Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

bible/gov bashing for shane

Comments

• Bottle_TreeBottle_Tree Posts: 7,166 just the tip
    edited February 2012
    I just don't see how it's so absurd for people to make up shit about history and things they can't explain. We do it all the time. None of this is physical evidence to show that aliens have come here before. It's exactly like a religious person trying to prove through texts and accounts taken from ancient civilizations that god and miracles exist. Can you not see how similar both of these claims are?
  • SATANSATAN Posts: 25,824 spicy boy

i'm not really arguing with you and i see your point. this is more of the debate that i continually have with bible-thumpers. i really don't believe he existed though. i think storytellers mixed together a bunch of separate myths (again, mostly osiris) into one being and slapped a name on him. i've read a lot that points to that being the case. i don't see him as being different from any other dispelled deity from other cultures such as odin or zeus.
    Oh dude, I totally understand. And as I said earlier, it's not the exact Jesus from the Bible I believe, but that there was some dude they just attached all these ridiculous stories to. I don't even admit to super religious people I think Jesus existed because they wouldn't understand what exactly I believe and they would try to see that as a way to try and convert me or some shit.
    there is pretty concrete evidence that a man named jesus the Nazarene existed. most of the stuff i have read have been contrary to what satan is saying
    link pl0x
  • That_Guy_ArloThat_Guy_Arlo Posts: 14,026 master of ceremonies
    edited February 2012
    Believe what you want to and believe aliens never came here at all
    And it's not that I believe aliens never came here, it's a lack of belief that they ever came here. You need to know the difference between the two.

You're making speculation as to what you think might make sense and believing it because you have no better explanation. This is the 'argument from ignorance' fallacy. Just because we can't currently explain everything scientifically doesn't mean that any explanation should be considered truthful until we have a better one.
  • WakeOfAshesWakeOfAshes Posts: 21,665 destroyer of motherfuckers
    do i think that added 'special powers' to jesus over the years? yes
    where there other self proclaimed 'prophets' or 'men of god' at the time? many
    do i think additional attributes of other godly past figures could have been added to enhance jesus' story? def possible

but then man existed plain an simple, if u dont wanna believe it ur being biased to fit your own needs
    This.

I kinda like to think of Jesus a little bit how I watch David Blaine today. Do I or anyone think David is God? Fuck no. This is 2012, we dont believe in modern day reincarnations of Gods. But what if David existed back then? Can you imagine the legends that would have been handed down? I watch David now a days and think "How the fuck did he do that???"
    David blain is seriosuly a beast... i dont even think jesus was anything even close to that tho..i think he was more like a ghandi figure and that all his special powers shit was all added on by men at later dates.. i dont necessarily even think it was his apostles that did it but people even later on when they had those 'council' type shit when they really got the religion by the balls... they had to have some special power type thingys tho pretty early on cuz the christian church was founded not to long after jesus' death by peter.. so idk maybe the apostles did speak of his miracles.. it would be very interesting to find out
    Yeah this does seem likely... I've always put more weight on the words quoted by the bible as being spoken by christ. I've always figured that perhaps people were pretty interested in what he had to say and would try and document it as exactly as possible. And of the words quoted of him, he doesnt talk about miracles he preformed. He was probably very much like ghandi.

But back to Blaine. Im thinking about starting a church for him. What if he really is god taking human form again? I've got no explanation for his miracles. If you dont either, then God is the only possible logical conclusion.
    i love this conversation...and you guys >:D<
  • NolaFree810NolaFree810 Posts: 36,796 moneytalker

i'm not really arguing with you and i see your point. this is more of the debate that i continually have with bible-thumpers. i really don't believe he existed though. i think storytellers mixed together a bunch of separate myths (again, mostly osiris) into one being and slapped a name on him. i've read a lot that points to that being the case. i don't see him as being different from any other dispelled deity from other cultures such as odin or zeus.
    Oh dude, I totally understand. And as I said earlier, it's not the exact Jesus from the Bible I believe, but that there was some dude they just attached all these ridiculous stories to. I don't even admit to super religious people I think Jesus existed because they wouldn't understand what exactly I believe and they would try to see that as a way to try and convert me or some shit.
    there is pretty concrete evidence that a man named jesus the Nazarene existed. most of the stuff i have read have been contrary to what satan is saying
    link pl0x
    most stuff i read on topics like this do not come from the internet since i find that the internet manipulates things to suit there own beliefs more often than actual published books (though both still do it)

but i feel like this link provides a more realistic POV pretty similar to how i would perceive things

http://www.secularnewsdaily.com/2010/11/04/did-jesus-exist/
    edited February 2012
    link pl0x
    Nolas link is pretty good.
    link pl0x
    There isnt a website for everything you know. The Romans were actually pretty good about documentation. and there was quite a bit written on Jesus of Nazarene. None of it proves he preformed the miracles written about in the bible. Nor does it prove he is God. Just proves someone of that name did exist during that time.
    did they record his crucifixion?
    they as in who, the romans??
    here's a good link for you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historicity_of_Jesus#Greco-Roman_Pagan_sources

Im not really sure why it even matters though? You dont believe in God, and I dont believe in God... What does it matter if there was some dude named Jesus that lived 2000+ years ago? How does that change what either of us believe? It doesnt for me.
    it doesnt change how i believe but as sort of a historian myself i am very interested in the topic of religion and literal manipulation
    keep in mind im still not 100 percent sure jesus existed as well, i believe there is enough evidence to prove it but its over 2000 years old and there is a lot of question against it so id still be willing to entertain other ideas
    My interest in history is pretty low. I investigate what I have to investigate to get the answers I need, and then im kinda done with it. My non-belief in God has nothing to do with the existence of Jesus.
  • NecrothulhuNecrothulhu Posts: 33,444 master of ceremonies
    This is why I should have stayed outta this thread and zipped my shit. I believe aliens have come down here a decent amount of times in the past. I think they sped shit up as well and caused ancient civilizations to make up their gods. Some religions and gods are practiced and still believed in to this day. I don't care what evidence there is to support it or who debunks it. That's what I believe at this point in my life. I also think the idea of one god you have to please in order to get into a nice place when you die is absurd
    imageimage
    keep in mind im still not 100 percent sure jesus existed as well, i believe there is enough evidence to prove it but its over 2000 years old and there is a lot of question against it so id still be willing to entertain other ideas
    I think there is enough evidence present to not argue against his existence. I dont think it really proves anything though
    im surprised that stupid picture i posted on page 1 has led to 7-8 pages of debate. lol
  • NecrothulhuNecrothulhu Posts: 33,444 master of ceremonies
    Shit happens lol
    imageimage
    I think there is enough evidence present to not argue against his existence. I dont think it really proves anything though
    hmm i disagree, its old enough to present the case that he couldnt exist..honestly there is not enough proof either way for me to say for certain but it seems like there is enough for me to be comfortable...if someone gave a convincing arguemnet against it tho i would def entertain the idea..either way i dont think in my lifetime or possibly ever we will really know for sure but its fun to speculate
    Im not really sure why it even matters though? You dont believe in God, and I dont believe in God... What does it matter if there was some dude named Jesus that lived 2000+ years ago? How does that change what either of us believe? It doesnt for me.
    just more ammo for my arsenal. it's not necessary for my argument here, but for future arguments i'll likely have