Kevin Fuller band - some country band. got drunk, danced with some 30 something year old, made out with her in the parking lot. therefore 10/10
  • That_Guy_ArloThat_Guy_Arlo Posts: 14,026 master of ceremonies
    Upon a Burning Body: first band i saw that day, meh to me. Generic deathcore, their breakdowns had me headbanging but i wasn't a very big fan, pretty sure i saw Arlo headbanging on the rail lol.
    Indeed you did :-bd They were the reason I got there early.

Anyways since I don't feel like typing all that much I'll do a quickie review of the Dallas Mayhem Fest from a few days ago:

Upon A Burning Body - Freaking rocked! Was front center the whole time, also got my program autographed by the bassist & lead singer. 8.5/10

Straight Line Stitch - Skipped

Red Fang - Skipped

All Shall Perish - Amazing show, 5th time seeing this band and I can't wait for the 6th. Lead singer needs to cut his hair though. 9/10

Kingdom Of Sorrow - Skipped

Suicide Silence - BR00TAL. AS. FUCK. Seriously though this may have been my favorite performance of the entire day. Loved the new songs and god damn those bass drops were divine. 9.5/10

Unearth - Badass as usual. Never have seen a bad show form these guys. Loved it when the guitar player went up on the bike ramp. 8/10

Machine Head - Skipped

Powderburn - Skipped

Trivium - IIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNN WWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAVVVEEEEEEEESSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!! 8/10

Megadeth - Loved them!! I'm not exactly a listener of this band but I'll for sure finally start getting around to listening to them on a regular basis after their performance. Sad they had to cut their set short but I enjoyed every second I got to see of them. 9/10

Godsmack - Affliction metal FTW. But yeah I used to listen to this band all the time so I was singing along to pretty much every song. Had a blast watching these guys. 9/10

Disturbed - Same exact show as what I saw at Uproar but thankfully I didn't really care too much knowing how much of a Disturbed fanboy I am. The "Walk" cover was pretty cool too. Sad to see them going on a hiatus. 8.5/10
  • streetsstreets Posts: 3,351 just the tip
    edited August 2011
    Upon a Burning Body: first band i saw that day, meh to me. Generic deathcore, their breakdowns had me headbanging but i wasn't a very big fan, pretty sure i saw Arlo headbanging on the rail lol.
    Indeed you did :-bd They were the reason I got there early.

Anyways since I don't feel like typing all that much I'll do a quickie review of the Dallas Mayhem Fest from a few days ago:

Upon A Burning Body - Freaking rocked! Was front center the whole time, also got my program autographed by the bassist & lead singer. 8.5/10

Straight Line Stitch - Skipped

Red Fang - Skipped

All Shall Perish - Amazing show, 5th time seeing this band and I can't wait for the 6th. Lead singer needs to cut his hair though. 9/10

Suicide Silence - BR00TAL. AS. FUCK. Seriously though this may have been my favorite performance of the entire day. Loved the new songs and god damn those bass drops were divine. 9.5/10

Unearth - Badass as usual. Never have seen a bad show form these guys. Loved it when the guitar player went up on the bike ramp. 8/10

Machine Head - Skipped

Powderburn - Skipped

Trivium - IIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNN WWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAVVVEEEEEEEESSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!! 8/10

Megadeth - Loved them!! I'm not exactly a listener of this band but I'll for sure finally start getting around to listening to them on a regular basis after their performance. Sad they had to cut their set short but I enjoyed every second I got to see of them. 9/10

Godsmack - Affliction metal FTW. But yeah I used to listen to this band all the time so I was singing along to pretty much every song. Had a blast watching these guys. 9/10

Disturbed - Same exact show as what I saw at Uproar but thankfully I didn't really care too much knowing how much of a Disturbed fanboy I am. The "Walk" cover was pretty cool too. Sad to see them going on a hiatus. 8.5/10
  • Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,596 spicy boy
    edited August 2011
    Kevin Fuller band - some country band. got drunk, danced with some 30 something year old, made out with her in the parking lot. therefore 10/10

LOL nice, iv been busy the last couple days so i haven't been able to talk about how good alice cooper was...i was very impressed, and i brought a chick home from the show...truly was an epic night...and an epic weekend 9.5/10 for alice

