Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Concert Review Thread

Comments

• SantanaSantana Posts: 16,743 juggalo
    "Fooled around for a while and left for the venue around noon"
    You have no idea how huge my eyes got when I read that. That was unexpected in the review lol....resuming reading now.... :-S
  • KridesBrideBrittKridesBrideBritt Posts: 25,781 jayfacer
    5/2- An evening w/ Amon Amarth- Jaxx- SOLD OUT

We had our house sitter who is our stripper friend come over around 10. Fooled around for a while and left for the venue around noon. It was about a 300 mile drive and wasn't that bad getting there until we got about 5 miles away from the venue and there was a shit ton of new road work that my GPS didn't have maps for. We ended up getting lost When my GPS finally came back, we were like 10 miles away from the venue which really pissed me off.

So, we get to Jaxx around 6 and there was only a dozen of people outside. So, we decided to go over to 7-11 and get slurpees. I clogged their toilet then proceeded to go get in line. I have to say that Jaxx is the most piss poor, shittily managed, venue that I've ever had the disadvantage of going to. Door were at 7 and at 655 a fat ass came out and started checking IDs. Asshole gave me a hard time because he couldn't figure out how to read a NC license. 7:00 comes by, 7:15..... around 7:40 they finally open the doors. I quickly go to the merch stand and buy a surtur rising tour shirt and get a chair for Judy. The show was supposed to start at 8:00. Amon Amarth did not come on stage until 8:55.

Set 1: Surtur rising in it's entirety. I have to admit I think my expectations for this set were a little too high. Most of the crowd was not really familiar w/ the material and admittedly there is a couple songs from myself as well that I haven't listened too all that much. Another reason why I despise Jaxx is because for some reason they decided it would be a good idea to run the drums, bass, and vocals through both stacks but run the guitars seperately. So, I was standing on the right side of the stage and one guitar was completely over powering the other. Regardless, what was coming through the stack sounded just like the album. Johan's vocals were spot on. Another sound complaint I have about Jaxx is they turn their highs up WAY too much. There were certain notes on the guitar that would physically hurt my ears even WITH earplugs. Crowd really didn't move that much except for Destroyer of the Universe and A beast Am I. The last stand of frej was heavy as fuck and Wrath of the Norrisman was brutal. Lights go down, Amon Amarth leaves stage and I spend 20 minutes waiting in line for the slowest fucking bar tenders on the planet trying to get a water but Amon Amarth comes back on stage even before I can get my water. 9/10

Set 2: As soon as the lights went down the second time, you could tell the real show was about to start. During the first riffs of TOTTG you could tell the first set was Amon Amarth opening up for Amon Amarth, literally and figuratively. The energy was incredible. The pit was going constantly. Then they played it, the song that I've been watiing for years to hear live, With Odin on our side. My favorite Amon Amarth song. That song live was the best experience of my entire concert life. The place went insane for The guardian of Asguard as well as Asator. You literally could not stand still for more than a second w/out being pushed into. The only thing that disappointed me about this set was the medley. While it was awesome to see Gods of War played live, I wish it would have been in its entirety. Also, they cut out the best parts of Death and Fire. The crowds participation for the Pursuit of Vikings was thunderous. All in all, this is quite possibly the best show I've been to in my entire life. 13.14 / 10

If you are even remotely a fan of Amon Amarth, this is the end all, be all show that you should go to or should have gone to. I doubt I will ever see them in finer form.
    \m/ I hope I can make it Friday. Did they play Live For the Kill?
    kristianPhotobucketPhotobucket Trephination-Tuesday Nights/Wednesday Mornings...11pm-1am- http://wrsu.rutgers.edu/listen.html
  • ShaneShane Posts: 15,229 balls deep
    You have no idea how huge my eyes got when I read that. That was unexpected in the review lol....resuming reading now.... :-S
    Amon Amarth + 3way = best day ever.

We had our house sitter who is our stripper friend come over around 10. Fooled around for a while and left for the venue around noon. It was about a 300 mile drive and wasn't that bad getting there until we got about 5 miles away from the venue and there was a shit ton of new road work that my GPS didn't have maps for. We ended up getting lost When my GPS finally came back, we were like 10 miles away from the venue which really pissed me off.

So, we get to Jaxx around 6 and there was only a dozen of people outside. So, we decided to go over to 7-11 and get slurpees. I clogged their toilet then proceeded to go get in line. I have to say that Jaxx is the most piss poor, shittily managed, venue that I've ever had the disadvantage of going to. Door were at 7 and at 655 a fat ass came out and started checking IDs. Asshole gave me a hard time because he couldn't figure out how to read a NC license. 7:00 comes by, 7:15..... around 7:40 they finally open the doors. I quickly go to the merch stand and buy a surtur rising tour shirt and get a chair for Judy. The show was supposed to start at 8:00. Amon Amarth did not come on stage until 8:55.

