Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Concert Review Thread

Comments

• That_Guy_ArloThat_Guy_Arlo Posts: 14,026 master of ceremonies
    Well first off lazarus A.D's bus broke down so they didn't play
    10/10 show
    They aren't that bad <_>
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,722 mod
    They're good live. :-|
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
  • 1D_for_life1D_for_life Posts: 13,785 destroyer of motherfuckers
    I'll post a review of the Stick Tight 2011 tour soon
  • laurjohn2laurjohn2 Posts: 6,951 balls deep
    I don't really feel like writing a review becuase I went to the Destruction and Cavelera Conspiracy show at Harpos and was very dissapointed. Well first off lazarus A.D's bus broke down so they didn't play. Then Heathen also didn't play for some unknown reason. Wow then Destruction played a good show but it was only 11 songs. Then my friend I went with said that the setlist had 19 songs listed on it. We left about 5 songs into Cavelera Conspiracy, I just have no desire to see him.
    Damn...i have Destruction and Heathen on thursday. Heathen better be there.....
    I don't really feel like writing a review becuase I went to the Destruction and Cavelera Conspiracy show at Harpos and was very dissapointed. Well first off lazarus A.D's bus broke down so they didn't play. Then Heathen also didn't play for some unknown reason. Wow then Destruction played a good show but it was only 11 songs. Then my friend I went with said that the setlist had 19 songs listed on it. We left about 5 songs into Cavelera Conspiracy, I just have no desire to see him.
    Damn...i have Destruction and Heathen on thursday. Heathen better be there.....
    was this the VA show? This statement came out by Heathen back in April:

HEATHEN ISSUES STATEMENT REGARDING SPRINGFIELD, VA DATE ON UPCOMING NORTH AMERICAN TOUR

The members of Heathen have issued the following statement regarding the Springfield, VA date on their upcoming tour with Destruction:
    "Heathen will not be performing in Springfield, VA at Jaxx as noted on the venue's website and advertising. Destruction and Warbeast will be playing will some local support acts but Heathen is not on the bill for that show. We will, however, be playing at Bourbon Street Ballroom in Baltimore, MD. Anyone in the Springfield, DC or Baltimore area that wants to see Heathen live, please come on out to the Baltimore show on May 10th."

• SantanaSantana Posts: 16,743 juggalo
    ^ that show is this Friday
  • SantanaSantana Posts: 16,743 juggalo
    Woah wtf?? Acrassicauda is playing at my Destruction date...
    oh...guess i am worried about Heathen then. my show is thursday.
  • OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy
    KFMA Day 2011

Very fun time, aside from having to miss ATR. It was held at Tucson Electric Park (A baseball stadium) this year, so the setup was different. A few photos coming soon.

Sum 41 - Second time seeing them, lots of fun. They played most of their hits as well as half of Crazy Train, Master of Puppets, and a Van Halen song which was difficult to make out. 8/10

Black Label Society - Also my second time seeing them. Tons of weed during their set. All I know is that they played "Fire It Up." lol 7.5/10

Flogging Molly - Third time seeing them. Very very very energetic and fun set in which they played all of their greatest hits (including "If I Ever Leave This World Alive", which is one of my all time favorite songs.) My friends and I were jumping up and down through the whole set as was the crowd. FM never fails to put on a great set! For those of you who don't have a Facebook, we met two of the members at In N Out Burger as we were leaving the show. I asked one of them if they were still planning on playing St. Patty's Day in Tempe again next year and he said yes. Fuck yeah! 10/10

Hollywood Undead - Seeing as we were forced to miss ATR, these were they guys I came to see. Once again, they put on an incredible fucking set, playing all of their songs from last time plus "California." Four songs into their set and I couldn't fucking talk or breathe from screaming so much. I fucking love these guys. 11/10

We left before fake Sublime. lol
    I love winning with women
    What an interesting line-up that is lol

Disappointed about the 11/10 for Hollywood Undead but I'm glad to hear you skipped Sublime and enjoyed Flogging Molly.
    Arlo :-W
    Ohhhh yeah, you want my review of last night don't ya?

BTBAM w/ Job For A Cowboy, The Ocean - Dallas TX 5/9/2011

Didn't plan on going to this show when it was first announced since it was during finals week, but alas I had no finals the next day plus a couple friends told me they were going which of course got me to go as well. Got to the venue a little later than expected thanks to work inservice going till 6:30 though. Missed the local band and arrived as The Ocean was setting up. Remember to keep in mind I base my scores off of how much I personally enjoyed the set, so yeah, I'm gonna be biased towards certain bands that I'm more familiar with. Can't really help it.