• XenoXeno Posts: 21,031 master of ceremonies

Red Fang - Skipped

Machine Head - Skipped

• KridesBrideBrittKridesBrideBritt Posts: 25,781 jayfacer

Machine Head - Skipped

What the fuck is wrong with you? [-(
    kristianPhotobucketPhotobucket Trephination-Tuesday Nights/Wednesday Mornings...11pm-1am- http://wrsu.rutgers.edu/listen.html
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,722 mod
    Son, I am proud. :-bd \m/
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
  • AdamAdam Posts: 11,533 balls deep
    edited August 2011
    I would never miss KOS or Machine Head live.
  • TiradesOfTruthTiradesOfTruth Posts: 8,055 destroyer of motherfuckers
    edited September 2011
    Dirt Fest 2011--Birch Run Expo Center--August 13, 2011

One day I was listening to my local radio station and heard that All That Remains, Alien Ant Farm, Times Of Grace, etc. were coming to this local festival that has been around since 1997. I figured for $20 to see a a good amount of awesome bands why not. So I arrive at 11:30 and gates would open at noon already their was a long ass line. My group and I got in the gates exactly at noon and what was even better was they gave us wristbands for us to leave and come back whenever. Right when we got in the gates they were selling the band times on a sheet of paper for $1, those bastards. You could tell bands like Hawthorne Heights and Silverstein brought the warped kids. Then the bands like Pop Evil and Evans Blue brought the radio rock fans. But their was also a shitload of metal heads there to see Times Of Grace and All That Remains. So we looked at the set times and saw burn halo was playing so we went off to watch them.

Burn Halo- They were what you would call generic radio rock, I have heard only a couple of their songs on the radio. They had good stage presence but no one really cared then about 3/4 through their set I heard some heavier stuff and left Burn Halo to do what they do play songs that no one really cares about. 5/10

When I left their was this band call Margin Of Error a typical metalcore band that really wanted to be All That Remains. Anyways when about 5 guys started a pit some dumbass security guy tried to stop it but just got sucked in that was kinda funny watching him not knowing what to do. So after Margin Of Error we had an hour until the next band so we went out to our car and chilled. As we got back in we saw Psychostick was coming on so we rushed over to the Party Armour stage(one of 5 stages).

Psychostick- They were fucking fun as hell. I have only heard one of their songs and it was the beer song. But they had classics such as Piece Of Shit Car, This is not a song it's a sandwich, Because Boobs, and of course Beer. This was the first real pit of the day and they had us do the slowest circle pit ever it was cool it looked like it was in slow motion. At the end they told whoever had a beer hold it up and whoever didn't either put up a shoe, or tampon thank god I don't think anyone held one up. 8/10

As we walk over to the main stage we see that they are already 30 min. behind and this local band called It Lies Within was coming on and my friend said they were good so we checked them out.

It Lies Within- These guys were alot heavier then I expected with a little bit of Hardcore mixed in with metalcore it was interesting. They called for a pit right away and got this huge ass pit too bad the radio rock crowd couldn't stay up in it which caused a huge pile of bodies in the middle. Near the end of the set they called for a wall of death which split the whole place apart and when he said 3 the chaos began. Their was people flying everywhere then a huge fight between two guys started and I almost got caught in the middle of it. 7/10

We then went to the drink line after about a 30 minute wait and a nice conversatio talking about how Hatebreed kicked major ass at Mayhem Fest we got out drinks and saw that Psychostick was signing and talking at their tent so we stopped by. When we walked up the bassist congratulated everyone on how we became a green state. Got my ticket signed by the singer and talked to them for a little bit they are really chill dudes who love to just have fun. After that we check and see Beast In The Field were coming on and I was told that I gotta see them so I wasn't going to miss them.

