Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Concert Review Thread

Comments

• Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,593 spicy boy
    OZZY

halford sucked 4/10

ozzy was good, he was not what i expected tho......8/10...was a good show but could have been better....good setlist......drinks were to much....was a good night tho but ozzy could have been better
  • HOODSHOODS Posts: 41,866 destroyer of motherfuckers
    edited December 2010
    Great review.
    1. Fuck you for seeing Misery Index. I've been dying to see them and they canceled on us the day of the DI show.

Misery Index is fucking dope as shit live! Sukcs they had to cancel on yooz. i seen them twice this fall. and going to see them on the JFAC, Skeletonwitch tour in like 2 weeks!
  • laurjohn2laurjohn2 Posts: 6,951 balls deep
    Review: Soulfly at Showcase Live in Foxboro, 12/07/10

I love Showcase Live. Venue is great. Not a bad spot in the place. Free tickets are allways a plus. Before i went in the show, i picked up a ticket to see UFO in May. did a brief look at the merch tables, but had no money to spend, so i really wasnt paying attention. Went into the club (about 30 minutes before the opening band came on), saw the VIP tables were emprty and took a seat. Music being played on the sound system was all metalcore....

Stryk Nine - metalcore band that i am not too familair with. they did a metalcore version of the Cranberries song Zombie, which was probably their highlight. played for 1/2 hour. 2 person circle pit during their set was another highlight. one of the two singers came into the crowd during their last song and participated in the pit

Desperate Union - should have not been on this tour. weren't totally bad, but equate them playing on this tour to Airborne playing on Mayhem, except with less talent. very bored. took a nap

Incite - when they first came out, sounded like a generic metalcore band. by the end, i really liked them. Pit got going during their set. played for 30 minues.

Straight Line Stitch - god aweful. best way i describe is generic female fronted screamo band. pit kept going during their set, but a big letdown after Incite

Soulfly - fully enjoyed their 90 minute set. Got a spot right behind the pit and got dragged in a few times. they played 6 Sepultura songs: Territory, Refuse / Resist, Arise, Dead Embryonic Cells, Roots Bloody Roots and Troops of Doom. Soulfly songs blended in good with them, from the intro of Blood Fire War Hate to the last song Eye for an Eye for an Eye for an Eye. Loved their set, and have no reason to see Sepultura in the spring

• Alec29Alec29 Posts: 3,864 juggalo
    Soulfly 12/2/10 "I'm tired so I'm going to half-ass this" review

Incite - Pretty cool sound, good energy. Got boring after a while. Singer has good stage presence.

Straight Line Stitch - Cute singer. Decent music, nothing special though. Singer was very attractive. They played a new song that was pretty cool. Drummer was wearing the shirt of a guy I know's band (who I think broke up). Singer was hot.

Soulfly - Awesome. Played the four Sep songs, as I had hoped. I normally don't mosh, but Troops Of Doom drew me in briefly. Tool crowd, including a scary fucking guy that looks like this dude:

So, what did you really think of the girl from Straight Line Stitch? LMAO

singer was black with a curt cobain hair-do...not that attractive. girls in the crowd were better
  • KridesBrideBrittKridesBrideBritt Posts: 25,781 jayfacer
    I still need to get Incite's full album. I only have their EP I got from the Cavalera show.
    kristianPhotobucketPhotobucket Trephination-Tuesday Nights/Wednesday Mornings...11pm-1am- http://wrsu.rutgers.edu/listen.html
    Was Incite's EP $10? thats what they were selling at my show
    Was Incite's EP $10? thats what they were selling at my show
    I got it for $3, but that was in 2008? Yeah, I think it was 2008. The "Divided We Fail" EP. The singer gave me a discount. :D

kristianPhotobucketPhotobucket Trephination-Tuesday Nights/Wednesday Mornings...11pm-1am- http://wrsu.rutgers.edu/listen.html
    ill go a little more in depth....but halford totally sucked he was boring and idk it was just lame...his voice sounded good be eh it just wasn't there....another thing i will add that even tho its ozzy but having seats just totally takes the energy out of the arena....this was the first show iv been to where i sat down for most of the set....ozzy sounded good for having a cold but he did mess up a few times...also the audio was disappointing it was hard to here or understand ozzy most of the night....that being said the music sounded good...the guitar player was alright...his drummer kicked ass tho...overall it was a good set tho...its just theres so many areas where he could have been better
    glad i saw ozzy and halford during the summer
    glad i saw ozzy during the summer
  • Alec29Alec29 Posts: 3,864 juggalo
    glad i saw ozzy and halford during the summer

I'd see them anytime of year though.
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,722 mod
    Ozzy was sick....it's not really his fault. In the past, 15 songs would have been considered a long set for him...
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
  • BrianBrian Posts: 17,611 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Territory
    Go fuck yourself.