Set 1: Surtur rising in it's entirety. I have to admit I think my expectations for this set were a little too high. Most of the crowd was not really familiar w/ the material and admittedly there is a couple songs from myself as well that I haven't listened too all that much. Another reason why I despise Jaxx is because for some reason they decided it would be a good idea to run the drums, bass, and vocals through both stacks but run the guitars seperately. So, I was standing on the right side of the stage and one guitar was completely over powering the other. Regardless, what was coming through the stack sounded just like the album. Johan's vocals were spot on. Another sound complaint I have about Jaxx is they turn their highs up WAY too much. There were certain notes on the guitar that would physically hurt my ears even WITH earplugs. Crowd really didn't move that much except for Destroyer of the Universe and A beast Am I. The last stand of frej was heavy as fuck and Wrath of the Norrisman was brutal. Lights go down, Amon Amarth leaves stage and I spend 20 minutes waiting in line for the slowest fucking bar tenders on the planet trying to get a water but Amon Amarth comes back on stage even before I can get my water. 9/10

Set 2: As soon as the lights went down the second time, you could tell the real show was about to start. During the first riffs of TOTTG you could tell the first set was Amon Amarth opening up for Amon Amarth, literally and figuratively. The energy was incredible. The pit was going constantly. Then they played it, the song that I've been watiing for years to hear live, With Odin on our side. My favorite Amon Amarth song. That song live was the best experience of my entire concert life. The place went insane for The guardian of Asguard as well as Asator. You literally could not stand still for more than a second w/out being pushed into. The only thing that disappointed me about this set was the medley. While it was awesome to see Gods of War played live, I wish it would have been in its entirety. Also, they cut out the best parts of Death and Fire. The crowds participation for the Pursuit of Vikings was thunderous. All in all, this is quite possibly the best show I've been to in my entire life. 13.14 / 10

If you are even remotely a fan of Amon Amarth, this is the end all, be all show that you should go to or should have gone to. I doubt I will ever see them in finer form.
    \m/ I hope I can make it Friday. Did they play Live For the Kill?
    Yes, he dedicated it to "the mother fuckers who killed Osama Bin Laden"
  • KridesBrideBrittKridesBrideBritt Posts: 25,781 jayfacer
    Fuck yeah.
    kristianPhotobucketPhotobucket Trephination-Tuesday Nights/Wednesday Mornings...11pm-1am- http://wrsu.rutgers.edu/listen.html
    Amon Amarth + 3way = best day ever.
    true that \m/
    "I have to say that Jaxx is the most piss poor, shittily managed, venue that I've ever had the disadvantage of going to"

most of the time they're pretty good but when they're not good, they're bad. I love the venue though.
    "I have to say that Jaxx is the most piss poor, shittily managed, venue that I've ever had the disadvantage of going to"

most of the time they're pretty good but when they're not good, they're bad. I love the venue though.
    Jaxx is a horrible venue, if you went to a venue like Volume 11 the next time would went back to jaxx you would be like WTF.
    Well, I wish I was at that show./ Looks like it was lots of fun

I have to say though though that even if the guitars were run through the stacks, I think Jaxx runs the stage left guitar through the stage left stack and the stage right guitar through the stage right stack. Either way, I'm surprised they let the guitars just play through their own stacks.

I have to agree the bartenders are terribly slow.

About sound again. I have heard a lot of complaints about Jaxx and while I agree with some, I have to say when they're on, they're spot on and it's a great show. Everything was so clear when I saw Suffocation

Jaxx is a horrible venue, if you went to a venue like Volume 11 the next time would went back to jaxx you would be like WTF.
    The two reasons I love Jaxx are 1. "I have to say when they're on, they're spot on and it's a great show"
    and 2. The size of the place. The stage is barely off the ground and everyone is so close to the band and the pit is small
    edited May 2011

I have to say though though that even if the guitars were run through the stacks, I think Jaxx runs the stage left guitar through the stage left stack and the stage right guitar through the stage right stack. Either way, I'm surprised they let the guitars just play through their own stacks.

About sound again. I have heard a lot of complaints about Jaxx and while I agree with some, I have to say when they're on, they're spot on and it's a great show. Everything was so clear when I saw Suffocation
    they did exactly that stage left guitar was run through stage left stack and vise versa . if you weren't in the middle one stack would completely overpower the other.

thats why i love V11, they run everything through both stacks

The two reasons I love Jaxx are 1. "I have to say when they're on, they're spot on and it's a great show"
    and 2. The size of the place. The stage is barely off the ground and everyone is so close to the band and the pit is small
    and 4/4 times i've been there, there has been glaring problems with the sound, the service and the doors opened at least 30 minutes past schedule every time

Volume 11 is smaller and there is no rail at all. you are right up against the stage. they aallow crowd surfing and stage diving as well as letting you in and out of the venue at will for over 21

they did exactly that stage left guitar was run through stage left stack and vise versa . if you weren't in the middle one stack would completely overpower the other.

thats why i love V11, they run everything through both stacks
    ohhh I gotcha. yeah that's another complaint I have. For recordings, I feel it should be one guitar in left, one guitar in right but for live it should be both guitars in both. At first I felt it should be just like the recording but you can't hear any solos if you're on the opposite side
    i fought my way into the middle for the second set so the sound wasn't as bad as the first set
    That's good. How do Johan pull of Frej?
    the only thing he wasn't ontop of was "with insane heat, all his fury is unleashed" which is really fast on album.
  • DreamtheaterDreamtheater Posts: 1,088 just the tip

i saw this show on the 18th in SF, was super fucking awesome \m/
    havent been an AA fan for too long, but i like dethklok so thats kinda how i got familiarized. amazing show, great energy, and johan is hysterical between songs. my only issue with the second set was the extreme movement, couldnt get and pictures or videos :/
    but what else do you expect at a show like that, my bad really \m/
  • Ace_Deputy_CheezeAce_Deputy_Cheeze Posts: 14,736 jayfacer
    it was on the 22nd....
    Deputy_Cheeze's Profile Page Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • MenAreTrashMenAreTrash Posts: 27,667 spicy boy
    edited May 2011
    it was on the 22nd....
    This

Dreamtheater just went full derp
    Youve got to be kidding, Jay.
    Symphony X is nothing but gay power metal.
    but theyre closer to dream theater in style, just faster and heavier. not that power-y really.. im seeing them sunday and cant wait \m/
    but i still think dream theater is better :D
    it was on the 22nd....
    argh, i meant that. thank you, my bad