Best In The Field- As we walk up to the stage their is about 50 people watching them and I was like ok this shall be laid back. Well I was wrong as soon they came on everyone just headbanged and was a really great time. I had no Idea thy were a two-piece band so I was surprised how heavy they got. They are a great doom metal band I suggest if you have a chance to see them go and see them. At the end the drummer said now it is time to get baptized so my friend went over to the rail and the drummer pulled him up on stage and got some fake blood and smeared it on his face and laid him down and told him a prayer. They were also loud as hell now I get why people said you should have worn earplugs. 9/10

Egypt Central- After Beast In The Field was Egypt Central, We walk up and they come on and sound really heavy for what songs I have heard from them. They had a nice pit which was fun and everyone seemed to love them not much else to say. 7/10

Times Of Grace- We skipped Evans blue and came back in time for Times Of Grace. By this time the warped tour people went over to watch Hawthorne Heights so it was a very metal crowd. When they started Adam D just come out tunes his guitar and throws beer into the crowd. They opened with Strength In Numbers and went on through their album. At this one point someone through a beer up by Adam and he just flipped him off and said "better make the next one count faggot".He came up on the guard rail and played his solo for The Hymn Of A Broken Man right next to me so that was cool. Only thing was that Jesse's mic was turned really far down and was sometimes hard to hear. 8/10

Pop Evil- Now after Times Of Grace was pop evil and I had no intention on watching them but I had 2nd row but I had to piss so I went and pissed and watched them from the back and started to make my way up to the front by my friends where I saw two topless chicks dancing so I stood their for awhile. Anyways all through the show I was trying to figure out who they sound like then it his me Whitsnake. At the end the singer went on long speech about Justin Bieber and Marilyn Manson. 6/10

Alien Ant Farm- I found my friends who I left just in time for Alien Ant Farm. I was wondering all day why no one was crowd surfing well during alien ant farm it began and it was almost non-stop just waves of hot chicks and huge fucking dudes trying to crowd surf. About two sings in the security tried to stop them by coming into the crowd and they started to yank the people down by the feet and some big dude got pulled down and he flipped off the security guy and shoved him and the security left to a bunch of asshole chants. anyways back to the performance Alien Ant Farm were awesome getting very energetic and sounded incredible compared to everyone except All that Remains. 8/10
    Courage
    What I Feel Is Mine
    Forgive & Forget
    Godlike
    Movies
    Sticks and Stones
    Wish
    Sympatico
    S.S. Recognize
    Smooth Criminal

And now the main reason I came was All That remains and now the concert was about 45 minutes behind schedule but the show went on. The crow was ready. As soon as ATR started about 4 pits opened up right by us and the crowd surfing was never ending. They may have played almost entirely new stuff but it sounded great and they looked like they were having fun. About two songs in some warped tour kid kept telling people to stop headbanging so hard because their hair was hitting them and the people just didn't even listen. I saw those two leave after a crowd surfer hit them. Phil was all over the place looking like madman throwing water on people. At one point Adam D. was watching them play and Phil made this joke about how everybody in Times Of Grace in gay and you see Adam D. just dying over on the side. All in all they played my favorite song which is This Calling and at the end I caught a pick which is my first pick ever so that was cool.
    9/10
    Now Let Them Tremble
    For We Are Many
    The Last Time
    Forever In Your Hands
    Six
    Hold On
    Aggressive Opposition
    The Air That I Breathe
    Some of the People, All of the Time
    Won't Go Quietly
    This Calling
    Two Weeks

Overall it's nothing like any major touring festival but it is nice to drive a very short distance and see one of my favorite bands. Even though security were complete assholes it was a fun day and if the line up is good next year I will be there.

Post edited by TiradesOfTruth on
    no Evans Blue? i am disappoint
    ATR need to play more stuff off the fall of ideals.

Pop Evil- Now after Times Of Grace was pop evil and I had no intention on watching them but I had 2nd row but I had to piss so I went and pissed and watched them from the back and started to make my way up to the front by my friends where I saw two topless chicks dancing so I stood their for awhile. Anyways all through the show I was trying to figure out who they sound like then it his me Whitsnake. At the end the singer went on long speech about Justin Bieber and Marilyn Manson. 6/10

i always thought they kind of sounded like 3 Doors Down
    ATR need to play more stuff off the fall of ideals.
    I know right.

i always thought they kind of sounded like 3 Doors Down
    Their bassist just reminded me of Whitesnake for some reason.
    I like overcome and the new album but the fall of ideas is ATR at their best.
  • FLATFLAT Posts: 60,664 spicy boy
    Pyschostick is fucking great. Rawrb is a funny dude