Glad you had a good time.
    nike Pictures, Images and PhotosTUPAC IS DEAD/THE LEGEND IS GONE/THEY SAYIN TUPAC'S BACK?/DEM NIGGAS WRONG
  • That_Guy_ArloThat_Guy_Arlo Posts: 14,026 master of ceremonies
  • drinkwine732drinkwine732 Posts: 20,418 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Blind Guardian - 12/8

I usually start my reviews with a pre-concert story, a few concert paragraphs then a conclusion. This review will follow the same format, but in order for me to accurately tell the story of my pre-concert feelings, I have to turn back time to 11/19, the night I saw Marduk play a show. It was pouring. It was as if God had turned on his shower. It was crazy. When I got to the show, I texted my mom. Some would say that it's not metal to do so, but I disagree. There is nothing more kvlt than maintaining an awesome relationship with your parents.

"I drove like fucking Jesus."

It was true. My driving over the Bay Bridge could only be paralleled by the Son of Man. Even Jimmie Johnson would have crashed. Fast forward a few weeks, I'm preparing to go see Blind Guardian, legendary power metal band who still manage to keep me interested while singing about Lord of the Rings, etc. I look outside, and I might as well have been underwater. I had heard rumors that the entire San Francisco Bay had flooded, but I wasn't willing to check and see if they were true, I decided to go to the show. I'll spare you what could be an excellent story of danger and peril with a small romantic sub-plot, and just zoom to the text that I sent to my mom from the Regency Ballroom that night.

"I drove like Jesus' brother Carlos who has 1000 years more driving experience than him."

I entered the venue with Barack Obama-esque swagger to an annoying voice saying "Remember, we are Seven Kingdoms and we thank you." I opened the door expecting to see a crowd struck with catatonia, but instead the people were going crazy. I have known for quite some time that San Francisco has an awesome metal scene, yet I have never seen a crowd be so kind to an opening band. I for one, however, thought Seven Kingdoms were terrible. They were female fronted and like any other female fronted band, I have heard that their lead singer is "fucking hot." Much to my dismay, she looked like a shorter Kesha who had a run in with a tennis racket. I left to go check out some merch and was pretty happy when I heard them end their set.

About ten minutes later, Holy Grail hit the stage. I've heard mixed things about this band, and was unwilling to check them out beforehand. I thought they were pretty cool. The lead singer was beasting some high notes and the guitarists were trading some awesome riffs. Three songs later however, it started to get a little monotonous. I started to wonder if I really belong at this show. The crowd is acting as if it was Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin Eve and here I am just chillin.

I saw a set a few days ago where Blind Guardian did not play Sacred Worlds, and I nearly had a heart attack. Thus, I lost it at the string crescendo at the beginning of the song. I was immediately struck at how awful Hansi sounded. He sounded as if he had a terrible cold. Although he was able to bring out one of the high notes, (I'M IN CONTROL!), I was truly saddened at how the song turned out. However, by the next song he sounded a lot better. Guardian peppered in some of their fucking awesome tracks like Born in a Mourning Hall and Lost in the Twilight Hall and Hall of the Born Twilight. I really enjoyed the way the new tracks sound live, because their live mix makes the bass and backing vocals sound a ton better. I thought the crowd was fairly good, even though I can't say I wasn't expecting an awesome sing along and I would be a part of it. I was really hoping for Majesty but after Wheel of Time, I thought I wouldn't get it, and I was correct. Valhalla and Mirror, Mirror both sounded awesome, and Hansi really got into his groove there. I was really sad to see them leave the stage, but Hansi hinted that they would be back sooner rather than later.

This show was particularly interesting to me primarily because of the fact that I've never been to a power metal show before. It's really unlikely that I'll go to one again unless it's Blind Guardian, but I had a total blast. The crowd was pretty cool, but they could have been a little bit more co-operative. While I felt completely out of place most of the night, it was a really great show.

Seven Kingdoms: 3/10
    Holy Grail: 5.5/10
    Blind Guardian: 9/10

1. Sacred Worlds
    2. Welcome to Dying
    3. Born In a Mourning Hall
    4. Nightfall
    5. Fly
    6. Time Stands Still (at the Iron Hill)
    7. Lost in the Twilight Hall
    8. Bright Eyes
    9. Lord of the Rings
    10. A Voice in the Dark
    11. Imaginations From the Other Side
    -------------------------------
    12. Wheel of Time
    13. The Bard's Song - In the Forest
    14. Valhalla
    15. Mirror Mirror
    My Top Albumsidrinkwine732's Profile Page
  • Ace_Deputy_CheezeAce_Deputy_Cheeze Posts: 14,736 jayfacer
    I wanted to see BG. D:
    Deputy_Cheeze's Profile Page Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • mrAPEmrAPE Posts: 39,476 moneytalker
    So did I but they did not come here
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
    he did 18 songs....but he messed up 3 ish times.....and the sound was good but eh...and also the guitar solo was a boring solo in the first place but the fact that they put a fan in front of the guitar player to blow his hair in the wind er w/e just annoyed...the drum solo was freaking awesome tho..i don't want it to sound like it was a bad show tho...it was good...just not quite what i was expecting
    Territory
    Go fuck yourself.

Glad you had a good time.
    lol...i guess they did Territory every other date. guess i got lucky...love that song!