The Ocean - Okay, I'm going to go ahead and apologize for this but they just didn't impress me all that much. If you are a fan, you'll probably love their set, great stage presence (especially from the singer!) and really well performed songs but I gotta admit I'm just not really into their style of music. I did enjoy their set for the most part, but a big part of me was kinda waiting for them to finish up. 6/10

Job For A Cowboy - Don't be shocked when you hear that this was by far the biggest reason I came to this concert. This was my 4th time seeing JFAC and unlike Jacob I had the funnest time during their set. They sounded amazing to me and put on an incredible show.Played everything I could have hoped for including Ruination (the song) which has become one of my favorites from them. I stayed right up front the entire time once again although it was far more rough than the previous band. Tons of crowdsurfers/stagediving which of course I couldn't help but join in on. This was my favorite performance from them of all the times I've seen them, I swear I felt like I was pass out a few different times but somehow I was able to make it through their set. Definitely a band I'll never get bored of, and one which has been a favorite of mine since I started getting into really heavy music back in early/mid 2008. Can't wait for their new EP! 9.5/10

Between The Buried And Me - I came into this show hearing a lot of good things about this group and oh my god did they ever deliver! These guys impressed the hell out of me even though I'm not very familiar with much of their stuff. Great sound throughout their set and a stage presence that make the venue go nuts the entire time. Stayed more towards the back during their set but still really enjoyed myself from what I saw of them. I did miss like 5-10 min of their set though while I went to a 7-11 across the street to get some Gatorade, but hey, it was like an hour and a half set so I figured I wasn't missing too much. I'd like to know more material from this band next time I see them and I think I'd have a lot better time. The crowd all seemed to be really into them and their songs were outstanding so I'd definitely try to catch them next time they come around. 8/10

You should apologize..... :-W Good review though.

Now if Slap would post his review..... :-W
    Working on my review right now...

By the way that show sounded like a lot of fun Arlo
    edited May 2011
    STICK TIGHT 2011

This past Sunday, I went to Terror’s Stick Tight tour at Trees in Dallas with a few friends. The lineup was absolutely fantastic with Terror headlining, Stick To Your Guns, Trapped Under Ice, Close Your Eyes, and Your Demise as direct support. This was the first time that I had been to Trees and it seemed pretty cool (except the height of the stage). We arrived about 15 minutes before the door opened and once we got in we headed straight for the merch booth. I bought a Terror t- shirt for $15 as well as a sick poster for $5. After this, we casually made our way to the stage in order to see Messengers (a prominent local band).

Messengers: I have seen these guys at a much smaller venue and they were just as awesome then as they were now. Luckily, when you go to a hardcore show the local band tends to get a lot of support as well because you get a lot of the same crowd at any hardcore show. It was Andy Rhodes last show with them and they definitely made the most of it. They had a great stage presence and got the crowd warmed up for the rest of the show.
    Overall Rating: 7/10

Your Demise: I had not heard of these British guys until the show. In my opinion, they put on a great show but the crowd didn’t seem to be into them a very much. They were probably the weakest act thanks to crowd reaction. Even if you’re unfamiliar with them at least give them respect unless they just flat out suck! Your Demise is definitely a band that I’ll be checking out in the future.
    Overall Rating: 6.8/10

Close Your Eyes: The other Texas product (Abilene, Texas) that played. During the car ride to Dallas, my friend Mitchell was playing them in the care so I got to hear them prior to the show. The clean vocals gave their music a bit of a pop-punk sound in some songs. The crowd seemed to dig them and I really enjoyed their set. I’ll be checking them out more later.
    Overall Rating: 7.5/10

Trapped Under Ice: Baltimore hardcore at its finest. These guys fucking rule and their live show fucking rules too! They opened up with my personal favorite, Believe, and the crowd went crazy. This was the first time that I had to jump out of the way on my crutches from stage divers and the pits. I don’t what else to about them except these guys tore it up. STAY COLD-AH!
    Overall Rating: 9/10

Stick To Your Guns: Right after TUI, I went back to the bar to get some water and hangout by the merch stand to hopefully see some band members. They started their set and I was still back there so I had to be behind the pits this time around. All of the “older” more traditional hardcore guys in the crowd kind of backed away for STYG to where I was at. I really like these guys but it felt like something was lacking in their set. I don’t know if it was because I was too anxious for Terror or something else. They played their typical setlist and I enjoyed it but not to the degree that I was expecting to. Anyways, they ended their set with This Is More and the place erupted and screamed “Rest assured, that with a heart that’s pure we’ll be victorious and not let our hate get the best of us!” I hope that the next time I see them I am able to enjoy it more.
    Overall Rating: 6.8/10

Terror: By far my favorite hardcore band ever. They were the ones who introduced me to the genre and I finally got to see them live! I was so antsy after STYG because Terror would come out from behind those curtains any minute. I grabbed a spot on the rail (there was no rail but oh well) off to the side thanks to my stupid, injured leg and stayed put for the set. The curtains were pulled and fucking TERROR was only a few feet from me! They opened up with Stick Tight and the crowd nearly tore the building down. During the middle of the song, Scott Vogel, pointed and stared me down as I was screaming every word to Stick Tight (I was like fuckyeah.jpg). Terror continued and the crowd kept getting even more insane! Scott cracked a few jokes as well regarding the stage crew giving him a new mic. He jokingly said “I fucked Vince Neil one time……ew”! Anyways, I have never seen so many stage dives in my entire life and I was worried a giant guy would land on me while I’m standing there on my crutches. Luckily it never happened. Considering the fact that this was a Terror show at a venue that has been notorious for having the dick security guards that hurl fans off the stage, it went quite well. There was hardly any security to be honest. They were really chill and let us pretty much do whatever we wanted. Throughout the set, the crowd was screaming every word (as was I) and “[tore] this place a new asshole!” (Vogelisms FTW). They ended the set with their new hardcore anthem Keepers of the Faith which was so powerful to actually see it live. Terror tore Trees up and I cannot wait to see them back in town especially because I won’t be injured next time.
    Overall Rating: 11/10 (Yes, I went there)
  • MenAreTrashMenAreTrash Posts: 27,667 spicy boy
    Now if Slap would post his review..... :-W
    Let me go get it from Metalsetlists.
  • MenAreTrashMenAreTrash Posts: 27,667 spicy boy
    edited May 2011
    So I got to the venue, and found some rail at the far left, facing the stage. As I was watiting for my dad to catch up, our good friend, Cheeze, came around and snagged a spot on the rail too. We talked a bit in between sets and stuff. I then got a Powerglove shirt and went back to my spot and waited for the show to start

Blackguard was up first. They're basically second-hand Children of Bodom. They were failry decent, and I liked the energy that the singer brought. I couldn't hear the lead guitarist. Facing the stage, he was to the very right, but I had a problem hearing everybody who was on that side of the stage, so I won't give Blackguard shit for that. That's on the venue's ass. Either way, they were alright so yeah.

Powerglove was up next. They almost missed the show because their bus broke down in Portland. They had to use all of Blackguard's gear. They still had all their costumes and all of the swords 'n' stuff. I've been waiting 4 years to see these guys, and it was worth the wait. They put on a really good live show. I guess them starting with Terra's Theme is a little preview with what we'll be getting with their next album, so I'm excited for that. Instead of a "Fuck that bird" chant before Storm Eagle, they had everybody chant "Fuck that van" since they're van broke down in Oregon. As usual, they threw out swords and a hammer during Metal Kombat, but they only had a few. I don't know if that's because their van brokedown or if that's just what they do, but I was hoping to get one. No big deal though. Red Wings Over Baron was fucking glorious in the live setting. I screamed/sang my heart out during Pokémon. They did awesome and I can't wait to see them again.

Powerglove
    Terra's Theme
    X-Men
    Storm Eagle
    Metal Kombat For Mortal Men \m/
    Red Wings Over Baron =P~
    Omnishred
    Tetris
    Pokémon \m/
    Mario Minor \m/ \m/

That's how I felt the whole time while watching Symphony X. They really impressed me. I didn't think I was going to enjoy them as much as I did. The guitarist, Michael Romeo, is a fucking monster. Being right in front of him just and watching him do his this put my in a state of awe. I was little disappointed they only played one off of TDWOT, since it's by far my favorite album of theirs, but it was still amazing. The band played really well. The Odyssey was just jaw-dropping live.

Symphony X

Oculus Ex Inferni
    Of Sins and Shadows \m/
    Domination
    Serpent's Kiss
    End of Innocence
    Paradise Lost
    Smoke and Mirrors
    Eve of Seduction \m/
    Dehumanized \m/
    Set the World on Fire (The Lie of Lies)
    Encore:
    The Odyssey ^:)^

Blackguard: 7/10
    Powerglove: 8.5/10
    Symphony X: 9.5/10
    Post edited by MenAreTrash on
  • RAZORRAZOR Posts: 7,664 jayfacer
    REVIEWS.
    REVIEWS EVERYWHERE.
    imageimage
  • MetalSSlayerMetalSSlayer Posts: 6,164 destroyer of motherfuckers

Powerglove was up next. As usual, they threw out swords and a hammer during Metal Kombat, but they only had a few. I don't know if that's because their van brokedown or if that's just what they do, but I was hoping to get one.
    They only threw out 2 swords and a hammer here. The guy next to me got one of the swords.
    REVIEWS.
    REVIEWS EVERYWHERE.
    :))